Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the cobalt cheese is definitely the easiest way of making money and as a bonus you can upgrade your exosuit at every station on the way

it's great for the early game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

also you can just buy them outright if you see them floating around a system, fly towards the fleet and an icon should pop up over one of them

3 star economies have better chances of spawning high class freighters

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

wait so capital ships ONLY spawn in freighter rescue missions?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Is it possible to encounter freighters that aren't being attacked by pirates? I can't remember the last time that happened

they spawn all the time in certain systems, I think more commonly in higher economies

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Are there any functional or stat differences between S and A class multitools if they have the same number of slots?

I've got a 24 slot A class that I really like the look of and I'm not sure if I should be bothered hunting for an S class version.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

is it just me or is the amount of nanites needed to upgrade a ship just ridiculous even compared to some of the other grinds in this game

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Its a shitload faster to sit at a space station mulching A-grade ships and selling the upgrades they poop out for nanites than it is to sit at a trading post save scumming until an s-class appears.

it's just annoying that you have to farm in a way that feels like an exploit to get even anywhere close to the amount of required nanites

like it's 500 nanites for an S-Class mod and you need maybe 16 each of those for your ship, exosuit and multitool but then you need 50k to go from an A-Class ship to an S-Class?

every other resource in the game has a way of minimising the grind but for nanites, nope, go sit in a space station for three hours in order to farm up an order of magnitude more than you'd need for any other purpose

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

also standing planters give you free carbon every 10 minutes or so

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

and hey, if you're worried about it breaking your progression or whatever then just send it on to someone else

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm not really sure why someone in the Anomaly gave me 78 million worth of goods but maybe I gave off a new player vibe? I guess my ship looks similar to the starter one but its an A Class fighter with fully upgraded inventory slots, though I guess they can't see that.

sometimes i'm in a rush and i just offload a bunch of junk to whoever's closest

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

There's also an option to turn off player damage without disabling multiplayer entirely.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

What do you have to collect to turn in for this week's Nexus mission?

16 Cable Pods iirc

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

so we're getting fruit trees then?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

wow that's considerably more than i was expecting

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Excited to check out all the new stuff, this is way more than I expected!

The mining nerf is a bit of a bummer, though. My activated indium farm that was making 500 million every 16 hours now appears to make 500 million every 106 hours instead. I may have to go back to making fusion igniters, assuming they didn't screw with that crafting tree too much. Or just set up 2 or 3 more indium farms in other places.

is cash even a concern once you've got like $2B in the bank?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I have never died once in this game, not even sure what happens if you do.

There's a bit of a learning curve for sure but it's really not a punishing game at all.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Solvency posted:

Apparently really asymmetric ships are a thing now?

They've always been a thing on Explorer ships but yeah that looks like a new cockpit part for the Trader class? Are there new ship parts? The patch notes didn't even mention that.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Ah never mind then, guess I've just never noticed it before.

Some parts seem much rarer than others in my experience.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Toast King posted:

all the nice little QoL mods and other fun stuff

I never even considered mods for this game, are there any good / must have ones?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Honestly, my closest thing to a cool base is my freighter, where I have a museum room for all the anomaly stuff I collected, and a bunch of storage rooms arranged neatly, and my plant gek guarding the secret back room where we grow the space weed

This is me, I've never bothered setting up a planet base but my freighter is decked out.

Thundarr posted:

Are there still missions where you help out a vykeen and they just give you a multi-tool for free? This newbie tool isn't cutting it and I don't remember class C tools with a few more slots costing so much.

The armorer for your base gives you a free multitool at the end of his quest iirc

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Kestral posted:

I'm considering finally checking NMS out, but I'm wondering: is there any kind of structure or progression to gameplay? Are you working toward something, or is it essentially hopping around planets looking for interesting visuals?

There's a pretty solid crafting progression, upgrading your ship, your suit, your multitool, eventually your base, your space car, your mech, your freighter, your army of frigates.

What hooked me was that it always felt like there was just one more thing you could upgrade or optimise or discover that would noticeably improve your gameplay in some way or another.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Vyacheslav posted:

It seems like they got rid of carbon crystals. Are there any remaining refiner tricks to get lots of carbon? I'm tired of the strafing run method of harvesting it.

