Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

skaianDestiny posted:

New Starship Troopers RTS coming out in 2020. Graphics look average, but hopefully the game play is decent enough.

Crossing my finger that this will not just be a glorified tower defense clone. The gameplay mechanic where you can choose between beinga brown nosing career officer or go your own way, protecting your men seems really interesting and I look forward to see how that works.

Another thing i hope they add is proper kill animations and an action camera like in Ancestors Legacy, where you can push a button and zoom down to be in the thick of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

GhostDog posted:

I'm an RTS philistine who mostly enjoys playing with toy soldiers in singleplayer, always selects "if you're conscious you're good" difficulty and doesn't even know what APM means. Favorites are CoH and MoW.

Will Steel Division 2 appeal to me?
And is Sudden Strike 4 good now?

Have you checked out Zero-K ? It is a free RTS available on steam. It got a huge amount of units, things blow up real good, and you can make hordes upon hordes of cheap units or huge death robots, and build map altering superweapons like the planetary chisel that you can use to carve a chasm right across the map. (Or a big dingus if thats your thing)

It got a very decent AI, the easy setting is fun to play with and its not difficult at all. It also has a big campaign that eases you into all of the strategies and mechanics the game has to offer via clever mission objectives.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Starks posted:

The editor was really fantastic. Perfect combo of functionality and ease of use imo and it shows in the fact that it spawned like 3 or 4 genres.

Even if the campaign is unfinished I might get the remake if people start putting out good custom maps or mods.

I remember a real fun mod/custom map that was called ice troll tribes. In it there was several different teams of about four or so players each. Each team was a tribe. Each player controlled only one troll, and you had to forage for food, keep warm by assembling a bonfire from materials found in the wilds, and be on the look out for the other tribes on the map. Basically a survival game way before survival games became cool.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Been having a hankering to play Warhammer: Dark Omen lately. But its impossible to get a hold of (legally) and I fear it hasn't aged that well. That game was really fun, and I hope someone will make a game similar to it. Managing a mercenary outfit, equipping them with weapons and items, branching mission paths etc.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LLSix posted:

You should take a look at Battle Brothers

It also sounds like you might like XCom if you haven't played it yet.

Yeah I remember being hyped about this one. However the units being basically big head chess pieces put me off. There was an LP of the game here on SA however, and it was entertaining. Sadly my character, and archer got mauled to death by wolves fairly early on. :(

Love Stole the Day posted:

Apparently there was another RTS remaster that didn't get marketed well enough this past year but has good Steam reviews regardless: https://store.steampowered.com/app/944010/SWINE_HD_Remaster/

This new Steam "Deep Dive" thing is pretty good

They actually released the original for free a loooooong time ago. I tried it, and it was pretty fun albeit fairly simple in terms of gameplay mechanics. One cool thing was that you could upgrade your units between battles and they would visually change wich was pretty cool for its time.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 17, 2020

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

V for Vegas posted:

DoW3 80% off - I'll bite and mess around with it for a while at that price. Did it ever get any mods?

There are some mods out, but I think it is mainly rebalancing and gameplay changes. Dont quote me on this though. It has a workshop on steam so probably check there. Oh and a word of warning the game flopped hard, the devs long since abandoned it, so there will be no more official updates.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Deakul posted:

Man, I'm replaying CNC3 and it's still a ton of fun and still looks pretty great!

Same, but man the patches really messed up some of the campaign missions...

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Laughing Zealot posted:

Think Ground Control 2 also had it. Wonder if the first one did too, never played it.

Nah, the first one didnt have garrisonable buildings. You could load infantry onto your APC though.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

But how on earth can I play these fabulous mods?
Yeah, so here's the thing. Neither BFME game has been readily available for a very long time and with moviegame rights being what they are, it's unlikely that they'll be available on Origin or whatever anytime soon. The community has surreptitiously started hosting the games online and I'm sure if you google "BFME Revora" you can figure things out and I don't risk getting in trouble from tattletale goons. Additionally, said community has created its own multiplayer solution, a lot like CNCNet at https://t3aonline.net/ and oh look what's included on its download page.

