Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

infrastructure weak

wet rear end bayou make that infrastructure weak, FE (MAH)
bring a bucket and a mop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

did they really build this freaking nuke plant 23 miles from downtown New Orleans and upstream of it on the Mississippi river??

with fukushima they started at 10, 20, 30km evacuation zones and eventually got up to nearly 50 miles radius recommended to evacuate. and it's still leaking stuff into the ocean to this day.

lmao

let's hope they keep those generators running and stocked with fuel!

look at this guy who thinks we could have built the plant downstream of New Orleans, a port on the coast :smug:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Floor is lava posted:

Got blasted with rain again yesterday in my area. Nothing to do with the left over rain from the hurricane. This happened to a school a few towns over from where I live:

https://i.imgur.com/FSJ2GZ7.mp4

ya'll should really keep the rain clouds on the outside of the building, hth

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Anyone recall what the website is for looking at before after satellite images?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

i am harry posted:

if anyone’s interested in Lake Charles, Louisiana, which in the last year has been hit by:

one cat 4 hurricane August 2020
one cat 4 hurricane October 2020
one snap freeze that broke half the water lines in the city December 2020
one 4ft flood that lasted all day in March 2021

…well it was just hit directly by a tornado. Just ripped half of my partners mom’s house in two.
If you’ll remember, half of the buildings in the city and most houses haven’t fully rebuilt from the first hurricane…

you'll be pleased to know we're in year 1 of 4 years of building back, better

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

it wasn't the 232 mph wind from the tornado, it was the semi-truck that removed your house from its foundation

Dying WITH 2*4 impalement not OF a tornado.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

Oh and Google maps has been offering unpaved forest service roads as route alternatives over literal mountains in this mega storm. So tech bro in his "all wheel drive" Mercedes...lol.

So I don't know poo poo about the other stuff (sounds bad OP - unironically), but I took some of these type of roads (because google routed me on them) back in the fall in the coastal hilly forests of Oregon when I was hunting and holy poo poo they were a bear to navigate with full sunny weather, no rain, but still just narrow and overgrown and abrupt endings off of cliffs or boulders in the literal middle of the road. But yeah dump feet of snow on top and then yeah that's a good way to get places. :rubby:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

Yeah that's Oregon. This is Tahoe specifically which is nestled in the center of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Sort of like an high altitude lake in the cradle of the Rockies. Very steep and very hard for a non4WD in the summer, let alone winter

E: get this, every pass north of Bakersfield has been closed since Christmas.

Even more crazy eh? drat.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Burning stuff is an incredibly low cost entertainment option when you're poor. You can have a whole day or evening of fun on the cheap!

It also saves money because you don't have to pay to take stuff to the dump!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm not in Phoenix but I just saw that Disturbed/Jinjer are having to postpone their concert there because their equipment isn't working right in the heat.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TehSaurus posted:

by “equipment” do you mean bodies?

for some reason they don't want the bodies to hit the floor**

*I don't actually know, just regurgitating the IG post/story
**yes yes I know

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What is this from because it sounds metal as gently caress.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

No power on Maui. Cell service is mostly gone. Only one real road available to evacuate the populated area and new fires are popping up everywhere.

Should add that the videos below are really unpleasant, so caution clicking on these

https://twitter.com/StrictlyChristo/status/1689356760476499968

https://twitter.com/goodvybe/status/1689201932945215489

The second video has a dead or likely soon to be body towards the very end, might consider mentioning that in your post.

These videos are reminding me of the Gatlinburg TN wildfire videos from 2016.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Level 8 alert? That feels like two many alert levels on that scale.

Who could possibly remember that many different levels of alert!

That's what you get with the metric system.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stereotype posted:

advertisement profit driven meteorology means that everything has to be the biggest and worst thing ever to have existed or else it is boring which means less money for the capitalism vampires. also we hosed up the climate so everything really is extra powerful and bad

sounds like climate change it going to produce some nice profit from all these extreme weather events, america stays winning

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Does this thread have a weather app recommendation for Android phones (not sure if iphone/android matters but just in case)? I have "Hyperlocal Weather" and I dunno but it just seems mediocre. Wondering if there's a more accurate forecasting app out there.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

How do these types of forecasts hold up? Like I assume there was one for last year, how'd it compare to reality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

redleader posted:

eclipses are nothing more than an advanced form of cloud

eyelids are micro-clouds, in this essay I will