Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This was yesterday and the director or whatever said that it was caused by terrorist and today they mentioned it was actually a tree

Possibly not contradictory statements :ohdear:

(I support our new tree overloads)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Egg Moron posted:

being ragged or disorganized this morning.

Finally a storm I can relate to! :v:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

No matter how many wings you attach, pretty sure that house ain't getting airborne.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh no, not the sky scrapes, anything but the skyscrapers :geno:

(unless their like apartments, in which case, legitimately oh no.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Why don't they just make the whole house out of storm doors!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redleader posted:

sewage drips from holes in your floor into the sewage pit, which is occasionally suctioned out by the municipal sewage sucker men

I belive you'll find that they prefer to go by the name Gong Farmer.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Luneshot posted:

Would it work for a fast-moving wildfire? I would think for a large body of water (pond-sized or bigger) there'd be enough thermal mass in the water to keep you cool and it wouldn't heat up much. Smoke inhalation...yeah you're kinda hosed there.

Nah the radiant heat can still very easily get you. Best advice is to avoid unless there is literally nothing else.

CFA posted:

CFS bushfire safety project manager Peta O’Donohue said seeking refuge in water — such as a swimming pool or dam — should only be considered as an absolute last resort when people are unable to get to a solid structure.

“If you are to go into water, whether a pool, dam or the sea, you risk not only a lack of oxygen due to smoke and intensity of the air temperature, but also exposure to deadly radiant heat,” she said.

...People in Ash Wednesday were being killed by radiant impact from 20m away, so radiant impact is a pretty significant thing for people to think about.

....“Sheltering in a building is the best place for anybody to be in a bushfire because buildings are very solid structures generally and they intercept a lot of radiant heat.”.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...0019ce7a237fe65

(the CFA is the Country Fire Authority in Australia and are well up on anything related to bushfire safety).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

This is really not a thing that should keep happening.

(and by that I mean gender revival parties starting wildfires by using smoke grenades and just gender revival parties themselves to be honest.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I stand by my auto-correct mistake. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Hurricane Laura was caused by a gender reveal party in Senegal

I take it, it was the standard Hurricane if it's a girl, Cyclone if it's a boy deal?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hey, maybe they had one of those necklace collar bombs that explode if they leave a certain location. We don't know there situations, we can't judge those brain dead idiots!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

The best way to survive a fire is run the gently caress away before it can trap you.

I mean yeah, but a firetruck designed to survive burn-overs can work pretty well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxG1sUxR_6c

....you do all have your own firetruck right?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

actionjackson posted:

i'm the little forklift on fire at the end

Yeah, that was oddly adorable. It just went off by itself and decided to have it's own little fire. :unsmith:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

if they all max out and combine, we will see the first ever Category 25 hurricane

You see this is why should start naming them after words not names, then as going into the future we got more combined hurricane it can create sentence!

I mean if worlds going to hell might as well at least have some fun with it...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Update from tomorrow...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wait what the hell was happening in the Mediterranean sea in 1996?

in particular early October. Usually years between, then suddenly two within a few days of each other.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Haha loving incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

This is only because Gamma is gonna spend a week or two secretly charging up before unleashing its full power in the first ever Cat 6, mark my words

Gammas going to spend a week or two secretly going round and round in loops in the middle of the Atlantic, then get really dizzy and fall down, mark my words!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Wow, Poseidon is pissed that that lake Charles dome is back up

Look I know nothing about the lake Charles dome, but you know maybe Poseidon has his reasons.

Who are we to argue with so old geriatric boomer god?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lived in Albay for a year. Really hoping all my mates from there are okay.

Like they're all used to a getting through a poo poo load of typhoons, but yeah this beast seems a bit different.

:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just talking to my mates who live in Albay. Apparently really bad lahar/volcanic mudflows from Mt Mayon (often a big issue when typhoons hit Bicol. Mass damage, electricity mostly out cells coverage is spot. lots of flooding. Things not great.

:(

Managed to contact most of my mates, who are okay. Although one lost their house. :(

If anyone can give to area please do. That dude who posted in the thread early who actually lives around there would probably know what charity to give to that you know would actually help the area!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Go home Eta ya drunk.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TehSaurus posted:

Sounds like global warming is cancelled!

But global warming is so popular and I really wanted to see where it was going to go in season 2. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

At least when NHC gives hurricane forecasts they've had lots of experience in delivering communications about a very specific kind of threat. Not sure NWS Seattle is used to having to bring out carefully measured words for a heat event.