Wow, thank you for this post. I love BFME2:ROTW to bits. I keep coming back to it, the gameplay is so darn addictive and epic. It captures the feel of the movies so incredibly well. I did not know there was a mod scene for this game, and seeing that they actually took the trouble of adding singleplayer content, I'm definately checking this out!

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 30, 2020

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

Goddamn, I really like this take on Mirkwood.

(AOTR, BFME2 mod)

Wow, this looks beautiful!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Catastrophe90 posted:

(including a bug where the game wipes everything in the C: drive).

Ah I see they are proudly carrying the tradition started by Myth 2 back in the day!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

Age of the Ring, that big BFME2 mod I efforted about a while back just released their newest version. Its biggest features are the addition of the Woodland Realms aka moar elfs, a big surprise update to Erebor and a completely new AI. I'm especially looking forward to that last one, because BFME2's bots are pretty miserable to play against, ignoring your units and beelining straight towards your resource buildings. This new one apparently engages your armies, uses hero abilities and spellbook powers, and expands its base effectively. The update also includes a host of smaller fixes and new art.
They've also got a guide to installing and running all of the BFME games here: https://forums.revora.net/topic/105190-bfme1bfme2rotwk-games-download-installation-guide/

Oh my god. I love BFME 2 and ROTWK. I never really stopped playing them. Seeing the community actually being active and releasing mods blows my mind. Downloading now!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

It's a really well made mod with a very active community on Discord and even a small multiplayer scene. Well planned out too, they've got two major versions left before they pretty much call it content-complete.

Yeah I'm playing the Lord of the rings campaign, and its incredibly well made. On par with the original campaigns of the base game, if not better.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mantis42 posted:

What are your go-to civilizations/cultures in strategy games set in our world? I tend to gravitate towards Spain, Italy and China a lot of the time. If it's a Paradox game I'll check out the Indian thunderbowl too, but outside that I don't prioritize them.

e: if it's an ancient setting then the Egyptians.

Depends on the game and the era. Medieval games I like to play as the english because they usually have longbowmen, and I love to pick my enemies off from afar. 1700s or 1800s I like to play as the Austro-hungarian empire. They usually got a nice selection of varied units and cool uniforms too.

For ancient settings I like the Carthaginians. Historically great traders and explores, so usually they have some sort of bonuses in relation to this, and i love making fat stacks of cash in these games. Also their reliance on mercenaries mean you can get a colourful and interesting army with a lot of options. Europa Barbarorum 1 and 2 mods for the total war games really did the carthaginians justice in that regard.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

Looks like that Starship Troopers RTS is still a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLMLusw4efU

Here is a 1 hour gameplay reveal from a stream they did recently. It looks a bit rough around the edges animation wise, but it is a work in progress though. Core gameplay looks promising though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9NndYkPv4

I love the quirkiness and satire of the movie, so hopefully they will keep that in the game!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

V for Vegas posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-13-company-of-heroes-3-is-coming-and-it-feels-like-the-original-but-bigger

They were going to do Pacific! But a handful of gamers who play MP just didn't want "non-historical" strong Japanese forces. WTAF?

Thats dumb. Imperial Japan could have been fun to play in a COH style game. I'm thinking resilient infantry, and weak but fast moving vehicles.
Abilities for units should focus around speed boosts, stealth, camouflage and entrenchment.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I want somebody to make an RTS game where multiplayer is an option, but the real focus is in making a customisable AI and skirmish mode. I have hundreds of hours in various RTS games, but only 2 hours of actually playing against people online. Warrior kings Battles (a criminally overlooked RTS btw) included an AI general editor where you could customize the AI's priorities and tactics via sliders. It didnt really work, but the idea was good, and IMHO its a crime nobody else have implemented that ever since.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
It seems like Starship troopers Terran Commandis getting a demo next week. I'm kinda hyped for this game since i loved the movie as a kid. They seem to be very aware of its source material being the Verhoeven film so hopefully it will retain that special cheesyness. (And ridiculous gore)

Muscle Tracer posted:

IDK if this is really what you're looking for, but Gladiabots is 100% about customisable AI, but it's a 4v4 tactics setting and it's your programmed AI vs different scenario AIs.

