Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Good joke about Ilclan guys, I can't believe they're still saying that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Luckily every plastic model box they make is good for aloha strike!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd also like to mention that, especially if you're getting into BT with a group of people who might not have a huge tolerance for fiddly rules, you can dial down the complexity by playing some Alpha Strike.

I would recommend it in general if you want people to play more than a lance in a game, just in the interest of a game not taking hours and hours.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I was going to say, you used to be able to find those lance packs for like 10 bucks each, although that limits cheap minis to those + starter set models. Once you start getting into metal minis the price skyrockets, and if I’m doing something that’s not like classic era BT I end up printing tokens.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tell me more about 3d-printed mechs, that sounds great.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Any news lately? Are the box sets still scheduled to be out soonish?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord Frisk posted:

Same question as many months ago: will there ever be a new Alpha Strike box?

Second question: why are you not playing Alpha Strike like all the time?

All boxes are Alpha Strike boxes since they come with the cards!

I think there are people on the catalyst forums doing unofficial work on new combat manuals but I'm not holding my breath for seeing another actual official AS book ever again, which sucks. It's hard enough to get rules for the "regular" game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I thought Victor was dead?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Strobe posted:

Can confirm, it's improved. Basic rules are presented in much clearer layout, redundancy removed, aerospace got a full overhaul, some balance factors were addressed (mostly in the terrain section), some minor QOL changes (mostly to do with mismatched ground/alternate movement modes), and the whole force building and scenarios section is laid out much better.

I may be biased.

I'm definitely getting it day one (or zero if it's here for Origins).

Hell yeah! I can finally replace my copy, which I had printed and spiral-bound from the PDF back when I was in college.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm just buying an add-on. I have no need for another rulebook or anything else in the intro box.

I'm tempted to do this and grab all the minis from the two starter boxes, since I never bought those and they're all I want out of them anyway

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mugaaz posted:

Alpha Strike sounds better to me because I want to play with more than 4 mechs. I have yet to play either, but I don't see the point to for that level of simulation detail?

That kind of detail can be really fun when you're running games as part of a long-running campaign, especially if you pair it with the RPG (or a better RPG, honestly) and make every hit location and credit's worth of damage actually matter.

If you just want to play games, I'd do Alpha Strike all day.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Someday I'll run a campaign involving all the scopes from Interstellar Operations on down, and I will thoroughly enjoy the hours of prep work I do and the half a session I play with my friends.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is probably a dumb question but something I've never really been clear on. Does the RPG have mech combat in it at all or is it really just a life simulator for the pilot? Like is it just a set of rules for wandering around a city as a person with a vibroblade and a gun and then if you get into a mech they expect you to play CBT?

There's a really bad conversion of mech combat rules to the RPG system in an appendix but they honestly expect you to switch game systems when you get in the robot

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

General Battuta posted:

The best clan is Steel Viper for their arc from ‘sane Warden politics and well trained soldiers’ to ‘build a super star destroyer and directly cause the mass genocide of the homeworld clans.’ The worst clan is Snow Raven because their gimmick (warship fleets) is inherently setting-breaking so all they get to do is gradually lose their fleet. The clans are at their best, story-wise, when pushed to absolute insanity.

Integrating the clans into IS politics so they can do more than occasionally threaten to invade and be stymied by protagonists was one of the setting’s best developments.

This is why the Nova Cats are my favorite

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The introduction of double heat sinks ruined battletech, quiaff.

neg, the inexorable march of time ruined battletech

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’ve been reading battletech books for 20-something years now and I just today realized that I had the location of the federated suns and lyran commonwealth reversed the whole time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I read a shitload of Stackpole books as a kid, before following the "main" timeline into Twilight of the Clans and the FedCom Civil War books.

I dunno if I recommend that path or not but they were good to me as a pre-teen/teenager

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Urbanmech looks like a trash can

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nystral posted:

EDIT:

The last BT novel I read was the one where the IS invasion of the clans wrapped up and the final chapter was this long running character being killed by an assassin using some kind of poison in the space brandy he sipped as a victory drink. Am I remembering that right? I want to say it was towards the end of first run of BT novels post Victor Steiner Davon figured out this mom was killed by his sister (I think??? Been a long time) and pre-Dark Age / Word of Blake Jihad / THE INNER SPHERE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN.

That's during the series where the IS takes out the Smoke Jaguars, yeah. I thought it happened near the beginning but I don't remember anymore.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It’s going to take forever to remember what all the options are and pick out a force.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I have no clue what to get for my Star Colonel pledge. Looking for a relatively even mix of Clan and IS. Any suggestions pack wise? Also isn't getting IS packs better bang for your buck wise as you get the free salvage box(clan mech) if chosen as a non-add on?

You get the free salvage box because the IS packs have 4 mechs while the clan packs have 5, so it’s a wash on a per model basis.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If I'm working from the old Intro boxed set, GoAC, the beginner box, and some random Alpha Strike boxes, are there any mechs in there that are ridiculous for a Mercenary company to have? Most of the advice I find online just says "salvage means anyone could have anything!" and I guess that's true but like I'm pretty sure there's a Dragon in the old box and that would be weird for someone non-Kurita to have, right?

