Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Al! posted:

the south can gently caress off

I'm torn between yes of course but also we're not all terrible down here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Addamere posted:

love my dead gay planet

Don't worry, we're having a lunch and learn about green investing and I'm sure the climate combating economy will take care of it.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Agean90 posted:

b-b-but I might have to wear wear a jacket! *Sun is blotted out as 250000 acres of forest and a housing development burn down*

I grew up in Ohio and went to school on the great lakes and all I have to say is gently caress you I will actually burn to death before I go back there.

Which like, I'm in Texas now so that's more literal than I'd like it to be but here we are.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Agean90 posted:

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6404/

There's another one to the south that's at 100000 acres

It says this one is 159000 acres?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Agean90 posted:

Yeah that's the big fire, if you go to the big nation wide map theres more

Aw dang I was hoping we suddenly had two independent record setting fires of equal malice.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Over Easy posted:

work in the early childhood education field gets sadder and sadder each year because by the time my kids get high school aged in about a decade they are going to be living in a turbofucked hellhole

at least I have had a good run and have worked through a lot of my anger and depression about the state of things (from suicidal ideation to simply smdh over the course of my 20s) but these kids are having their chance at a life, even a lovely one, stolen from them

shits sad

You just have to stop thinking of climate change as the problem and realize it's actually the solution. It's 2019 my dude.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The entire arctic being on fire is normal and good actually

Well you're half right anyway!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

nice map of freedom and not freedom

It's what the F stands for.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

It's ok, I had a good run of two weeks on the island :angel:

I will post in your memory.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

climate depression thread is thataway my man

Can't even lmao in peace these days.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

shut the gently caress up

I can't hear you over the sound of my crystals charging!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

Everything is bigger in texas

My favorite is climate deniers blaming them for not listening to the scientists.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Karen is going straight to the NHC to talk to the hurricane hunters’ manager

Classic Karen.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

It's peak fire season in California. Huge heat wave this week plus lots of dry brush. PG&E doesn't want another lawsuit but they also don't want to be responsible for regular maintenance, so they're just arbitrarily cutting off power to any "high-risk" areas now. Tens of thousands of people just won't have power on any given day.

Lol we're not competent enough to do our job safely and in compliance with local law so we're just going to not do it. Tell me they can get sued again when someone dies of heat stroke.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Does this map say that there were literally 20 tornadoes up there?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

i say swears online posted:

100%. they don't drive marked vehicles though so we should be safe and just make every newer-model luxury car fair game

Wait you weren't already doing this?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Gripweed posted:

As a Texan, yeah it great. It's like 70 degrees right now. and it's been literally since my city was destroyed by a hurricane so I'm saying global warming is more good than bad

On the other hand summer is coming.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I'm not sure this is the right thread for you.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

lol using “if” in 2020.

This is gonna be awesome.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

CODChimera posted:

Category 3 doesn't sound that bad

*Pounds fists on table*

Cat! Five! Cat! Five! Cat! Five!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Ayin posted:

Why is nobody talking about the snowpocalypse that's about to strike the northeast US

My area is currently forecast for 21 inches

Sounds like global warming is cancelled!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

El Burbo posted:

is Texas gonna get hit by a sneak attack tropical storm before June?

Hell yeah gently caress me up bro!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

VectorSigma posted:

i've been on a month-long current-events posting hiatus, and i just gotta say

lol

lmao

Right? I basically just broke my own and I feel like it's already time for another one. I almost started crying, just like outright sobbing about an hour ago but now I've got the insane joker smile back. How does that even work?

I'm contemplating potential career suicide by hassling our corporate sustainability team about their plan for this as if it's anything other than make more computers, faster. Maybe I can convince them to start lobbying for aerosol injection? That will probably matter about as much as my complaining about the treatment of women and blacks etc.

To sum up: lol, lmao

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

If you really want to go out in a blaze of glory that might be slightly less meaningless, only approach it from a local immediate resilience perspective (e.g. lobby for them to sponsor cooling centers during heat waves and the like).

That is actually a pretty great idea, thank you!

Luneshot posted:

i would also note that aerosol injection is not a good idea

Yeah it definitely isn't something I would choose, but I think it was mdemone who was talking about it in the other thread as being imminently necessary to prevent the worst feedbacks kicking off more or less immediately. It's just another broke brain flailing around helplessly.

In terms of immediately constructive advice, I spent a few hours listening to lectures on the bible eightfold path and I feel a lot better somehow, so maybe give that a shot if you're thinking of melting down like I was.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I know it's one of you guys posting on that Twitter. Fess up already!

