Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

FFXI was very much EQ made by Squeenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

kedo posted:

Also I totally forgot Tabula Rasa was even a thing even though I played it. NCSoft sure made a wide and weird array of mmos... who here played Auto Assault besides me? There's another game I totally forgot about until literally this moment.

When you have Lineage money you can afford to have several offerings.

I bought Auto Assault for $5 at Best Buy...several months after it shut down. I think there were a couple other truly dead MMOs/Online game for sale as well. At least AA had a soundtrack CD included and it was fairly decent?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This game turned out to be a scam that doesn't really exist.

AoC does exist and is in alpha though this is the usual feeling about its current state:

Ffycchi posted:

I'm in the NDA pre-alpha....it's....k...... It needs a lot of work. A few more years at an absolute minimum....still closer to being done than star citizen. So it has that going for it.

As for SOLO, if ICR makes a thread for it then I will likely follow. After all these years I will still follow...

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is Daybreak still run by or have strong ties to Russian organized crime?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

What has changed in modern Aion to make Classic so appealing? I played Aion at launch and gave up halfway to level cap as it was just another fairly generic KMMO who's only gimmick was (very) limited flight.

Or is there now a trend of MMO devs/publishers copying WoW again without realizing what works for WoW may not work for their game?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Xun posted:

Wait whaaat?

Certain high ranking members of the TERA team (Bluehole Studio) had come from the canceled Lineage 3 and stole assets, including things like lore and maps, on their way out. NCSoft sued and won the case.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoa6UZ6iM9Q

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Lost Ark is an MMO-ARPG correct? Are the classes race/gender locked?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Hey, Carbot just released a new video relevant to to this discussion.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Idk what thread it was but someone posted a screenshot of a character from Guild Wars 2 decked out with so many particle effects that their character was just a white orb of light with feet and hands poking out. Anyone know what I'm talking about/have the shot?

SA username= Lonk

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I remember the thread laughing when the wildstar devs hated their playerbase so much they buffed bosses mid-fight when it looked people were going to kill their big final boss.

WoW devs just did the same thing apparently.

When players finally did beat the raid one of the devs posted this:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They apparently kill off Salad Jesus in one of the expacs and put you back in the spotlight.

But wasn't he almost immediately replaced with Salad Harley Quinn?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Also, Riot is in trouble with the same agency as Blizzard for mostly the same reasons so laying low is the preferred strategy.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

dreffen posted:

NMS has turned into a wonderful game to play honestly. I still don't regret my day one purchase of that one.

Part of me says to never buy NMS just for how much of a lying rear end the head of the studio was (still is?).

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Also doesn't EQ2 still have poor performance because they coded it around the idea that someday we would have 10GHz CPUs?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

What grindy mmos play well with a controller? I have pinched an arm nerve and am trying to limit my keyboard/mouse time to work hours. I just want something that I can zone out and listen to audio books, but it turns out the only PC arpg with controller support is torchlight 3, which, ugh.

I know ff14 has controller support, and bdo. Are there any others worth knowing?

Skyforge is extremely grindy and works, as well as that game actually functions, with my XBone controller.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

It's like.... a 3D side scroller where you can walk in four directions? I'm not sure what the term would be. I guess it's isometric but from a weird angle.

Is it like a Streets of Rage or Final Fight type brawler?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Wherever Wildstar is, it's forced to play Wildstar.

It levels a character, starts the raid attunement chain and once it gets to the last step the quest bugs out and they are forced to reroll a new character. Repeat for all eternity.

Cupcake.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

My personal main problem with EQ2's graphics was how plasticy everything looked. Like everything, characters/armor included, looked like they were made out of plastic that had been dipped in gloss.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Harrow posted:

Sounds like TERA all over again, which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise.

Doesn't Elyon reuse a bunch of TERA assets?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Harrow posted:

Like I could understand a player being disappointed that if they want to play the Big Strong Fighter with an Axe they absolutely have to be a tank...

This is me! Two-Handed axe wielder in heavy armor while humming DOOM music is how I have played ESO, DDO, Skyrim and Outriders (replace two-handed axe with double-barreled pump shotgun). Not being able to queue as DPS is a bummer :(

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ichabod Tane posted:

I believe Lost Ark has about 8 years worth of content to translate over. So, against my better judgment, I don’t think Amazon can gently caress it up.