I feel like I'm overthinking this and I should just play with whatever I want, but I thought I'd ask.

edit: this is an overly broad question, so let's say in 3050 so I can use all the kickstarter stuff when it gets here

edit edit: this helps a lot https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uaA9PPHEZSnYszox2HIv6Tgfz3iYhHQwIezNeg1vND8/edit#gid=664907675 turns out the answer is just take whatever the hell you want

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 4, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

General Battuta posted:

When does the timeline advance again, god drat

Theoretically when the Il-Clan book comes out, if it ever does

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The linebacker is so beefy

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I know the old starter box sculpt is doing it no favors, but I forgot how goofy the JagerMech looks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I said come in! posted:

Is there anything new yet on the Phase 1 kickstarter sets ever actually shipping?

They're still on track for July after Covid shut down their factories.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Floppychop posted:

I guess I'd certainly want to go more the mech aspect. I was thinking the players as a merc company. If I just wanted normal humans throughout I'd just do something like use the shadowrun system minus magic with Battletech background.

I guess I could always do that for out-of-combat, then just use the Battletech "game of armored combat" rules for, well, combat.

This is always an option in the Battletech RPGs, with rules to translate your characters into pilots for the board game. It's pretty much the way I'd go, although the mech combat rules in Destiny aren't awful.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nystral posted:

Is that a king crab?

Yes, from one of the upcoming Comstar boxes

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Warships were cool in the task force serpent books but that's about it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alpha Strike is a good middle ground, with its lance-type specific bonus rules. Cuts down on the bookkeeping but lets you do something thematic.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. If I played HBS battletech should I skip the intro box and go straight to the core set?

HBS won't really prepare you for the table-top game, but you can skip the intro box either way.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baron Porkface posted:

What rules information do I need to coherently read poptarts’ LP?

None if you're not playing, they explain everything pretty well in the updates, IMO.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm looking at the Clan invasion kickstarter and it says there is a choice of 2 of 19 lance/Star packs. Looking around I only see 5 current gen upcoming plastic packs, are the other 14 older generation?

There are a bunch more coming out in a 2nd (and maybe 3rd?) wave of releases.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Taintrunner posted:

Catalyst Game Labs is a very strange company.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Light mechs are also good for hiding behind terrain for a few turns then darting out to contest a key objective at the end of the game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I didn't know they had detailed what happened with the HPGs that much. Is the info just spread out tidbit by tidbit in a bunch of different books?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm just glad they're reopening the pledge manager at all, there's a ton more stuff I want after seeing the renders.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, I have been meaning to give it a try. I have the badger white primer for airbrushing on and my last two bottles just are not good. The Grey is incredible, but it just isn't manageable for doing this much white stuff.

Honestly I've never had great luck with badger's white primer, I've even moved away from using it for zenithal priming. My go to is just white paint of whatever brand you like (I use Scale 75 and Pro Acryl) mixed with white ink.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the kickstarter mechs, is there a supplement with a good overview of all the clans and their history, or should I just go through the relevant Historical/Era Reports and put the info together myself?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Defiance Industries posted:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/The_Clans:_Warriors_of_Kerensky is the best summary for Clan history and what each Clan is about.

As far as the military units involved and running down what their deal is, you want FM: Crusaders and FM: Wardens.

Thanks!

Snake Dance posted:

Here's a quick rundown from me, Jordan Weisman, the creator of Battletech.

Wolf: Lame and they always win. There's also Wolf-In-Exile if you really want to crank up the Mary Sue-ness
Falcons: Lame and they love tradition, then turn full genocidal maniac in later fluff
Nova Cats: Only kinda lame, they go on spirit quests and then turn traitor to the rest of the clans then eventually get destroyed
Ghost Bears: End up combining with some of the Inner Sphere and love family, much like Dom Toretto
Smoke Jaguars: Lame and they get wiped out then they come back. They love killing.
Diamond Sharks: They like selling things. Lame.
Fire Mandrill: They keep fighting amongst themselves then get wiped out. Lame.
Coyote: More spirit quest bullshit
Snow Raven: They fly stuff, and also suck
Wolverine: Dead
Widowmaker: Dead and absorbed and their original Khan looked like an absolute moron
Burrock: Absorbed and also they're named after a giant centipede
Mongoose: Ride lovely BMX bikes. Also absorbed.
Ice Hellion: Gotta go fast and they get mad. Cool.
Blood Spirit: Nobody else liked them then they got wiped out. Also built the Blood Kite, one of the shittiest looking mechs of all time.
Star Adder/Steel Viper/Galaxy Asp/Cloud Cobra: These guys are all the same then Steel Viper gets killed. Lame.
Hell's Horses: It's literally just a horse with fangs. They use infantry and drive tanks. Played by people who don't "get" the point of Battletech.
Goliath Scorpions: They do drugs and then gently caress off to build their own realm in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you for your time.

Hm, I love tradition but I also love family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Man, there’s a whole lot of stuff in this Kickstarter box. The Nova Cat logo looks real good as a pin.