Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I do appreciate Jeff managing to wrangle in the season theme to the medivac though.

Elizabeth has completely bought into the premise. Every confessional is "As a David..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

The divisional names never make sense, did we learn nothing from Heroes v Hustlers

Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers.
I agree with your point, the team divisions are arbitrary and inconsistent and primarily set up so Probst can riff on the differences and create conflicts.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea that was a classic awesome blindside.

I really cannot stand cowgirl though. Like visually I just want her gone.
I find Cowgirl more likeable than Beast Mode Cowboy back in Cow Rong.

Will there be a change to 3 tribes of 6 or is the David team going to lose every physical challenge and be decimated.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 4, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Gabby referred to herself as "the nerd whisperer". She is playing Christian.
As for his mannerisms, on last night's podcast Rob Cesternino described him as looking like "a mime trying to escape a bubble" which was perfect.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Bring back the Don't Drown challenge!

It was done on Australian Survivor and it still holds up as a great contest.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

I know this might seem odd, but think critically about what you get out of the Survivor grand prize.

One million dollars! But more like six hundred grand after Obama is done with it.

Are Survivor winners obligated to give money to a Democratic ex-president? Yes, it does seem odd to think that Mark Burnett would insist on that.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 16, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Jeff apparently didn't take any negotiation classes at all.

"Oh you want to give up everything? That's not good enough, you gotta make the personal sacrifice and give up your chance at winning an immunity challenge you had no chance of winning"

Zesty posted:

On RHAP, James Lim is describing the “Chore chart” production provided them for Ghost Island.

Holy poo poo.
RHAP's had a great roster of guests this season.
James is quite smart, too bad he was recognized as a threat and voted out early. He and Rob go on for 20 minutes just on Angelina's deal-making.
And they both agree that it doesn't matter what Angelina offered, because
1. Jeff holds all the power so it's not really a negotiation and as he's said before, "My life is fine." He doesn't need or want their fishing gear or anything else they possess back at camp. .And
B. while they're discussing strategy and what they're willing to offer Probst, they're being filmed. The production crew can tell Probst all the details of their opening and final bids before the tribe has a chance to talk to him.

Angelina might as well have asked,
"Jeff, we need more rice, what do want in exchange? Name your price".

And Rob says they got off lucky, Probst doesn't like to be interrupted when he's introducing a challenge, and could have demanded more people sit out, or something even more valuable/risky.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 2, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Hahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

This season is terrific

We could see the return of Goliath Strong alliance. Less biblical, more Greek tragedy. The Davids were outnumbered the entire game, fought and struggled and played idols and when they finally managed to gain advantage they threw it away.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 6, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zesty posted:

Are you dorks kidding me?

Yeah it's not jealousy. The family visit reminds players that they have a life off the island. It was underlined for Gabby that Christian isn't her friend, they're competing with each other for $1 million. He wasn't consoling her out of sympathy, he was using her as an additional vote in his plans and a goat if she got to the end with him.

IcePhoenix posted:

OK so knowing that the final four has the fire challenge I think Allison is going to make it to final three because they randomly showed her easily starting a fire during a conversation.

I'm guessing the other three are gonna be Mike, Angelina, and Kara.

Feel free to make fun of me for ~looking too much into the edit~ or whatever but that poo poo was blatant

I'm pretty sure Devon was shown practicing or making fire. Then he lost the competition to Ben in HHH.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Angelina is the best.

She's not a villain, she's completely oblivious of how people see her.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
If Angelina is in F3 someone on the jury should bring a bag of rice from Ponderosa, hand it to her and say, "Okay now we're even, no more rice talk, nobody cares".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Edge pf Extinction?!

Aubry Bracco
David Wright
Joe Anglim
Kelley Wentworth
Are these players that fans have been clamouring for? I hope the theme is better than what was shown in the short preview clip. But overall that was a better Reunion show than the last few seasons, they didn't spend any time with random people in the audience and gave a lot of the cast a chance to speak.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm a little behind at the moment but lol Angelina angling herself for another season

I'd rather see Angelina again than Professor Over Explainer.

"Jeff it's great to have you as captive audience for 6 hours, people would pay big money for that. So, Jeff, now that we're in this situation and I can ask you anything in the world about Survivor game theory or philosophy or how the game has changed over the years, there's something I've always wondered: do you know how to make a Reuben sandwich?"

Maybe it's a hilarious robotics joke but it went over my head.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I kind of skipped past most of the reunion and anytime during the finale when they cut to the stage (because 80 percent of the time now I really don't care). Any big highlights?
Probst: Angela I hear you think your edit was unfair.
Angela: That's right, I was shown as bossy and lazy and I'm not like that at all.
Probst: Okay, show of hands from the rest of the cast: Who else thought they got a bad edit or were portrayed unfairly?
Everyone else on stage: (not a single hand was raised)

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 20, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

There's a great interview with Josh Wigler where Christian actually goes over some of the other stuff he said during the six hour challenge. Some of it was game related; he asked Probst if they were ever gonna do another auction again (he said probably not :smith:). The Reuben comment was actually part of a larger point about food temptations during challenges. :v:

But you're actually in luck: Jeff 100% agrees with you that he would bring back Angelina ahead of everyone else in this cast. He loves her.

