Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The funniest* thing is that this is well known and everyone just accepts that the aquifer will run dry at some point and oh well. Like they've known for decades this was happening and just decided to accept that their ultimately doomed. https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/kansas/article28640722.html

*You may disagree as to whether this is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Are the splotches in Idaho/Washington the result of the dams on the snake river and columbia river?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Luneshot posted:

big fan of our insistence on large-scale irrigation and animal agriculture in the southwest and california, places famous for having plentiful water supplies

Haha yeah. But you can move water. You can’t move growing seasons or open land. So :shrug:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thesaurus posted:

What are the odds of a cat 5 obliterating me in Puerto Rico this season?

Certainly better than the odds of anyone in the mainland US actually caring

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Is 2005 the only time we made it all the way to the Greek letters?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I'm sure it's not possible for a bunch of reasons I don't understand but if Nana were to clear central America and reform in the Pacific would they rename it?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Now do Beta, which also just formed.

October 27th apparently.

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Sep 18, 2020

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

man wine country just loves being on fire

They just wanted a return to normality.

http://www.staritahills.com/wine-and-fire

quote:

It goes without saying that we are all missing our annual Wine and Fire event that is typically held the third weekend in August.

Better late than never?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

lol and it wasn't even hurricanes that did that, it was sinkholes

which iirc can be attributed to climate change via drought and groundwater depletion/acidification

Sinkholes are terrifying. I still have nightmares of that video of the trees just sinking into the swamp.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that was a punctured salt dome, they've punctured a few of those drilling for oil since it can frequently be found around them

salt domes tend to be p big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgYItiehtDM

Yeah, that's the one. Same general concept at least. That video came out right around the same time that guy in Florida got caught in a house that went down one didn't it?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Just gonna go gently caress up the ruins of Lake Charles

https://twitter.com/MargaretOrr/status/1313889765683597316

Or make new ruins in Lafayette.

Would it be better or worse to just double tap Lake Charles? I imagine a lot of folks are still evacuated and it's just going to knock down stuff that's already gotta be knocked down anyway, right? Or am I just completely wrong?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm presuming Texas and Mississippi get the 9-10? Why does Louisiana get only 3?

I’m pretty sure just Texas and Florida’s west coast get the 9 nautical miles. Every other state is 3

Edit: yeah. https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/oceancommission/documents/full_color_rpt/03a_primer.pdf

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Oct 11, 2020

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

mississippi extended theirs up to 9 miles years ago, though it was done by state law so idk how the feds handled that

That’s super interesting and I didn’t know that, but I’m not sure how that would work because the three miles is set by federal law after the Supreme Court basically held states had no jurisdiction off shore so I think they’d be pretty effectively preempted there

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

A word of mouth story from a coastal washington native tribe about an earthquake was dated exactly to the day sometime in the early to mid 1700s because of records of a tsunami that hit japan

Those oral histories are very robust. If you ever find yourself near Neah Bay the Makah people’s cultural center is very well done and interesting. They had a story of a large mudslide that later was excavated and resulted in a ton of well preserved artifacts, including evidence of gill net fishing which was used to help establish the practice as predating the treaties to the eternal consternation of modern fisherfolk who get really pissed about natives fishing.

Honestly I have no idea what the poster is talking about there were settlements and people all up and down the coast

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

I love the Australian native stories that have been proven through the geological record to be 10-12000+ years old, passed down word of mouth, generation to generation.

What the stories of the natives of the Americas could have told and taught us we will by and large never know and that saddens me

I read a book about that a couple years ago, the edge of memory. The whole thing was absolutely fascinating. Native people in the US are doing a lot of work to preserve their histories and languages. It’s not all getting lost. I think sometimes in the US we like to act like all the native people are gone or mostly gone, but they’ve hung on and shown remarkable tenacity against outright genocide. Probably a topic for a different thread though. Back to eta watch.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

i'm pretty sure they're referring to this earthquake https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700_Cascadia_earthquake

part of the story is that the earthquake was so big that at least one town was completely destroyed

from https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one :

Maybe? But that didn’t depopulate the coast and happened after settler contact and pretty close in time (around 100 years before L&C who described plenty of native populations along the Columbia including bunches near present day Portland) to settling starting.

Complications posted:

I dunno we kind of ignored everything the natives had to say about living within a hundred miles of the coast in the pacific northwest, it's possible that there wasn't a major population in that basin until white people trade up and down the river went nutso on the grounds that it periodically destroyed everything there.

I’m not trying to be too off topic with 29 forming but also I think the above is outright wrong. :shrug:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I think I’m really failing to make my point because I’m aware of the Cascadian subduction zone and the historic earthquakes and have even been out to the ghost forest in Neskowin. I’m pushing back at the suggestion that people in OR/WA didn’t settle by the coasts until white folks showed up. That’s ahistorical and a pretty gross erasure of the people that were here.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zarin posted:

Hasn't Tampa been dodging "the big one" since before building codes were a thing? :ohdear:

I think they haven’t had a big one in 100 years

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

The current NHC forecast for that wave is 20% chance of formation within 48 hours, 80% chance within 5 days

Up to 80%/90% respectively as of an hour ago. Iota here we come

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm in that line of "without excellent coverage" through SC and it actually owns because CAE, CHS, ILM, GSP, RAX and CLT TDWR all overlap coverage there and I can keep switching sources and getting a new scan every minute or two.

