Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
A WoW clone with a proper action combat system has always been my dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

kaffo posted:

So, I was talking to some friends the other day about MMO combat. I'm sure it's been talked about in here somewhere in detail, but what even would be satisfying combat for like 1000+ hours?

Bayonetta.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

please knock Mom! posted:

Tab targeting has its place, badly done action combat is awful

Not to mention the lag

True, but it's 2020 not 2002.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

bewilderment posted:

Guild Wars 2 had a mod that was eventually turned into a proper in-game option with the first expansion to use 'Action Camera' which basically turned the cursor into a center-fixed reticle and auto-targeted whatever was highlighted. Basically making the game play like a third-person shooter.

And it was basically how the game should have released and all MMOs should do that.

And that's the main reason I am playing it, really.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I want a Destiny 2 that's neither a shooter nor an isometric ARPG. There is no such game, is there?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
GW2 sPvP was that the last time I played it..but that was in 2014 so ymmw. The game does not seem to change all that much however.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jazerus posted:

mmo fighting game. raids consist of everyone doing sick combo strings while avoiding the boss's shoryuken

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

An action-rpg style MMO would be rad as hell too but it would never get made. Like Souls-style combat would be so cool in a large scale raid setting with truly imposing bosses.

Yes to both of these.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I'd love to recommend GW2 but sadly it's greatest strength is also it's greatest drawback - limited character power progression. If you like numbers going higher and higher, GW2 will disappoint you - it's just not that kind of game. As for PvE, it does have dungeons but they are role agnostic and not all that fun to do, really. They are launch content that has never been updated. It has raids too and they are actually pretty good - definitely comparable to WoW. But as I mentioned - you don't raid to get better gear, you raid for cosmetics and the fun of it, really.

It's still a great game though and it also does so many things right.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The way FF14 scales you down is less than elegant however. WoW does it much better.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I've actually tried it for a bit recently since they finally released a 64bit client so it doesn't run like absolute dogshit anymore.

However I quickly lost interest.

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 24, 2020

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I quit playing wow in Cataclysm partly because I was getting bored, partly because I got an email from a GM stating that they were renaming one of my alts, because another player petitioned to get the name so they could use it.

They don't do that any more.

Nowadays it's automatic :haw:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

bewilderment posted:

Guild Wars 2 had a great idea where you levelled to 80 reasonably quickly and then you scale everywhere and can use all your skills and 'everywhere is endgame'

Then promptly ruined it by making magic find a stat on gear so you had to grind for gear anyway. You grinded for magic find on gear so you could more efficiently grind for better gear.

Magic find was dumb indeed and has long since been removed but the point of the grinding was never to get gear, it was to get gold.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

kirbysuperstar posted:

Tera's been doing better on console than PC lately, I think.

The console version runs at uncapped 1080p with no vsync even on the enhanced consoles so it's ugly as sin on a 4k TV and screen tears all the time. But I suppose console players don't really mind stuff like that.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Guild Wars 2 might suit you real nice.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Rift did that.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

bewilderment posted:

Also this could all be out of date by now because I haven't played the game since like 2014 but I'm definitely assuming they didn't rewrite the whole game.

Nope, the base game story is indeed just as bad as you remember. It does get much better in the living world story seasons 3 and especially 4, however.

Xun posted:

Is gw2 still locking all the "living story" garbage and most content updates behind the cashshop and then whining that making new armor sets is just too difficult the artists need to spend all their time churning out uncustomizable cash shop stuff every 2 weeks instead

Living story: yes and no - it's free if you log on at least once during the episode (a month or two). After that, yes, you need to purchase the ones you missed.
As for cosmetics: armor sets, no not really, they usualy seem to include a new one you can collect every now and then. However most other cosmetics, especially glider and mount skins are 100% cash shop only, yes.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Xun posted:

the barrage of cashshop lootboxes and only adding the occasional multi month mega grinds (unless you pay real money to skip it!!) really killed my interest. They have such a good fashion system and they just abandoned it?

There is only one type of cash shop loot box (always has been) and I am not aware of any mega grinds you can pay cash to skip. Are you sure you're thinking of the right game?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Xun posted:

the dye set loot boxes, mount skin loot boxes, standard loot box...

