Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stealing from the cspam tesla thread via gbs and yospos crossposting. Remember Musk’s tweets about a saboteur? Turns out he was a whistleblower who was trying to report tesla just gluing punctured batteries back together and marking them as good.

bring back old gbs posted:

from the CSPAM teslol thread
its all good but the real poo poo is in the last 2 pages god drat

TL;DR:
-Tesla Whistleblower is informed that a robot arm had a pin on it that was puncturing battery cells, is shown ~1200 punctured battery cells in a container.

-Whistleblower confirms the punctured cells have been short circuited internally.

-Whistleblower later notices the container is empty and finds out other Tesla employees have been filling the puncture holes with glue, and marking them as good.

-Whistleblower uses the inventory tracking system to find out where the cells ended up. 732 of the punctured cells ended up in Tesla Model 3's that were already on their way to customers.

-Tesla disables the inventory tracking system that allowed Whistleblower to do this.

-Musk goes on twitter and says the Whistleblower sabotaged Tesla operations.

:stare:jfc Musk is going to kill somebody with this poo poo and he will never be held accountable for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Reading news alerts that Trump has directed Sessions to shut down the Russia Probe.

it's because of this tweet:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1024646945640525826

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think the pressure is getting to him.

Someone else tweeted a response along the lines of the president is obstructing justice days after a report surfaced that the special counsel is looking at presidential tweets for evidence of obstruction during the obstruction of justice probe.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rudy has been calling into CNN and others to explain that trump this morning was just voicing his opinion not giving direction to actually obstruct. :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The bigmac index is a ppp comparison of the buying power of various currencies and is pretty accurate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah they’re limited extremely to 3 yes/no questions. Did McCain give the first 33 pages to the FBI via Comey in December 2016?

Did the FBI receive the last two pages or confirm they had all 35 pages before the January briefing with Obama and Trump?

Finally did the national security team brief Trump and Obama on the contents of the dossier?

The judge addressed all the factors pretty clearly. The government was still trying to claim that these questions would be “unduly burdensome” and the judge’s response is to say three yes/no answers is “Not a heavy lift.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vasudus posted:

i have never doubted the piss tape

The piss tape exists, but it's not Trump getting peed on. It's just hookers pissing on a bed at his direction because (I'm guessing his phrasing) "that friend of the family obama slept in it."

The tragic part is that his approval ratings would go up with CHUDS for saying exactly that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That Works posted:

Probably, but it would also endanger any less than blazing-red state GOP congressman to claim any kind of support for Trump at all after this as well.

You say that, but absolutely nothing else has so far.

Republicans care only about their grift, and they're grifting to the max while trump MAGAs so they're happy to keep supporting him silently. If Mueller comes out and says "yeah, Trump unequivocally has committed obstruction" and lays out every single element, Republicans will just dismiss it as biased and do nothing.The only way anything changes is getting republicans out of control.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vasudus posted:

can a state charge an individual on a state level offense related to a crime they were federally pardoned for? or does that fall into jeopardy issues

would laugh if the nyag just charges manafort with all the crimes and uses his signed acceptance of the federal pardon as evidence

but i dont think it works like that

It really depends on the state's laws and whether or not someone was actually tried for a federal crime first. If Trump gave a pre-charge pardon, ala Ford to Nixon, then jeopardy may not have properly attached and all state charges may be available.

As far as testimonial evidence, that depends once again on the state. Florida has mirrors of the bill of rights in it's own constitution including the 5th amendment. While the pardoned person would not have federal 5th protection in state court for their pardoned crimes, they may have state level protection that does the same.

So to answer your question, it really just depends on the crime, the state charges, and whether or not jeopardy actually attached at the federal level. Our constitution was drafted with the belief that the people in charge of it will behave in good faith, though, so we've never had to actually test this. In a realistic sense, this is unprecedented and with the current makeup of the SCOTUS there's no telling which way they'd come down.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BigDave posted:

Federal pardon couldn't be used as evidence, but if you violate New York state money laundering and wire fraud laws, you're going to Dannemora for 15 years, period.