Pretty sure that’s the Pee Dee River which is like the most South Carolina name for a river

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

hell we even have two of them

My favorite South Carolina river will always be the Wateree River, though, because if you say it out loud it sounds like you're just really bad at adjectives. Regardless, while the Pee Dee is definitely a very swampy stretch of water I'm very curious why it's so clearly distinct on that map, like the guy upthread said it's surrounded by several airports and there's an air force base not too far away either

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I would simply choose to cower under the second tallest tree

I never leave home without a theodolite for this exact reason

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It's going to be nasty and I'm definitely not looking forward to it but it has been pretty dry and I don't think we're going to have to deal with any serious humidity (Portland isn't actually particularly close to the coast and while they aren't quite as high as the cascades the coast range does sit between here and the ocean, it's consistently a bit drier and warmer here than Seattle). But yeah as mentioned the houses here aren't really built for hot weather, more to stay warm in the winter, and when it doesn't cool off under 70 at night it can cause some serious issues with multi-day heatwaves

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

it was a big problem last heat wave because a ton of the homes there dont have any AC, people dont even have window units

Window units have gotten a lot more common in the last couple of years from what I've noticed but yeah central AC is actually pretty uncommon

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

PNW calibrated forecasts are being updated and

These are cities where most people don't have AC and the last time it got this hot some of our electrical grid infrastructure literally melted

AC ownership, at least as far as dinky window and portable units go, has shot way up over the last few years. Which given that those have to be way less efficient than central systems I’m going to imagine are going to greatly increase the chance of our grid melting.

Sunday is not gonna be fun

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

window units are surprisingly efficient, especially because they let you cool one room unlike a central system.

the portable units are a mixed bag. the actual refrigeration system is generally very efficient but a lot of them use a single hose to the window and that means they are basically pumping room air outside and have to re-cool the air that leaks in to replace it. dual hose models on the other hand can be almost as efficient as window units (having the compressor and fan motors inside leaks more heat into the living space than having it outside).

as someone who lives in Texas I have to say... gently caress that poo poo it doesn't matter what you are used to 113°F is HOT.

the units themselves might be efficient but the installation of them is decidedly not (often just cardboard/duct tape sealing the gaps on either side of the unit)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

coke posted:

they actually grow rice too

like this is literally a flooded rice field near redding ca area from a week or two back that's growing rice to be exported

the canal carryings all the waters around are all just dirt trenches because it's cheaper and easier than lining the surface with concrete, and it will naturally let the water seep into the surrounding crop area

it was almost 100f out at the time when i took that pic and it's going to be 110+ there in the next few days lol

so what do you mean we are in a drought??

Lmao rice doesn’t even need to be flooded. They just do it to keep away weeds and pests. So it’s an extra layer of stupid

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

right, agriculture in california uses extremely water-intensive methods because big landowners have absurd grandfathered water rights from hundreds of years ago that let them pull as much water as they want for practically free so it's cheaper than trying to conserve water

meanwhile normal people are asked to save water by flushing toilets less and taking shorter showers

I don’t know if it’s the case in California but I know the way some states’ water rights are set up you can actually lose your rights if you start significantly conserving water so there’s an incentive to not fix up your system too much

Laterite posted:

i mean, all things being equal, is that better or worse than relying on herbicides & pesticides?

Fair enough it’s just funny cause it’s so unnecessary

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

flash cook me daddy

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Helith posted:

So how windy is it going to be in the PNW on those heatwave days? because very hot, dry and windy is prime bushfire/wildfire weather.

This is what NWS is predicting for tomorrow

quote:

Sunday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 110. Light northeast wind becoming east northeast 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 18 mph.
Sunday Night
Clear, with a low around 77. Northeast wind 3 to 8 mph. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.

So yeah, plenty windy enough for bad things to happen

RIP me

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Still ‘only’ 90 in Portland and I’m starting to feel a tiny bit of hope that it won’t be as bad as forecast

Edit: I was an idiot to hope

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 22:53 on Jun 26, 2021

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah we’re officially over 100 and rising. I definitely spoke too soon

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPortland/status/1408904585838686212

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Raine posted:

if your piss is yellow and not clear, you aren't drinking enough water

No you can over hydrate which can be deadly

You want really pale yellow

SirPablo posted:

drink more piss

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPortland/status/1408935399938957312

Tomorrow is going to be hell. I’ll be surprised if it gets under 75 tonight

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPortland/status/1408944009603551235

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

hifi posted:

don't do this. if you have ice in an unbearably hot and humid environment you're better off just sticking your feet in it. swamp coolers work off evaporation and by shifting the air conditions more towards the hypothetical wet bulb conditions, so you could theoretically be pushing the temp to like... 90 degrees and 80% humidity if you don't know what you're doing.

The humidity is remarkably low so it shouldn’t be much of a problem. Portland was at 17% and even now NWS is reporting 29%. I don’t think with humidity where it’s at a freezers worth of ice will move it that much but I could be wrong

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

While opening everything does help, I can assure you that it still sucks when it gets no colder than the mid 70s outside.

Ideally you pay attention to when the temperature inside is reading higher than the temp outside but yeah the high overnight low is going to be really brutal especially given that it’s supposed to hotter tomorrow

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

I am limiting myself to three (3) lovely ice beers a day :)

The loophole here is obvious

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Radirot posted:

oh word?

:suspense:

Was already 100 by noon

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPortland/status/1409226494694498306

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

So this is going to be a wet bulb event, and even if its not and just close, is going to kill more folks than the condo collapse, won't it.

Lmao it’s hot and getting hotter but let’s be real it’s not going to be a wet bulb and while I think sadly there will be some deaths I don’t think it’ll get to triple digits

The most worrying thing to me is if it doesn’t cool off below 80 tonight

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SirPablo posted:

Wtf is a wet bulb event

Wet bulb event is my meatloaf tribute band’s name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Never heard of wet bulb but it sounds like every day in the summer in Houston. gently caress it’s miserable from July-September

I think this was the closest a populated place ever got

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-world-record/