Oh, I was thinking more along the lines of deciding the AI's playing style, like wether it favours turtling, raiding, etc. And what units it favours. But looking at gameplay of Gladiabots I see that system would be awesome to have in an RTS as well!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

chaosapiant posted:

Know what game I really liked? Ground Control. Never played either the expansion or the sequel, but I thought the first Ground Control was awesome. And it featured a newbie Jennifer Hale before she’d become Bastilla, using the same Bastilla voice/accent.

Is there any way to get Ground Control to work on Windows 10 and maybe modern/widescreen it up? I have it on GOG but remember it having some compatibility issues and couldn’t get it to work.

Oh man yes. I love the first ground control to bits, and bought the ground control anthology on steam for a pittance a few years back. It worked just fine on my windows 10 pc. Not sure about widescreen setup tho.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Any goons where who play Cepheus Protocol? I just bought it the other day. It has a lot of features that I want to explore, but man it is hard to get into. One big problem I'm having is that as soon as i touch down to make a base, civilians start flocking there. And inevitably one or more of them turn and I suddenly have a bunch of zombies tearing down my base in seconds. I litterally got wiped within the first 10 minutes because of this. I know about the civilian shelters that can be built, but it sucks using all my starting funds on those, and then have to spend all that time micromanaging the never ending flow of civvies...

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Despite not having a story per se, the campaign is surprisingly fun.
Also Zero K got the best until control ever. The feature where you can "draw" the formation of your units is incredible and i wish every RTS had this option.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I dusted off my old copy of "Tom Clancy's EndWar"(xbox 360) recently and I've been hooked. I wish this game didnt flop, because there are a lot of things here i'd like to see more of; the persistent batalion system where you select your batalion and customise them with upgrades and camoflages as the campaign progresses, and the voice control where you can play the game just by using your voice.

Also another thing unique thing about this game is the camera. The primary view in the game is from the perspective of the unit you currently have selected. While it might sound limiting, once you get used to it, its actually quite immersive. You have to really be on your toes in regards to unit positioning and plan ahead. It makes for some tense moments before you establish LOS with the enemy, and for some quite spectacular moments when combat breaks out and your smack in the middle of it.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 10, 2022

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Not having AI so that you can do comp stomps with a buddy is a big bummer

Waaaay to many RTS devs sleep on this. They usually just add a basic AI and forget about it. I'm a huge RTS fan and have played pretty much all of them at one point or another, but 90% of my play time is singleplayer skirmish. Same with the friends i play those RTS with.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
i'm also a bit bummed out about no meta progression outside of missions, and that they dropped the moral choice thing.

However, it is still a solid game for its price, and I've found myself having a lot of fun with it. Also I love that they are leaning hard into the propaganda satire from the movies!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

davecrazy posted:

What in the Fortnite is this garbage?

CoH3 more like DoW3

Lol, this is mild compared to the anime skins for COH2.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

This looks pretty neat. Sounds like it'll be a sort of Age of Mythology-inspired RTS set around the Northern Crusades. Graphics look kinda Warcrafty tho.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328990/Godsworn/
Judging from the videoclips, it definately looks to be close to WC3 in terms of gameplay, but a bit more "lethal" if that makes sense. I personally prefer the more intuitive and chonky combat of the cnc series, but ill keep an eye on this one.

