Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DancingShade posted:

My dream MMO is whatever the latest kickstarter scam is.

Ehud posted:

I want to play whatever Brad mcquaid is making because I grew up on Everquest and I don’t like things that are different

well, have I got a game for you! :smug:

i want that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

That's why graal was great. Graal was just a link to the past but online and with custom maps and the zelda stuff filed off enough to not incur nintendo's wrath. You could go and find heart containers and upgrades to power yourself up but you also had a bunch of different items that didn't really do much other than just exist and be neat and you could also just mess around with the map creator and make your own content that you could get put into the game if you went over it with the head of the server.

true that. i always thought that including the map editor and scripting stuff helped that game survive. Neverwinter's persistent worlds were kind of the same way. i've love to see more games crafted around player bases of 100-300 people rather than shooting for thousands or whatever. obviously there are economies of scale that make it hard to do that so whatever.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
maybe to bring things back to the OP: what would you guys like to see that hasn't been done to death?

I've seen some interesting stuff that is, er, "big" but not massive- slither.io, infinite minesweeper, etc. Mostly in the mobile space, and they don't quite fit into the same mold as the "mash-face-on-keyboard, wait for cooldowns, repeat" MMOs that seem to be pervasive today. Still, I'd love to see more stuff like that, but maybe focused on the peecee market. I realize no one is going to be able to eat on a game who has a server population of 500, though.

I really like stuff like Foxhole, Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds, etc. What else could be done in that space?

what do yall think would break MMOs out of the rut?

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 26, 2019

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I was watching Gantz and thinking, you know what would be a cool idea?

What if there was a co-op battle royale game? Not like Apex Legends where you're on a 3-person team against other teams, but what if you dropped like 100 players into a big open area, and then started spawning monsters, and they had a time limit to kill a boss monster somewhere on the map?

You make it so anybody who lives to the end survives to the next round and keeps all their supplies, but if they don't defeat the boss by the time limit everybody dies, and whoever kills the boss personally gets a powerful weapon for the next round.

I like the idea of a 100 person firefight match where you're competing with each other for points and to out-live each other more than directly hunting each other down. Working together to defeat enemies but also intentionally kill-stealing each other for points... I think there's potential there. Streamers would love it.

Its not a proper MMO but I've rambled about what I want from a full MMO ITT before. Just thought that was a fun idea for something they could basically patch into Fortnite or Apex but would play pretty different from the current game. (Maybe you'd have to lower the player counts to like 20-50 if you spawned in a bunch of monsters IDK that'd be fine)

i think this is a cool and good idea

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ossipago posted:

I thought WOW was mostly BOP (for armor/weapons)? If it's BOE then that's a little more interesting.

Didn't EVE have a full time economist on staff at one point? An MMO with no gear drops, only player crafted gear would be novel. Like have rare crafting mats be RNG from raids etc. to feed the gamblers, but actually have someone qualified be monitoring the economy and poking it like the fed changing interest rates or something.

I think mudflation really comes into play here too with games like EQ(at least versions I'm familiar with, like Project 1999) not having a good way to suck money back out of the economy. Essentially you have .. crafting skill grind, some really limited instances of gambling, purchasing supplies like food and drink, and players becoming dormant as the only way currency ever exits the economy. I think a straight up gambling vendor a la Diablo 2 would really help suck some of the fun money out of the economy.

Another topic that may be of interest: Apparently Raph Koster of SWG, UO fame is building a new MMO focused on, apparently, more of the social aspects of his previous games. The announcement stuff happened in October but I don't recall seeing anything here..

Gamasutra article and interview:
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/351629/Raph_Kosters_new_MMO_studio_Playable_Worlds_raises_27_million.php
https://answers.thenextweb.com/s/raph-koster-O48rnG

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel like planetside 1 had a much better balance and didn't turn into a slog as much, but its probably just rose tinted glasses.

I think the vehicle balance was waaaay different in ps1 though, which changed things a lot...

the caves were kinda cool but seemed kinda half-baked, also.

