Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Holy poo poo there is a new thread.

There has been a new thread for two years?

Losing internet cred.

Still lawyering in the same lower mainland crim office since 2011.

Mar-July was poo poo but since early August I have been making v good billing months as I guess work piled up.

:coronatoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Vox Nihili posted:

What the hell is the "lower mainland?"

It is my butt

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

thehoodie posted:

Lower mainland as in BC?

Yup

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

evilweasel posted:

thanks, we’ve all been waiting on tenterhooks for five months :v:

I should loving hope so.

Three weeks ago one of my Legal Aid clients went to bench warrant because he didn't show and I hadn't heard from him in... like 3 months.

On Friday night he was arrested and said terrible things to me over his phone call from cells.

On Saturday morning I told the Crown to dump that poo poo because the file was garbage and 12 months old.

Miracle of miracles he listened. Boom. Saturday morning stay of proeedings.

Go to bill that sucker, Non Trial Resolution is a weekday service; Plese select a valid day.

What the poo poo kind of garbage billing system is this

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

thread posted:

Usually while they're screaming at you as if it's your fault. "Look, dude, you're right. You are getting hosed, and it's not fair. But I need you to listen to me. Right now, you're on a train track. You can try standing on the track and yelling at me and at the train and see how that works, or you can listen and I can try to help you ride the train out of this building" [this building being the jail]

it might come up if they are trying to ignore advice again as a "here's why you listen to me" but that's about trying to stop the next stupid thing not whack knuckles for the previous one

So blow or don't blow?

Depending on your jurisdiction the penalty for not blowing is probably the same or worse and proof a lot easier to adduce than if you blow.

Literally had a convo the other day:

N: If you go to treatment this will go better, and you'll stop making so much work for me.

A: I want to go, but not this time. Next time?

N: You're the boss!

This one's not one of us is it.

e: nm. still alarming

ee: "proof easier to advice"? gently caress typing on phones

Nichol fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 23, 2021

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

You're free to disagree, but I feel that you DUI guys are providing lots of support for my point of view.
I resent this, my jurisdiction has had non-criminal administrative driving prohibitions for 90% of impaired driving investigations since before I was called to the bar.

I'm a ppt guy goddamnit.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
So my boss is retiring and I'm not technically but am basically taking over his practice, moving space, building walls in a new space, being on the hook for things. buying printers It is terrifying.

I don't want to be a businessperson I just want to open and close files and embarrass cops on the stand. Why is this happening?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Vox Nihili posted:

Sounds like you've lucked into a substantial degree of success! Make sure to track down an invite to the secret discord for successful lawyers (as opposed to that other one).

Also, gently caress printers forever. The second we installed some new ink (extra larger reservoirs!) for our home printer (now also the de facto office printer) it immediately bricked without any sort of warning.

Speaking of which any lower mainland lawyers want to make bank doing largely traffic? I know a guy dying for associates...

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Grip it and rip it posted:

Which region? I uh, need to know. For prospective reasons

Vancouver BC

@ printers I bought a used pedestal hp 630 flow off Craigslist. It seems feature rich and toner cheap so fingers crossed. And has huge paper capacity so...

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
pm sent.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

thehoodie posted:

Is this the firm I think it is? Or is there another traffic ticket mill around?

I mean, maybe probably?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Holy poo poo being a business person is the worst part of this whole thing. What is a PBX why won't my old fashioned phones work with old fashioned phone lines do I need to pay for 4 phone lines in 2021 that seems absurd. Quite frankly even having one phone line seems silly. They installed a phone modem at my office so I can get phone service over the internet then back into old fashioned phones but they told me my nortel meridian phones with warranty expiry 1989 stickers on the back are the wrong types of phones unless I buy a phone computer. What even is this

Also I bought a boat and I've been so busy loving around with phones I haven't sailed it yet gently caress law

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

SlothBear posted:

Free man above the bar!!!

Saw a lady this morning claim she couldn't enter the courtroom unless the Queen was present (at least by video).

She was strongly urged to get some legal advice.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

blarzgh posted:

in fairness I have to tell on myself bc I'm playing Nier Automata lately so my superiority on such things is dubious

I finally uninstalled this thing a few weeks ago. Now I only play echo arena

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Drunken thought last night:
Big Law lawyers are culturally PMC liberals whose work furthers the society-ruining forces they, at some level, realize are destructive. This cognitive dissonance is a main driver of the alcoholism endemic in the profession.

Plaintiff's injury attorneys are culturally petite bourgeois small business tyrants whose work can, in some respects, actually improve the lives of people who have been hosed over by forces bigger than themselves. If they were in any other line of work, they would be the loudest advocates of tort reform.

Does this observation from a rising 2L whose exposure to the world of law is mostly from academia hold any water?

Also, got ranked 1 in my part time class.

This guy is a big fish in a barrel.

Anyone with any sense whatsoever would be against tort reform. Here in BC we just passed no fault insurance. No longer are the injured compensated for the costs of their treatment if it was reasonable, now they are basically fighting with an insurer for coverage from day 1.

David Eby got me paid though so :coal:

We only had to organize and threaten job action on the part of the entire Legal Aid defence bar

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

nutri_void posted:

In Soviet Russia...
FTFY. Now it is an unpopular joke format rather than a run-on sentence!

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
While judge giving reasons through an interpreter today, the prosecutor leaned over to me and asked "Did the judge impose no alcohol or drug conditions on bail?" Without missing a beat I lean back over to him and say, "I don't know. I wasn't listening. At all."

It is 509 on a Friday and I am still in court.

LAW SCHOOL DOESN'T PAY KIDS

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Sup law thread, checking in after a long absence. 12 years in crim defence and I've finally been poached by the government, to be the Canadian equivalent of the Wire's Rhonda Pearlman. Time to trade the stacks of cash from questionable sources and midnight phone calls and constant dread of loving up and driving all over the province for an office, 9-5*, suit and tie, and pension.

Well I guess this is growing up

* lol no it fuckin won't be

Oh no not you too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Dallan Invictus posted:

keep reading, you'll love the shocking plot twist
Oh no Sorry Cmdr. We need more real lawyers at Crown offices. At least around here it is dire.

Popero posted:

Going to law school because you like to argue is a better reason than weed law

I did weed law then they made weed legal and now I do tons of fent law. The stakes are high it sucks.