Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I spent most of the night playing Into the Breach and I think I like it. I got into a few situations where there just wasn’t any way for me to win, which was frustrating, but there were also times that I found a clever solution to the enemy’s plan that came to me only after rigorous analysis, and I like that feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

man nurse posted:

I've platinum'd both of the Shenmue games and I'm finished with Kiwami 2 already. I don't know what to do with my life.

drat dude, I guess I'd recommend getting one.

:smug:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Pinball is very good. I missed a cookout/tournament yesterday at a private collector’s place because I have too much going on at the moment. On pinball maintenance, my understanding is that it’s a little like working on a car: highly self-serviceable with lots of guides available, and while bringing a neglected table back to its old glory could take a while, once you’ve got something that’s been refurbished (or new) there’s not a whole lot of constant fiddling required. The tables need cleaned very rarely, since there’s not a lot of dirt that gets introduced to the system, and having a slight patina is one of those factors that can change how one copy of a table plays differently from someone else’s copy of the table. My haunt has a Metallica table they cleaned up for a stream and after they cleaned the table the ball would just scream around and it started getting a little more English than before.

If you own a table you’ll have to cultivate at least a small amount of technical aptitude, since eventually a servo won’t be as responsive or a ball will start getting routinely stuck somewhere, but I hear a lot of stories about people who knew next to nothing being able to learn almost everything they need from Google.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

re: disc changes, I absolutely agree that for PSX JRPGs they drove the writers to make powerful act breaks, which lead to better games. Having multiple discs was, to my young self, a mark of quality. Of course, it increased the chance that you’d get to the last disc only to find it was unreadable by your pos console.

It makes it a little weird to play through those multi disc games in their remastered forms. There’s a part in FFIX where you go from a dramatic boss fight straight into a daylight scene with light-hearted talk about pickles. You needed that moment spent saving and fishing the next disc out to process the drama before easing into the next act.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Work fuckin' suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks today. Everything is breaking down and it's all stuff the state needs to handle, so I have the great job of taking people's complaints and passing them up while hoping the state deigns to fix the issue and let me know. Just a lot of "Yes, we're aware and we're working on it" for like three separate issues.

In the meantime, I'll relax by listening to a collection of video game music that has been posted in the monthly chat threads. I've been pretty diligent about grabbing everything that's been posted and it's sitting at 388 videos. :justpost: to contribute, best listened to on shuffle.

:toot::siren:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLim8UfVI91wsrMXGGyO-JyqkfQzrAMxkR:siren::toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuFKrrTxO8M

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Phantasium posted:

I've been meaning to tell you, whatever method you're using to add these to the playlist, it occasionally adds a song to it multiple times.

I think it was my iPad crashing the youtube site when I tried to add a song to a playlist. I've fixed the issue and since you brought this to my attention I'll go through and clean up the duplicates. Thanks!

e: Curated the list, down to a scant 353 songs but I think it's still good

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 6, 2018

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Kickmaster (2019)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

There's got to be a movie about Blue Whale in the works, right? It's perfect for a post-Slender Man world. Pretty much just mix Truth or Dare and Unfriended.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Playing the Mega Man 11demo made me wonder if I was ever any good at Mega Man games. I think the Gear system adds just enough to the gameplay without really changing what makes classic, 2d Mega Mans good. I found myself using the time gear a lot more often than the power gear.

codenameFANGIO posted:

UPDATE: instead of Etrian Odyssey I am going to keep playing Mother 3. I got to a part where I was playing a monkey being mistreated (who I named Steve) and it seemed like there was not going to be fighting but I will push through because it was very good before that and Etrian Odyssey is a game you play in bed while a sitcom is on or something

Keep playing and posting about Mother 3

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Rarity posted:

Knew what this was going to be, wasn't disappointed

I was hoping it'd be the Old Sky Man scream from the Big Enough music video.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

i don't have audio at work so i legitimately assumed this was what it was

It's the Tidus laugh, just so you know.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

They're making a new Samurai Shodown game. 2d with 3d models, but the trailer is so stylized that it'd hard to see what gameplay looks like. I'm eager to see what a match looks like, especially if all the gauges and stuff can be turned off.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

Knew what this was going to be before I clicked on it, still cracked up laughing anyways.

the best girl is actually Kawakami

Judge Eyes has me hype as gently caress and I'm thrilled for the new direction they're gonna take the Yakuza 6 engine in. Also here's a trailer for the next Front Mission thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut1cj0nMzbg

Sad to admit that yes, I'm extremely excited to play this.