BFRs felt really dumb, to me.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
amazing. i wanna play this poo poo.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i want an mmo with innovative mechanics so badly that i've embarked on an impossible quest to make my own multiplayer game with which to punish my broke brain friends.

i'm sick of every game either assuming that you either have 3 friends at most or is a glorified lobby calling itself an MMO (ahem I mean live service). I feel like at this point, the genre is so utterly busted that going back and trawling up ideas from old muds and browser games is the best way forward. minesweeper.io and tetris 99 are more innovative than most of the miserable hot bar mashers out there.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Biowarfare posted:

what is up with the 3 friends at most thing anyway? or sometimes even 2? sure as gently caress have no friends but there's more than 2 goons at a time

my nintendo 64 had 4 controller ports, so i only ever made 3 friends.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah AC loving ruled. I'm glad my buddy talked me into it for a hot minute. Was so much different than everything else.

wheres the drat project 1999 of AC?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so i think i've asked this before but i would love to hear yall's thoughts on this.

if you were challenged to make a MMO *without* RPG mechanics (because they've been done to death), what would you make? what genres haven't been MMOified yet? what's the essential essence of an MMO anyhow?

i am so goddamn sick of games assuming i have only 3 MAYBE 4 friends. especially games that fancy themselves as e-sports and therefore must include a match-maker, ELO, and no more than 10 or 12 players in the game.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i like the ideas you guy have keep em comin.i'm furiously setting up kickstarters right now. chris roberts aint got poo poo on me.

but for real, good poo poo. i think MMOFPSes have been done a few times, Planetside obv comes to mind. I haven't really thought of Destiny as an MMO but it definitely seems representative of the modern incarnation of the genre.

i think a MMO industry/transport/economic sim could be a thing. i guess that makes me think of something like A Tale in the Desert to some extent, not sure if that's what you meant. likewise, a MMO Farming Sim plays a lot of those same notes in my head. the latest Animal crossing has some thing where people can trade or some poo poo right? I could definitely see that being a whole MMO.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I would play the poo poo out of an espionage MMO but I have no idea how you'd even begin to make one that was satisfying for everyone involved.

99.9% of players don't realize it's an espionage MMO.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it'd be this. Back in the MMO heydey my dream was one with twitch combat and no leveling treadmill. Shadowbane was cool but its biggest weakness was it was still married to having to level and if you were high enough level you'd just clown on newer people as the other poster said.

My MMOFPS dream would be APB as an FPS and also good.

APB was amazing... in concept.

My friend and I role-played blaxsploitation-esque buddy cops. We got a mission to arrest some bad guys, who happened to be players with a KKK-themed van covered in confederate flags and swastikas. We took them out with non-lethal weapons (which were incredibly annoying as I recall, both because they were hard to use and because the person hit by them were stun-locked and humiliated :smuggo:) and arrested them.

I also made bank in beta on selling in-game tshirts with custom logos on them, mostly ripped off of various DC superhero logos. Green Lantern shirts etc.

Fully customizable cars, player apparel, etc was incredible and a huge mistake. I can't believe they had had any pretense of thinking players wouldn't do racist poo poo with it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

And I still wish they would go free to play.

true that.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Honestly I'm surprised I haven't seen any games that use the Discord game bridge API thingy to let Discord do the voice and text chat in various games.

On one hand I'm happy about it because I strongly dislike discord and all proprietary chat protocols (that some people even pay for :psyduck: ) but on the other hand I get that it's absurdly popular.

So I dunno, I kind of see that as where things will ultimately go. I assume Amazon will eventually buy Discord and give it a shotgun wedding with Twitch and convince all online game developers that they need deep integration with both if they want to make the next "Live Service" game or eSport or god forbid MMO.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Mr. Pickles posted:

It was fun, but soon it started feeling like a second job.

That describes SWG for me. I remember coming home and immediately checking my harvester farms. One day I was like... what the gently caress am I doing? and never played again.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
honestly the devs ought to just dump the code out there and let the community finish the game. they basically were trying to get people to pay to be a developer ages ago, anyhow :)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Parkinson's Law: Works expands to fill the time allotted.

Ergo, Star Citizen is going to be the best drat space MMO ever.

Erm, wrong thread.

Replace Star Citizen and "space" with your kickstarter MMO's name and theme of choice.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
heres one for ya, MMO chat. What made runescape so good?

I tried playing once in probably 2001 or 2002, once recently, and nothing clicked.

I seem to recall that one of the defining features of the earlier client was that it was a Java applet web game, and so you could play it at school and other places.

was that a draw for you? or was it something else?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

If there was something like time-locked progression servers for runescape I'd be down for that, it's one of the few early mmos I skipped over.

Hell, I'd be down for a TLP server for pretty much any mmo made in the oughties, especially lotro and maybe even eq2 just out of morbid curiosity.