Aren't the servers currently on fire?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I have seen people crying about the female costumes/armor being "censored" which is hilarious considering they are still fairly skimpy.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

kedo posted:

If this is true, why have the majority of the murderhobo MMOs released in the past 20 years flopped after a few years? Game studios are notoriously risk averse these days, and 15 years after the release of WoW, most of them are still trying to make WoW because trying anything new or different is dangerous. What's hilarious, is that by continually trying to recreate WoW, all of these studios are guaranteeing their games will flop, but they keep trying it because "that's what the market wants."

The "market" is leaving the genre in droves because other genres are trying new, interesting things. If you think gamers only want violence, how do you explain the popularity of farming or truck driving simulators? I guarantee you if someone released World of Euro Truck Driver tomorrow it would be a smash hit.

MMO players could put their "pissing in a bottle" skills to good use!

Protocol7 posted:

I would love to see what a dungeon equivalent would be like in a trucking MMO, unironically.

Instead of forming a raid group you form a "Freedom Convoy" and instead of a dungeon you head to the nearest seat of government...

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm sure we'll see it again soon enough

You will actually! As Bless Global, a P2E/NFT shitfest!

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

kedo posted:

Man what a poo poo game that turned out to be. And I absolutely, completely forgot I played it.

There are a lot of those lurking in the back of my brain. Who remembers Auto Assault?

My Auto Assault story is they I played the open beta and said "Nope, not purchasing it." Then several months after the game had completely shut down my local Best Buy was selling the Deluxe Edition, or whatever it was called, for four dollars so I bought it for the soundtrack CD.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Pryce posted:

There is absolutely no world in which this ever comes back online.

Maybe it can have a fate worse than death...Gamigo buys it.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Vinestalk posted:

They should make a Highlander mmo, that way a rapid decline in userbase is intrinsically built into the narrative

I think Highlander would naturally lean towards a Battle Royal game. "There can be only one" after all.

an iksar marauder posted:

'why do people hate funcom'

well none of their games are good and all of them turn into abandonware, so it's really hard to say. but it's mostly because they aren't making anarchy online 2, which is the only game they should be making. I hope this explains everything.

I liked The Longest Journey. I played the sequel, Dreamfall, but never got around to Chapters.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

There is a new MMORPG coming out next year called Throne and Liberty. The big problem is that the publisher is NCSoft, so I don't know how I really feel about it. NCSoft is an awful MMO publisher that tends to maintenance mode their MMOs very quickly. Their communication, and support with the playerbase is also terrible. The game though looks amazing.

This game sounds like a disaster that they are shoving out the door just to recoup some of the costs. Development started in 2011-ish as a Lineage sequel using the Guild Wars 2 engine but rebooted a couple of times and now using Unreal Engine 4. I would not be surprised if this launches with several tiers of expensive "Founder's" packages. Hype up the game, get the MMO addicts to buy into it and then abandon the game after a year.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

doomisland posted:

I thought swtor used an off the shelf mmo engine

SWTOR and ESO both use Hero Engine, though I am not sure if they are the same version or are heavily modified.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Funcom's the one with a million currencies in their games, right?

Pretty much any K-MMO?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I think it was that Wildstar raid attunement picture that made me question, for the first time ever, if MMOs are really for me anymore.

I have a chart detailing the whole thing but it is too big (864 x 7304) to be uploaded...and so is the "winner" gif :(

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Weren't GW1 heroes also very good healers at one point?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

I want to suffer. It's why I play mmos

The MMO HMO > MMO CHAT: I want to suffer. It's why I play mmos

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

WoW is doing a fun experiment with Season of Discovery this month where they will cap the level at 25 and make a traditional dungeon into a 10 man raid. Over time, they will increase the cap another 10 levels and continue the process. There will also be runes that give you crazy abilities that can allow a Rogue to tank or a Mage to heal. It just sounds fun.

So Blizz is just ripping off ideas from private servers?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Which game is that?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Kevin Bacon posted:

ill probably buy and play that game even though it looks like dogshit

The MMO HMO > MMO CHAT: I'll probably buy and play that game even though it looks like dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

also SWTOR I think?

Pure Light Side Imperial Agent was the best story. And the best space ship.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Was Aion the one with horrible faction balance due to everyone wanting to play on the evil side versus the good side?

The general thinking is that "hardcore" gamers prefer monstrous/inhuman/evil characters while "casual" players prefer human looking/good ones.