Give me gameplay! I know it's too much to hope for another tactical RPG and this trailer certainly has an "action game" feel, but I desperately want to be surprised.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

codenameFANGIO posted:

god drat the Sound Battle system in Mother 3 is so loving cool and satisfying. Getting into a battle and timing the hit and bopping your head and tapping your foot and bashing out 16 hits in a row and then the crowd cheering noise ... so loving awesome. Other games should have copied this

Here's a piece I read a while ago that goes in depth on the sound battles with lots of examples from the music and ways the game tries to trip you up: https://danbruno.net/writing/mother3/

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I only trust my fists, clenched around a controller

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I've got a few days coming up where my wife is out of town on a business trip and it'll just be me and my 1 yo. I'm likely to buy a game to fill this time with, but I'm torn between Spider-Man and Dragon Quest XI. I like both franchises, but Spider-Man is the game my coworkers bought and have been talking about, and Dragon Quest is a little light on the web swinging. However, Spider-Man seems like a game I would complete in a few days and never touch again, whereas DQXI could eat up dozens and dozens of hours of my life if it's as good as people keep saying it is.

If only this was a clear Paragon/Renegade choice...

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Good morning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HTv9YUvtno

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

All classes have a role to play in Valkyria games as long as you are not cheesing the maps. Shock Troopers are there to deal with lancers and other shock troopers whilst also providing a lot of incidental fire which is great when you can get the enemy to run past your guns.

True. But cheesing the maps is what gets you A ranks, which gets you a lot of extra EXP and money, so you're still encouraged to throw a defense buff on a Scout and have them rush through enemy lines. I'm sort of replaying VC1 and I'm at the mission I've been dreading: the one where you blow up the bridge. For some reason I remember the stage feeling super long and I think I had to do it twice due to making a mistake and not saving mid-battle. Now I have to do it again and I think this concentration camp is just never going to be liberated.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

What are some short JRPGs?

I don’t mean “short for a JRPG”, I mean like 10-hour JRPGs

This is a good question. I want to say that the early Zyboyd games (Cthulhu Saves the Worlds and Breath of Death VII) are short but I haven't beaten them. You could probably complete a character's story from Live a Live in under 10 hours.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I have a ton of games at my disposal so I don't get invested in MMOs much, but it was your favorite game and then it was going to be taken away from you forever, I can understand getting a little salty about it. There's only a handful of MMOs that really last, and getting invested in one is a risk

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

That pirate has a much more effectively designed gunblade than those SeeD kids.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I’m playing Harmony of Dissonance and I don’t really know why. I’m pumped about playing a Belmont in a Smash and I fixed my Retropie, and Harmony was the one GBA title I skipped. I want to play with a whip but already there’s a bunch of turn offs that have me looking at the rest of my library. I wish my Rondo of Blood ROM worked.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I decided to play Symphony of the Night instead. Hot dog that game is so good.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I need help remembering a game. I’ll try here then take it to the dedicated thread.

It’s a SNES game where you play a white guy infiltrating Dracula’s Castle(?) but it plays more like Prince of Persian or Flashback than Castlevania. To attack you put your fists up in a fighting stance and throw punches. Your life gauge is several tall crystals. The first boss is a werewolf(?). I thought it was just called Dracula, but that doesn’t exist and Brad Stoker’s Dracula is a different game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In celebration of the Capcom Beat em Up pack coming out I played through Battle Circuit. It’s a bizarre game played mostly straight and full of interesting designs, but there’s a lot of the same 4 enemy types through 7 stages. Each character has an unique move list to deal with them, immediately giving the game more variety than most of genre. Still the only game on the market where you can play as, among others, a girl riding an ostrich or a sapient plant creature.

