Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Happy Hedonist posted:

I would like to play co-op AI War. I just reinstalled it a few days ago and realized it's been a long rear end time since I've played it because I'm completely lost. Anyone else interested in trying to schedule a clueless newbie game?

Hmmm... I've got a busy couple of days in front of me but after that I could entertain the ideal

So, Fantasy General 2 briefly popped up on my radar with good reviews, but then dropped back off my radar hard. I've seen more Dominions 5 streams than FG streams in the past week. Any goon opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

AI War came up a while ago; following up on that with this:

AI War 2 is out, got it on a pretty major markdown between the sale (till november 1st) and steam coupon. It's good, though the changes to a fleet system are taking a while to soak in.
There's already a Thotmix LP in progress, though I haven't seen a general games thread yet.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901855

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

For co-op RTS gaming there is AI War: Fleet Command. It pretty much is the definition of long-form campaign. I’m not sure if I’d recommend it in the case of an 8-year old, however- not even considering it has a sequel now (co-op not yet implemented).

The learning curve is going to be rough, especially if you both pick it up at the same time. The graphics are underwhelming as well. Soundtrack is great but not typical 8 year old stuff. I’ve had fun playing it with my 60+ year old father, but I had to help him figure things out occasionally.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Kris xK posted:

I keep hearing how glorious Endless Legend is and finally dived in. Are there any uptodate guides or newb friendly playthroughs that anyone would recommend?

One recommendation I hear a lot is to start with the expansion content off. I’ll see if I can turn up something this evening but are you working with the base game or all expansions?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Along those lines anyone mind commenting on Disciples? I’ve only played Disciples II, which struck me as an interesting cross between HoMM and Ogre Battle.

Disciples III wasn’t that well received but there are enough differently subtitled versions (and sales) I wonder if I should give either them or 1 a try.

If you like card games and homm there is the Etherlords series. Etherlords II is the better game but it is a bit less strategy and a bit more RPG (with a single party focus that makes decks a lot less of a hassle to keep up).

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm fascinated, but is there any reason to play Master of Magic when Dominions exists?

Yes. Is there any reason to play Master of Orion when Stellaris exists?

More interesting heroes, hands on combat, unit customization enhanced by more enchantment options and customizable artifacts. Not just which ones you slap on them, you get to make them like Age of Wonders.

While a game can go on long enough, the barrier to entry is lower. About half my games of dominions end in the decision overload of character creation.

It’s a bit more like civilization mixed with age of wonders, while dominions is more like master of magic mixed with slitherine’s Spartan.

Dominions and it’s combat can be pretty fun, but it’s never hands on.

A simpler way to put it is apples and oranges, both tasty fruit, but one is a lot juicier and the other much more crisp.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I bought TA on a lark because I do on occasion like macro-focused, more strategic scale games where the resource collecting takes a back seat to combat management. ...

(I don't think you can set rally points which is... unfortunate) but nothing that I think would cripple my enjoyment.

What do you mean no rally points? Let alone rally points, I distinctly remember setting up an automatic patrol route from a factory dedicated to producing cheap scouting planes and a few cheap fighters in an unending, hands-off loop.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Ratt posted:

Does anyone know of some good play by email strategy games? I've been playing Age of Wonders 3 with friends, but we've been wanting to try something different. I've been eyeing the Dominions series, but I don't think they'll be down, not sure what else is really out there.

Is Laser Squad Nemesis still a thing? Was it ever a thing? I vaguely recall registration and subscriptions, and then something about going free - and the original website is completely down as well.

While not actually play by email Blight of the Immortal and Neptune’s Pride spring to mind as a slow paced online multiplayer game, and they’re free to try and actually now on steam as well instead of abandonware like LSN
Developer’s page, Ironhelmet Games

If I recall, Neptune’s Pride is more prone to treachery, conquering the universe kind of thing. While Blight leans more towards competitive cooperation against the fantasy zombie hordes.

There may be another sci-fi card-based conquest game I just cannot recall at the moment.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

victrix posted:

I'm trying to dig up a game on steam and for the life of me I can't find it

Here's what I can remember:

Turn based, hex grid, bright colors almost mobile looking, maaaaybe elemental factions (can't remember specifics), Asian devs (but I don't know which country or language).

I can't remember if it is or was in EA, and I don't know the exact release date but I want to say within the last year or two.

