Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

11 systems, landing and reloading on 59 planets later... I'm now the proud father of S-Class Pistol, Experimental and Alien tools! :toot:

That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Going by the number of podcasts I finished, I'm guessing 6 hours. Bonus of finding a planet littered with Knowledge Stones and learning Korvax, plus a crap ton of Units and Nanites from scanning 59 planets.
Way less monotonous than waiting around a trading post for an S-Class Fighter, I settled on an A-Class after waiting for 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I've only been using my 3 S-Class tools for a day and I'm getting used to switching already. Tool 1 is my Experimental for scanning flora/fauna so I only use it when I land and scan everything in sight for cash. Then switch to the Pistol for mining and scanning for the rest of my visit, and the Alien for Scatter Blasting Sentinels and doors. So other than the first five minutes on a planet I'm back to only switching between two tools.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

forest spirit posted:

I only just thought about it but I'm going to see if the new DLSS .DLL that was found with Rainbow 6 works with NMS, I have to say I was kind of underwhelmed by the initial DLSS offering in VR/flatscreen.

Anyone else using DLSS, and what are your experiences? I'm usually playing @ 1440p, or VR, and the results aren't as great as other games in my experience

I'm not playing in VR, but using a 1440p monitor and RTX 3080. With DLSS on I'm getting 120-130FPS in Balanced, and about 100-110FPS in Quality mode. Noticeable dips down to 80 in Quality mode. With DLSS off it's anywhere from 80-100FPS.

PeePot fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 28, 2021

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Earwicker posted:

...i dont have a headset so i wasn't able to talk to the randos i was paired with

Is this why almost no one text chats when I team up with randos? Everyone's using a mic?

Also does the Translate Text feature work for anyone? Apparently it's supposed to work when grouped.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Mailer posted:

Between consoles getting voice chat as standard in the 360 era, and MMOs requiring super tight coordination, voice chat with randoms is considered normal.

You'd think seeing more than half of the other players having the console icon above their head would have clued me in. Time to turn voice chat on. My instinct was to turn it off, but I'm probably not going to get an earful of comments about my mother from DarmokJalad82 for not collecting Indium fast enough.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Rick posted:

Can someone explain to me what the lockers do in the Colossal Archives? For the life of me I can't figure out what goes in them, even after reading the wiki.

What you're putting in has to have SAMPLE in it's name or description. Then it gives you another sample or artifact of usually higher value.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Libluini posted:

Something odd I've noticed when going back to NMS after this latest patch: Since 2017, my NMS-account has gotten about a dozen messages from total randos, either just saying hi or replaying to my total silence with unhinged sounding stuff like "I'm not your punching bag". Strange.

Now this is not the odd part, just basic humanity in action. The odd part is that I made this account for the sole purpose of roleplaying a female character in NMS, which is not possible normally as the game just takes your account-name for your in-game name and then is just done with it. Back when I started playing, I found that being forced to play with my normal, male-sounding account name was kind of dumb, especially as it was a really dumb name. You probably already know where this is going

So, during the time of 2017-2021, my main account only got some contact only from the people I actually know, and nothing weird besides. In the same time, I got like 6x more messages on that other account even though my only activity on that one is playing NMS exclusively. Probably the only reason for these clowns to send messages was the fact that there was a female-sounding name plastered on the account

How desperate do you have to be to seek out some total stranger to send them your creepy messages? Hot drat.

The weirdest and most accidental social experiment I was ever part of, only thanks to Hello Games being too lazy to implement a way to properly change names/genders on PS4.

Sorry, it gets really lonely out here in the vast reaches of space. I'm certainly not getting any action from these Korvax running my freighter.

I finally turned on voice chat and after 5 Nexus missions I got someone talking. Well, kinda, they were singing really softly in Spanish. :)

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I'm going to wait a few more days too. On the Steam forum, people trying the Experimental Branch are getting some serious bugs, like SAVE being greyed out.

