Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Main game translator here. Ayu Ohseki translated about half the text and I did the other half, then I did the final passes, editing, etc. Excoriate me as necessary.

Looking forward to the LP going forward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Xander77 posted:

My super-vague memories tell me that Jury is literally the least terrible person in the entire school (with the possible exception of Utena)

Depends on whether you're more tolerant of Juri's or Miki's particular brands of shittiness.

Given full freedom of options, I would hang out exclusively with Wakaba, but alas.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Looks like you're using the first version of the translation patch. There's a major error in my pronoun use in this post, which was corrected in later releases. Sadly, the initial release is the one that got spread around the net the most and is most readily available.

I shouldn't have had Protagonist call Utena "her" yet

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Boyfriend.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Space constraints were, of course, a major factor in the phrasing of "wanna become engaged too." It looks like there was space to fit in an "I" and a space though, so I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Anyway, go for engagement.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I should probably thank Dallbun for doing such a good job with translating this (translating a text-heavy VN is no joke) and making it accessible to the rest of us.

I appreciate the thanks, and it was indeed a lot of effort. However, to some extent, I was expendable. People with adequate Japanese proficiency aren't that rare; if Ayu Ohseki and I hadn't translated this game, someone else would have, sooner or later.

In my opinion the biggest props should go to Endless, who showed up on the Empty Movement forums out of nowhere ready to tackle the programming side of things. Not a lot of people are eager to work with old Sega Saturn games, but Endless ripped the assets; created the patcher, translation checker, and other tools; made the translated versions of the images; and solved a lot of the myriad problems involved in getting this out the door. (Not all the problems; we never were able to put subtitles on the videos, for instance).

In any case, we're all glad to see people enjoying it. I'll be following along and will try not to be too much of a loudmouth. I did a screenshot LP of the game myself back in the day, translating as I went, so it's fun to be on the other side. :)

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

:eng99: This is bad and you should feel bad.

The other contender here was "if you had two duels, it'd be dual duels!" I think I made the right call. :colbert:

quote:

Wakaba is always a joy and a vibrant addition to whatever scene she's in.

She's also the most fun character to translate, followed closely by Utena herself.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah, looks like nobody is here after all. They must have today off from practice.

Patter Song posted:

Meet Ms. Juri Julie July Jury Arisugawa. I've literally seen all of the above transliterations of her name, and they're all basically viable, though some are more natural than others. The translation uses Juri, but I'm going to use Jury following the official English releases of both the manga and the anime. I have nothing against the Juri spelling and may in fact use them interchangeably because I don't have a professional editor looking over these posts)
As far as I'm concerned, Juri (like her peers) is supposed to have a somewhat aristocratic-sounding Japanese name; messing with your romanization to make it a homograph of an English word is pointless and/or misleading. And there's no reason to call her "Julie" unless you're going all-in 90's-style English dub and calling Touga "Tommy."

quote:

Meet Mr. Miki "Mickey" Kaoru. (Yes, his nickname is a ever so slightly longer vowel in his name).

Well, a longer vowel sound on the last "i" and a longer consonant sound (a geminate) on the k. But yes. In Japanese, that's enough to change the name from "aristocratic-sounding Japanese name" to "name of a famous cartoon mouse."

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 2, 2018

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Also, this show would be utterly impossible to censor enough to make it fit for American television of that time period unless you just stopped with the first 12 episodes, and even if you did, you'd have Nanami shoving the kitten into the river as a major plot point you'd really need to write around.

Nah, cutting out the kitten revelation would be simplicity itself. Nana is jealous of Utena for drawing Tommy's attention with his gift of a kitten. The end. :downs: And then she tries to muder Utena with knives and we might still have some issues here

Anyway, Enoki Films was only a rights-broker, and working out the censorship issues in detail was not their problem. They were trying to sell anime TV rights to foreign companies; they just had to make "Ursula's Kiss" look marketable enough to make their sale.

