Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
After all the memes Im really just interested in how the boss is as a villain. The series has a history of amazing villains and im hoping that continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Expect My Mom posted:

if i dont have to lock this thread in the thirteen day interim it'll be a miracle

If only there was some way to skip past it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I somehow managed to be spoiled on everything related to King Crimson and the broad strokes of how it is eventually dealt with without having a single plot beat leading up to any of that spoiled.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

trucutru posted:

So, you read Hunter x Hunter?

I barely even know what that is so no

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsR4TX1eWjg

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Add me to the list of people who isn't really impressed by Giorno, not only is his stand basically just pure Deus Ex Machina but the whole "Dio's son" angle is extremely wasted so far. Plus there are few parts in the story where Araki clearly just wished Giorno just had Crazy Diamond's powers so that he could hand wave away all of the grievous injuries.

Luckily the supporting cast for part 5 is absolutely incredible and makes up for every one of Giorno's short comings, and even Giorno himself has had some excellent fights so far (Bruno, Black Sabbath and Baby Face).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

RatHat posted:

Maybe Kars would develop his own stand.

He did say he had the power to replicate any ability a living thing had and then mastered Hamon in ten seconds so hed probably just make one after he knew what they were.

I was always kind of curious what it would end up being.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tir McDohl posted:

My last argument against Kars being able to make a stand is that he seemed to have the ability to take on what appeared to be mostly physical characteristics. Stands are a power of the soul/spirit, as far as I can tell, and most people gained the power through being shot by a mystical arrow. I dont know if he just gets to have a stand for being The Ultimate Thing.

He could do Hamon just fine and that was explicitly a supernatural thing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Quote is not edit

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ill be honest I kinda thought Bucaretti would banish Notorious BIG to his zipper nether realm like where he stored all the money.

It becoming a sea monster was kinda neat.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

King Crimson makes more sense to me than Golden Experience.

I guess it's one of those situations where the villain has a more memetic presence than the hero, like how DIO having time stop was a meme that circulated everywhere while Jotaro having the same power was rarely mentioned.

Its also that the villain's power just gets more scrutiny in general due to the way Jojo fights go down. Meanwhile the hero's power is usually either pretty simple (Josuke, Jotaro) or a little handwavey (Giorno, Hamon)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
maybe Giorno is just into golden showers

one might even call it a Golden Experience

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just thought your Stand was a manifestation of your soul. Thats why when Black Sabbath grabs the old man it gets his soul and when it grabs Giorno it gets his Stand.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Hamon was cool but it was very played out by the end of part 2. Stands have so much more depth to them than sunlight martial arts and allow for more interesting stories.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Araki has a real talent for writing compelling villains, I was a little worried about the boss since he wasn't living up the scenery chewing insanity of Dio or the twisted entitlement of Kira but now I'm invested

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

overmind2000 posted:

He should have had Doppio do it instead, he would have at least let Bruno leave before trying to kill Trish

wasn't the whole problem that you could tell Trish and the Boss were related just by looking at them together?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

overmind2000 posted:

Akira works as a villain because he's what someone with a very powerful Stand would do if they had no direction or ambition in life other than to gently caress around with their newfound power. He's refreshingly small-time as befitting someone from a town like Morioh.

He particularly works as a lead in to someone like Kira, the son of a noble family driven by dark and unspeakable desires that he barely has control over.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I imagine DIO watched a shitload of television while lounging around in Cairo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So uh, how does the boss stop suffocating to death again? Does he just start shoveling gravel into his mouth to get the iron back in his blood or something?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Everyone, I figured it out

King Crimson is a lag switch

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

sirtommygunn posted:

The boss couldn't even instant kill Bruno, he absolutely could not handle DIO regenerating, stopping time, and then knocking his god drat head off.

King crimson just gets to erase the time stops, its a pretty hard counter.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SpartanIvy posted:

That only works if King Crimson can activate before The World. Which given how Dio typically yells ZA WARUDO before activating it, might actually work.

The boss can see the future, just skip over the moment where a bunch of knives appear out of thin air or there is suddenly a whole in your chest.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Whether or not he can interact with things can be easily explained by assuming he can choose either one at will.

Yeah once you accept that everything clicks into place. It may not be outright stated but its been clearly shown as doing both.

The one thats harder to understand for me is the kid switcheroo since it seems like the boss (i just want to start using his real name already) abducted, stripped, sewed his mouth shut, and then switched both of their positions all in the span of a single time skip.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The virus thing is dumb but thankfully ignorable

Though did we really need an explanation besides "shits magic yo"?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gnome7 posted:

This doesn't seem all that different to me from "you become a vampire by having your brain poked in just the right places," really. It's a goofy sci fi explanation for magic so we can move on and have magic in the modern day. Magic meteorite arrows give hereditary superpowers - it just makes sense.

That poo poo was dumb as hell too, just make it magic and skip the bs

Though I'm sure we'll have forgotten all of this in one episode and it will never come up again just like the thing with the mask

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Diavolo also sounds like he regrets inducting him into Passione and that he only did so under false pretenses

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Cioccolatta is hands down the most hosed up dude in the entire series, even more so than the likes of Kira or DIO.

At least they both had something resembling charisma rather than having a personality straight out of an internet creepypasta

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Isnt seven by far the most hype part of the entire series? Seems a real shame to stop right before you get to it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
From the organization's perspective you send the hit squad when you want someone dead

when you want to send a message you send Cioccolatta and his gimp boy

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I knew it was coming and it was still so good

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3omuhsFPlY

you knew it was coming

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
In other news I did not expect that watching a man get beaten to death would be so satisfying

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Didnt Red hot chili pepper last for quite a while?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What happens if you freeze time and skip time at the same time

I assume you'd skip the time freeze

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Nate RFB posted:

It's really impressive how this story has crafted its villains. Every single Part has had a banger of a main baddie that somehow manage to toe the line perfectly between being charismatic/fun and wanting to see them get their teeth kicked in.

Both from what Ive watched and what Ive heard/seen about the parts coming up I know that Araki has a knack for writing villains.

These past two parts in particular (4 and 5) you could plausibly argue that Kira and Diavolo are more fleshed out and compelling as characters than the Jojo of their parts.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Would Diavolo even have any problems at all if he just kept his word on putting Trish in gangster witness protection?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Diavolo's theme has grown on me but its not even close to Kira's or the Pillar Men's themes which are both excellent for entirely different reasons

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://youtu.be/kCUGuK2tBr0

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Diavolo would be much more intimidating if this body swapping gimmick didnt completely undermine his physical presence.

Diavolo's body has had more screentime being inhabited by Buccaretti than Diavolo himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Plus the whole requiem thing is clearly an entirely different process than what normally happens when the arrow pierces a person.

Chariot Requiem doesnt even register Polnareff as a stand user let alone it's stand user why would it be a manifestation of any part of him. He managed to order it to protect the arrow before he lost control but thats all hes got.