Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

figures all the wet side oregon forests are burning down right when i get to move back in 3 weeks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

SKULL.GIF posted:

so exactly how much CO2 are these wildfires giving off and how do they compare to one individual person trying their best to reduce their individual consumption

these trees are part of the zero-sum carbon cycle. human consumption is releasing fossil fuel CO2 that was locked away from the carbon cycle.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

the oregonian says 1 million acres have burned. that's the size of a square that extends from mount jefferson to south sister and west to vida!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I was so happy when the hurricane with my name was retired

how MANY people did you kill!?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i’ve been in a few willamette valley thunderstorms. they’ve occurred when the winds are backwards and a storm system with energy rotates down the western slope of the cascades. the cold ocean is the storm killer. looks like this system came from the south.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

yikes, surprise Portugal sub-TS Alpha beat Depression 22 to the name.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There have been reports of cattle deaths in the wake of Laura dying of being overly drained of blood by an explosion in the *biting* kinds of mosquitoes.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I thought that was less "vampiric mosquitos sucking things to death" and more "prey animals will literally exhaust themselves to death trying to run away from a precieved threat and clouds of mosquitos are apparently irritating enough to trigger that"

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/profiles/rbogren/articles/page1599664054105
The swarms of the insects drain blood from livestock, and the animals keep moving to ward off mosquitoes and become exhausted. “They can’t get enough oxygen,” Fontenot said.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

DO NOT USE THIS MAP

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's a stupid, naive platitude. If we kill all the species and make vast swaths of the globe uninhabitable then we have killed the planet for humans. Who gives a poo poo about the fungus on the rocks five million years from now? I certainly do not.

a lichenologist would since they are critical for creating soil from the barren rocks likely to be in overabundance after humans have had their fun.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

eta is in the works

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

here's the lava fire after i went for a run on shasta on monday.

https://imgur.com/Wz9mKBB

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

The Bootleg fire in Oregon is currently the largest in the country and this was a fun description:

Check out this incredible sunset photo from earlier tonight of the #BootlegFire burning in Klamath and Lake Counties. Fire behavior this afternoon and evening was easily the MOST extreme yet for this wildfire. The fire produced this huge pyrocumulonimbus cloud that shot over 40,000 feet into the sky. The National Weather Service recorded that this cloud did produce one in-cloud lightning strike around 8 PM. There's also been clear rotation seen from radar in this pyrocumulonimbus cloud. That also signifies extreme fire behavior and even some possible fire whirls (fire tornadoes).

The Bootleg Fire is still producing some very extreme fire behavior tonight. There is concern that as fire activity wanes overnight, the column could collapse and create strong winds at the surface. This collapse of the fire column can put fire crews in great danger. We'll be watching this wildfire closely overnight. I'm quite scared to see the update on acreage in the morning. This fire has likely grown significantly. The question will be did it burn more than the ~50,000 acres in a day that was posted from Monday into Tuesday. Tune into our future newscasts for updates on this fire, fire weather conditions and your smoke forecast.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Did you take that? It's stunning.

Nah, but I did breathe in that smoke when I was on Mount Ashland this weekend.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

if dumbfucks already don’t believe in climate change (or science), would the chance of misattributing a weather event really make it any worse?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That doesn't look like that road is going to be back in service for quite a while

yeah, bummer. i live nearby and that was my easiest way into the park. a lot of bighorn sheep right there.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

mawarannahr posted:

i hope it bounces back to the northwest :twisted:

those poor intertidal creatures

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1536708787226103808?s=20&t=8Xa9n7YbIrtJj29PXPB1Zw

making a right during rush hour

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Hexigrammus posted:

Is California about to enter mudslide season? I'm confused, I thought it was still fire season.

burned chaparral leaves oil in the dirt and a heavy rain after that is a mudslide disaster like what happened in santa barbara in 2018

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

HonorableTB posted:

Can someone summarize what the difference is between El Nino and La Nina and what it means for the PNW? It's been 20+ years since I took a weather and climatology class in school

La Nina: cold and and wet PNW; dry California
El Nino: warm and dry PNW; wet California

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

one week forward, but the dome forecast from last week should be hitting now?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Jel Shaker posted:

ugh, i hate litter bugs

i assume all cars are perfectly sealed and no fuel has leaked anywhere

the solution to pollution is dilution :smug:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Stereotype posted:

the farmers almanac is entirely made up and the conclusions are informed only by vibes and hunches

sir, they employ caterpillars

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/08/22/90degree-dew-points-in-iowa-senors-issues-or-corn-sweat

This article talks about it likely being miscalibrated sensors, but corn sweat could be contributing.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

titty_baby_ posted:

Grass fed is an industry term that specifically excludes corn, dingus. Learn2beef

most "grass fed" cows are finished on corn. less than 1% is grass finished.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

chasing after franklin, don't go!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

a forgotten coast if you will

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

sorry, idalia. franklin likes men.

https://wgme.com/news/local/tropical-tango-hurricane-franklin-set-absorb-tropical-storm-jose-due-fujiwhara-effect-by-weekend

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

NeonPunk posted:

Hurricanes talk to each other now? Calling bullshit on this one

they do once they get within 870 miles of each other.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

oh, is that nigel?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

quite a punch for a little medicane. all this warm water seems bad imo.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

ugh, count data isn't continuous; they shouldn't connect the points.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

actionjackson posted:

is it weird that we have only had one major hurricane hit the US gulf coast so far? i know the water temps are really high

"The main reason El Niño hampers tropical development is wind shear."
https://www.wunderground.com/article/storms/hurricane/news/2023-03-20-el-nino-atlantic-hurricane-season-2023

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

this was a good listen about reconstructing hurricane history with tree rings, shipwrecks, and sunspots.

https://radiolab.org/podcast/fellowship-tree-rings

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

it's halo infinite water physics

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

you cannot hide. i see you.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

a coin flip for a super el niño says NOAA

https://weather.com/news/climate/news/2023-12-14-super-el-nino-chances-december-noaa-update

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

that's some filthy snow

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

just got done running during the warmest part of the day, -19 degrees

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

it's totally junuary. i was running on snowy mountain ridge at 7500 feet and it was 50 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

A freaking transformer exploded 80 yards in front of me at the end of my run yesterday. I hope it didn't damage my ears.