I just have a freighter full of the standing planters, they produce a shitload of carbon.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

god i wish there was a way to filter the galaxy map for a certain type of planet, or at least like yellow star level 1 conflict or whatever

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

if there's no nice planets at all in your starting system then you should be pretty close to building a warp drive so you can start scouring the galaxy

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

there's nothing really to be gained by starting over so personally i'd just keep on trucking unless you really enjoy those first few hours of survival

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

the walkers drop brains which are used in a couple of crafting recipes but otherwise there's not much point in fighting them

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i mined a rock and it jumped up on legs and ran away

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

JohnClark posted:

I'm getting back into this game after a long time away, and I'm wondering if there's a way to reclaim geobays after I deploy them on a random planet, or if I have to rebuild them each time?

You can delete stuff you've built by holding down Ctrl while in the build menu on keyboard, not sure for controller.

You get all your materials refunded.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

In case anyone else runs into the same issue-- Portals absolutely work on frigates (as outgoing, not incoming, but still), but you may need to inexplicably just...drop and re-place it a couple times to get it to recognize that it's powered?

This is true for most things built on a freighter in my experience; light inexplicably not powered? Delete it and move it one pixel to the left!

Libluini posted:

Hey, that's useful to know!

Thank gently caress I built a mech bay on my Budullangr-crafting base, this now means whenever I remember to put this upgrade into my freighter, it's suddenly NMS: Battletech Edition. :v:

I've got both summon freighter and summon mech set to hotkeys and there's few things more satisfying in this game than having your freighter warp into the upper atmosphere and dropping a mech from orbit all with in a few seconds of landing on a hitherfore untouched world.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 30, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

What's the best way to get the freighter upgrades? I think they're called salvaged frigate modules. The wiki seems to be saying that searching abandoned ships is the easiest way other than attacking random ships for a rep loss.

iirc as long as you only pop the cargo containers on the big frigates and don't blow up the frigates and fighters you don't lose any rep

far and away the fastest way to do it

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

as long as your base had a portal you should be able to teleport back to it from anywhere

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found a website where you can search for ships on a per-part basis and now I don't have to fly around for 100 hours and am 105 million kopeks lighter.
https://nmsce.com

that site is great but also don't forget to check out the nmsce reddit

it's not as nice to use as the site but if you figure out the name of the part you're looking for you can do keyword searches and get a lot more results

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm guessing it's just bad luck that the last 3 systems I've jumped to are all extreme planets? My first couple systems were pretty varied, but I'd like to not be continually feeding my hazard protection to stay alive for more than a couple minutes.

:xcom:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I basically just do the kill pirates and kill monstrosities Nexus missions, the rest of 'em can get hosed.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

Now I can finally settle down, kit out my MT and actually focus on the game!

not so fast buster, you also need a good ship, good freighter, good frigate fleet, good planetary base, a bunch of money, loads of nanites, and a maxed out inventory

THEN you can start the game

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

the ultimate lol about this game is that if you want to do the thing it advertises on the tin, namely just explore the universe, you can actually do a pretty fine job of that in the starter ship. launch fuel and hyperdrive fuel aren't that expensive, and all those hundreds of squares of inventory space don't enhance the exploration experience much at all. all that other stuff is nice if you want it, but it's technically all tangential to the core gameplay loop.

you say this like my lizard brain responds to reason

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Captain France posted:

Someone else will have to say what's actually a good plant for that because I've mostly just been growing weeds and fungi to burn for carbon and frost crystals for glass, but that's another passive thing--just run through and harvest the stuff every day, (Gravitino balls? Are gravitino balls the best choice if you don't want to craft?)

Circuit boards only require 4 plants to craft and are easily the best bang for your buck if you want to make easy money from farming.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 14, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

You can view sentinel activity from orbit which means if that's all you're looking for you can scan pretty much the entire system from your warp in point. Jumping from system to system it shouldn't take too long to find a sentinel free non-radioactive hellhole.

Any planet that doesn't specifically list high sentinel activity should be pretty chill.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Devorum posted:

If I just a abandon it for a different planet, can I still do all my quests on the new planet? Do I have to delete the old base?

It's been a while since I've done the starting quest but yeah I'm pretty sure you can complete the quest anywhere and you don't have to delete anything.

Worst case scenario you can warp back to the old base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Just to be clear that means the very first one to ever spawn, if you skip out on that encounter or turn down the freighter the next encounter will have a chance to be a capital ship but will still be free.