Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
God my life is a toilet and it's all thanks to this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I made less than that my first year

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

How much did you make when you were 34, though?

e: I should clarify, I don't think I should be making biglaw dollars, but ambulance chasing doesn't seem like it's going to turn into anything in 3-5 years that's paying over 100k either. I don't need to be rich, but I would like to be comfortable.

Check with me in two years.

You can definitely make 100k after 5 years as a solo.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I had a friend switch from a small office to a big family firm.

"How do you like firm life?"

"Two associates quit and I billed 300 hours last month."

"Oof."

"You know if you want to hop over there's a place for you."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

Same :smith:

Then we got plucky young scraps at 29. Yuns would have to be in his 40s at least and maybe even in his 50s SV, so you're number 3 I believe.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I send a settlement offer to one of the big firms in town that says "We want to get dad a stairstep visitation schedule so he can get used to this kid, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday 6-8."

They send back a bitchier letter that says "We want to see the kid more and Mom won't let us, we propose Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday 6-8."

I send back "Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, 6-8. If this is acceptable, please sign and return to me."

They cross through "If this is acceptable, please sign and return to me." and then sign it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This job is loving awful.

The judges are awful, the clients are awful and the attorneys are awful.

They all go out of their way to make things so loving hard.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
We had a judge flash a gun at her own loving bailiff

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nice piece of fish posted:

See this is what we need more of. Bugfuck crazy US legal shenanigans. Did you know that you guys practice something called a "deposition". It's the weirdest thing, it's where you don't allow a judge to watch a witness lie in real time but instead have lawyers there to badger the hell out of witnesses and then write down that witness's fuckups. It's amazing.

You also have "jury selection" which is just... :psyduck:

Jury selection owns. I acted as a voir dire consultant this year and I'm pretty sure I'm the reason why the guy won his custody case.

"No single mothers. No one who knows how a divorce case works. We want deadbeat dads and people without kids."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I got approached by a well known attorney yesterday in Court with a job offer.

It's more money, more trial time, and the dude is really loving good.

That said, how bad will it look on my resume if I've left two jobs in a row after 6 months.

Depends on if you can eat his firm when he dies.

I got off my rear end and refinanced my student loans.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

Obviously you haven't seen Kiryu Kazama fight

He kills no men except in paradise

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

I'm defending dick jokes over in GBS, WHO ELSE IS BORED

You have to understand that the reason I love drag so much is that drag has THE BEST dick jokes. NO ONE makes dick jokes like drag queens.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I finally saw a lawyer today that made me say "Holy poo poo. That guy's loving awesome."

He bills $1,000 an hour in family court.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

El_Elegante posted:

How well does he dress?

Fantastically.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CaptainScraps posted:

Fantastically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtt4u3WnTCY

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
What percentage of referral business do you get to keep as incentive?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I refer anyone to the PI firm we refer to I get 100% of the referral fee.

Get a percentage of the Crim too. Also if you're ballsy, do family law. Dv cases are good money but absolutely soul crushing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

She asked if I wanted to do family law in house for them. I told her not particularly, but I would if I need to.

My hardest cases are dv.

I'd recommend learning to do both or really specializing in dui law.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

I’m in course to become a certified mediator and this seems vastly better than actually practicing law. Hope rises again.

Why would I hire you when you've got no experience in evaluating a case?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Seriously, mediation is the hardest thing I do. Litigating is easy. Mediating is brutal.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

Free to me is why I’m here. The instructor was one of my professors in a mediation class I took. Basically she said it would enable me to do the mandatory custody and divorce mediation, and some low level federal stuff like SEC disputes. She has a mediation firm and is willing to throw me a few bones.

Ugh. If you need help with family law pm me. Half of it is knowing where agreements break down and how to prevent future fuckups.

Seriously I'm so god-damned picky about which mediator for which party.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Mediation is the loving worst god-damned thing. I hate it and this poo poo is miserable.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Here in Dallas County, a Judge excluded expert witness testimony which killed a Plaintiff's case.

