Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

they shoulda worked on some stuff after katrina to stop this from happening again imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blaise330 posted:

This hurricane got like 0 hype. Even while it was hitting New Orleans it was like the 7th story on yahoo news.

what kinda of ratings do you expect for a re-run?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

I think human suffering sucks

yeah, gently caress the demiurge i hate that bitch

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MadJackal posted:

If you contrarians don’t want to acknowledge that Trumpists are getting wilder and more openly threatening, just because I said it, go right ahead.

But don’t worry, I got a haircut Saturday wearing a mask in a fully vaxed and masked salon, so I’m probably already dead.

everyone posting in C-SPAM is a contrarian, that's what the C stands for

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

1. dig out a wide tunnel underneath the island
2. run a giant inflatable raft through the length of the tunnel
3. inflate

boom, no more flooding

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

A buddy in the Bronx barely got out alive last night. Basement apartment but not in a really low area. Around midnight water rushed in and rapidly filled his place. He only had time to grab his cat and get out. By the time he got out, the water was at his chest. He lost literally everything except his cat and his phone.

It's okay I've seen this movie before - he's about to get another basement apartment in a really nice neighborhood real soon

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

just put a jack under florida and lift it up

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

yippeekiyaymf posted:

I truly do not understand the mindset of people that decide to “hunker down and ride it out”.

I get some can’t evacuate on their own - elderly, etc but help and services are available.

the dipshits that call to be saved at the “oh poo poo it’s happening” moment are just idiotic fuckwits and drain services. And the ones that involve pets and kids in their stupidity are the lowest.

I completely understand what you're saying. I think it's truly one of those things where the scope of the problem is so big that the mind just refuses to process it.

"You need to leave now, because not only is your home and everything in it going to be destroyed, but so is every place you go on a daily basis. Your work, your friends and family, whatever you do for fun, it's just going to be swallowed up by the sky and regurgitated out into a watery grave."

Of course, having seen it happen like three times in my lifetime... If I was in their shoes, I might start listening!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Normalcy bias is real, it's a hell of a thing, and it's deadly serious (in more ways than one)

That said a lot of people are just belligerent assholes with oppositional-defiant disorder as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk3uBVYUBn4

"I ain't afraid of no rolly-coaster!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Substantial structural damage sustained.USA! USA! USA!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Free bike!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

if Climate Change kills every part of the planet but turns the American South into the Garden of Eden, I will honestly be so annoyed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The actual single best thing you can do to prepare for tough times is be friends with your neighbors.

and, buy screws

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tuyop posted:

he’s saying it

they're quoting the show

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

they have to see if the loads were too much to be exposed to

One time during a meeting one of our really old HVAC guys who has since retired was talking about a backup generator and he kept saying "massive loads", "this thing is gonna need to be able to handle a really massive load" I was loving dying

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buffal-update: everyone is very much hoping to not have to go to work tomorrow. i'm gonna buy some beer and stuff to make chili tonight.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buffal-update: my left windshield wiper's blade has started to come off and do that limp noodle thing where it just flops around on your windshield. pray for me this weekend.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I like it here

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

go for a stroll posted:

i'll be fine in north buffalo. i definitely won't regret having like 1.5 days of food in the house

feeling very called out rn

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Detroits not on Lake Erie

come on now. it's close enough

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buffalupdate: honestly not that bad so far it looks like we got maybe 3 or 4 inches. It stopped snowing around midnight last night. We also got some very intense thunder snow for a short period lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buffalupdate: all of the snow is melted now lol (at least in Buffalo proper)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

goochtit posted:

wtf that was fast

Buffalo itself only got like 18" and there's still probably snow in the southtowns but yeah, the city went from looking like a winter wonderland to being completely covered in mud in the last week.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Depends on the size of the tire. Truck tires are $1,200.

paying $5000 for 6 new tires on my 4x4 RAM 3500 so it can drive in the snow

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Please pray for me and all other Buffagoons getting punched by God tomorrow

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

poo poo i'm at work and i'm already in christmastime mindset and have been for a week

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

goon activity primarily takes place indoors. why do they care more about the weather than normal people, whose only exposure to weather knowledge comes from their memory of the weatherman’s broad shoulders?

this weather has the potential to bring down powerlines and freeze pipes, making indoors significantly more like the outdoors

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

My mustache froze when I ran out to the car to grab what turned out to be a rock hard granola bar

Hey wait a minute doesn't this mean "gently caress off" in Wisconsin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jm4LoOaAWI

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Well I certainly wish I had ear muffs

oh take off, ya hosehead

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RIP Charles McGill

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

This wind is wild. I opened my front door to walk my dog this morning and it sounded like a jet flying 8 feet overhead

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

It's just bomb cyclone season

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buffalupdate: lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

My friend from Cheektowaga told me they're not responding to emergency calls anymore

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Snow big deal

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

It's fine you just shovel the snow

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

another good trick is to knock on wood every time you say "i can't believe the power hasn't gone out yet" so that the power stays on

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

no sincerely tho I've lived in wny all my life and these last few days have been some crazy rear end weather. Granted this is the closest I've lived to the Niagara River/Lake Erie during that time, but I've never seen basically non-stop snow and wind for two days like that before.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the real trick is to get the salt circler as soon as it unlocks after the first night of the storm so your whole base just has that protection going forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

yah it's almost as if that was a flippant comment made in jest