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 2, 2018

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Potsticker posted:

It's fine, I'm just waiting on the chance to make the most important vote: Smooch Touga

Yes. Smooching. That's what Touga does.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
The "just do-el it" joke was a warning shot, thread. If you continue down this path, you have only yourselves to blame.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

Manga Miki also had a crush on Utena, if I recall. That's not true for any of his other incarnations, fyi.

Miki also has a crush on Utena in the light novels. As well as... some other stuff going on.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is Song your given name and Patter your family name?

I can't remember if Japanese is one of the cultures where they put the family name first and the given name second, let alone knowing whether they've programmed this game accordingly.

The original post addresses those questions. The translation keeps surname first, Japanese-style, and the LPer switched the positions of the two words so that it shows up as Patter Song in the text.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

Interestingly enough, I don't remember any of the "siblings" being in the original manga, just in the anime. I THINK Miki makes a reference to having a sister at one point, but that's it.

Only Nanami is missing from the manga; or rather, she appears in a picture frame once and that's all. The other sibling relationships are intact. Kozue features prominently in Miki's story. She's just a lot less memorable than anime Kozue.

Also, the manga is not necessarily the "original," since it and the anime were being developed concurrently. Perhaps it's better to think of them as... fraternal twins?

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Dallbun will explain this joke, I'm sure, but it's some sort of pun.

Well, in the Japanese most of the sequence is the OC going off on how "Kimi, Miki!" ("You're Miki!") can be read the same backwards and forwards. Then it ends on a final bad pun which I am very proud of translating as the "take the mickey out of you" line.

THIS, however, is just a Hey Mickey reference. No regrets. :colbert:

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Flac posted:

I'm really, annoyingly biased towards the show, the original crew not being involved has me checking my expectations a bit, but it feels wrong to criticize this mostly harmless fanservice thing too hard.

It's true that Ikuhara and Enokido weren't involved, and they seem to have been the most influential figures in the production of the anime. However, quite a few members of the anime team worked on this game. Of the main five Be-Papas members, we have character designs by Utena character designer Shinya HASEGAWA, and Yuichiro OGURO (the Be-Papas guy with the least-sexy job) on board for planning and editorial supervision.

The co-directors for the game were Shingo KANEKO and Toru TAKAHASHI. They both directed various episodes of Utena throughout its entire course, and were clearly as involved in the project as anyone. (Among others, Kaneko directed episode 38, and Takahashi episode 39. Props!) Series and movie animators Akemi HAYASHI and Keiko KAWASHIMA were also there for animation and visuals. And, of course, J.A. Seazer.

Not anime crew, but the game was scripted by Ichiro OKOUCHI, who wrote the Utena light novels. I'm aware that does not give him an enormous amount of Utena fandom cred. (He did also write for RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Code Geass, and Azumanga Daioh though - he gets around.) Finally, the game was supervised by Hiroaki SAKURAI, the director of the Kodomo no Omocha anime. That has nothing to do with Utena, but I really love that anime so I wanted to mention it.

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 19, 2018

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

This is truly a classic game. I actually worked on a different translation project for it long ago; I think it would have been in 2001?

Please, please dig it out so I can see how you translated the jokes. :allears:

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Also, Protagonist-Us, stop just blurting out to people that Anime Dad was a teacher here and banged Anime Mom while she was a student. That's something that you shouldn't let everyone in on.

It's not at all clear from the text that this is what happened. They met at Ohtori, but they could have only hooked up after her mom graduated, when it was no longer quite as creepy.

That's not correct, but it appears to be what the Protagonist believes at this point.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Potsticker posted:

quote:

You will disappear.

The way it's written in english seems to mean that we're going to disappear, but the structure of the conversation makes it feel like it might be aimed at Utena instead?
Oh, it refers to the protagonist.