That was enough for the Plaintiff's bar to run a 30 year old against him. He won't be on the bench after Dec. 31.

Given that I'm on the Defense side now, that seems.... Bad.

Same thing happened in one of the district courts. He granted an msj, plaintiffs funded a Challenger, Challenger was the right demographic and won.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

evilweasel posted:

first-chairing depositions is so much better and i never realized how much better, until i told the midlevel second-chairing the deposition "i've only been on this case for a week and don't actually know anything about the guy, so i need the outline you're writing to be so detailed that anyone could take it and do this deposition"

and then he did, and then i got to take credit for his work by having the deposition go very well

First chairing is so much better. The other thing is I like having taken enough testimony to know when someone's lying or being squirrely with me or setting up traps for them. God, it's so good.

Seriously, no one takes as much testimony as goddamn family lawyers do.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
His arms look like they're made out of dick skin

Also God I keep my practice open just for pi cases and when comes in I'm so happy.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I just got text messages from a witness. It's opposing party threatening to put witness's grandson in inpatient treatment if she testifies. I'm so excited.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm gonna use em as evidence. I don't care what the cops do.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I got hosed today. Judge didn't think witness intimidation was relevant.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ActusRhesus posted:

Depends on the facts. What happened?

Arguing mom weaponizes her children and creates unhealthy relationship.

THEN I found out the judge I was in front of is facing contempt for doing the exact same thing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I stream bad RPGs with my dog while my wife dunks on me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

And just quit my job. Had a hearing this morning where I had to attempt to rip into a crying witness on the stand to discredit her testimony. I’m not about this life. I feel like poo poo. I’m still available to get paid hourly as they need for appearances and such, and my boss is willing to help me find a better job for me.

Respect, homie. It's brutal.

When I'm off the clock, I really try my hardest not to be serious. I gotta be serious all loving day. Can't survive otherwise.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

gently caress insurance companies, they objectively suck. Boo hoo someone shaving off the top of my profits. But fraud is a lovely way to go about wealth redistribution, and the plaintiff lawyers and quacks getting rich off of that fraud is just as immoral.

In Texas, worker's comp insurance companies will call every injury a sprain or a strain so they don't have to pay for surgery and make every plaintiff go through contested cases. They also get whore doctors to write reports based off medical records without ever having seen or examining the patients.

I'm talking "They call getting an arm dismembered a sprain and say you should only be off work 6 weeks."

gently caress them.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

General counsel office for worker's comp.

Oh no

No no no no no

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
One of you better LP this game.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Good advice. The problem is he bills flat fee for cases so there are no "billable hours." He makes 5-7k per case and has about 300 active cases.

I'd tell you to do a contract where you essentially trade equity for years of service with a guaranteed base salary and a increasing revocable percentage of ownership every year, with you receiving the greater part of net proceeds or your salary, depending on which is which and a buyout provision if you're there more than 3 years but less than 7.

You can totally negotiate this to where you're not screwed. You're a lawyer goddammit!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Spent six hours trying a divorce where mom claimed dad was In a Nigerian sex cult that raped women and she had been physically abused every week for thirteen years. Despite 652 incidences of alleged violence, no pictures, records, witnesses or police reports.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

Scraps, is that you?

Yeah, I got a new name. Same name but Captainscraps was a younger, angrier man.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

How many of you lawyers are happy?

How many of you are in public defense?

How many of you would do something different if you could hop in a time machine?

Eh. My wife and dog and friends are amazing. My clients legitimately love me. My job is loving brutal.

Nope.

Yes. I'd go work for a big corporation.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Job update: The guy promised a lot of sweet stuff and offered me a position. I typed up what we had discussed in a "this letter confirms..." letter. Dude got super weird and rescinded the offer.

Bullet dodged.

He's a handshake guy. They're squirrelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Start making Let's Plays and become a social media influencer.