Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Holtzman sucked I don't know how anyone could like her. An embarrassing attempt at an Egon character.

The worst part of GB2016 is all the actresses can do good work and either the script or Feig failed them.

gregday posted:

It really bothers me that often the equipment in GB 2016 destroys the ghosts rather than contains them. Just another item on a list of things where I feel like the creators just fundamentally did not get Ghostbusters.

I don't get why they thought a big dumb action scene is what was needed. It's not like they went crazy when they captured the dragon from what I remember.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'd throw in it was in dire need of editing too. I have to admit I'm surprised there's been no fan edit made yet.

As YouTuber Shaun points out in his good review that mostly talks about editing you'd end up with a movie that's 45 minutes long.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"This character is a terrible Egon" is a comment on them trying to ape the original and doing it poorly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

I literally don't remember who Rowan even is, and I watched the whole movie

He's the villain :)

weekly font posted:

It felt like a victim of major rewrites/reshoots following the backlash.

Gotta be that or they just presumed the backlash would happen which isn't the biggest leap but seems too perfect.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Like I said in my initial post, the bit where Holtzmann breaks out the dual pistols was fantastic. Granted that was a whole 45 seconds but it was still the best part of the movie.

It was bad actually.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ghosts are demonic and must be kept in some sort of dimensional prison.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Everyone knows who the girl is why is that a spoiler.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He said he didn't think he could give it a fair shake since he'd be comparing it to the original and a corner of the internet blew it up to him being a misogynist weirdo.

He doesn't own his channel anymore so it's possible the company wanted to do a video on the new one to strike while the iron's hot for views.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I had no idea he’d sold his channel.

I didn't know until there was a plagiarism issue with one of his videos and it was explained someone else writes the scripts so it wasn't on James. I was under the impression it was all him and whichever friends were still around until then (though I haven't watched in ages).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I always assumed crossing the streams in the first movie destroyed Gozer's dimension (and with it Gozer) not that it just closed the portal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh yeah I don't mean it can't be taken that way but with them setting up that crossing the streams would destroy the universe earlier I'd always assumed that crossing them into/through the portal would do that to Gozer's home dimension. And protects us from a lazy reuse of the villain from the first film in a much later sequel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Karloff posted:

I never took crossing the streams to mean destroying the universe, just that it would kill the person and people in the area, "all life as you know it stopping".

This means everything to me not just "you'll die". When someone says "the world as you know it will change" doesn't mean the world is changing just for me personally.

The world is over now that Gozer is in our dimension so they had to do anything to stop it no matter the risk.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

Dan and Ernie deserve one more top billing movie.

So do Annie and Rick.

I also want to see Staypuft in amazing cgi, sue me

I mean...it'll be CGI.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Surprised Afterlife was considered a success when it made less than the original did in straight up dollars and made less than a 1/3 when adjusting for inflation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can't imagine not rolling your eyes at "the Spengler family story" but I saw people on twitter saying they cried when they saw young Leia which was one of the more embarrassing moves in a franchise full of embarrassing moves so there's no accounting for taste.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

They cried when they saw Leia at the end of Rogue One? Or they cried when they say child Leia in the Obi-Wan show?

Either way LOL.

The latter. But yeah either one would be funny. There is a part of me that's jealous of all the people that love chowing down on the slop it's certainly a happier life.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

2016 is a bad movie but I disliked Afterlife a great deal more. Don't think I've ever felt more insulted watching a movie before and it certainly didn't help knowing how many people were lapping up everything making me mentally roll my eyes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

This. Afterlife made me embarrassed

If I hadn't seen I would've thought "Egon shows up as a CGI ghost at the end to help" was a troll like I thought final season GOT and Rise of Skywalker spoilers had to have been.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I liked ghost Harold Ramis very much :colbert:

I don't even mean this as an insult because I find it charming but that goes without saying when it comes to you.

Ghostbusters 2 was the last shot at making a good Ghostbusters sequel. It's something that only really works with that group and in a specific time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Spoilers ahead for Firehouse:

Welp, it looks like William Atherton is back as Walter Peck.

No one's ever really gone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

The new EPA villain goes to shut off the containment unit and Ghost Pecks arm appears and holds his hand as he pulls the lever down a tear gently rolling down his cheek as their eyes meet.

lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Timby posted:

I'd prefer they just let the "franchise" die. Ghostbusters II was a soulless beat-for-beat remake of the first movie.

Then Afterlife basically remade the first movie again, just with added nostalgia bait.

Making a good comedy sequel is like trying to draw blood from a stone. It can happen (Addams Family Values), but it's rare.

Indiana. Let it go.

