Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

cargo cult posted:

why specifically is this worse than trump

Internationally wise Brazil is pretty irrelevant, where the US is very dangerous. But for internal matters we have a military police that's way more violent than the one in US (cases that generate immense amounts of US outrage like freddie gray happen by the dozens a day in here). And now we'll probably have a military president that's willing to give them a license to kill and make cops way harder to prosecute. They'll also be the ones that break up protests so let's not rule out police firing at protests. And if they do that, the people that voted for bolsonaro will actually cheer.

This is not even 5% of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Let me share a funny (and tragic) anecdote:

My friend's mother voted for Bolsonaro. My friend's brother is currently on the run because he's a drug addict and trafficker that tried to steal from his boss, so he's marked for death.

Friend's mother: Now all of these criminals and bums will be killed by the police, we will be safe again

Friend: Mom, you know that they'll kill brother right?

Friend's Mother: Of course not, your brother is small fry, they'll go for the big ones now

And now there's one more face ready to be eaten by leopards.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The constant contradicting statements between Bolsonaro and his VP are super scary. I feel like the VP is being a dumbass like Trump and giving away the game while Bolsonaro is keeping quiet until the election is over

Also bolsonaro got his VP's name wrong twice in one interview while talking about the contradictions

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

do not encourage people to kill themselves, idiots

Reminder that yeah, these depressed posters are in a very bad shape right now and have been harvesting negative energy from political threads for a while. Don't even joke about this poo poo

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

i'm actually kind of impressed with brazil's enthusiasm for fascist rule

like these guys really want them some fascism

It's a mix of depressed turnout (the lowest in 20 years), a strong rejection of the party that was in power for the last 16 years and a full-on crisis in all sectors

but yeah, sadly the biggest reason is that people actually want fascism.

I also see a severe lack of class consciousness at play right now. Two more anecdotes:

- My wife's cousin has gone all in on bolsonaro, especially for his plans on security issues (basically give a license to kill to cops). Plot twist: he's an ex-con.

- I overheard the mailman talking about how happy he is that bolsonaro is getting elected. In Brazil the first thing that comes to mind when you think "poo poo that will get immediately privatized" is the postal service. Not only that, the proposed worker rights changes are hilariously bad (did anyone read about the "carteira de trabalho verde a amarela?")

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

[quote="nerdz" post="488747148"]
a strong rejection of the party that was in power for the last 16 years
Why so?

The biggest reason is self-explanatory: They've been in power for a super long time, and while they had a pretty strong start, they started getting extremely unpopular by the end, especially after the impeachment. They ended up taking the fall for all the corruption that happened in the last 16 years, part of it because they were framed and smeared, part of it because everyone else managed to hide their asses and last because they actually did their fair share of corruption schemes.

They're left wing and the right wing kept on getting pissed off, bolder and more fascist and that's where we are now, much like the US.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My hope is that just like PSL and NOVO overtook PSDB as the new right, some other parties will finally overtake our current left and get rid of all the baggage of PT's legacy. And then they do the same things as PT but in a lot less apologetically and less centrist fashion

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I had this theory that Bolsonaro is trying to create a fox news equivalent out of Record and it's getting less far fetched by the day. I imagine next year whatever news record has will surpass Jornal Nacional in relevance. Globo will probably get the CNN treatment.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

PT was in power for 12 and a half years, not 16. The coup pretty much locked them out, remember that.

I didn't say that they were in power for 16 years, but that they took the fall for the last 16 years, even the last 3 years where they were basically kicked out

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This one is a bit misleading. She worded things very carefully here. She said that bolsonaro "says very unpleasant things" (read:not wrong, just hard truths) and that for the french press anyone who says unpleasant things is extreme-right. She also said that she does not consider him extreme right.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, as hosed as that newstore implies, but even less interest from the authorities to prosecute or investigate.

And even less chance of prosecution if the authorities themselves are the ones committing the crimes

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is coming from the daughter of someone who told a Holocaust survivor that he should have been burned alive by Nazis.