That's the first time I've been to that forum. Oh boy, there is some real rage from "people" that just want a flight sim and all these updates have ruined the purity of the game forever.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Just got a 500MB patch. Can't find any changelog though.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Rick posted:

I watched this video not too long ago and don't disagree with a ton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7KVFBBtGvY

His videos are good, the other ones I like are from this guy.
3.62 patch dropped too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-M89__-lU

PeePot fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 3, 2021

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Nullsmack posted:

The really really cheaty way to get this is:
1. Build 2 walls and a ceiling so that you have a corner.
2. Stand in the corner
3. Hold down your jetpack button for 30s.

Just did this, thank you! Got an S-Class jetpack upgrade for it. :cool:

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Nullsmack posted:

The really really cheaty way to get this is:
1. Build 2 walls and a ceiling so that you have a corner.
2. Stand in the corner
3. Hold down your jetpack button for 30s.

Ha, this glitch worked for the 'Climb a Mountain Over 625u' milestone. I didn't know that pressing up against a vertical wall didn't use jetpack fuel, so just find a peak and fire the jetpack until the milestone triggers.

I really wish I knew you could summon the Pilgrim early on. I wasted so much time collecting ammonia for my toxic protection.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

CheeseSpawn posted:

Slick looking silver fighter off twitch drops, get it before you can't anymore.

Welp, looks like I have a Twitch account now. drat I feel old, how many boats have I missed...
The ships not going to replace my LEGO blue fighter, but I'll get my first flying companion.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Holy moly another 2.6GB patch. We at 3.67 now.

The expedition was fun, but I'm glad I put off starting a settlement.

Scrolling down the release log they've never gone that close to the next decimal. We could be looking at a Y2K level catastrophe if they have to go higher than 3.69

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

After finishing the expedition I went back and deleted my base on the off chance that it makes one persons life a little easier.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

The update broke my game. I'm getting constant dips to 10FPS on planet and in space, down from my usual 90-140. I'm still getting 140 on space stations though.

Logitech lost my mouse profile too. That's on Logitech's horrible software though.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

explosivo posted:

I like the teleporter that takes you to the bridge of the freighter straight from the hangar.

Yes!
I have 6 Movement upgrades just so I could sprint from the hanger to the bridge without slowing down. I've clipped and fallen through the ship jetpacking up to the top of the stairs a few times too.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Big patch out
https://www.nomanssky.com/2022/08/endurance-patch-3-99/

"Fixed an issue that could cause other people’s freighter base parts to be placed within your own freighter base during an expedition."

That explains a lot. Everything I had built got blocked off, luckily it was only an hour before finishing the expedition.
I wonder if that's why I kept finding 1000 Goop in the refiner I had never used for Goop.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Helith posted:

Oh no , the updates to inventories in the Waypoint update really fucks everything up.
They've slightly expanded the number of tech slots for everything but you can no longer have tech working in any other inventory so no more having 3 hyperdrive upgrades in tech and 3 in general etc.
My freighter, ship and suit are all badly nerfed now, lost so much hyperdrive range not to mention you can't have much variety of ship guns now as there just isn't room for them anymore.
I honestly can't be arsed to reorganise everything either, my inventories are a mess from how I had them.
The only good thing is that the storage units are vastly expanded and you can stack some things you couldn't before.

Do the tech in General just disappear or show up as not working?
Half my General slots are tech, on me and my ships. Having 6 movement upgrades was great.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Lots of people tweeting to Sean about letting us have 6 active tech to make up for removing the ones in General. Seems like a relatively easy fix. I spent a fair amount of time min-maxing for ship weapon cooldown, and sprint/jetpack charge.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Quicksilver note for new players. It's worth doing the Anomaly weekend missions to buy the bobbleheads and ship trails. You get bonuses to a bunch of things.

Install the ones you want displayed first, then the other ones. Then group them up for bigger bonuses. Buy them once and install them on all your ships!

Apollo Figurine - ship gun damage
Artemis Figurine - boost
Atlas Figurine - jump distance
Nada Figurine - launcher takeoff cost
-null- Figurine - ship shield
Polo Figurine - boost maneuverability

I think all the trails boost the boost by 1% each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

This update brought me back after apparently 10 months. Of course I'm getting massive unplayable amounts of stutter even when it's showing over 100 FPS. This happened to me before and was randomly fixed after the next big update.
Newish i7 and 4070Ti Super. Tried all the vsync options, DLSS, dropping to Medium etc :(