I think 2016 is probably the worse movie but I disliked Afterlife a lot more. Felt like a fan film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Blow it up so they can do something new with franchise

I'm interested to see if they can do something more cynical than Harold Ramis ghost. Seems impossible but I'll be impressed if they manage to outdo it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I found it disgusting and offensive

If what I saw on Twitter is true The Flash movie outdid it but yeah I don't care who signed off on it or gave their blessing in an era of "remember this???" Harold Ramis ghost was (at the time) the nadir.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What did the Flash do?

Not reshoot everything involving Ezra Miller?

Deepfake Christopher Reeve Superman

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

gently caress offfffffff.

I was expecting that or Adam West when you said that and it still pisses me off.

Adam West Batman has been rumored for the past few months and I don't know if it made it in but I saw someone on twitter who said they were so pissed off about what I posted they spoiled it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's funny that letterboxed pan and scan is so bad it was something I noticed as like a four year old watching GB2 on VHS. I knew something was hosed up but of course didn't know what exactly. Probably more obvious since I'd watch the two flicks back to back all the time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It stunk but I am legitimately jealous of your ability to enjoy seemingly everything - it'd be a lot more fun than being critical. Afterlife was a lazy rehash in ways that'd make GB2 blush and I'd say is worse than 2016 which was already pretty bad (but for different reasons). I thought it was the nadir of these kind of nostalgia baiting sequel-reboots especially with ghostly Ramis showing up. Laughed when the screenshots first got posted on Twitter it was like when Rise of Skywalker spoilers started getting posted.

The trailer for the new one looks awful and the title is terrible. The series - such that it was - died with Ramis as it's nothing without the chemistry between the main three.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just call this WhyILoveMovies.jpg

Hell yeah

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

deoju posted:

There's been some discussion of Ghostbusters in a thread in GBS. It starts on the second to last post on that page.

As down as I am on Afterlife or the semi-reboot on the other side if someone doesn't like the original Ghostbusters I'm probably not going to listen to their takes on anything filmic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

COVID is a lot different from a giant marshmallow entity walking the streets of the largest city in the US. And in the sequels it's not that some portion of the country doesn't accept it happened it's the residents of the city not accepting it happened. Sure there are 9/11 Truthers but most of the metropolitan area isn't composed of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It wasn't ok in 2 it's one of the major issues with the movie and an excuse to do a retread.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lobok posted:

Are we using the right word here? The 2nd movie never says people forgot or didn't know about the events of 1, but that it was all blamed on the Ghostbusters and we're meant to infer the number of people who know the truth is vanishingly small. If most people assume that the events of 1 were not an interdimensional cross-rip but just a laser lightshow with explosives then yeah eventually people would move on. Stay-Puft only travelled like, a few blocks maybe?

The events of 2 might be harder to explain with the Statue of Liberty but I suppose it could be a new and improved version of the same trick as Stay-Puft especially if they were thought to use hallucinogenic gases on people.

No we've got it right - 2's setup is the equivalent of most people in the metropolitan area thinking planes crashing into WTC were holograms it's why I made the comparison to Truthers. Truthers accept something occurred but reject the obvious in favor of ridiculous conspiracies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

Don't give a gently caress. All the way hyoed for Janine bustin' ghosts.

This is one of the more embarrassing parts of the trailer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

looks like they found a fuckin way to shove in Vigo's slime into this movie...

lol as shameless as Afterlife was this still surprises me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

The film features this spoiler heavily. They use the slim blowers to reverse the effects of the main villain. The main villain kills via fear itself, which visually presents itself as being frozen to death, but Egon sacrifices his afterlife to infuse his love for his family into the emotion slime and that love counteracts the fear so they spray everyone down with it and they unfreeze.

lol please be real

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL the new movie starts with a flashback to 1904 when the original firefighters from Hook & Ladder 8 got called out to deal with The Death Chill. Also in the middle of the movie there's an extended exposition dump where they tell the story of how the main villain got trapped in that brass ball back in pre-Sumerian time, told via an animated sequence

This is dumber than the egon ghost love slime.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's exactly what I want out of a Ghostbusters movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh and I didn't click those spoilers from a few pages ago that you were all melting down about, and going back to read them and they're FAKE hahaha

EDIT: Also, I enjoyed the cold open. Much better than the 2016 cold open but that bar was so low it was in the basement

I'm disappointed because over the top bad is more interesting than boring bad.

CelticPredator posted:

I don't associate this person with spoilers in anyway so idk why I would

Yeah to me it was more like the Rise of Skywalker or latter Game of Thrones spoilers where they sounded extremely fake because of how stupid they were but turned out to be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harold Ramis being dead means there can't be another good Ghostbusters movie. They had their shot with 2 and blew it by being safe.