Ceyton posted:

FF7 is video gaming's equivalent of Metallica's Black Album. A massive hit beyond anyone's wildest dreams, but the creators choked on their own success, abandoning the fundamentals to chase another mainstream megahit and never rising above mediocrity thereafter

What does that make Dirge of Cerberus?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

DQXI chat: About how long until I get party members 3 and 4? I like the game but Erik has some strange accent and I'm desperate for another person to speak during cut scenes. I got to the hot spring area last night.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Great to hear. I felt like I was close to getting some new faces, but I was so exhausted last night that I fell asleep exploring the town. I'm grateful that DQXI autosaves because while I have a habit of dozing while I play a game (as a few people who I've been on voice chat with may attest to) I don't like artificially inflating my play clock. So when I rack up a few hours while I catch some Zs I like having the ability to jump back to the last major area transition I went through to get my clock back to a reasonable time.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Featuring a completely normal pronunciation of "orb"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNjxi1-qTE&t=922s

There's some more examples of the voice talent around 5:55

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Really Pants posted:

I like Erik's voice

I'm like 80% cool with it, but I want other voices to do some of the work too.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I hadn’t seen it. :justpost:, mellon

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

GUI posted:

The Chef boss fight introduced me to Celldweller so I'll always be fond of Dead Rising 2 for that reason alone.

What’s Celldweller?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Colonel posted:

i beat mother 1. i can't imagine playing without the easy ring but it's still an extremely ftw game

Is it better than Earthbound?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Arcade games where you can select from multiple characters who have different abilities but don't get the option to switch characters after Continuing belong in a certain place in hell. Like, Metal Slug has no real difference between characters but you know I'm going to cycle between them with every credit. But then you have a game like Strikers 1945 III where ever ship has a different bullet spread, charge attack, and bomb, but once you start you're locked into that ship for the duration.

I'm also not crazy about arcade games like Simpsons and TMNT (I think the og Gauntlet did this too) solely for the fact that, at least on their four-player cabinets, each character has a dedicated spot on the cab. Not only does this mean some characters will always have a bad view of the screen, but it makes emulation harder because those ROMs require extra settings to let Player 1 select their character. Otherwise Player 1 will always be Marge, or Mikey, or whatever. Fine games but certainly not without flaws.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Re: Hollow Knight's challenge areas. In cruel twist of fate, the item you get for completing the buzz saw area is very helpful for getting past buzz saw areas. This is good when going into the optional, super hard buzz saw area but only if you haven't exchanged that item for something else.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It makes perfect sense to give Dante a motorcycle that turns into two chainsaws.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I tried playing Gaiapolis last night but that game must be a technical powerhouse because it ran at about 5 fps when 95% of the rest of my library runs just fine.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

hey remember gunbound

Yeah, I played a lot of Gunbound back in the day. I like that kind of Scorched Earth-type of gameplay. There was a pseudo-3d version of Scorched Earth that I remember playing but I've never been able to find it again. It has simple tanks on a rotatable disk, and you could set up your loadout before each match by purchasing different types of ammo. I think it was freeware but my occasional searches only pull up big, gaudy 3d versions of Scorched Earth and not my sleek, simplified one.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Yeah, I believe that. I want to make a Scorched Earth clone with an ATB system like Grandia, put it on mobile, and make a million bucks.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqmxZyV9VCU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2G7i38V6ko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yNe_2pvELU

VideoGames posted:

If you search and cannot find a thread about a Game you wish to talk about then please make one! :D

What happened to your Kirby avatars?

e: Jesus those are some thumbnails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

al-azad posted:

Also if you're using mame you might need to try different version. They mess around with the emulator a lot, sometimes games will become more stable and sometimes they'll cut them out completely. I'm still using .139 because some game I can't remember (and probably isn't worth playing) breaks beyond that.

Yeah, I figure it's some configuration that I need to fiddle with but I didn't really dig into the settings. I use a Retropie and it has a few emulators for me to choose from, but instead of testing out what worked best I just jumped over to Bucky O'Hare to give that a whirl. I'll give it another crack tonight.

• Locked thread