Honestly I find it kind of refreshing to see them just joker laughing with the rest of us gawking at insane numbers that are somehow normal now. It's like an antidote to the constant gaslighting of our political and media landscape.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

gay_crimes posted:

meanwhile, in Austin, TX

global warming, you say? :smug:

Really worried about how exactly climate change is going to gently caress us! I feel like its going to be a flood. I'm just outside a '1000 year' flood plain on the FEMA maps so I'm assuming it will be that.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I've had it for ages from, you guessed it, having had this exact conversation. Two years now at least. At the time I was having this argument in D&D, totally unaware that Jose was handing out probes over here in C-SPAM for pro-Malthus positions. Very funny

The red text is more explicitly about the "feminism and healthcare" (or "family planning") of the BMGF in Africa, MENA, and Southwest Asia where they were busying themselves sterilizing the local populations. Whoever bought it was careful to use that phrasing over population control which was the correct phrase but unfortunately (for them) also has the (correct) negative association. To be clear we should refer to it as population control as its proponents are very keen on limiting these programs to "undesirable" populations - see Bill Gates' quote on the population of Yemen, e.g.

If it's any consolation, I found your perspective valuable. Reading the OP I felt, yes, obviously contraception and reproductive rights are part of the solution. But your framing is even stronger. In the US access to these rights is largely moderated by money. Solve the money problem and the access problem disappears. I would feel comfortable saying that if you can bring economic justice to areas which presently lack women's rights, they will follow not long after the money.

This is the actual solution to the malthusian dilemma. But we're just going to kill the global poor, and then ourselves, because lol of course we are.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

First one since the 70s

Oh see this has happened before so it's fine.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

May be? Partly? Come on... Come on!!!!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Get used to it.

Fire season is a normal part of the ecology of most of the western United States.

It’s not normal for the fires to be this intense. That’s partly on climate change and largely a legacy of centuries of fire suppression. The twentieth century took out a line of credit and the bill is due.

Respirator crew wins again!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I still see some water in there. Doesn't seem that bad, yet.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Hooplah posted:

for anyone interested in an overview of what happened to the oroville dam and how
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNM4DGBRMU

That was cool as heck. I especially enjoyed all the opportunities to prevent the failure that were totally ignored. Seems familiar somehow.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Koirhor posted:

I’m trying to imagine a world where a major hurricane hits Iceland

That sounds like a lot of work you won't have to do if you just wait.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

just read about it again. the dummies built 14000 houses INSIDE the reservoirs area, lol. it's usually dry there but when it rains enough the area floods by design so downtown doesn't. people bought them without receiving any kind of disclosures. lmao

Ok I've been in Texas for a long time now and the stupidity mostly doesn't take me by surprise anymore but this one got me.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Lolling and lmaoing from Austin Texas.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Far too many bougies live here nowadays to allow any flooding to occurs. They'll just activate the rain dome shield.

Wait where do I buy one of these? Someone is holding out.

Honestly pretty sure I'm going to die in a historic rain event if we don't move soon. If that Italy thing had happened here I'd already be dead!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Nah, I'm gentrifying tech scum in Holly neighborhood. I'm just outside of a 1000 year flood plain for boggy creek that was drawn well before the massive wave of development really took hold down here. I'll be fine tomorrow. But a freak storm dumping feet of rain? That could be deadly!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

i am harry posted:

if anyone’s interested in Lake Charles, Louisiana, which in the last year has been hit by:

one cat 4 hurricane August 2020
one cat 4 hurricane October 2020
one snap freeze that broke half the water lines in the city December 2020
one 4ft flood that lasted all day in March 2021

…well it was just hit directly by a tornado. Just ripped half of my partners mom’s house in two.
If you’ll remember, half of the buildings in the city and most houses haven’t fully rebuilt from the first hurricane…

Looking forward to when it is like this everywhere!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

loving poo poo that is dire. Goddamn. I'm sorry to hear it.

Hope the twisty at least left the little girl a dippy dog for her trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Nenonen posted:

I read a brief mention that the collapsed candle factory in Mayfield also employed prisoners (who helped in rescue work by making holes in drywalls so people trapped in pockets could breathe), and this was stated like there was nothing unusual about it. I must admit that it doesn't surprise me that slaves would be forced to work during a tornado, but I would still like to hear more if there is any more information on this.

Do you mean what happened to these people specifically or how totally normal it is to have slaves working for your American company? Surely our vice president using prison labor to fight wildfires has been discussed here. It's a demon cracker nation my friend.