Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
just adding some relevant data: police is killing 30% more compared to last year's october

my anecdotal experience here is that yes, the police has always been bad but it really feels like it's getting worse now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

mila kunis posted:

going through brazilian twitter and idk if its a bunch of bots but if not it seems like brazilians are a bunch of *loud honking noise so i dont eat a probe*

I'm seriously convinced that brazilian white people are the worst people in the world

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Plutonis posted:

We need a Pol Pot and with god as my witness if I must take that role I shall accept it without a doubt

I still remember this

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Negrostrike posted:

LOL ffs are you serious? He avoids public appearances because he's too loving incompetent and a coward.

Yeah, Bolsonaro is a very timid dude. This is one of the things that got me about him at first, how can people seriously make strongman memes about him? Compared to the attitude towards Trump it's even understandable.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
jesus christ

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

nerdz posted:

Bolsonaro just removed the retaliatory Visa requirements for the US prior to the meeting

master negotiatior in a gathering of big brains

retaliatory requirements? I thought they were just regular visa requirements, did I miss something?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Magrov posted:

it's not retaliatory, it's reciprocal.

oh I see, Bolsonaro likes framing things in a complete bullshit way like "current gun laws were retaliatory measures the Workers' Party created to punish honest citizens for being hard workers" so I was wondering if there was some of that here.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
but you see that doesn't count because that's totally teachers bribing students, checkmate communists

(this is really the whole rationalization around it)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I think this is the weirdest bit from Bolsonaro yet.

also it's totally impossible unless he overthrows the central bank or something.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Plutonis posted:

E: That being said even if Moro doesn't get hosed the chance that Lula will get a retrial or even be cleared of charges I think are pretty big considering how much of a miscarriage of justice this is.

The whole justice system is clearly biased against PT, it doesn't matter. Everyone will double down with some flimsy excuse, because deep down they feel like they're doing A Good Thing because PT is the cancer etc etc.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

joepinetree posted:

Latest bit of leaks released has a section where the prosecutor talks about coordination with the Americans. There's already plenty of evidence for it, but another sign of us backing of lava jato.

Source? I tried but couldn't find anything about this.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Oh I see, I saw this part but I was so focused on judge Moro being clearly active on the prosecution front that I missed this bit.

The conversations are all :smug: weird :smug: and full of insinuations, it's gonna be material for conspiracy theories for years.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/felipebayan/status/1140391746758746114

sadly, some US progressives I know are buying this bullshit because "it's an attempt to de-stabilize Brazil's anti-corruption crusade"

man those peacock docs are so obviously fake, no one in the press is buying it. it's really only right-wingers memeing this poo poo on the social networks.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
If anything Greenwald's divisive attitude should've given him more credit as an impartial figure in the lava-jato leaks, not the opposite. I mean, one of the most vocal critics of the russian conspiracy narrative actually disclosed a conspiracy in Brazil! :psyduck:

But yeah, I know. Garbage people are garbage people and all...

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

get that OUT of my face posted:

is Glenn gonna translate the other three parts that are only in Portuguese? i want to read them all

https://theintercept.com/2019/06/09/brazil-archive-operation-car-wash/
https://theintercept.com/2019/06/09/brazil-car-wash-prosecutors-workers-party-lula/
https://theintercept.com/2019/06/09/brazil-lula-operation-car-wash-sergio-moro/
https://theintercept.com/2019/06/17/brazil-sergio-moro-lula-operation-car-wash/

translated part 4 was just released a couple of hours ago

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
You know how certain brazilians love Obama, would never vote for Trump but voted for Bolsonaro? I feel like ggreenwald is kinda like that but the opposite. He's a fierce critic of Bolsonaro with a lot of great takes (like he went to this 90 minutos show the other day and made some amazing points) meanwhile in the US he keeps showing up on Tucker Carlson to complain about PC culture going wrong and dumb poo poo like that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

mila kunis posted:

that is absolutely not what he does. the closest to that is he's firmly against deplatforming right wingers on youtube/twitter/whatever on the grounds of being against corporate censorship, which is a take that people can have a reasonable argument about

I feel like he at least implicitly condones this kinda conservative narrative by going on Carlson to smile and agree when Carlson frames the whole "deplatforming right-wingers" as PC culture going wrong. Like yeah, I really want to give Greenwald some credit here but I don't know, being so chummy with Tucker Carlson feels like stepping on very thin ice to me.

But my point was that, in contrast, he's very different here in Brazil. He often goes to right-wingers radio shows like Jovem Pan to actively disagree and debate them. He does not identify himself with them in any way, it's a very different attitude.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the supreme justices are obviously chuds, the result was not a surprise at all. heck, they were actively avoiding it until the last moment.

these people kept Lula in prison during the elections on a flimsy accusation, it'd be insane if they changed their minds now.

Symbolic Butt has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Jun 26, 2019

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

oh I've seen some snarky references to this on twitter but I wasn't sure what people were talking about

I didn't know because the newspapers decided to cover stuff like this instead:

context translation: bolsonaro decided to guide external policy towards 'there are only 2 genders'

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

the weird obsession with greenwald's pullitzer is a hell of a case study for the sociological effects of credentialism

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Paulo Guedes, the finance minister, was reportedly so shaken that he couldn't step on the field.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's incredible, you can't make this poo poo up

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sephyr posted:

This is so absurdly dumb, of course everyone is going to buy it.

it didn't became a thing yet, which would be kind of a suspicious sign if it wasn't so obvious at this point that the bolsonaros are directly dictating the social media reactions of chuds (like take the recent reaction supporting bolsonaro's son as US ambassador). for whatever reason the online bolsonaros didn't act on this yet, even if it fits the right-wing meme narrative so well.

what I'm trying to say is: there's no organic element on how pro-bolsonaro bullshit is spreading out, it's all coming from a very centralized effort.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
btw nobody cared about these terrorists from Veja threatening to kill the president. because the priority for some time now is to keep propping up the idea of putting Glenn Greenwald in prison.

