Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Weathernarök

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can only imagine the one or two people left in the West Wing with some human decency left who saw those tweets and just started screaming.

Poor cleaners. Lost their jobs for uncontrollable screaming. :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zarin posted:

Oh wow, yeah.

That's terrible :(

Edit: Wait, what? I figured it'd be almost entirely fine silica particles and not particularly useful for anything, that's wild as hell

I know this is from a month ago, but it’s on the same page so whatever.

The Sahara has phosphate minerals. Morocco mines a shitload of them, including via the world’s longest conveyor belt system from Bou Craa to the sea near Laayoune.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dr_rat posted:

No matter how many wings you attach, pretty sure that house ain't getting airborne.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hmm there seems to be a bit of fire activity in the Golden State.

Look at the length of that scroll bar.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 09:48 on Aug 20, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

a couple of spots kinda look like they're running out of fuel so thats good i guess

The forest has achieved herd immunity! :smugdon:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Epic High Five posted:

these two will be interesting because it will be an inverse of the norm where people ignore the Liddl' Marco hurricane because Marco Rubio is so meek and pathetic, but are terrified of the Laura Loomer one because she is a nightmare creature from the hell dimension. Florida never fails to provide!

Marco studied the blade (of Chang).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wildfire isn’t going to frontally assault major cities.

It is going to nibble around the edges and pick off some minor cities.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Third World Reagan posted:

after it loses its food source of minor cities it can only come after the large ones

Nah because by then the cities will have achieved herd immunity. :911:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump could always nuke them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vox Nihili posted:

Unless the home is literally in the middle of a major forest surrounded by trees on all sides it's not terribly difficult to harden it against wildfires, but everyone who owns these houses is too old, lazy, and entitled to make even the barest efforts. When at-risk counties try to put in place common sense regulations regarding landscaping and fire prevention the boomers lose their goddamn minds and show up to pitch an enormous fit about their favorite dying oak tree with branches overhanging their roof.

It’s also like the pandemic in that yes a mask helps you, but if the community around you is flagrantly unsafe, there are limits to how much a person can protect themselves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
smh kids today don’t remember category 3 and category 5 cables

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagine if you lost power till after the election.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Netherlanders look at Lake Pontchartrain and think “it’s free real estate.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s unfair.

The also committed genocide in the Banda Islands so they would have a monopoly on nutmeg and clove.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

smug jeebus posted:

I'm no expert but this feels like a bad place to build a city

It seemed like a less bad place before the soil dried and oxidised and shrunk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m speculating here, but I think any organic material would handle the bleach better than the microbes.

Metal objects, including electrical equipment, may fare worse with the bleach. Fungus isn’t a threat, they may be fine after cleaning and drying, but bleach will corrode them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

coke posted:

you can also replace things easier than fixing your own health when you inhale a bunch of spores and other terrible stuff

Hmm true.

But who isn’t packing particulate respirators these days?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vesi posted:

that's nothing check out atsani

GET STICK BUGGED LOL

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone found a magic lamp in the Mayan ruins.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lago Carlos

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well we know their datatype now.

It’s a signed sixteen‐bit integer holding tenths of degrees and rounded for display.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Negative fifteen hundred Kelvin would be hotter than any positive temperature.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What even is the loving point of government if it isn't to do all the things we as individuals cannot and to serve the common weal?

Owning the libs on Facebook.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tezer posted:

Another solution would be to install a drain/shutoff so you can drain the area of the pipe in the exterior of the wall back to a utility space before severe weather events. Of course, I don't know your home, this might be easier said than done.

I would be a bit nervous about sticking resistance heating elements in a wall where I can't see them/monitor them. I'm super risk adverse though.

There’s a pretty large margin between the temperature required to prevent freezing and the autoignition temperature of building materials.

Don’t do something like curling the wire up and stuffing it in your newspaper‐insulated wall cavity, but when properly installed, heat wire is less hazardous than the wires already in your walls.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Syncopated posted:

Could some engineer or whatever explain why power demand being higher than the supply breaks all the transmission stuff? Like I think I understand why it would take a long time to get everything going because you have to have equal amounts of power going in and out but I don't get the catastrophic failures happening before that.

When demand increases, frequency drops. This is a natural response to loading the spinning generators more heavily.

Normally, the drop is very small and it is fairly accurately forecast. Power plants are throttled up or brought online to counter it. If this does not happen, frequency just continues to drop as demand grows.

The major problem with this dropping frequency is that the electrical and mechanical parts of generators are designed to operate at the sixty hertz. If a turbine does fewer revolutions per minute but is expected to put out the same power, it has to be under more torque. If a transformer operates at a lower frequency, its core saturates and overheats at lower currents.

These devices trip offline to protect themselves. This further increases the gulf between demand and generation, and soon everything trips offline in a cascading failure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VectorSigma posted:

i agree with the extended season though. hurricane populations are getting out of control and human activity has removed their natural predators.

We’re loaded for shear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

I feel stupid as hell for asking this but is that celcius or fahrenheit?

Kilohogsheads per hectare

(to within seven percent)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real hurthling! posted:

what are the hotspots if you go to them in real life? are they like local news offices and government buildings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86d98k6TPNk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“high gen outages” a.k.a. “what Enron did”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SirPablo posted:

80-90% of wildfires are human caused. The only way nature gets them going is lightning.

Unless…

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Hurricane Elsa coming in as an absolute wrecker of a Cat5 and scouring many homes such that the entire Elsa fandom of the eastern seaboard is destroyed as people can't bring themselves to say, "Elsa" any more due to the 4,000 deaths would be darkly humorous.

I was thinking of which letters in the alphabet were least likely to be given to monster storms based on season progression, and then I remembered Hurricane Andrew.

Formed: August 16, 1992

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GFS has chilled a bit. It’s still really hot, but it’s no longer impossibly hot.

Red Bluff, between the two “115” markers in the north valley, measured one hundred and seventeen degrees on 26 June 2006.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FlamingLiberal posted:

You usually have to go to somewhere like Las Vegas

Yeah all the water that Florida has going on limits the absolute temperature. The highest it’s hit is one hundred and nine in the panhandle.

The state with the lowest high temperature record isn’t Alaska. It’s Hawai‘i. Never been warmer than ninety‐eight degrees.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

actionjackson posted:

I mean, those models did show like 128 in the north central CA valley which is not happening

Yeah that approaches the physical limit of what’s possible anywhere on the planet.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 10:30 on Jun 28, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grundulum posted:

I dunno about physically possible. Desert rocks that are dark colored and in extremely insolated areas can act as pretty dang effective absorbers of heat. This report would probably earn a 0 reliability score from that WUnderground author, but a satellite measurement of The Flaming Mountains in China may have detected a ground temperature above 66*C.

Ground temperature is not air temperature. If we’re playing this game, I choose Erta Ale, Ethiopia.

I agree that hotter temperatures are attainable now than were in the twentieth century, but some place that has never been a contender for the absolute temperature record isn’t going to come within half of a degree of it today.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Not the kind of burning typically associated with Salem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tiberion02 posted:

The 21st century has only one guiding principal:

"Number go up, lmao"

It’s appropriate.

The precious century ended with anticipation and relief that a number was capable of going up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/wsdot_traffic/status/1409641786801197072

https://twitter.com/wsdot_traffic/status/1409649965320654850

https://twitter.com/wsdot_traffic/status/1409656552567435267