Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lmao that the rest of Australia is so backwards and brokebrain that they couldn't handle reusable bags to the point they have Coles risking fines to put the plastic ones back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Peccadillo posted:

Why are people pretending that they say "niggle" all the time

I hear it all the time? It's commonly used to describe very minor injuries in sports, like having a slight niggle in my right calf. There's nothing racist about it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just ask someone to actually read it and they'll quickly agree. (On top of the racist screeds it's a really bad book)

There is a new academic edition of the book with an up front essay, and commentary interspersed throughout the book explaining the historical context behind the ideas in the book - the great depression, the way the great war ended, the failure of the nobility, etc - and historical results, ie war and genocide on scales not seen before or since. It was timed because the Bavarianian State Government's 70 year ownership of the copyright was due to end, leaving it public domain, and academics wanted a definitive, educational, anti-nazi edition of the book out there first, before neo-nazi groups started reprinting their own editions. Not sure if they still have plans to translate it into English.

https://www.ifz-muenchen.de/aktuelles/themen/edition-mein-kampf/mein-kampf-english/

It's the only edition of Mein Kampf anyone should ever read.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 6, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Melbourne MP Tim Watts says his office has received dozens of "tongue in cheek" requests for free portraits of Queen Elizabeth in the last 24 hours, but he is firing back with some "nationhood material" of his own.

Mr Watts said the requests came flooding in after a report by Vice Media that highlighted the little-known "constituents' request program" which allows for voters to receive free "nationhood material" including flags, recordings of the national anthem and images of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, just by asking their federal member.

"I can say before the story was published, I had received zero requests for portraits of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth," he said.

"The last 24 hours, I would say about four dozen.

"I think 99 per cent were tongue firmly in cheek."

In response, Mr Watts said he was perfectly entitled to use his freedom of speech to send extra materials back.

"I've chosen to respond to these tongue in cheek requests with a bit of nationhood material of my own from Melbourne's west," he said.

"Some portraits of [retired Western Bulldogs captain] Bob Murphy and [former prime minister] Julia Gillard, some Australian Republican Movement membership forms and an invite to our Wattle Day barbeque at Williamstown beach."

Mr Watts is not the only MP to be inundated. Mayo MP Rebekha Sharkie wrote she had received 25 inquiries in 12 hours.

He said MPs were not legally obligated to provide the material, the legislation just created the ability for them to source the nationhood material.

The Labor MP said there was merit behind the program, with many schools and community groups acquiring flags and the constitution for various reasons, including educational purposes.

"Usually people request flags when they're representing Australia overseas for sport or school or community groups," Mr Watts said.

"Very frequently I give out Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags and I think that is a worthwhile thing to do for our community.

"It's not all the farce of giving pictures of Liz [Queen Elizabeth II] and Phil the Greek [Prince Philip]."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Liberals are totally fine, but in the PPM poll Malcolm has taken a nose dive and needs to be replaced, in a set of Murdoch commissioned polls that fit the narrative so well it's like they were manufactured to measure

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Green Front of Australia

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hooman posted:

UWA's rating on facebook has gone from 4.9 to 3.7 in 2 days.

They're getting savaged over hosting hate group speakers.

Good.

It could also be because Facebook just changed the way reviews work in an effort to stop brigading. The SMM for Guide Dogs Victoria was somewhat distraught today because all of their reviews are gone, and like most NFPs they survive on reputation.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah that. Also to filter out astroturfing, which is where a business crates fake accounts to write fake reviews to boost their score, or more typically pays a bot farm in India to do it for them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Don Dongington posted:

So apparently Hadley's been on radio claiming that Dutton is challenging for the leadership at some point.

There's just no way he gets the numbers.

Still. Lol

Dutton can't retain his seat at the election without the bump from being leader, for him it's all or nothing at this point.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Knorth posted:

What ended up happening with the Alice Workman/Husar stuff? I've been seeing a few tweets lately from people who previously were basically calling her The Best Journalist really seem to turn on her. Did it all end up being fake or something?

All the sex allegations were dismissed as unsubstantiated, but she was clipped for overworking her staff and making them perform duties not related to the ministerial office, ie the dog walking

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If he became leader wouldn't they parachute him into a safe seat?

Yeah they could do that too, but either way he only gets to stay in parliament if he's leader

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So while she was definitely in the wrong, she was no more wrong than basically every other MP, which make it pretty clear it was an assassination from within right faction of which she was a member, who like most right factions can't stomach a woman in office, especially not a single mother who is outspoken about domestic violence. Hence the poo poo being thrown at Alice Workman, for getting suckered into doing the NSW ALP Right's dirty work for them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Whitlam posted:

All of NSW pol is such a toxic shitshow it honestly could have come from anywhere. Honestly just lol if you think the left wouldn't have done it on the basis of "but they are the left", though.

My basis was "Who gains anything worth the effort?", and after ruling out the LNP because this was self inflicted, the last remaining answer is the right faction power brokers getting to install their preferred right faction white man ahead of the woman chosen by the previous party president. It's similar to, but nastier than, the Liberals and Lucy Gichuhi.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sekkira posted:

I meant they'd be building them and possibly be a part way through at least one right now. (assuming they immediately jumped on board the nuclear train and started getting them going).

Not even close. If they started immediately, the target date for an operational power plant would have been somewhere around 2045. Right now they'd still be working with foreign experts to determine exactly what we need.