Plus, apparently Christian's now a tenure track professor with his own program at the University where he teaches, so it's very unlikely that he will be able to take off to play Survivor again any time in the next several years without seriously damaging his career.

And that last part was Natalie, not Angelina. Man, I almost forgot about Natalie. It feels like she was on a different season.

Natalie. That's what I get for staying up late to watch the reunion show and KIA then posting before I've finished a morning coffee.

Returning player season idea: Mike White & team of returning players vs (wait for it...) Jack Black with a bunch of young people. Call the season School of Voting Block.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I think it speaks perfectly to the point she had that she and Mike were playing the same game and he was doing it better.

Alison's interview makes me even happier that I didn't really like her. Oof.

Alison's still waiting to make a 'big move'. Alison puts down Angelina but at least the latter tried, and played hard.
And Angelina did have a story arc of talking about how few women had found idols in the beginning of the game, then she managed to find one and make good use of it. So she had a lot of faults but that came around nicely.
Mostly I remember Alison complaining, and being used by others for her vote.

Fast Luck posted:

this is David Wright's second time only, so that's fairly cool. The others though, we've seen a lot of. The next season will be 38, and their previous seasons are:

Aubry - 32, 34
Joe - 30, 31
Kelley - 29, 31

Aubry is the worst of the bunch in terms of overexposure and we definitely don't need to see her again right now.
Joe it's at least been a little longer, but he's always been a one-note player. Not really interested in him.
Kelley is the best pick of those three i feel, since she has a little more to her game and wasn't much of a presence in 29, so she almost feels like a one-time player.

There are some who think Aubry could have or should have won over Michelle Fitzgerald, so I suppose this is her chance at redemption.
I guess Joe and Kelly are the eye candy returnees. I wonder if the returning players will have some beginning immunity advantage because surely those 2 will be seen as huge threats in all aspects of the game and early targets.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 20, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I said "huge threats in all aspects of the game".

Anyway just saw someone post this on twitter and thought I'd share

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Sand Monster posted:

How did she make good use of it? She tried once again to act like an arrogant mastermind in a big production for the jury (I can't remember her exact words when getting up to play the idol but it was something like, "I have the votes for Alison anyway but I'm going to play this to be extra safe") which they saw right through, and also used the opportunity to pointlessly irritate someone that she's sending to the jury out of spite. Add into this the fact that she didn't find the idol herself -- while losing the clue and stranding herself on a ledge which resulted in somewhat of an emotional breakdown immediately thereafter that she tried to play off as injuring herself -- and required assistance from Nick and Mike to actually locate it. The entire episode is yet another summation of her horribly misguided gameplay and insufferable personality.
Yeah it was funny that she didn't mention that little detail to the jury.

At F5 Nick was safe. Without the idol, Alison Kara and Mike could have voted her out.

Rarity posted:

Oh god Angelina is just the worst

Solid finale without being spectacular. The fire challenge at F4 isn't just bad for strategy, it's boring as hell to watch in the moment as well.

Wentworth! :woop:
Remind me of some of the entertaining things Kara did.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 20, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

Well, I mean, they didn't, but still, I already admitted to being wrong about Mike White and that he played a game that garnered a lot of respect. :downs:

Anyway, the RHAP exit interviews are out and for reasons I don't want to spoil, this one is an absolute must-listen. Just trust me.

EDIT: For those who need a little more info and don't mind spoiling this wonderful surprise for yourself; the second exit interview starts with a hungover Mike White bitching Rob the gently caress out for, among other things, his coverage all season, and his absolute refusal to let anyone forget that The Emoji Movie was a thing. It's loving priceless, because it is clearly not a bit and Rob had no idea Mike was actually listening all season.

For a professional writer Mike is incredibly bad at expressing his thoughts in complete coherent sentences. (To be fair he did say he was really hungover. )

A great line was when Rob asked if Mike wanted to complete the trifecta of CBS reality shows by going on Celebrity Big Brother and he said something along the lines of, "I like the adventure (of Survivor and TAR), there's nothing appealing about sitting on a sound stage in Burbank for so many weeks, eating crappy food. That's too much like my day job".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"I've made 3 movies since Emoji Movie why don't you ever talk about them?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think Mike just ultimately found it difficult to sell "I spent the entire game pretending to be someone else to gain your trust so I could get you to make the moves I want made and you'd get your throats cut while I'd stay in people's good graces so you should totally give me - a rich and successful millionaire - the million dollars and not this charming guy who played a pretty good game and who is digging himself up from nothing and a sad background story who also now helps people." He knew how it would look so he just kind of aborted.

Maybe he could have pulled it off but being that kind of an rear end in a top hat obviously wasn't worth it to him. I guess my only real question is whether he would have been more willing to do it with Allison the emphatic doctor or Kara the ball of the light and positivity.

In a red carpet interview with Arisa Cox, Nick said no one knew he was a lawyer; he told them all he was a social worker. So his speech during F3 might have had more impact than if they'd known he was well-versed in making oratorical arguments to sway juries.

ps don't know if anyone mentioned it but I loved the time after Nick had spoken to jury and Probst said, "Okay now let's hear from Mike" and Angelina piped up with, "I'ma let Mike talk but first I want to say..." and she basically hijacked the conversation. Classic Goliath move.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 22, 2018