Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Looks nice so far, but the character customization is more a gimmick than anything else. It's really confusing to me why they put it only at a certain part of the game, so you can't actually make a new character, just change the one you have.

Which is OK, but breaks my immersion so hard I'll probably never use that drat thing

At least the framerate is OK on PS4, OwlFancier really had me scared for a moment :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, after looking around in one of my old saves and starting new to test the character creation, learning that character "creation" actually doesn't exist I decided to restart again and welp.

Turns out that was a bad idea, because the paradise planet of my first attempt at 1.5 was replaced by a hellish desert with active Sentinels. (At least it was just one in my starting area I could run away from.) Then I learned my ship was at the top of a high mountain. Ha ha ha, very funny, you game you :suicide:

Still, a lot more fun then the starts I had before. And definitely less deadly then the one start on a green acid poison planet I had with 1.4

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Update on my start in hell: Successfully marched across a firestorm to get the important part needed to repair my ship, found some strange lifeforms who apparently think nothing of 100+ °C. Lucky beasts! I had to gargle Yellow Stuff like a junky to keep my protection up.

Climbed the mountain to my ship again. Accidentally made two refineries after leaving the first one behind the ship and getting confused. Refined some stuff, now everything is ready for take-off. But oops, time's up! Tomorrow is work after all. :v:

Anyway, game is good.

Edit:

Also my boring rear end old PS4 runs the game fine. Seems I got lucky here. No low framerates or anything. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Some random pics I threw onto Twitter: (Also I learned I don't know how to embed Twitter-pics into SA.)

Your Starship is on a mountain

This was when I learned that the procgen really is better this time around.

Doom Plants

My entire starting planet had these weird smoking doom plants everywhere.

Three seconds later: Firestorm

To get this one very important part for repairing my ship, I had to climb down my mountain on the other side and cross this rather hilly landscape. Three seconds after I started to climb down, a firestorm arrived to slowly roast me.

Cave too late

On my way back to the ship I stumbled over some caves. Those would have been a loving good place to hide from that firestorm earlier! :argh:

Double Refiner

Some dumbassery on my part resulted in me building the refinery, twice. Of course I deleted that second one, but wow I'm dumb.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

To post tweets just paste the URL into the text field with no other tags.

Weird, I tried that and it didn't work. The preview just showed the URL turning into links.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hamelekim posted:

It won't preview for you. It only shows up when you hit submit.

gently caress! Tricked again by Radium!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

is the second planet you find typically a lush one? I've seen a few people post that they've encountered what I have (a ringed paradise planet). Is that true of all the tutorial solar systems? I am excited to get out into the galaxy and start truly exploring!

Nope.

1st planet: Hellworld (hot, firestorms)
2nd planet: Empty wasteland (no atmosphere, plants releasing toxic gas underground)
3rd planet: Toxic slime planet (mushrooms, poison rain, toxic mud, disturbingly green)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, as fun as base building on a lush, vibrant ocean planet is, there is something seriously wrong if you can't find any "Dihydrogen" on a loving ocean planet :suicide:

Now I had to stop everything and emergency safe + log out because my life support kept running out. Mind you, I have tons of carbon but apparently my future tech can't accept water not in crystal form, so I can't craft gel to support myself. There is also no oxygen here. Apparently all those creatures are methan-breathers or something?

Any idea what I can do now, except hoping the few crystals I found respawn after restarting the game?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

join a random multiplayer game and see if you can find some on the planet there.

I don't have PS+, so that's right out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

limaCAT posted:

Oxygen, red plants and they appear on scan and they glow at night. You can also get it from the tentacle plant things that appear with a big exclamation mark.

Dihydrogen iis the blue crystals, and along with sodium it too appears on scan.

Thanks for trying to help me, but I already knew all of this. The problem is, nothing of that poo poo is here, except a little bit of the blue crystals and one (1) tentacle plant. I already ran through that stuff, and restarting only gave me some random other stuff, like more buried treasure, but not live-giving wonder plants.

But nevermind, I solved this problem. Turns out dying refills your life support and as my death and save spots are right next to each other, I can keep on building my first base!

I call this death scumming. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

limaCAT posted:

Do you have a ship already? Can't you just take the materials on another planet?

That would take a shitload more time then just staying here and continuing to work on my base

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, apparently there is breath plants and blue crystals and poo poo on my base planet, it's just that A my base is far away enough from the main land all that poo poo was out of range and B after I died the first time my scanner broke and I didn't notice.