What he's asking about is 5th amendment protections. Federal pardons aren't evidence, correct. But once pardoned, you lose your 5th amendment rights regarding that particular crime. We've never tested how this works with federal pardons and concurrent state level charges, though, because we've never had quite this much of a bad faith actor as president.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vasudus posted:

yeah i'm just imagining manafort sitting in a nyc courthouse and the lawyer being like 'mr manafort did you do all these crimes' 'no' 'then why did you accept a pardon and admit to all these crimes' and then manafort using the chili defense unsuccessfully

It wouldn't work exactly like that but that's the general gist. More likely is the court would compel Manafort to talk under penalty of contempt if he refuses. This again, though, depends state by state and what the charges specifically may be. As it is now, Manafort himself has already had jeopardy attach to his federal crimes. If Trump pardoned him now, he would most likely be immune from state level prosecution for the same crimes. Different charges could be brought, and he may be compelled to speak about the stuff for which he was pardoned.

Either way this is all a convoluted mess because no one has ever wielded the pardon power in such a blatant and bad faith manner. Most of the pardon jurisprudence we have comes from the early 19th century when Woodrow Wilson tried to force a reporter to accept a pardon so he could then compel him to reveal his sources. The SCOTUS held that a person has to unambiguously accept a pardon for it to apply.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Casimir Radon posted:

Apparently Donnie is so confident that the investigation has deadended that he's been openly badmouthing Mueller more than usual, and his legal representation isn't trying to stop him.

I don't think they can stop him from saying what he wants whenever he wants. Hell, this morning the president defamed Lebron James and Don Lemon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Casimir Radon posted:

If we survive this there are going to have to be changes to many different levels of the system. Especially when it comes to bad faith.

Nah. The country is not in a position to amend the constitution anytime soon in a way that benefits anyone other than people just like Trump. I don't have faith that anything is going to get better, and in fact, things are still going to get much worse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Internet Wizard posted:

This is like 5+ years old.

Nah it was last year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here’s a slightly longer youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7wHHRbjnsU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I believe Ohio is one of the top three states Navy recruits call home.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That meeting was definitely not legal.

quote:

52 U.S. Code § 30121 - Contributions and donations by foreign nationals
(a) Prohibition: It shall be unlawful for—
(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—
(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;
(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party
(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Most boring? Probably Kansas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just woke up and I'm gonna have to read this post once more after I've had a coffee. Because right now, it reads like the missile knows where it is

He’s just breaking down (very well i might add) between general and specific intent. They’re legal terms of art and do not carry the common meaning. They refer to a cognizable action rather than some perceived mental desire.

General intent - the fact that you did an action means you intended to.

Specific intent - prosecution must show that you had the “mens rea” (literally translated guilty mind). As joat said, specific intent crimes are more difficult to prove as a result. The mens rea differs between the crime, doesn’t necessarily require you know your actions are criminal, and are typically written into the statute.

Some specific intent crimes include murder (requires malice aforethought), most theft/larceny statutes (requires the intent to deprive someone permanently of property), terroristic threats, and conspiracy. If a statute says something about intent, it’s probably specific intent.

Some general intent crimes are manslaughter, trespass (including to chattels), rape, arson, and assault. What you mentally wanted to happen doesn’t really matter, the fact that you committed the crime shows requisite intent and your mental state doesn’t matter.

What all this really means is that certain crimes have a higher threshold to prove. Almost always, though, there is some sort of lesser included offense that covers a general intent crime.

This is also part of why the feds lost the first bundy trial over the oregon refuge. They chose to charge people with a specific intent crime and failed to show beyond a reasonable doubt that the specific mens rea existed to constitute an offense. Well, that and jury nullification.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nice and hot piss posted:

Which of you assholes is talking poo poo on Kansas fight me irl we gave you the wizard of Oz and kicked your asses in baseball back in 2015

I was. Kansas is a barren wasteland. It’s flat, empty, and the only excitement is when a tornado comes through.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Childhood friend of mine got a masters and PHD from KU and didn’t mind too much.

My dad is from ellis and was born in hays. We have family still up there. I almost moved to Winfield from west texas as a kid.

I was in colorado riding the train up pikes peak as a teenager and the guide said “if you look over to the easy you see that flat boring place with nothing going on? That’s kansas.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Make six figgies by fostering 40 kids and just have the older ones care for the younger.