She's not criticizing him at all. If you could read the article you would see that she also wanted to say the things he does and get away with it in france.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

If he is going to try any military adventure, it would be against Venezuela. But only if Trump supports it

edit: people cant get over Roger Waters calling bolsonaro a neofascist

backstory: he was slightly critical of the israel/palestine situation once

back-backstory: Brazilians in general are suuuuuuuper anti semitic so this is lolworthy

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

so Brazil is gonna elect the fascist still right

no doubt about it

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

If he is going to try any military adventure, it would be against Venezuela. But only if Trump supports it

edit: people cant get over Roger Waters calling bolsonaro a neofascist

Lemme add an anecdote about this image: the first time I saw it was posted by the only dude I know in FB that keeps posting Soros conspiracy posts so yeah

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

I never heard anything about jews irl before going to high school

I assume you never watched any sort of comedy shows with jewish characters like Escolinha do professor raimundo then

For most brazilians Samuel Blaustein was their only contact with jewish culture

Brazilians are also extremely racist against asians and I have to scream at my friends and family at times about it

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Don't you have a huge Japanese population though?

Yeah, which means people are racist directly to asian people's faces

It's a sort of ignorant racism that they believe is harmless, but of course it isn't. I think it happens in other latin american countries

there's this japanese wrestler that worked a few years in mexico and his signature pose is opening one of his eyes (probably the most common racist "joke" asians hear, people ask them to open their eyes)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh great, now we'll have a civil war

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had to explain to this Right wing dude I know that was flirting with alt right ideas and being a "western chauvinist" that most of the alt right do not consider Latin America as part of the West. It did gently caress all to change his views but his reaction was funny

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kurnugia posted:

i would actually really like to hear more about right winger reactions when told that most europeans, or whatever they think of as being their urheimat or... what do call north america plus europe? anyway, if youd ask northern nazis the question theyd tell you they do not consider brazilians to be of the same race as them. i really wanna see the look on some brazilian nazi when they find out that they themselves are actually the ones who get the short end of the race hierarchy stick and not their slightly browner neighbour they hate and envy

I've seen some dudes from very segregated villages in the South of Brazil argue that they are not Latino or Latin American since they have a completely European bloodline. They don't understand that they'll still be seen as savages from a shithole country by first world Nazis

also lol that they think they're pure, Brazilians sleep around

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is everything either authoritarian right with Bolsonaro or authoritarian left with Venezuela with people? It's not like there aren't other alternatives.

I'm having a good time (as good as it can be) by arguing with bolsonaro supporters as a Libertarian critical of his authoritarian positions

their brains just bluescreen

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

That's a good one, since their knee jerk reaction is to call all the opposition communists, specially if you are critical of Bolsonaro's statist votes as a representative and his turn-around statement on the privatization of Petrobras.

A few of them also BSoD if you tell them communism only killed "vagabundos" when they do the 100M line.

It's great! Like when they argue with me "who killed more?", I can just say: it's a fact that all of these regimes censored media and infringed on individual liberties. Do you really want to compare tragedies that shouldn't happen in the first place? Authoritarian regimes are awful for the economy. Shouldn't we strive for better than this in 2018? Then they shut up because they actually want a dictatorship where they are the ones doing the oppression and they know it's a bad look, it's always projection.

When they mention economy, I hate arguing on authority but I'm actually a company owner and most of these dudes are workers (some are FEDERAL workers) that want the state dismantled. And they usually know gently caress all about business and what corporate taxes are in reality (and how easy it is to evade them already) so I love to take them out of their element. And that just like in the US, the right must be careful about touching on unpopular stuff if they want to have more than one term before a new and energized left goes after them. They are like a dog who finally caught up to a car: they are absolutely incapable to discuss what comes after the elections. They won't talk about how uncertain the new government is since they don't seem to have a clear ideology and are constantly contradicting themselves. They don't question why NOVO is steering clear of Bolsonaro. Zero arguments about which flavor of right will be dominant. No idea how they'll get support with their small rear end party that's getting almost no support even after a historically strong election showing.