EQ2 apparently does make "Timelocked Expansion" servers from time to time, judging by the EQ2 thread. I played it at launch, was kinda cool. The "FULL VOICE ACTING FOR EVERYTHING BECAUSE SONY! WE GOT THE WATER SIMULATION FROM TITANIC!" was great. Then literally about 2 weeks later, WoW released and the rest is history, lol.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

SabinBlitz posted:

What the heck is SpaceRift: Arcanum System?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1148480/SPACERIFT_Arcanum_System/

Looks like JumpGate?

looks interesting but damned if I can't find a single ounce of information about it or the studio

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

hot date tonight! posted:

Try either P99 or TAKP, P99 usually has plenty of players to play with at most levels, but the community can be a bit elitist. TAKP has an amazing extremely friendly community but the server is very top heavy and it's a 3-box server, so you'll have to 3box until level 40ish but it's very easy with all the buffs and gear people will throw at you.

Plus one for TAKP. Server is currently in Luclin with PoP testing/development moving along at a steady pace.

You of course don't _have_ to 3-box (personally I hate trying to manage 3) but many people do. Often I see people drop the third box on raids and just duo.

Al'Kabor, and therefore TAKP, had weird broken xp mechanics that actually give you more XP per-person with a group of 4 over a group of 3. So that also serves to encourage people to group. But yeah, top-heavy for sure.

Send /tell to Lorien if you see me on (admittedly somewhat infrequently, I usually only play Fri/Sat) if you need basic levels 1-20 stuff like banded or money for a cheap baz weapon or spells.

also a lot of the QOL stuff around TAKP like the game account manager (being able to look at your inventory, bank etc of your boxes while not in game), spellbook tracker, automagic magelo, etc are really nice additions to the server.

However- the client is _more_ classic than the P99 client. there's no scrollwheel cam etc. So that's a thing that drives people batty :v:

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 14, 2020

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Kaysette posted:

still waiting for eq next

Will they ever make another? Will they try for EQ3 or skip straight to 4?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Xun posted:

What happened with EQNext? I remember a big huge deal about some sort of voxel building system and then....nothing?

Man, wish I knew. I was a $60 into that game and got tired of grinding voxels for new tools. It's actually too bad because I think the community put a ton of effort into building thematic pieces of Neriak and Halas and poo poo before the game collapsed.

I think it all happened right around the time SOE became Daybreak, received "independent investors" (Columbus Nova. Some relation to the Russian oligarchy.. They also donated to Trump around the same time :v:), and John Smedley left the company.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
There's an EQOA emulator slowly moving along. That'd be fun to play some time.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

All part of The Vision

Make Quests Great Again.

Actually yeah that sounds pretty much like all of Brad's projects (RIP).

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Flooded market I would imagine. When torchlight first came out it was basically that or Diablo. Now you can't go six feet without tripping over one of those games, especially licensed ones. Minecraft has one, Warhammer has one for both fantasy and 40k, and so on.

I feel like Path of Exile really took a huge chunk out of the ARPG market by offering a free experience where people pay for cosmetics and inventory space. Grinders friggin' love that game - I've got several friends who've dropped hundreds just for stash tabs for legendary items or whatever. Every time Grinding Gear drops new content or start a new season or whatever, POE sits within the top 10 games on Steam.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

It also made it exceptionally wild to recognize someone on the other side of the world like "oh hey its Legomyeggolas, I did a dungeon with you all the way back in Crushbone, imagine running into you here!"

It also made it really special in the early days to see an unusual race in your leveling area. Immediately after EQ launch, when the world was full of ignorance, I recall seeing some Barbarian in Freeport and being like, "wow!". If you wanted to play with your friends on the other side of the world, you'd be wise to bank your stuff and run the scary as poo poo gauntlet through the Karanas, Highpass, Kithicor, etc.

My dream game would park the newb cities far away from one another, and leave everything in between dangerous, unknown and irritating as hell hehe. I want to blindly run through West Karana at night with a bear chasing my naked rear end!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

The most fun part of APB was disabling a criminal and hearing them go crazy on the mic as you arrested them.

God yes.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

kedo posted:

Agreed, AO had a great community and that's a big reason why I sunk thousands of hours into the game. In fact I was so into it that I applied to be an Advisor of Rubi-Ka (basically an unpaid, volunteer mod) waaaaay back in probably 2004 or so, and spent many hours "helping" newbies in the training areas. If I recall correctly, I sat through a 2-3 hour training session in IRC after which I was released into the wild with a modified game client and account that allowed me to teleport to individual players and follow them around while invisible to see if they looked like they were running into any problems. If they seemed confused, I would pop out of invisibility right in front of them (usually doing a ridiculous emote), and would channel Clippy: "WELCOME TO RUBI-KA, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE HAVING SOME TROUBLE KILLING LEETS, DO YOU NEED ANY ASSISTANCE?!"