Veloxyll posted:

We will CATCH the Culprit

Although given the range of our investigative skills so far, this is a trick poll. because both are clearly Joke options!
Could this masked person be the same person we talked to in the fencing hall? :thunk: Now if only we could figure out their biological sex.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I will be showing off the joke, though. Don't worry.
Well, maybe worry a little.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

(the Slippery Mambo)
This loses something without the audio. Mostly I'm proud of retaining the general flow of the song chant monstrosity.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Well, see, I could have phrased it differently, but

I didn't

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

OK, so...I'm trying my hardest to come up with original jokes and observations in this thread, but sometimes, someone else said what needs to be said much better than you can, and sometimes, the person who said it is reading your thread and will notice if you reword his observation, and I know there's no way I can ever match the perfection of this:

Don't stress about this; draw whatever you like from my old LPs.

(I'll forward you my licensing rates shortly.)

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Awwwww

wait

:gonk:

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Ace of Aces posted:

I think she's saying "I had a pretty rough time too, although it wasn't on my first day" (which makes sense if you assume that the first episode of Utena anime isn't Utena's very first day, which was discussed earlier in the thread), so she's trying to be sympathetic.
That is the intent. And then she clarifies what she's talking about in the second line.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Ah, I remember the day I met my future wife, when she ominously told me that I would disappear once she defeated someone in a ritualistic duel. Good memories.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

But can we tell Utena a joke?

Really, can we tell anyone a joke?

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
"That's fine. Girls don't need to be strong. Or to have names that make sense."
-Patter Song's father, probably

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Andyzero posted:

Originally the dub was going to be called "Ursula's Kiss" and the original concept page...well

https://web.archive.org/web/20010409220651/http://www.enokifilmsusa.com:80/library/ursula.htm

Shortly after they made changes to match the original more; but the shitpost memewar had already begun. There's still parody sites out there.

Wait, the version with the Seekers of Armageddon is the second draft? :psyduck:

That said, it's not completely accurate to say that there was ever going to be a dub called Ursula's Kiss; that was just a suggestion by Enoki Films, the middleman rights-holders who were trying to sell the TV airing rights internationally.

Leraika posted:

Talk about Wakaba, because she's the best.

Seconded.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

Newspaper club, because I'm curious about what goes in in a place with no named characters involved
Didn't you know that Saionji is also the head of the newspaper club?

That's why we never see a school paper.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

at some point I'm definitely going to need to make some post-game updates about some of the other scenes, although I doubt I'd want to transcribe them all.
You know the whole script is in plain .txt format in the patch folder, right? You've been using it to make your life easier? :ohdear:

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Am I right in guessing you haven't seen the mini-artbook that came with the game? Because it has a much nicer version of this image, along with some... loosely related images.

fake edit: Some light googling has found poor quality scans of them here. Shouldn't be spoilery for either the game or the series - or at least no more spoilery than the intro image is.

The best place for good-quality Utena images is always ohtori.nu.

The Gallery at Empty Movement

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

I mean, in all fairness, I'm pretty sure the creator of the show is a straight dude too, so. (I mean, yes, it's not like Ikuhara is the sole voice and creator of the show, but at the end of the day he had the most say on the final product.)

It's hard to speak with authority about these things, but I wouldn't underestimate Yoji Enokido's individual impact on Utena. (No idea about his orientation, etc.)

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

I don't remember if the show actually shows us any scenes outside of the school. Does it? I dunno, that there's a town next to Ohtori and it has actual name and poo poo is kind of blowing my mind.

Yep, for scenes outside the school, in addition to India, there's the highway and the hotel, and, uh, debatably the bowling alley, at the least.

Although it's certainly not emphasized in any way, it's clear from the very first establishing shots in episode 1 that the school is surrounded by a city of some kind. (Thumbnails link to the Gallery at ohtori.nu)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Incidentally, the fact that B-ko missed the zoo field trip is a reference to their skit from episode 7:

"UTP Translation of Episode 7 posted:

Bko: Good thing I've caught a cold. I was thinkin' an outing's a drag.
Bko: Why should someone my age have to go to a zoo?
Bko: Besides, the animals don't seem willing.
Bko: To begin with, that zoo doesn't have great animals, ya know...
Bko: Doves,
Bko: wolves,
Bko: deer,
Bko: ostriches,
Bko: giraffes...
Bko: They've got to be kiddin'!
Bko: Can't they show any stuff like pandas?
Ako: So, you wanted to go that badly.