And these are the people I know who don't just forward whatsapp bullshit and were right wing before Bolsonaro, the "saner" ones.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bolsonaro, defender of the environment.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do left wing Brazilians combat "Going further Left will turn Brazil into Venezuela?" Do they just bring up Bolivia and Ecuador as positive examples?

sorry im late, my car totally turned into Venezuela-- im fired??..now YOURE turning me into venezuela?? im gonna eat all these pills and Venezuela myself

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it’s cool how suddenly giving everyone in the world internet access destroyed humanity

It's wild to see the parents that raised you to be a polite, educated, critical person teaching by example just turn into something you don't recognize, watching Whatsapp conspiracy videos at full volume at a hospital waiting room

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That entire article has been pretty much my line of thought on Bolsonaro. He's been softening his rhetoric during the final days of the election, and some of his supporters legitimately believe he will be an economically liberal President. The problem is that those policies are super flawed and guaranteed to fail given our economic situation. Whatever comes after they fail and Bolsonaro becomes unpopular is the real issue here.

On another news: The Portugal consulate in Brazil shut off all nationality request applications. The doors are closing, if you want to get out better start working on it.

nerdz has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Oct 18, 2018

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

a pivot, you say?

I don't believe it for a moment. But if that actually ended up happening and he tried to be a legitimate liberal candidate, it would definitely be short lived. He's been saying several times recently that he wants a democratic, liberal government. But he also signed a letter of the catholic church promising to never legalize drugs or abortion. So yeah, it's kinda easy to see through.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
let me go ahead and quote myself here

nerdz posted:

I had this theory that Bolsonaro is trying to create a fox news equivalent out of Record and it's getting less far fetched by the day. I imagine next year whatever news record has will surpass Jornal Nacional in relevance. Globo will probably get the CNN treatment.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

evangelical christianity is just as bad as salafist islam and israeli irredentist judaism

this one is more like a cult than real Evangelical Christianity though. Super weird Messianic thing going on with the leader

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
his church is all infiltrated in Africa and Portugal, his grift runs deep. maybe even bigger than any American televangelist

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

it must suck being brazilian and only being able to run to loving portugal of all places

They actually shut off all requests for citizenship from brazilians until next year lmao

I was thinking about barcelona, the antifa movement is strong there with reason

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

when it comes to america there are lots of brazilians in boston and newark, but those are filled with massholes and tony soprano wannabes, respectively

GalacticAcid posted:

Also providence, and a modestly sized but definitely viable community in Astoria Queens, and I have heard there’s a lot of Brazilians in Mineola Long Island, tho I haven’t confirmed this

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

also Deerfield Beach, but you'll be in Florida

Why the gently caress would anyone want to hang out with brazilians outside Brazil lmao

They're the worst

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

I wouldn't call Cristas a person wih a serious, reasonable brain.

The best is Publico, which just published that rubish article peace lmao.

We call old people a grey plague and as soon as the tourism bubble break this poo poo hole will become a barren desert so enjoy it while you can

I was in Portugal earlier this year and the amount of old people walking around is just insane

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I work with a nonprofit in the US and we've been discussing the possibility of a work visa for me for a long time, before Trump. Now they're trying to hook me up with some of our european connections to see if I can move there instead because both of our countries are absolute poo poo

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
here's your average Brazilian living in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ6WY5RDdhU

Unless they're there for college or employment, as a rule of thumb they're insufferable. Multiply by ten if they live in Florida with the money they make in Brazil.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

joaquim barbosa says he’s also voting for haddad, so he’s no longer a hero judge or whatever they liked to call him

He had nothing to win by doing this. I hope he stays as a voice of opposition.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

Well it's done. I voted.

yep, let's hope it's not the last time we do that

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yep, sounds like we just won the world cup in here

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
how about a goon project, lets set up the brazilian version of https://www.areyousorryyet.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My dudes I've been trying to leave this place ever since 2016, and I have a company to sponsor my work visa. It's hard as gently caress. Try to have a plan from b-z as well.