Nuclear power isn't attaching copper wiring to Uranium, it requires decades of build up in experience, training, and leadership before anyone even breaks ground on a plant. It's the same discussion that pops up every time some Tom Clancy fan staffer prompts their minister to ask "why aren't we building nuclear submarines?".

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 17, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A safe nuclear plant can be built in 10 years, a safe nuclear industry takes decades of preparation.

e: bit of research suggests maybe you saw some commentary from Libertarian chuds about the UAE nuclear program, which aims to have a fully functional nuclear industry in the space of 15 years. The difference there being the UAE is dropping their mega oil money on buying large amounts of institutional experience and expertise from the US and EU, and saving money by using their customary asian slave labor, while constructing a dozen identical plants of an untested design all at once.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 17, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

We really wouldn't be. It'd still be in the pre-planning exploratory process, before any tenders, and long before any court challenges from people living in the host state that hasn't been chosen yet.

The Port Augusta Solar Thermal plant went to tender in 2016, and it won't be online until 2020, and that's if everything goes well. Nuclear is considerably more complicated.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 17, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

asio posted:

Good tweet, but the fallacy in your comparison has been exposed before in this thread.

Where's the fallacy? The Abrahamic religions all believe in the same sky-god, they just accept different prophets

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Kommando posted:

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/po...820-p4zyn1.html

Its a long bow to draw and i'd prefer Dutton stand by his merit and lose. That would send a message rather than an s44 technicality.

He doesn't have to get as far as being referred to the courts, the story just has to hover over him so much that it turns the leadership challenge into a farce, and dogs him all the way to the next election.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cpt Soban posted:

Re: the crypto article

Hahaha. Hey I guess GPU prices will be going down now?

Nope, nVidia just announced the new RTX series, and the prices for them are going up from previous launches.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ewe2 posted:

From the AFL thread, we have Relevancy Deprivation Newman Syndrome:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/im...s-ng-b88934888z

:bravo:

Interesting how there's no mention that he was condemned the loudest for using Nazi holocaust terminology to express those views

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ewe2 posted:

^^^^ agreed, but it also says something about the public climate that he felt able to make those statements even after the reaction to Anning.

Less about the public climate and more about his own immense arrogance, and that 9 has continued to let him get away with worse and worse incidents without removing him from the air. He thinks he's right, but he also thinks he's immune to any backlash.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 21, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A great result from here would be Malcolm managing to call the election with the GG just before Dutton succeeds in the second spill, and then to have a week of Dutton and the right wing boys standing in front of a million flags giving out statements that he's the PM now and the writs don't count so the governor general should reject them and resign and furthermore

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cash does know that Dutton doesn't actually have the power to grant her a pardon like he promised, right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Starshark posted:

I hope Christensen is put on the front bench. Let's wring as much comedy as possible out of this.

He gets Attorney General, and his maiden speech in the role is about undoing the gay marriage legislation

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

lmao they tried to force another meeting by lying about the numbers they had and telling the press the key ministers had jumped ship when they hadn't. They're about popularity fraud from top to bottom.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cpt Soban posted:

12 hours ago: After the vote we totally support Malcolm

Now: Time for another vote!

"Keep staging new votes until we get the result we want" sounds familiar :thunk:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Obtaining a document fatal to Malcolm's expected main rival in Dutton, and to the LNP majority, and then handing it to Malcolm on the eve of his own demise at Dutton's hands. Machiavellian.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

starkebn posted:

Nah, he'll be the "elder statesman" trying to hold these fuckwits together.

It won't work, anything short of full throated support for them and the far right wing will call him a communist and not listen to him

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mia Freedman is a faux feminist neo-liberal trust fund brat, news at 11

I like how Tone is only pretending to be dead

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Keep making fun of ScoMo and his new sports and meat pies persona, but that's exactly how he'll win back enough gormless Howard battler fuckwits to make it a contest

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Should be incoming hot takes from cathat to break things up a little today

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

froglet posted:

I think Akubra hats look cool but racist dickheads have ruined it for me so I don't want one anymore. :mad:

Same.

Also this but some kinds of fedora and misogynistic dickheads.

Why do people keep ruining good hats for everyone

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 27, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Calling the cops may or may not have been acceptable in the circumstances (though I don't think being lost or hungry is a problem only the police can solve) but I was more noting the headline of 'instead of calling the police' which combined with the thread's rush to praise him makes him sound like he was heroically resisting refugee policy enforcement.

The guy rescued them from potential death in the wilderness, and treated them like fellow human beings for the day instead of holding the criminal browns at spear point until border farce arrived, I feel that's worth encouraging.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:auspol:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Didn't immediately deny climate change = traitor to the conservative base

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Starshark posted:

In NSW they want 400 000 (giga?)litres of water instead of the 15 000 they're getting.

*megalitres http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-27/drought-continues-in-nsw-despite-weekend-rain/10166682

Drained straight out of the Murray-Darling

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SA built an expensive desal plant during a drought, and then when the drought ended they were all "look all the water is back in the reservoirs, what a waste of money that was", demonstrating the academically accepted fact that Boomers have no object permanence

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Not sure about Salmon, but Tuna farms are fed using unsustainably trawled baitfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hambeet posted:

That's huge. Do we think attitudes are changing toward public transport enough that it's a sure fire winner?

Adelaide is pro-public transport to the point that even the Liberals are continuing to expand it, I'd be shocked if Melbourne were worse than that

• Locked thread