Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
To me it looks like the final boss in the game - apparently a custom Hellbringer/Loki called 'Brimstone'

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Dante_Fierus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHRmYji3rWE&t=6174s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
Mechwarrior 4 was:

Inner Sphere Lasers = Red

Clan Lasers = Green (maybe the Clan Small Lasers were red as well, I don't remember)

X-Pulse Lasers = Blue

Bombast Laser (Charge Up Beam that not sure is canon?) = Purple/Red

Then you had different size and sound for each beam.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Found a Neuschwanstein 3d puzzle at Salvation Army for $3. Worth it. This turned out great - fun with my whole family playing with an invading Clan force targeting three objectives of the Royal Palace (Spaceport, Power Generator, Royal Family in the courtyard) against a defending Inner Sphere force.

The Clanners pulled it off at the expense of most of their force - only the Thor and Daishi were left standing, with the Thor landing killing blows on all three objectives while being chased! a real MVP. Still, a pyrrhic victory..

Clans:
Daishi
Thor
Vulture (Destroyed)
Cougar (Destroyed)
Nova (Destroyed)
Elementals (Blasted apart by the Awesome)

IS:
Awesome
Catapult
Centurion (Destroyed)
Thanatos (Destroyed)
Uziel
Archer

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
In honor of Orktober I present to you: the Orkjack and its assembly guide

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

hmm i still have some 40k ork bits lying around i might need to make my pirates a bit more mad max

For anyone else, please enjoy this Bitz Kit I created for the occasion:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6285789

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

Well good news on that front, charging in one of the really fast Wolf mechs is universally a bad loving idea (the Amarok does not count as fast here). Both the Stormwolf and the Thresher II have Reflective armor and take double damage in return, the Kontio has melee weapons it would rather be using and charging is anti-synergy with TSM, and the Wulfen has Stealth armor and doesn't like melee so getting close is burning one of your only advantages for basically no gain. The Dominator at 5/8[10]/5 sort of counts but if you're in line of sight and not shooting the guns you paid that much BV for then you're doing your opponent a favor.

It doesn't rate as a problem to me. Dedicated chargebots can be heinous but none of these fit the bill.

EDIT: the Charger C (not the Charger CGR-C) is probably best poised to rip off a charge that unexpectedly does almost a hundred damage (yes, seriously) but also you're paying for a drat good Clan Assault to do it and a good one of those will do that much damage in the time it takes you to close and initiate the charge so it's still not typically a good use of your resources. Very funny though.

I love the Charger C enough that I made a custom model for it:

The Charger SH - the "Switch Hitter" Variant is a knockoff of a Charger C intended for spec. ops customers. Buyers in Capellan Confederation, Draconis Combine, and FedSuns. This one is a DEST Charger-SH

Some new stuff:

I kitbashed some Hunchbacks to have a more VOTOMS vibe - they've got bits from a Dom mobile suit, the Mechwarrior 4 Hunchback, MWO Hunchback, and the Votoms Scopedog. No name for this variant yet, maybe Sabre or Ka-bar.

Dropped 'em into Solaris Steiner Stadium

Cauldronborn and Kodiak provide a Mechwarrior 2 Ghost Bear opening cinematic moment.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

raverrn posted:

Late, but please do this to the Falconer.

This sculpt I found on Thingiverse sadly falls short of the vision. On left is literal swap and the arm and leg locations are so close it only makes it weirder

on the right is me taking liberties with Falconer anatomy, and you get a lost member of the Archer/Vulture/Avatar family????

Ivan Prisypkin fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 15, 2023

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Len posted:

How do the speed paints work over black primer? I did spray mine black but it sounds like they work best over something with a white coat

I use GW Contrast Militarum Green, Blood Angels Red, and Aggaros Dunes, and have found that drybrushing white over the black really helps a lot! With aggaros Dunes the difference is really stark, since you'll get muddy brown with black vs desert camo tan with white.