I was just repairing it when I died a second time. This time by a Sentinel I had to ignore in my racing to try to get my scanner repaired to finally find some breath stuff again before my life support could run out a second time. :suicide:

Still not much of that life-giving stuff around, but enough to keep me alive. Ironically, the two death-related refills where enough to let me finish my first (tiny, wooden) base and now I'm supposed to go back to space. I foresee me buying a lot of oxygen tanks in my future

s.i.r.e. posted:

On that last point, how big can animals get? I haven't seen anything that's utterly immense in size yet but I have seen super small things.

Hotwaterworld has these weird, huge stalkers who apparently eat gravitino balls

The toxic planet with poisonous mushrooms and death rain I was on before that one had giant red dinosaurs with beaks. The things nearly trampled me on multiple occasions and are mainly the reason I decided to build my first shelter on another planet

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, there is really something wonky with the balance right now. I'm playing on normal and still spend half of my ca. 6 hours playtime in this new run just keeping (and sometimes failing to) everything running.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just make sure to bring lots of credits if you want more cargo slots. Your normal and tech upgrades start with 1k and 5k credits respectively, but your cargo slots start at 50k. I did not expect this and blew all my money on a cargo upgrade I didn't even need yet (as you now start with 24 normal slots already).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

That's only part of the story. The problem is there's no fundamental difference between the behavior of Normal sentinels and "Passive" (or rare or whatever the other low-sentinel levels are.) They are always on you when you first land on a planet, and they're everywhere and you have to run from them. They all attack you if you mine when you're in sight, even the "passive" ones which isn't at all passive. They also never stop attacking you even if you kill them instantly unless you hide in a building (or sometimes a cave that you dig but that's not always reliable, they've phased through the ground to get me.)

The even worse problem is if you're being hunted by sentinels and you go off into space. Then you have to get back to a planet and hide in a building because they will never go away, ever. You can kill them and just get more. There's no hiding from them in space whatsoever.

The issue is that all sentinels go perma-aggressive if they see you mining and your only recourse is to hide. That's stupid.

I've been attacked by Sentinels a couple times and this is just not true, at least not for the passive ones. If you run away from them, a timer appears and counts down. When it reaches zero, the Sentinel loses interest and calms down.

They're also kind of dumb, if they notice you mining, they at first just fly into your face and scan you with their weird light show. You just have do nothing, or slowly back away, and they won't attack. Then as soon as they move on, you can go back to mining. Just don't just ignore them and mine while they're right there angrily scanning you. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's also neat that just scanning animals gives you nanites. So if you run low, just jump to a couple new planets and scan wildlife.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

That is exactly what I said - you have to go and hide. The space ones are the ones you can't hide from so don't leave atmosphere before clearing yourself. But the point is hiding is your only option - you should be able to fight your way out too if you want. And still, passive sentinels should not behave completely identical to normal sentinels. That's the issue.

Well, I have to take your word for it, I actually have never met normal sentinels, only the passive ones. But as I said, if you don't want to run and hide, you can just not make them angry. The passive ones I've met at least, are passive enough to hover around while you're doing large-scale excavations, as long as you stop when they start scanning you.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ShadowedFlames posted:

Get close to an animal, have X (10-20ish) of whatever they want to eat, hold interact. You may have to chase them down to finish feeding them.

The one I’ve fed wanted carbon but in older saves I’d seen silicate elements and I think one was Iron so you’ll have to be quick to see what they want before they run from you.

Ha ha, what? So on my base planet there are these giant stalkers who eat those hellish expensive gravitino balls, does this mean I could hand over 10-20 of those things and one of these monsters would eat them and become my friend, too? :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

Everyone hyping up these scanner upgrades. Meanwhile 7 warps later and still haven't seen anything bigger than C rank Scan mods

Don't knock C-class Scan mods! I grabbed a cheap one from my first station and was surprised to see it had a +1000% bonus to fauna-scans. Sure, plants and rocks give no bonus, but every animal scanned now gives tons of money -and this from a C-rank mod. So I suggest buying one of those as long as you can't find a better one!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

