Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yup, here's their latest official art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

apologies if this has been posted already, but there's a fundraising raffle for The Trevor Project with a bunch of battletech stuff as raffle prizes here

100% of the money goes to TTP (minus the usual processing fees, unless you opt in to paying those as well, which imo you should), every $5 is a raffle entry, instructions on that page for where to send donation confirmation for raffle entry

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd describe vehicles as being like rock, paper, scissors; except wheeled vehicles just get screwed if they touch any surface that isn't concrete.

rock, tissue paper, scissors

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

You can pick a faction that has a cool name or cool logo [...] and then just go from there.

my plan: look at this cool logo, ignore all associated lore, make a lance where all units must have an axe and/or be mostly legs by proportion

hachetman, catapult, and then two others idk

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Floppychop posted:

Axman and Nightsky

ooh, nightsky looks kinda like the way they did the hatchetman in HBStech, where the hatchet is flush with the arm but when you melee it extends and tilts up to be like a proper axe.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

new theme, based on one of the best typos i've seen: clan hello horse

goal: to suddenly and without warning charge up close and say hello!!! - speed and short-range firepower are key

Grendel G (or C to save BV)

Griffin IIC 2 or 3

Phantom B or C

Locust IIC 2

and then a Thunder Stallion to round it our because this star needs more horse

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Also if you want MORE HORSE look up the Balius

:hmmyes: Balius B is both very hello and very horse, an excellent addition to the company

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the outworlds alliance is kinda chill, sometimes

at the very least, i like their they only have three medals for their military: most improved (ground forces), most improved (air forces), and "defied odds to keep civilians safe"

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Saint Celestine posted:

What kind of composition should one go for at low BV values with no restriction on era, only that it has to be mechs only?

At 6k, an decent assault class machine is pushing 2,500 +, leaving very little room for anything else.

Should you try to do high tech, powerful units and only bring 2, or go for the quantity approach and bring 4/5 pilots and a full lance?

more mechs = more dice to roll on offense, and less damage concentration on defense

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

depends on how you're classifying "legal", but the totally-legally-distinct name used instead of "battletech [mech name]" on 3d printing sites is "american mecha [mech name/legally-distinct mech name]"

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

there is precedent

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ i read it recently, and it was Fine. sortek's likeable enough, there was at least one decently-written mech fight, and the writing style wasn't my jam but specifically in the way that a lot of 80s scifi novels are not my jam, so no point off for that.

the clone scheme was kinda convoluted though - choosing "making sure that your prisoner sees some of the clone scheme while sick and drugged, so that he casts doubt on himself when he tries to warn about the clone scheme" vs. "just fuckin killing him so he can't warn about the scheme" is very dumb in my books

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

why is sarna dot net named after sarna, anyway?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the sword and the dagger

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

they clearly said good stories

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Tried doing PTN's Draconis Suns colours but I'm not feeling the scheme. Not sure if it's the colours themselves or if it's just that tricolor splits like these always looks slightly goofy.

hell yeah

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

Well that's pretty awesome. Appreciate it.

i though you were getting a zeus though??

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

this just got posted on reddit, nice little random scenario generator https://skirmishengine.com/deploy

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the size/weight for heavy gear would work for BA and protomechs too, iirc

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

five points of heat for ending in a fire hex, two points of heat for each fire hex that you have exited (so ending in a fire hex without touching any others that turn will be 5 heat that turn, not seven). also if the hex you're standing in gets ignited, it affect your heat until next turn (so it'll probably be 2 heat for leaving the hex)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

TheParadigm posted:

Thanks for this.

As a follow up question, one i probably should have asked the first time - does a hex that's on fire actually make smoke, or is that optional rules shenanigans?

fire creates smoke, depending on various factors - it's all in Tactical Operations

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

inspired by someone on reddit who swapped the arms and legs of their rifleman mini, i did this:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

personally i call it the Manrifle

LaSquida posted:

I really enjoy the ghost.

me too, but i can't take credit for that, or for anything other than swapping the arms and legs (and then fixing a few gaps because the original art's arms had covered some things). it's the art for the Legend Killer, from the Battletech: Legends artbook

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Catalyst just released a premium Rifleman in their store, so you can make it.

someone did already

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

raverrn posted:

Late, but please do this to the Falconer.

none of the pics on sarna are very good for swapping limbs imo

i have already made a falconmoth, if that interests you:

adding fire moth arms to mechs is fun and easy

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

someone on a discord suggested a "borzoi equivalent of a catapult" so i did an edit

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i love the three-possum moon

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

GD_American posted:

I mean....is there any Mech out there more Kuritan than any of those four?

Grand Dragon :smug:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Xotl posted:

Speaking of which, here's a preview of the upcoming MechCommander's Handbook:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,83361.0.html

could someone who has an account there post the preview here? Xotl says "Feel free to spread the preview around" so no :filez: worries there

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

thank you!

e:

it has a salvador dali mustache

biosterous fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 5, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Holybat posted:

I'd be on board if CGL would just commit and redo some of the damage values on ballistic weapons. I don't see why they couldn't just do a blanket revision rename the AC/2 to light autocannon, AC/5 to medium, and so on in an errata which would then give them a free hand to not have to have a gun do 2 points of damage because it's in the name.

proposal:
ac/20 is autocannon
ac/10 is autorifle
ac/5 is auto-???
ac/2 is auto-???

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

any new/updated art in the new guide?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

what's the point of jettison-capable weapons? the cases i can think of are "gauss rifle is one crit from exploding, might as well drop it" and "hot-loaded missile launcher, ditto". i don't get why, for example, the battlemaster has a jettison-capable ppc

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Traveller posted:

mech covered in anime idol girls

there was that one group in the SLDF that was full of weebs and when they got deployed to kurita they did this, and the kuritans were like "please, stop, what is wrong with you people"

i can't remember what their unit was called/numbered, somebody help me out thanks

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

battletechnicals

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

spotted on Randall's instagram, apparently:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

latest artbash shitpost: the HawkHawkHawkHawkHawk

other hawks exist but i specifically used the ones where the mw5 models are available to a modder a friend

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i am continuing to have Good Ideas

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

having an imp that looked good would definitely be a novelty

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Needs a hatchet.

:hmmyes:

e: i think people's complaints that the current art for mechs look too consistent/similar given the centuries between mechs being designed is very reasonable and i broadly agree. that being said, it makes doing fun poo poo like this waaaaaaaay easier for me

biosterous fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

a cyborg mug posted:

Still waiting for a Wyvern that doesn’t look like ”slightly out-of-shape man”