Assessor of Maat posted:

generic crusaders with generic angelic backup VS vikings with marvel's asgard 'baltic pagans' is not thrilling me as an initial hook

comes across like they wanted teutons VS vikings early on then realised that's the wrong set of atrocities for the bucket helm pricks to be doing, but didn't want to throw out the concept art they'd finished either

Sir this is a game thread

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 5, 2022

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

Finally picked up that Starship Troopers RTS. It's fun! A big emphasis on positioning since most units can't just shoot through one another unless they've got grenade launchers or are physically higher up. Very little basebuilding and no real resourcing (you're basically just juggling around different unit caps) if that's what you're looking for, however. And for anyone wondering if the devs got the satirical side of things, well in one mission you're chasing down a mining union leader and defending a prison base so that his execution can be televised live. :v:

The obvious disparity between the propaganda briefings and the actual situation on the ground is hilarious at times. My favorite part is the briefing where you see a map with a tiny green zone with like "this is us" and all around it is a huge red zone saying "Bug containment zone".

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah, loving the crisp 2d graphics and crazy vehicle designs. Looks straight outta the 90s (in a good way!)

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

doctorfrog posted:

In every strategy game I play, I want to play against an AI that almost beats me, but instead I just barely beat it, and feel real good.

I dream of a RTS where i can tailor the AI to my liking. Just something simple as having slides you can adjust. For instance adjust the AI's preference for certain unit types or wether its aggressive or turtle-like in its gameplay.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Arrath posted:

Yeah!

At the very least, a truce timer. That way I can seer up impenetrable walls for the ai to smash against.

Cossack 3 has a truce timer. I like to use it for exactly what you described.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Deakul posted:

How is this anyways? I have it but I was sort of put off by the number of different resources you had to manage for it being an RTS.

I have dyscalculia(dyslexia but for numbers) And ressource management can be tricky for me in most RTS games. Thankfully the ressource managing in Cossacks is what i would call macro rather than micro. Mines and wood never run out, so once you got your industry set up, its only a question of keeping the mines topped up with upgrades and additional peasants, and it will chug along in the background while you focus on fighting!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

Some gameplay of that Petro WWI game, more focused on the overmap game than the RTS part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEheOH6lWGc

Ooh, this looks promising. Kinda like a mix of Hearts of iron and Total war.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

toasterwarrior posted:

It's janky but honestly not as bad as I feared. Very similar to Generals in that respect, lol. Infantry has "momentum" in that they can't turn on a dime, and in effect it makes them feel like tiny vehicles in a way. I'm still hopeful, at least.

The writing and VA direction is very "English wasn't our first language" tho, but it's all technically competent and correct, if not perfectly natural sounding.

Did you notice if veterancy for units is included in the game? In older CnC games, units had veterancy, and it was fun to try keeping units alive until you had a horde of elites you could smash everything with.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

limp_cheese posted:

I finally finished the Starship Troopers DLC. I have mixed feelings on it.

I do like the new units on each side, with a special shout out to the armored bug that shoots fire and goes all kamikaze when it runs out of health and the unit that counters that the melee only exo suit with the self heal. The exo suit is great as its pretty big and has a lot of health so putting it in a chokepoint means the bugs won't get past. The bugs also have 2 new flying units, 1 that has good range and will plink at your guys and a pack of Scourge from Starcraft. There are more human units but I didn't play with them enough to really say much about them.

That brings up the other thing, the new campaign is short. The new maps and missions are fun but when it ended it really felt like there should have been another 2 missions at least with how the story went. I think there is 5 or 6 missions in this campaign and at no point are you able to play with all the new units on a map. Hell, 2 units don't get unlocked until you are almost done with the last mission.

I do like the simple story. Its about a corporation using mercs as security, but finds they are too expensive so they call the government to send the the Mobile Infantry. The mercs and Mobile Infantry are constantly butting heads and honestly, I agree with the mercs. There's also something about the corporation using technology to placate the bugs but that goes nowhere.

I'd say for the $10 I paid it was worth it, I just expected more. If you liked the base game and want more I would suggest picking it up.

If you havent so already, I can recommend checking out the community made content for the game. One modder has managed to recreate the campaign from Starship trooper; terran ascendancy, complete with voice acting, and its pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Playing RTS multiplayer stresses me out something fierce. I hate it. But I love to watch commentary videos of strategy matches. The duality of man or something i dunno