Hey I'm a stupid newbie but: is there a way to destroy your home/base? I just built it on the planet where I was asked to build it but it's a crappy swampy toxic ugly land and I want to get rid of it and have my home in some magic sunny orange&blue&green planet where I can sit on my porch and stare at them beautiful pterodactyls while smoking pot and eating magic mushrooms :okpos: :birddrugs: :shroom:

This, but similar: Is there a way to destroy parts of your base? When building my first one, I accidentally put down a wall somewhere in the ocean, a bit off from the base. And now it irritates me every time I go out to look at the fish that there is this weird wall stuck in the water

Edit:

Oh, and something else: Do you need a teleporter build in your base to teleport to it from a station? I wasn't sure if that receiver-thing is only for ships or if you need it in your base, too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Press CTRL while in construct mode and hovering over the part and you should be able to delete it. I don't know what the button is on console, but it should (probably) say on the UI.

For the portal: No, you can teleport to the base whether you have a portal installed there or not. It's extremely convenient to have one, though, so I can recommend installing one.

Thanks! (Sadly, my PS4-UI doesn't tell me what button I should press to delete it, so I guess I have to experiment a bit.)

And I'm relieved to here I can just teleport to my base from wherever, I tried it once after setting it up and got discouraged when the teleporter onboard the space station didn't work. I guess I'll try again after I've finished harvesting some whispering eggs!

Edit:

Which would be a hell of a lot easier if those freaking little larvae cores wouldn't glitch into their surroundings at the slightest provocation! There's nothing more annoying than having to feel around in a huge patch of slime to grab a thing made of slightly less liquid slime while alien horrors are biting your rear end! :argh:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 29, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

Oh boi dis bois: Sean Murray received death threaths over butterflies

So, anyone saw butterflies? Coz I ain't :toughguy:

I got some large flying trilobites. That impressed me a lot more than just butterflies. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

The Vy'keen are a bunch of losers with stupid faces. Glory to the glorious Gek empire who will one day hopefully crush the Vy'keen and wipe them out from the galaxy

If you read the Gek lore you will be surprised to find that the Gek were once an empire of slavers, ruling over the Korvax with an iron fist.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, Sentinels really don't like it if you try to crack a manufacturing plant.

Just had to run to the hills, I thought. But this planet is so hilly I kept getting slowed down by having to go up and down all the time, and the Sentinels always got close enough to detect again me after a while. After a couple minutes of getting chased through this dumb desert, I finally shook them by boring a tunnel into a mountain, and then continuing to bore underground until I happened to get out with the Sentinels still on the wrong side of the mountain.

Then I ran like hell back to my ship. The Sentinels deactivated just when I got back. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Get a plasma launcher, blast through the doors before they even get to you, then just wait them out inside :v:

Just needed a second attempt with my puny blaster, easy. Something about factories seems to really confuse Sentinels, though: One followed me into the building but couldn't detect me, even when floating right in front of me. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Welp, my first serious bug: Landing next to an alien ruin spit me out inside the ruin. Reloading didn't help, as the game auto-saved with me trapped inside the walls like a spooky ghost.

Now I'm sitting right next to the factory again. After manually loading, 30+ minutes of progress lost. Time to annoy some Sentinels again. :suicide:

Edit:

The really infuriating part? I just found a broken down ship worth 6 million. I added it to my collection, because I wanted to use it at a later date to trade-in or something. Forget it, lost in space and time now.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 30, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ha ha ha ha, now I've hosed myself over again: I got back to the huge, expensive ship I found and claimed it again. But this time, I wanted to repair the thrusters because I saw how easy that was.

Now my old ship is gone and I have this barely flying expensive peace of poo poo. Sure, I could fly it to a space station and exchange it against another, actually not broken one, but my old ship had tons of poo poo in its cargo and lots of upgrades installed. Those are gone now. Is there a way to call it back later, without a freighter (as I still don't have one)?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

Can you not just use the quick menu to select and summon it on a planet? It should work for any ship you've claimed.

Oh, that works? Totally forgot about that, I have to try that later.

froody guy posted:

(Un)bork all the things.

No need to tell us how you totally didn't fill your freighter's cargo with platinum.

