Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would like a Shenmue-like that’s set in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Is MIA Miami? My first thought was 'missing in action' like 'this spot to be determined later'

And which Miami is it? The one in Manitoba? Odd choice if that’s the case

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’d be okay if mosquitoes disappeared forever. Even if it ends up unbalancing the ecosystem and harming the populations of their predators and their predators’ predators, I’m fine with it, really.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had to restart my Valkyrie Profile file, because I went ahead and read up about it and discovered that I’d been putting a bunch of my skill points into skills that don’t actually do anything useful (Find Trap does not actually let you find traps, etc.). And apparently Hard is the easiest difficulty setting and Easy the hardest because of the way the game takes away content depending on the difficulty level.

Good game though, I’m actually fine with restarting.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don’t google “mai snk” with safesearch off

Or do? I dunno

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It means designed by a committee of horny men

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

so not mai

Oh was it just one guy?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Uhh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I mean, it's okay to be peeved off at a gamebreaking bug

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve identified why Valkyrie Profile dungeons are good, despite not having the greatest music ever or being all that interesting to move around in: no random encounters!! And they’re over in half an hour!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Compared to other PS1 JRPGs I’ve played (which are basically just Final Fantasies) the tunes aren’t super memorable. And I’m playing on tablet, the controls are uhh not precise, but besides that the dungeons so far are either just corridors or just ladders everywhere

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Post your fave VP tracks, I’m happy to be wrong

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

None of those are bad, in fact they’re pretty good, I just wouldn’t listen to them on their own

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yakuza 0 chapter one spoilers:

Why does Kuze have to cut off his finger? I don’t think he was kicked out?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cool, thanks

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey, has a webcomic ever made the observation that when you’re on a JRPG world map, and you go past the northern pole, you suddenly teleport to the southern pole? What’s that all about??!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

imagine if the earth was like a cardboard tube

Excuse me, but the Neo Bahamut summon in FF7 clearly shows a spherical planet.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I still think Mai is skeezy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tbf she is boingy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Colonel posted:

you couldn't really create the same character dynamic that max and chloe have if you replaced chloe with a dude, which is the best part of the game's writing, which makes the ending asking you to just toss away an actually decent character dynamic in favor of a bunch of characters you have zero actual dynamic with really weird. if it was between the town or that random guy who tries to mack on you constantly i would've totally gone with the town lol

From a utilitarian point of view you should've picked the choice that saves the most human lives imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's not about what you do, it's about what Max would do.

It's not a movie

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah would be better as "they", I think they're meant to be genderless

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ll tell you this, whenever posters talk about any given Tales Of [fantasy name]-ia game I switch off because there is no way I’m going to tell any of their titles apart

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What? I’m talking about the Tales of Vesperia stuff.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i'm wearing a pyre tshirt right now at work

Here’s my work story for the day: I was eating grapes at my desk, dropped one on the floor, then spent five minutes trying to find it. But it loving disappeared, I don’t loving know

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does it specifically have to be a girl?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My Kiryu has definitely thrown people off buildings and I’m only like three hours in

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also I’ve been RP-walking around Tokyo and it’s fun to experience the ambient sounds

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

how casual is the combat in yakuza

neir automata was too hard for me to beat on automode and i don't want to be burned by another real time videogame

I’m playing on Normal but it’s still kind of tough for me right now. During the chapter one climax, I died three times to a miniboss and twice to the big boss.

Also, I’m on your side White Dragon. But I would recommend not giving up on the game entirely. Maybe wait for it to go on sale in a few months?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Colonel posted:

boss fights can get rough early on but the game lets you stock a ton of max heal items and you unlock fighting styles that let you smash through weaker enemies pretty easily, plus the pc port gives you a bunch of free item dlcs that give you a shotgun and a pistol that both do a ton of damage, and also a lightsaber

this is on hard so normal and easy are probably not super hard either

Do those items appear later in the game because I don’t think I have them

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Colonel posted:

go to the temple and talk to the clown, it's marked as a shop on your map

it's not even that necessary for the free healing items cause they're just items you can buy for like 7000 yen at the drug store

Thanks!

Really Pants posted:

If you're in the Chapter 1 finale fight sequence, look for bottles of healing drink on the floor.

No I did beat the finale, I was referring to these dlc items. Thanks though!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

imagine being a skyrimsexual

I’m wariosexual

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Valkyrie Profile is so good...

Sometimes the translation gets a little rough, and you sort of have to cross your eyes to appreciate what's trying to be said. But I love how it's basically a collection of short stories: you go to a town and watch a five-minute tragedy, and you're off again.

Anyway, how are the sequels?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So I had heard about this before, and Yakuza 0 all but confirmed it: in Japan, they don’t lock their bikes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I know the Yakuza series is all about being sidetracked by mini games and side quests but I’m trying to not get sidetracked by mini games and side quests.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think one of the Elder Scrolls’ thread title used to be, like, “Maybe we’ll actually play this time!”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Todd howard wont let you kill kids but we will.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was on board until they introduced the hero.

• Locked thread