NWS Seattle posted:

"Hey, hey, everyone, check this amazing weird poo poo out. Like haha poo poo were all totally hosed aren't we. LOL"
:kingsley:
:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

sent from an iphone

dr_rat has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Jun 29, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

you can alway put more clothes on but there’s a limit to what you can take off

that said you can die of exposure in surprisingly mild conditions if what you have is inappropriate. still, you can probably more easily get a bivy and or sleeping bag rated to extremely low temperatures but you’re kinda hosed I’d it gets too hot without active cooling

Yeah if your not prepared cold weather, in places people actually live, (sometimes going down to -45C and lower) I think would kill you a lot quicker than warm places where people actually live (sometimes getting up to 45C temperatures and above). Lots of different factors though. Lower temperatures with no humidity and literally no wind are going to sap your body temperature much, much slower then if your laying on top of a pile of snow in -45C with gale force wind. Same with heat. 45C in the shade with a lot of wind, no humidity and a lot of water most people will be completly fine. Been in that situation myself quite a few times and honestly I find it pretty pleasant. 45C, high humidity, no water, walking about in direct sunlight though, yeah most people would need medical attention quite quickly. Still I think most people would do so much better in a 45C desert in street clothes then a -45C blizzard.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

I don't think the top sign on that pole is 52 years old.

Of course that poles 52 years old, and it will last centuries more.

They just really knew how to put in a pole deep to last back then. :colbert:

(The mutant deer that will rule the world in times future, shall come to worship the leafless tree who's top disappears into the clouds.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Red Baron posted:

poles grow out of the ground just like trees you dumb libs

I will not hear such slanderous blaspheme against earth future god! :argh:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Surely there has to be another solution to "at current levels of resource use we can only sustain this level of agricultural production for a few more decades at most" besides trying to kill as many brown people as possible and prevent them from reproducing further
like stopping the thing where we massively overproduce food and throw a quarter of it in the garbage, or using less fossil fuel generally, or trying not to convert all the earth's biomass into cows, etc but I guess that's not the system we live in

I mean yeah. The basics of 'we don't have limitless resources' and 'don't relay on science to magic up more', is all pretty solid, it's just everything after that where it gets really iffy. The world has well enough food for the population at the moment and there are plenty of people around the world not getting nearly enough. Proper resource distribution and looking at ways to limit excessive resource use and should be fundamental to any plan on how to tackle issues around upcomming climate change related food/water issues.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Daily rainfall records are obviously called that as you are naturally supposed to break them daily. Nothing to worry about.

Just going to nip over to the shops and buy an ark. ...um, something I also normally, just every day do.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh I hope that water isn't running to late to catch it's train :ohdear:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
People starting to resort to boat follitlla to survive oncome climate change driven natural disasters?

Dear god, we're living through a waterworld prequel.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Platystemon posted:

:wrong:
Some molecules of water happen to gain high velocity from collisions in the exosphere and gently caress off into space. Three hundred grams are lost that way every second, or enough to drop the level of the oceans by a quarter the diameter of a human hair in one million years.

Well I for one am against that no good space from stealing all those precious, precious hundreds of grams of water per second. If it takes building a giant glass sphere around the entrity of the globe to keep every drop of water on earth where it belongs, by glum we should do it! :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Frances Nurples posted:

why is richmond flooding now?

Somewhere needs to be flooding, Richmond is as good a place as any.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

But I mean if it gets to bad, we won't have to experience for long!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Helith posted:

(looking at you Eucalypts)
Eucalypts are :black101: as hell. "Just going to burn down my town so my kids can reign in the ashed wastelands after."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-science-of-bushfires-is-settled-part-2- posted:

"In fact, natural selection has seemingly led to eucalypts actively cultivating fire because they now have very waxy, oily flammable leaves, which they are constantly shedding to accumulate beds of fire-fuelling litter at their base, and peeling bark that flies through the air as lit tapers to start new fires many kilometres ahead. The Blue Mountains west of Sydney are so-named because the oil in the eucalypts along the mountain range is constantly evaporating and creating a blue haze.

Eucalypts are essentially fire-fuelling incinerators that generate so much heat when they catch fire that when one burns its radiant heat evaporates the oils in the neighbouring eucalypts creating a flammable gas which ignites as a fireball, and so the crowns of the trees explode with fire one after the other, triggering a ‘crown fire’—a wave of exploding eucalypt canopies that race through the Australian bush like a tornado.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Judakel posted:

isn't oman oil rich?

Not now all their cars have fled the country with it all. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Typhoons are only in the Asian part of the pacific

it’s a hurricane if it’s east of Hawaii

Is Hawaii the line? Like could a Typhoon and Hurricane meet in the middle of a Hawaii Ladyhawk style, and fall in love.. or you know, just bang trashly?

Need to know quick, got a Tingle'esq erotica to write!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looks like at the equator on the international dateline you could have a typhoon, hurricane and cyclone all meet.

But the Hurricane and cyclone could never touch. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redleader posted:

what are you supposed to do in a tornado if you don't have a basement?

straddle your roof and just wizard of oz/dr stangelove that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

Tornadoes are heckling cool rear end weather and scare the absolute poo poo out of me.

Remember they're more scared of you then you are of them. Just make yourself big, make a lot of noise and they should run away.