Nope. Just some stuff like my blueprint analyzer, some relics and other random stuff. Annoying to replace. What really hurt was losing that ship just after I installed several upgrades to hyperdrive, shields and a rocket launcher. :shepface:

Of course in the meantime, I went to a space station, got gripped by gold fever after I noticed I can combine stuff worth 600k to get stuff worth 2 million (that factory I talked about earlier got me the crafting receipt for cryo pumps). And since getting the right materials involved running around the station a lot talking to Gek traders, I got incredibly lucky and just as I hit the 11 million mark, some really sweet looking exotic ship showed up. It cost about 10 million, so I traded in that broken hauler I had accidentally switched to, reducing the cost to about 8 million and presto: Sweet looking new ride, and still a couple million to spare.

Now if it turns out I can call my old ship back, I'll just take out what I want and send it right back to space storage!

(Also since I have to stop now and go to sleep for work tomorrow, screenshots have to wait for now, but trust me, this white-golden marvel is worth it, even if it just has one slot more than the lovely shuttle I lost access to when trading up to the broken super-hauler. :v: )

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 30, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh good, they're following the Elite Dangerous track of 'our players found they can actually make money this way, PATCH IT'

Wow, this is the first time I found a way to make money and made money before it got patched out.

In other news, when I got back to playing NMS, I found out some random person had send me the message "I am not a punching bag" back in May. Kind of random, but OK weird person, you do you

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just had my second ever pirate fight were I didn't just lose or had to run away, mostly because the pirates spend a lot of time shooting a freighter instead of me. (It was the scripted free freighter battle)

Got to try out all the weapons I had installed on my ship: Phase beams do good damage, but trying to aim the beams is like trying to wrangle space lances thousands of kilometers long. Even with pirate ships hurtling straight at me, I basically hit 1 times out of 4. Photon cannons were kind of meh, as I wasn't impressed with the damage, but at least I could reliably hit things using my PS4-gamepad. Rocket launchers are just death incarnate: If the indicator tells you you can hit, you generally hit. And do tons of damage.

The last weapon I tried was this weird energy ballista: It shoots out what looks like a mix of photon cannon pellets and a singular phase beam, and it does tons of damage when it hits. Strangely enough, aiming the ballista was a lot easier.

Also I have a freighter now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A dumb question: I have an upgrade-module and an upgrade from a blueprint which both give bonuses to my jetpack-tank. Do those upgrades stack, or am I just wasting space?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

No way. The first thing I tested when I got that thing was seeing how many resources I'd get with small orb vs big orb and big orb always returned more resources. Go figure it's probably only _slightly_ more and small orb is a net gain in total.
But that begs the question, what is your mineral-per-second with small vs big. :P

Hey so I'm confused about something. Ya'll keep reposting those ingredients needed to make superconductors but... don't you need to find the bp for superconductors and everything below it in order to make them in the first place? It's not like you can combine those materials in a refinery to make one.

"Everything below it" isn't necessary, traders sometimes sell the parts you need. Just have the BP for the trade good and you're good to go.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I finally had some time to sift through my screenshots, so I'll start posting the best of them

First, here are the best I had left from Pre-NEXT time:

:siren: These pictures are not from next :siren:

Sometimes, the game would do this for some reason. Luckily you could still enter your ship and launch, it was just... weird.

Some weird insect dinosaur

The pre-next procgen wasn't perfect, but some times you could get neat features like this one.

Close before I stopped playing for like five months: I just got this sweet little explorer, and was just randomly moving around, screenshotting poo poo.

Pre-next finding oceans was kind of a pain: This monster fish I found on a ocean planet which turned out to be just a shallow lake planet after landing.

This is the same fish batting me with his tail fin while biting my rear end. Stroppy little fucker. Shortly after, I moved to other games for a while, until NEXT dropped.

And NEXT time we will enter the NEXT level

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: NEXT is here! :frogsiren:

So, after testing some of my old saves after Next dropped I just went "Nope!" and restarted. This is how my trip turned out (Part 1):

First, it's kind of neat how every new game starts with this random mass of stars and nebulas just rushing into your face. I always rationalize this as you hallucinating after you hit your head in your crash.

Then you slowly wake up on the planet you crashed into.

Apparently Merry Nadhor, space explorer extraordinaire, got catapulted a good mile away from her ship and over a mountain. Impressive. And by impressive I mean it's impressive she survived this with a light bop on the head and some weird head-trauma induced hallucinations. :shepface:

Strange minerals everywhere, as if the smoking plants weren't enough weirdness.

I take it back. Apparently Merry hit her head a lot harder than I assumed, since she is suffering from severe amnesia!