Or go full finicum and only foster working age kids and put them to work on your ranch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The senate does not have the votes necessary to remove anyone following impeachment by the house. Nunes is full of poo poo and is actively working to undermine our nation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

I get this and I feel it now and again but then I remind myself of some facts. MAGA chuds are a very large percentage of the nation. "Full communism now" leftists are only significant on the internet. Most Bernie supporters voted for Clinton. The purity testers are loud but there just aren't that many of them in reality.

MAGA chuds are not a large percentage of the nation. Around 25% of the voting population (approx 18.5% of total population) voted for Trump. Trump does not have full support from even republican voters.

Ocasio-Cortez said it best when she said the goal isn't to convert republican voters to democratic, but to convert non-voters to voters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is that over Elon saying he was taking the company private for $420 a share? I guess they could try and get him on stock manipulation or something weird like that but it seems a stretch.

It’s not at all a stretch. Musk clearly violated securities laws.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I assumed this azelia chick was musk's girlfriend-gone-crazy, which I assumed the weird 2018-part of the story was.

Reading further, it appears she isn't which begs the question who this person is and why they are running around musk's home making GBS threads on him on Twitter.

I know, o know, the answer is "2018"

Those images aren't the complete story. Grimes invited her out for the weekend to "collaborate" on music when the whole reason Elon/Grimes flew her from NYC to LA was to try to set up some threesome.

https://twitter.com/jowens510/status/1029058664101863424

https://twitter.com/sadhoeflo/status/1028869317213880320

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FAUXTON posted:

either they are gloating assholes and know a pardon is on deck or they're get-sued level incompetent

It’s quite possible they’re stuck in an ethical dilemma. They cannot put forth something they know is a lie, but at the same time they have to put forth some defense. That might be all they’re allowed to say without risk of sanctions because so much of manafort’s crimes are public knowledge there is no defense. Typically in that situation they just attack the government on not fulfilling it’s burden. It doesn’t read like they’re doing an exceptional job of arguing that point, but they might really not have any other valid defense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SEC just subpoenaed Tesla re: the acid trip tweets about taking tesla private at $420 while Grimes and Elon ghosted their blick houseguest.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

Dead veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars who have been turned into memes for Trump can probably sympathize. You know, if they weren't dead.

Vilerat and his mom come to mind.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The bonds turn into stock if they can’t make payment. They could probably take over the board with just small coalition and completely oust Musk if they want.

:tesla:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

Manafort jury is taking a break without rendering a verdict.

They have a shitload of charges and exhibits to go through. They’ve had a day and a half of deliberations and definitely weren’t going to finish in a day. The jury is responsible for their own time management and one of them had a 5 o’clock family event or something so they recessed until next week.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vahakyla posted:

I spent like two years fighting rednecks at a strip club, and for my dancer friends, some of the highest paying customers just wanted to talk to a scantily clad woman. It’s weird, they’d just pay 770$ an hour to hang out with a stripper in the private room and talk.

Beats me.

A lot of trump sex anecdotes have him just talking with parts of the woman or bragging to her in general about himself. They don't care about the sex. They just want a pretty woman to fawn over them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

No cook anywhere can pass a drug test. There's always a vice. Always.

I couldn't hire anyone who could both drive the food truck and also cook food in it. No one who could cook the food had a clean driving record, and no one who could drive it could cook worth a gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

No Manaforte verdict yet?

18 charges and a shitton of exhibits take a while to work through. We should see something in the next day or two.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I haven’t received a jury summons ever in florida. Got a bunch in texas but was on active duty elsewhere so all got excused.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Former Malone

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's the second republican member of the house indicted in the past couple of weeks. These two were the first house candidates to endorse then candidate Trump during the campaign.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think one of the best trophies from the war is the NVA battleflag that hangs in the governor's office in Minnesota. They captured it and have had it proudly displayed since. Every single time Virginians have asked for it back, Minnesota governors have politely told them to kiss their rear end.

https://www.twincities.com/2017/08/20/minnesota-has-a-confederate-symbol-and-it-is-going-to-keep-it/

god damnit beaten by literal seconds lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Everything’s coming up milhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

boop the snoot posted:

Trump is screwed but only if Democrats get the majority. And even that isn’t guaranteed. And even if it was guaranteed it still isn’t a guarantee.

The Democratic party cannot get 66 senators no matter what this fall, so unless some republicans cross the aisle he won't be removed from office even if impeached by the house.

• Locked thread