Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thanks for this Plutonis, your posts in the South America thread are good. is there any chance that the Supreme Court reinstates Lula or are they just as crooked as the judges in the courts that have convicted him already?

also, evangelicals should not be allowed to vote in any country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Evangelicals should be handed over to the inquisition as heretics.
i'm perfectly ok with outlawing their religion and forcing them to convert to something that doesn't actively wish for the end of the world through supporting bugfuck fascists. i realize that catholic countries aren't immune (poland, italy) but having a sizable evangelical population doesn't help

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

costa rica also had its evangelical presidential candidate last year. he didn't win but he made it to the second round and got over 30% of the vote anyway. and this is in one of the more stable latin american countries

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when can we expect the supreme court decision on Lula?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Whorelord posted:

I swear I remember reading that Ronaldinho was a leader of a far right party now
no, he's just a member of a far-right party

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Actually never mind the supreme court straight up said that Lula isn't running lol. Ha ha.

e: Edited OP to include Haddad
:rip:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i read that there were live wires hanging from the national museum's ceilings and the fire was possibly started by a hanging light falling from the ceiling. this is some infuriating poo poo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Haddad is already being served with court notices
the system works

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Reclines Obesily posted:

apparently there isnt enough time?
not with that attitude

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45579635 posted:

Mr Bolsonaro, who is currently recovering in hospital after being stabbed during a political rally on 6 September, is known for making offensive, off-the-cuff remarks about women, black people and sexual minorities.

Since his stabbing - by an apparently mentally ill man opposed to his political views - he has risen to 28% in opinion polls and is seen as the most likely candidate to dispute a run-off on 28 October.
yeah you're screwed

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

seeing brazilian markets go up over 2% the day after lula was found guilty was the most blatantly disgusting thing i've seen

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's amazing how quickly the title of "worst politics" has been passed around in the last two years. it went from the UK to the US to italy, and now to brazil

i'd ask who gisele bundchen supported but who am i kidding, there's a 100% chance she supported bolsonaro

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hey Plutonis, are you going to take advantage of the coming lax gun laws to protect yourself? because if i were you, i definitely would

punk rebel ecks posted:

Fascism will be the norm given another ten years.
absolutely agree. hungary and turkey have already been mentioned. poland, czech republic, slovenia, austria, and australia are well on their way. germany, netherlands, and sweden aren't there yet, but they should come the next election cycle. canada, france, UK, and US have left-wing movements but i doubt any of them will take hold

world war III will be caused by the narcissism of small differences

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Polidoro posted:

lol what a loving retarded thing to say. the answer to that question is who gives a poo poo.
seems like fair game to me when other posters itt are laughing about neymar's and ronaldinho's fascist beliefs :shrug:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

World War 3 will finally settle the question of who gets to be white.
we're all going to be skeletons after it's done, and skeletons are white as gently caress

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rudy Giuliani is helping a crackdown on crime in the state of Amazonas. absolute shocker

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only acceptable way to die under the tide of creeping fascism is to go out swinging when they come for you. it's not accurate most of the time to say "suicide is the coward's way out," but in this case, it definitely is

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i can't get over that FT blurb. bolsonaro said himself that he's not going to moderate his message for the general election

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i know that high finance and fascism go together like peanut butter and jelly, but the big rises and falls in brazilian markets as a reaction to electoral goings on is sickening. first came the markets going up over 2% when it was confirmed lula was going to jail. then it was a similar jump after polls showed bolsonaro with a comfortable lead. now they took a tumble because bolsonaro said that he had no interest in privatizing Petrobras. finance vultures really, really want to feast on brazil

on the bright side, somebody i follow on instagram living in brazil shared these anti-bolsonaro memes and they made my day

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Well, wouldn't you want to buy energy companies built with public money for pennies? That's the whole reason why the market has gone friendly on Bolsonaro.
hey, i didn't say it doesn't make sense from a finance standpoint. i'm just saying that every time they manipulate the markets, it makes me want to puke because of how brazenly and obviously evil it is