I seriously think it's 50/50 that it'll work.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
https://politica.estadao.com.br/noticias/geral,sergio-moro-edita-portaria-para-deportar-pessoas-perigosas,70002940276

Moro just edited the law to be able to deport people deemed dangerous to the country.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
not sure about the definition of dictatorship but greenwald getting deported or arrested is definitely gonna be a significant step towards authoritarianism.

the bolsonaros have been step by step getting a lot of people "comfortable" with the idea of bringing justice to greenwald for daring to sully the name of our hero judge moro. if they succeed on it (and let's be honest here, the worst actors in right-wing politics have been succeeding for years now from dilma's impeachment to lula's arrest) they'll just get more and more momentum to push further poo poo.

tl;dr: it's pretty bad now and this is a sign things are about to get way worse

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
that's not absolutely evil or anything, no sir.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Negrostrike posted:

Nah that's the other foul offspring

are there any significant differences between them? in my mind they're all merged into the exact same kind of /pol/-shithead person

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
There were a couple of rumours of him dying 2 days ago.

I sincerely admire Ziraldo on a personal level because he's a guy who is super old now but still got the energy to paint a 2m painting of a butt:

:worship:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
he was murdered today btw

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

punk rebel ecks posted:

Then why aren't they winning elections? Who gives a poo poo about Car Wash scandals.

Taking this on a global scale: Why are ultra-nationalists winning elections in a shitton of countries in the last couple of years? It's part of a clear trend...

Local scale: the worker's party was completely mauled, the last worker's party president got impeached* and the most popular party person is in prison**. So yeah, no surprise they have no momentum for winning any elections now (and probably ever again). Also keep in mind that in this last election the total voting population was around the same as the one before, but the number of null/blank/absent votes almost DOUBLED. This totally decided the election in favor of Bolsonaro, the only candidate with some kind of political momentum (even if it originally came from a fringe minority)

*for flimsy reasons
**also for flimsy reasons

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
no

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Bolsonaro seems cornered. I guess being a complete failtard internationally doesn't work well if you're not Trump?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
deltan dallagnol (one of the carwash people) did an interview for BBC and it's really weird. I don't know how to describe it exactly, he's like this crazy incoherent overdefensive mess.

https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/brasil-49450570

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sephyr posted:

Eaaasy now.

On of the court ministers suspended the session until next week. Plenty of time for the thug machine to engage, media to boost fake outrage, generals to pipe in.

Hell, libertarian-fascist agitator group Vem Pra Rua just released the address and phone numbers of the two women justices so they can be harrassed and threatened directly.

I give it 90% odds they empty this decision of any meaning by monday.

As pessimistic as I am, it seems like lava-jato seriously got some cracks lately. The fact that a bunch of odd people (Temer, Aloysio Nunes) are now acknowledging that Dilma's impeachment was a soft coup is pretty significant.

Bolsonaro's popularity is slowly (but steadily) dropping.

It's far from an ideal scenario but it's a first sign in a long time that feels like there's some space for things to get better.

(also considering the current outlook on trump, it would be a pretty significant hit on Bolsonaro I feel)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

get that OUT of my face posted:

am i wrong or has Bolso's popularity been low since shortly after he took office?

he started off with a modestly positive outlook compared to how unpopular Temer was.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
today bolsonaro online supporters* are pushing him to go for a military intervention. just another normal day in brazil.

[*] remember that there's nothing organic about how bolsonaro online support move. bolsonaro's son is always involved on pushing every one of these trending narratives.

edit: https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1184522559678746627

Symbolic Butt has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Oct 16, 2019

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Plutonis posted:

They have been pushing for this poo poo since Dilma's impeachment though, I remember the pro-milico marches from that time.

you say as if this is not a big deal, it's not like this exact crap didn't significantly contribute to bolsonaro's rise and eventually win the elections in the first place.

but alright, it's not that I want to be an alarmist. it's just that, if I learned anything in the last couple of years, we gotta pay attention. these shitheads need to be actively kept in check.

the good news is that bolsonaro's popularity is still falling bit by bit and his party is disintegrating in record time. I don't think the delusional appeal of "back in the dictatorship times things there were better, there were no criminals!" is as attractive as it was before. or so I hope.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Plutonis posted:

Again people were completely ready to accept Reinaldo "invented the term Petralha" Azevedo on the Resistência and now this.

was he accepted really? they just gave him part of the vaza-jato texts in order to further validate the authenticity of the leaks. I thought it was pretty significant, Azevedo turning against lava-jato was not something I'd ever imagine happening.

I feel somewhat the same way about Frota, he is a terrible person but the fact that he was once an ardent supporter and now he shits on bolsonaro is pretty great... "Yes Frota yes, keep doing that... :devil:"

the brazilian left is still very far from winning poo poo, breaking these right-wing figures away from the current administration is a good and pragmatic move now (not necessarily taking these people as allies), it corrodes the symbolic effectiveness of this shitass fascist era we're living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord