Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Survival to me just seems obnoxious. Increased resource costs across the board, increased hazard intensity, and a more annoying death penalty. I'm sure some people like the challenge and risk but I just want to see the new content and play with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

26 minute preview video from the XBOX version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwgRvtohPE8

edit: check out 18:40 for a fun surprise

I'm glad those loving vines still appear inside buildings where you can't draw your gun

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Last time owning a freighter was a late-game milestone because you could only have the one, so it had to be a significant challenge and accomplishment. Now you can apparently own an entire fleet and exploit it for money faster so you have to be able to acquire them early and often.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Isn't there a trophy for getting to the centre in Permadeath mode?

Yes, they added trophies for reaching the center in Survival and Permadeath when those modes were patched in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trastion posted:

I am pretty sure everyone is in the same universe so you just need to find others. I bet the big clan places near the center will be hell.

It's not an MMO, you aren't going to get hubs with dozens of players hanging around. The official player limit is 4 per squad, and the old ~mysterious orb~ serendipitous MP allowed up to 16 per instance and is apparently still in the game. They've done a terrible job of explaining how those two limits will interact in the Next system but I'm sure reddit is frantically experimenting right now and will have results soon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is the melee/jetpack trick still the best way to get around without a vehicle?

vvvvvv bigger mountains and oceans are listed as improvements in the patch notes soooo

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 24, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Conskill posted:

lol

Did I miss somewhere where they stated when the PC release was going to go live, or are they blowing smoke up their own asses?

They're blowing smoke up their own asses and trying to divine what's going on from reading whatever data they can extract from Steam. No PC release date was given beyond "today".

psychoJ posted:

dumb question: starting up a new game and it seems like they start you off far away from your ship for some reason. does anyone know how i can find it?

Did you start in survival mode? Normal mode games should put you right next to your ship, survival should at least give you a nav point but it may be several miles away.

Unless they've changed this in Next. If it gave you an objective, try doing that and see if locating your ship happens a few steps after.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I almost wish the clouds would slow down and move more realistically because they seem like they'd be a distraction right now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

toiletbrush posted:

Just reading the patch notes - wtf is a guild envoy mission?

Brand new feature, probably no one has found one yet. Somewhere else it said that guild envoys are NPCs that appear and offer missions if you have high guild standing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Big McHuge posted:

Downloading the update for PS4. I haven't played since the first few weeks the game came out. Should I just say gently caress it and restart? I've got 140m in the bank and a maxed out spaceship/suit/gun from what I recall.

Say gently caress it. Even if your save doesn't blow up from a leftover bug or procedural generation issue, you advanced enough that the new mechanics won't be compelling.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John F Bennett posted:

I just found some seeds under the ground near a ruin worth 9 million units :o

I first had to dig up 3 keys, which open a 'large artifact' that held the seeds.

I found some of these keys but where was the large artifact? Do you have to look around in scan view until you see the one nav point?

I made ~4 mil off digging up crates in two crashed freighters :staredog:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shortspecialbus posted:

I am annoyed that I need to waste an inventory slot to save my game manually.

You only need to do this if you're way out in the wilderness, you can trigger a save by getting into your ship and getting out again.

I like the idea of moving equipment in and out of the inventory, it'll probably be way more useful later in the game when the equipment would require rare components to rebuild. Has anyone gotten far enough to check if you can pick up a vehicle bay and carry it around with you? That would be a real gamechanger.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The refinery is basically the furnace from Minecraft, both in how often you have to use and and in how at first it seems like a major milestone but you quickly realize they're cheap and disposable.

Calaveron posted:

Somebody walk me through the process of making the ingredients for the terrain manipulator because it is very overwhelming

If you pin the recipe and open the log screen it'll have a long explanation for each stage of the process. None of the game wikis have updated yet, what's the exact recipe it wants for the manipulator?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bareback Werewolf posted:

I know people said you can jump in and out of your ship to save, but that's just an autosave. On my second planet I found a beacon near that signal you get the teraforming thingamajig from that let's you manually save. I assume it's a new thing since nobody mentioned it?? You just walk up to it and it prompts you to save your game.

Both of those update the same save slot. Buildable save points showed up a patch or two ago and are really only for if you've walked ten miles away from your ship and have to quit right now, there's no difference in saving mechanic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
To post tweets just paste the URL into the text field with no other tags.