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does Brazil have any irredentist claims to a neighboring country like Uruguay or something that Bolsonaro could decide to annex or is he not that flavor of fascist
the brazilian junta actively supported fascist movements in uruguay and bolivia (with uruguay, they threatened to invade if they elected a government they perceived as leftist), they helped out with the overthrow of allende in chile, and they were the ones that started Operation Condor. so bolsonaro probably isn't going to annex anybody but you'd better believe he'll try and make this a continental movement

it goes without saying that the US encouraged this behavior at every turn, and even made tanks and weapons available to the people who originally overthrew the government to create the junta (they didn't need the offer). so with trump there will be more encouragement

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Oct 12, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nerdz posted:

It's a sort of ignorant racism that they believe is harmless, but of course it isn't. I think it happens in other latin american countries
there was a guy who plays for the houston astros who did this in the world series, on camera. he even played in korea before going stateside

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lmao

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is it accurate to say that the only countries in latin america to not come to some kind of reckoning with their racial background are brazil and the dominican republic?

i say swears online posted:

where's that mspaint mongrel race meme, i haven't seen it in years
is it a 4chan mspaint meme or is it from somewhere else? i don't want to post the wrong one. also the 4chan one is, as you would expect, pretty racist

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i would not be surprised if brazil invaded venezuela with the implied blessing of the US

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

no chance they ban bolsonaro for that. he hasn't outlived his usefulness like temer has

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

drat, that whole "i will be a slave to the constitution" line of bullshit didn't last long, huh?
not even the imprisonment and torture of ryan broderick would make bolsonaro worth it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Evangelical megachurch leader Jair Macedo is using his media empire to try to drag Greenwald and the Intercept and apparently the media companies are trying to get the supreme court to prohibit foreign media companies from releasing stuff in Brazilian Portuguese.

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/20...-the-intercept/
evangelical christianity is just as bad as salafist islam and israeli irredentist judaism

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nerdz posted:

this one is more like a cult than real Evangelical Christianity though. Super weird Messianic thing going on with the leader
religious extremism has a way of warping "real" religion into cults

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

He straight up cosplays as a Rabbi on his 200 million dollar replica of the Solomonic Temple
not even our batshit evangelicals go so far off the deep end that they end up becoming Jewish

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Slutitution posted:

I don't know much about Brazil but it looks like you dumbasses are about to elect a literal fascist just like our dumbasses did up here in 2016 lmao

Hail Satan
trump is an incompetent fascist. bolsonaro seems like a very capable fascist

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Excuse me what
click on the link in that intercept story for a picture. it would be hilarious if Macedo wasn't such a brazen thief. televangelist scammers in the US couldn't even dream of being as rich as he got from taking advantage of people

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ZearothK posted:

It will serve to highlight the hypocrisy of the Fundies supporting him, but I don't think it will do much else.
evangelicals are evil because of how they don't give a poo poo about the piety of a candidate so long as they make good on their promise to shun the heathens and liberals

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when it comes to america there are lots of brazilians in boston and newark, but those are filled with massholes and tony soprano wannabes, respectively

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

normally i'd say that leaving your country on account of the right taking power is cowardly and you're better off fighting them on their own turf, but i'll make an exception for brazil. plutonis and every other brazilian goon, get the gently caress out when/if you can

i dm'd the person on instagram from brazil who shared those fascist barbie memes that i shared itt, saying newark has a large portuguese speaking population (not just brazilian). she says she's gonna think about it, but tonight she's just gonna cry

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

red sampson posted:

most of the twitch people banned me for asking if they had any shame
i'd ask how high the percentage of high-profile brazilian twitch streamers is, but it's probably "way too loving high"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A lot of people are going to be looking for protection from narcos.
considering bolsonaro's fascist law-and-order views, that's probably not gonna end well

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is true for a lot of latin americans living in the United States. A peruvian friend of mine is an extreme Obama loving normie dem, but supported fujimori against humala
from a few pages back, but my friend is originally from peru and he's a bit more to the left as a dem and wants people to run in areas that have been shunned by the state and national party, such as upstate new york. he also loved that fujimori slaughtered a bunch of commies in his native country

this is also something that happens with filipino-americans who support democrats here but love them some duterte

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Grondoth posted:

I mean am I wrong
nope. the obama administration had some degree of influence in the impeachment of dilma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Shining Path didn't exactly do much to earn favor in Peru.
i asked somebody from peru about what he thought of fujimori and he want to really talk about it, but i could tell that it could be summed up as "it's complicated"