Ah I didn't think of those. Yeah fair enough. Altought the mount skins you can buy directly.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Everquest had a dedicated button for...standing?

What?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It looks pretty. As long as the combat is more action than tab-target I am willing to give it a try.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It's true, I have never seen patch notes for an MMO realeased in .pdf :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

MH Knights posted:

What has changed in modern Aion to make Classic so appealing? I played Aion at launch and gave up halfway to level cap as it was just another fairly generic KMMO who's only gimmick was (very) limited flight.

Or is there now a trend of MMO devs/publishers copying WoW again without realizing what works for WoW may not work for their game?

It's this indeed and by far my most favourite was the Rift classic fiasco that lasted for what, 3 months? :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

30.5 Days posted:

Hello I know nothing about this and would like to learn more

https://tagn.wordpress.com/2019/03/30/rift-past-its-prime/

I was wrong, it was up for a year. I honestly thought it was much shorter.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

30.5 Days posted:

What grindy mmos play well with a controller? I have pinched an arm nerve and am trying to limit my keyboard/mouse time to work hours. I just want something that I can zone out and listen to audio books, but it turns out the only PC arpg with controller support is torchlight 3, which, ugh.

I know ff14 has controller support, and bdo. Are there any others worth knowing?

Bless Unleashed (don't laugh).

Native controller support, including UI and everything, and unlike FF14 it is an action MMO with combat actually suited to a controller.

(Disclaimer: I have only tried it briefly yesterday. From what I hear it's not a very good game)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Andoman posted:

If you were to start playing an MMO now what would you recommend?

GW2, wholeheartedly.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

How the hell is Rift still going?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

CuddleCryptid posted:

This was my experience as well leveling up a white mage in FF and a priest in WoW. I like healing but the low level instances (or rather anything that is LFG-eligible up to and including some raids) have players that are so overtuned that you end up doing more DPS than actually healing and it ends up being pretty monotonous. And of course overwold questing as a healer is nightmarish if you are solo.

Not sure about FF14 but in WoW, disc priest might be right up your alley.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I would also recommend giving GW2 a consideration. The game has many issues but most of them only really affecting veteran/'hardcore' players. For a complete newcomer it's a blast.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Tera devs actually made another mmo called Elyos(?). It has like -1 players on Steam or something, apprently.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

kedo posted:

I love good pvp and play tons of competitive, pvp games.

I love good pve and play tons of chill or challenging pve games.

I have yet to play a game that has good good pve, good pvp and gameplay that isn't terrible. I don't pvp a ton in MMOs because WoW-style, tab-targeting, RNG combat just doesn't feel good. It's disconnected and random. If I'm competing against other players I want skill to be the determining factor, not whoever has the most free time to grind special gear, or whoever got three lucky crits in a row.

I have mentioned it before but give GW2 a try. Gear is not a factor at all in PvP.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

I said come in! posted:

LOL it happened AGAIN, Bless Unleashed is shutting down on all platforms its currently on.

I gotta give it props for offering full controller support on PC. However the combat did not feel responsive at all and it was too generic and frankly boring to play.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I guess they are just responding to their player base wishes but that's insane to me.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Not even a year. Is that a new record?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It still does not support controllers though, does it?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

kirbysuperstar posted:

Lost Ark? It supported controllers from day 1, that's entirely how I played it

I tried it shortly after it came out and while you could technically play on a controller, all the interfaces and menus were built around kb+m. If that has changed I'll definitely give it another go.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I wonder where it ended up.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yeah, GW2 is very good, just demands too much time so I had to stop.

:stare:

Are you sure you mean Guild Wars 2?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
How is that game even online still

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Last King posted:

new trailer for that dune mmo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82_jeAj3WA

apparently we're all sleepers that are awakening. the books / movie had just one so this'll be interesting to see thousands of sleepers all muad'dibing around....

Remind's me of STO's ''everybody and their cat is a vice admiral''. Always found that ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

piL posted:

For some reason I had also thought they were responsible for a bunch of shovelware MMOs

I believe that's Cryptic you're thinking of there.