My spawn planet was mildly radioactive, also in the system was a hot planet with rings and a no-hazard planet with a lot of water and animals.

I don't think building multiple refineries is necessarily dumb, you have twice the conversion rate if you want to make a metric fuckload of something. That'll probably be important for building the really huge bases that were promised.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Anyone else seeing a bug where mission text is replaced with placeholder names? Like, a gek was so excited when I brought him his 10 bear asses that he shouted "NPC_QUEST_SUCCESS_1_TXT" and gave me a reward.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 25, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

panda clue posted:

I'm having a lot of fun and will probably get way more than $30's worth of this game, but I'm in 100% agreement that the controls seem to have absolutely no thought put into them whatsoever. The 'quick menu' absolutely does not live up to its name in any way.

It's "quick" compared to launch, where there was no popup menu at all and you had to do everything by popping open the full inventory UI and mousing over things.

I'm not sure if this is new in Next but I've noticed that the quick menu tries to be smart by auto-selecting the tool you're using at the moment, the suit module with the lowest charge, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a little thing but I appreciate that you can now see your character when the camera detaches for an interaction sequence, even if you're playing in first person.

Also haven't found character customization yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those crafting trees sound daunting but a lot of that is buyable, which may feel like a shortcut but will result in much less wandering around harvesting.

bgreman posted:

Anyone know if the items you can find as artifacts in the ruins (with the 1,000,000+ value) are actually usable for anything or are solely to be sold? The flavor text for one I found seems to indicate it might have some kind of use, but it's hard to tell, and as has been noted, none of the NMS wikis or guides are updated for the new content.

If those are used it's by stuff that doesn't unlock for a while, if you're just starting out you can probably get way more mileage out of a million credits.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I found one of the old exosuit drop pods but it wanted half a dozen different exotic materials to repair it. What do you get out of those and is it worth doing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just got hit by the issue that put my story mission destination halfway across the galaxy after a co-op session, but then I discovered that on the log screen there's a button to reposition an unreachable mission into your local system. So that's nice of them to add.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How do you get frigate fuel?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xilni posted:

How does one go about doing that?

The "purchase upgrades" option on station merchants. The rare S-class mods can give enormous multipliers to jetpack or sprint duration.

quote:

Also I vaguely remember something about if you placed upgrades next to each other it boosted the whole?

This is still true, related upgrades installed in cells next to each other will synergize and give a bigger bonus than if they had been installed somewhere else.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

He's currently discovering things in my system. If he discovered something before I get to it, do I lose out on the money from discovering it in the future?

You still get paid for re-discovering the same things but you may lose naming rights if he uploads it first.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

theblackw0lf posted:

This REALLY needs to be mentioned in the game somewhere. This has existed since the beginning, and they still don't let new players know this incredibly important feature.

Sort of, they still stack if they don't touch but touching applies an additional smaller bonus.

Add instructions on how to do the melee-jetpack trick, I don't think it's documented anywhere for new players.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

I found a gravity ball thing... sentinels came after me, I tried to escape into space and now I can't warp away cause they're disrupting it. how do I... escape??

Land back on the planet and hide in a building or cave, there's no way to outrun the spaceships. Yeah, it's dumb.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phobeste posted:

What are these artemis and apollo things you guys are talking about? I started a game, built a base, did some atlas stuff, I've never seen those guys

They show up if you continue progressing the story objectives.

vvvvv Yep. And it can hold you out of the water long enough to get most of your oxygen back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xilni posted:

Is my game funky or does that station just appear out of thin air?

It does appear out of thin air, it didn't before Next.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SoulChicken posted:

What are the go-to upgrades in the first 10 hours for ship and suit? I have shopping paralysis.

If there isn't anything specific I want to do I'd go for efficiency upgrades. Having to refuel your life support and pulse drive less often is good.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Sentinels are mildly annoying when they are guarding a locked door, but otherwise I have yet to have a real problem with them except a few times when I dig an escape tunnel and yet for some reason their countdown timer disappears.

I did one locked door where I shot the door at point-blank range but all the sentinels were on the other side of the base so they didn't have line of sight to me at that moment, they just knew something was happening in the vicinity of the door. Before they got there I ran to the edge of the area and they all went over to the door and started scanning it. I kept firing on the door from over there but it never occurred to them to look over and check where the bolts were coming from, they just stayed focused on the door the whole time. At no point did they actually aggro on me, even after I got the door fully down and walked inside.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mandrel posted:

woah what the gently caress. i’ve just been hitting upload all. are you telling me I’ve got a ton of unclaimed nanites?