90% of people ignored me, 9% asked for money and were immediately annoyed when I said I didn't actually have any to give them (I really didn't!), and 1% asked for help. When I wasn't "helping" newbs, I spent my time chilling in the secret advisor zone chatting with random folks. It was awesome.

Unrelated: are there any modern MMOs out there that have solo content that's actually difficult?

i had a similar experience in EQ. The guide program there gave you a modified client with a special zone (cshome aka Sunset Home), some training on IRC, more training in game, and then they let you loose with progressively more power/responsibility. I got myself kicked out within a couple weeks because I goofed around in Sleeper's Tomb before the zone was finished :v:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Durendal posted:

I’m playing on the Seedsow server. It takes extra setup since it uses modified .dats

Go here https://seedsow.ca to get started.

sounds interesting- what is the server population like?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
well, to be fair FFXI came out 3 years after EQ. I think I played it briefly while waiting for the Planetside beta, and the interface was generally pretty dang clunky. I think it largely came from their roots- EQ has clear genesis in MUDs, just look at all of the chat commands for various important pieces of functionality (/char, /camp, /cast, /autoattack, etc..), whereas FFXI seemed to have directly evolved from the previous console Final Fantasy games, very menu driven etc as I recall.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but again, FFXI was on PS2 and Xbox. The chat driven stuff would be painful on a controller. The menu stuff works well considering they had to come up with a way to play an MMO on a PS2 controller.

Ah! I had forgotten that it was also released on console. Makes sense now. Maybe FFXI is more directly comparable to EQ Online Adventures.

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Didn't EQ have it's updated, much better UI by the time FFXI launched? I could have sworn that was a pre Luclin thing. That UI update was a huge leap forward.

Yes, EQ's UI evolved several times. I think the first significant update was around the time of Velious (2000).

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Biowarfare posted:

I really wish more places would actually have stuff like anomaly detection (eg: are you farming exactly 12 hours a day or something inhuman/24 hours a day? is your gold per hour significantly higher than the playerbase over time? are you entering maps that are inaccessible?) server-side instead of writing the worst possible cheap poo poo code and give the client authority to determine whether it's taken damage or not, and then package in the lowest bidder insecure rootkit with it.

I do wonder how much the server needs to genuinely needs to send to the client and how much of it is lazy/rushed development. EQ for example was pretty notorious for trusting the client quite a bit, as I recall there were various speed hacks (planetside and other SOE games too :v:), plus ShowEQ highlighted just how much info the client was capable of leaking on terms of zone information and so on. I'm sure similar things existed for WoW and others.

Certainly that kind of thing could be limited- I'd love to play an MMO that's been programmed a bit more defensively and not data mined to all hell and back before/if it ever leaves early access. At least then there would be a chance for fun discovery stuff.

There are some hacks that would be harder to avoid, stuff like wallhacks, aimbots, and as you say inhuman automation.

Even still I feel like a lot of these anticheat softwares can be subverted by having a man in the middle proxy mediating the traffic back and forth. rootkit away, jerks :smuggo:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Its true, that would be A solution. If your game exists on Stadia and Stadia ONLY, then you could add all kinds of content and players wouldn't have any way of data mining (unless they hack Stadia somehow)

But that's a pretty brutal tradeoff. I think there's more clever solutions out there that don't require giving up doing any client-side rendering, but they take more work.

yeah, Stadia is essentially the skinniest thin client possible. For a more traditional but more secure game client I'd imagine you would need to have your engine capable of streaming all sorts of assets - essentially you'd need to go halfway toward building another Second Life. You would need to support sending models, animations, textures, audio files etc across the wire, or somehow building them from primitives that you store in the client. But then you may as well go the extra mile and build another Second Life and allow users to upload their own assets. Dicks, dicks everywhere!

Definitely easier to just put the spyware on there.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Roblox has also made great strides in this area.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

milkman dad posted:

Original eq forced full screen and having a 2nd monitor / computer to look up stuff was not as common as it is today.

as I recall you couldn't even alt-tab. it was bad.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

I really liked Tabula Rasa.

EQ chat though, there was a big epic Shaman questline that I remember having to figure out via ingame clues and at one point i killed a mob that was supposed to drop something and it didn't so I just petitioned a GM in game. They show up and I explain and they just give the the item like "I don't know how this quests works but if this is what is supposed to drop here you go."

Relatedly, being a guide in EQ was cool and good. I was briefly a guide and we did a GM event where we terrorized noobs in Oasis, illusioned as alligators. I ran away from the players who almost killed me, zoned into north ro and my true form as a naked human was revealed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Gorgon is cool and good because you can become a cow and players can milk cows.