It's either because of her amnesia, or because the translation device of this alien gizmo is damaged, but Merry doesn't understand anything here and just stands around gormlessly to the right.

And then the great space ship repair begins: This planet isn't really friendly enough to spent the rest of our lives here, after all. Also those giant smoke plants are even spookier in the dark.

After suffering through tons of firestorms and the scorching heat of just every day on this planet, Merry renames it to Hellstart. As in we started here and it's hell

Still, the planet looks nice enough, in a spooky alien kind of way. Also if you look to the left, you may notice me standing around for far too long making dumb pictures

The infamous starter ship. A piece of poo poo, but at least it looks slightly better in Next. Also it's still hilarious to me that whatever crashed us on this planet hit my character hard enough to induce hollywood movie amnesia, but not hard enough to kill her

So this very important part is on the other side of another mountain? Son of a bitch

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm sure you're aware of this already if you've played the game before, but (story spoilers) you don't actually have amnesia. The Atlas simulation created you right there as a Traveller. You have no memory of before because you have no before.

Yes, I know. But I don't really like stories trying too hard, especially not in a sandbox-game. The freedom of a sandbox-game works best with minimal or unintrusiv story. And NMS cheeky ha ha you aren't real you're in a simulation -shtick would only be interesting in a story-driven game.

NMS however, is an incredibly bad fit for what the devs wanted to tell, so to prevent my enjoyment from evaporating, I've decided long ago to agressively roleplay as if 90% of the devs story doesn't exist and replaced it with a more fitting story in my mind.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Gentle reminder that none of this story was in the 1.0 version of the game, which had the primary story of "vague nonsense that pretends at intellectualism." The guy who wrote the Artemis/Apollo storyline (which was when the Atlas path storyline was re-written) was, as far as I can tell, contracted. So you're not even really seeing the dev's story, you're seeing some dude who came in after the 1.0 poo poo storm and said "how about this?" Which makes it all the funnier that a bunch of the writing in the Artemis/Apollo plot is extremely sardonic as it tells the tale of 2 travellers trying to meet up (2 NMS players) only to discover that they cannot (1.0 had no multiplayer at all.)

Luckily I'm well accustomed to this kind of bullshit, thanks to playing way too many old games from a time where two drunken college students making and porting a complex space game was pretty much the norm. A lot of those very old games had stories or story elements which only make sense if you're drunk yourself, so over time I learned the art of vindictive mental story replacement, to prevent myself from becoming a well-preserved corpse.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Also, were Nada and Polo intentionally named after the Ice Climbers Nana and Popo?

Clearly they are named after the Spanish word for "nothing" and Marco Polo. :colbert:

Because NMS is a game about exploration and we are actually totally unable to discover anything, as we are part of the simulation inside the simulation

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Man that infra-knife accelerator really loving sucks.

Well, now I'm glad I went with the ballista instead. (It's a bit short range and overheats after just a couple of shots, but what you hit will feel the pain.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

(From the save editor.)

I bet the Korvax that taught me 'awakes' but not awake felt real smug after walking off with my 10 copper ore. :jerkbag:
I guess maybe my traveller is just an utter idiot, which I guess checks out all things considered.

Player: Hm, this word looks almost the same as awakes, but is a bit shorter, it's just got 1 letter less, I wonder what on earth this could mean???

Maybe languages in the NMS-universe are logogrammatic or some poo poo, then "Awake" and "awakes" could be represented by completely different words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Some more screenshots!

Last time, Merry Nadhor had to climb a mountain to get to her crashed ship, then had to climb another mountain to get an important part for the necessary repairs. Now, one firestorm later, she reaches this strange station in the middle of the night.

Inside one of the buildings, we get the part we need.

Instead of going back though, I start playing around with the portable refiner. Space alchemy!

This odd little chair in the middle of a scorching hell amused me to no end. I guess it's for people who want to experience the local firestorms without boring old protective buildings in the way? :v:

:sigh: Time to climb back to the ship.

On the way back I stumble over this weird animal, but forget to get a closer shot.

I also stumble over the entrance to this cave. Now this would have been a great place to know back when I was running through a firestorm! :argh:

Another creepy shot from this weird hellscape of a world.

I certainly would hesitate before ripping a strange alien thing open and grabbing a bunch of nano machines, but apparently Merry Nadhor is of tougher stock than me.

Next time: We actually repair the ship