The prominent upload all button in the lower left only uploads all planets, you also have to hit the separate upload all button for animals, plants, and points of interest- for each planet. And if you got all the animals on a planet, you have to hit a separate "yeah I got all the animals" button for the bonus. It's really bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dropkickpikachu posted:

They can hardly maintain a steady 30 fps, how do they expect to do 120?

Do it only on PC where you can solve that problem with money.

Also, just because it's in the files doesn't mean it's in the future. They could have explored it, reached the same conclusion you did, abandoned the effort, and didn't scrub every last trace of it from the files.

(Also they only need to hit 60, the PSVR can make up the difference with ATW-like processing. Still probably out of reach.)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 29, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Once you unlock the exocraft, you can build a geobay on any planet if you have the mats and summon it there. At least, that's how it worked pre-Next. I'm curious if the geobays count as portable technology now.

Navigation protip for water worlds: Look in the direction you're moving when you enter water (including up and down, look in the exact direction) and then level out. Your speed will be mostly preserved so you can end up cruising underwater much faster than walking and it lasts as long as your oxygen does which is probably way longer than your jetpack.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This also works on reinforced doors, they’re so fascinated by the bullets hitting the door that they don’t care where they’re being fired from.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

f#a# posted:

I decided to plop my base down here despite the occasional blizzards. The moon itself is super-rich with rare materials, but the planet it orbits is a gravitano-laced sentinel nightmare. The rings on that planet are huuuge and the system space station sits right in them.

:hfive:

It's a fantastic location- convenient to holotransmitter and trading post, calm and resource-rich planet, large system with other resources available, gorgeous view. The only catch is that all that stuff in one place plus constant animal spawns makes it run like crap. I should have settled a few miles further away.

Also:

There can be clam monsters now.

If you've ever wondered what's outside of hyperspace... not a lot.

:staredog:

When did they add the dinos from the original E3 trailer? Is this new for Next?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Annath posted:

I really should be taking screenshots of the Cool poo poo, shouldn't I?

When you all talk about making Booku Bucks from looting ruins, what exactly are you getting that's worth cash?

I've followed signals to 2 different "ruins", which were large stone buildings with like a dais and sculptures? They had 2-4 of those language stones around it to teach me words (at 27/40 for Gek!), and usually something to interact with at the center of the ruin, but as far as I could tell, no lootable loot.

When you interact with the thing at the center, pick "seek help with history" (or whatever the one that isn't language is called). This will give you a nav point to a second ruin. Go to the second ruin and look through the scanner to see "Artifact Fragment" and "Large Artifact Chest" nav points, usually underground. Using the terrain manipulator, dig up 3 of the former and use them on the latter to get a random high-end item, which is worth anywhere between 100K and several million credits.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 30, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

How do I get something that makes me launch jets more efficient so I don't have to refill them after four launches.

It's a pain to keep enough fuel on hand to just explore a planet :(

Stockpile, basically. Launch jet fuel is easy to make and stacks up to 20. You can also find uranium on radioactive planets which is more efficient. There's no way to increase the number of launches per refill, unfortunately.

The way the game is balanced, it seems to be pretty much required that every so often you take a break from actively pursuing goals and stockpile for a bit.

vvvvv I stand corrected, that must be new in Next

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 30, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good thing there's a separate bug that locks you out of fleet management :bravo:

ToastyPotato posted:

Eventually you will be able to build a science terminal for your base. Terminals have an NPC working them that you can hire and they all have quest lines that give you blueprints, IIRC.

I think you have to trigger the base questline by building one of the round metal rooms, wood panel cabins won't do it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
DigitalFoundry posted a rundown of all the different ways in which the PC version is a technical mess, although I imagine most of us are aware of at least some of these already.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

The Vy'keen are a bunch of losers with stupid faces. Glory to the glorious Gek empire who will one day hopefully crush the Vy'keen and wipe them out from the galaxy

Offer gift (1 Vy'keen dagger)
Barter (1000 units)
Ask how the entity got those scars
Leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadowlyger posted:

In particular, look for a terrain feature called Metal Fingers, which are lumpy rods of uranium. Breaking one takes a while, but it'll give you basically an entire stack of Uranium.

If you want to find these, they only spawn on radioactive planets.