For getting paints I was watching the Camospecs tutorials and specifically nabbed the paints used. The Vallejo WWII Allies color set is awesome if you want more camo stuff, and it comes with Vallejo Pale Sand, which somehow you can drybrush onto everything and it just adds detail.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
RE: Neo-space feudalism, I was listening to Yanis Varouvakis's latest book talk and his case that Amazon's business model is a new form of "technofeudalism" focused on rent-seeking over profit in a way that he argues abandons capitalism altogether for a desire to control entire markets.

Maybe not what we expected space feudalism to look like, but I think that would be a more interesting angle to focus Battletech: less focus on profit but possessions of corporate aristocracy etc.

Another thing I've been pondering: paint.

How do so many people get thousands of tons of paint to cover their giant robots in cute color schemes? Subscriber model access to the Vallejo Paints Memory Core?

Even then are there paint factories on every planet? Without it you're conceivably stuck with what people most commonly painted barns with: linseed oil, lime, skim milk, rust, and if you're rich, blood. So white mechs or red mechs are the cheapest to paint unless you wanna spring for fancy pigments. Maybe bare corrosion-proof space-metal too.

I like the idea of a unit mixing new paint from the soil of local planet for a vernacular paint job every time they jump planets.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I hope nobody here's actually advocating for corporate feudalism IRL. It has funny haha moments in satire and fantasy and whatever, but it's also caused very real degradation in cultures with limited access to ameliorating influences (positive social outlets not compromised by said corpos). Thread chat is getting weird

Naturally painted 'Mechs is amusing but BT at least has the sense at this point to have spelled out that worlds of a certain technology level or higher already can provide (or import, or even export) essential goods to create whatever that tech level consists of.

Yeah I think its completely absurd concept. don't want to derail so here's a youtube video by the guy pointing out our global economy is ominously heading that way.

Thanks for recommendation!! looks good.

Farmers used pigs blood! Gives a barn that deep red color. I guess if you're Capellan you make do. If it's Lyran is it blue?

As for Battletech itself, I've been playing a lot of games of Hexed Alpha Strike with a simulated opponent using Brym's Opfor (fan simulated opponent like Battletech Aces). Pretty fun to just test out mechs and compositions.
Here's a skirmish over some refinery/SC2 building complex between a security force and some raiders who have Clanners in tow(bondsmen? exiles? who knows?)

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd love a Marauder and Catapult double pack to cut up and make a "Mad Cat" out of. I've seen a couple of them made that way and it looks :3:

Rakshasa Dev Team Force Pack

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
all that Mad Cat posting made me want to make a Rakshasa, so here's one from the MW4 Catapult and Mektek Marauder, progress so far:

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
Posting Mechs:

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

There's this guy with his own campaign in the Hinterlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGcDuZX_Drs

I love this guy - animated weapons fire, lush scenery, big mess of mech combat.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
I've been playing Alpha Strike with Brym's Opfor, which is similar to Aces but not official. I use an 8d instead of the printed cards mode and its great for fast Alpha Strike games.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

55 tonners are way too durable for a teaching game. The game abruptly ending to a weird combo of dice rolls ripping a light mechs leg off on turn 3 is a feature.

lol yeah - my first CBT game with a buddy was Shadow Hawk vs Wolverine, and it took like 3 hours as we stumbled through the rules until we burned out and mercifully an ammo bin on the Shadow Hawk exploded. I went to Alpha Strike after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Rakshasa posting - I was surprised to learn that a Rakshasa MDG-2A is a 5/8MV that shoots 6/6/0 in Alpha Strike for 47 pts (56 for a skill 3).
No CASE to protect from ammo hits.

A Nova T (has jump jets, CASE, OMNI, and less armor) might do better. BUT I can run a full lance of Mad Cats now (Rakshasa, Mad Cat, Mad Cat, Mad Cat MK II)

Ivan Prisypkin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 6, 2024