Not a lot to go on, I've been scouring steam and I can't find it again :saddowns:

What’s the most anime wargame I can think of?
War of the Human Tanks

Now, you didn’t say anime-style, and this is four years old, but not a lot to go on here.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

untzthatshit posted:

PSA: Planetfall is half off on GOG right now. So you can cop the premium edition for $45 or just the base game for like $7. There's been 2 expansions since I last played this so I'm looking forward to playing some space lizards with lasers!

The lizards are good, but they do have a bit of fragile start, with a lack of early defense mods. They have other things going for them, though.

Also, there have been various balance changes but one post-release feature I’m obliged to point out if you join any goons in mp (we’re mid-end a mini tournament rn). You can now manually retry an auto-resolved battle if something key dies. Pretty helpful in keeping 1v1 both quick and not vulnerable to a low threat indie clearing. There’s some customization in game setup but it defaults unlimited in sp. It’s really goddamn nice.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Huh, I didn’t expect this age of empires 2 content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnKnujTwchE

https://www.pcgamesn.com/age-of-empires-ii-definitive-edition/doom-mod

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Because of Actraiser Renaissance existing, I was finally reminded of Smelter, decided to try that game out instead.

The tier 2 zones are kicking my rear end hard, in what's probably a good way?
The eastern region has some kind of lost woods style maze going on that I need to figure out and stop space from warping.
The western region has moving electric traps - I'm sure I have all the necessary movement techniques to clear it, but I don't have the personal skills to pull it off yet.
The northern region was tough, but I improved enough to reach the boss. The problem is I can't figure out how to handle the boss yet. The checkpointing system is good, and I could try the boss as much as I want when I reach him, but I'm exhausted from the day and getting through the dungeon first - and can't do a proper save mid-dungeon. So I've got to get back there and through while not being dead tired, so I can figure out what to do. Probably going to have to shelve it till I have a good day to tackle it with my full wits.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Good to see the RTS engine from Space Rangers branching out into new places

I’ve kind of blocked that part of Space Rangers from my memory just like I blocked those missions from generating, but I have an inexplicable feeling of impending doom and desolation.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Gamepad gameplay Reluctant Recommendation in response to above request
Oaken, a tactical deck builder

Honestly, I can’t recommend it because A) I haven’t tried it, though I want to B) it has left early access, but not long enough for 1.0 reviews C) doesn’t quite look like those other games, especially with the deck focus.

It’s on PC and Switch and Xbox, takes place on a small hex grid, currently at a low price, and has a variety of different win conditions for each map. There’s also a demo out I’ll probably check out within three hours.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Oaken demo on switch follow up: while functional, I don’t think it fits the “great controls” requirement. Especially since the deck building component isn’t part of the request.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I’ve been wondering if there were any especially entertaining Lets Plays of Shadows of Forbidden Gods either on the forum or off site. Didn’t spot any dedicated threads with the forums search, so I’m wondering if the community has any particular suggestions for post 1.0 release content. Being informative or correct or skilled is good but optional, I’m particularly curious about if anyone knows about content especially focused on the storytelling.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

It is hard to keep things straight, but there’s nothing I can recall and nothing I can easily find. I could do a deep dive on individuals, but a few more generic searches didn’t reveal anything in five-ten minutes

I mean, it’s easy as hell to find something about Dead Island or Factorio

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Oh, yeah it doesn’t sound great

Battle Brothers FAQ posted:

WHAT ABOUT BATTLE SISTERS?

Adding female characters would mean a considerable work-load when we want a whole lot of other things in the game, too, many of which could be considered more important additions. The main hurdle is that the game consists of more than 250,000 words at last count, all of would have to be edited in a way as to account for both sexes.

That being said, if we’d ever add female characters into the game, they’d come with their own backgrounds that take into account how a quasi-medieval world treats them, so they won’t just be male characters with different heads. Just like their male counterparts, some would be more and some would be less suited to the hard life as mercenaries. Here is a preview of how they might look.

I try not to read much into my entertainment but even under the best interpretation the bolded sentence doesn’t like the smartest angle for an all-male team team to tackle in this particular medium compounded with the questionable accuracy of sources from that time.

I admit reading some video game stories that tackled historical attitudes with some care but they weren’t strategy games, which we all know are paragons of story telling.

Tangent; anybody remember the story of Haegemonia: Legions of Iron? As much as I liked the game, that was some the most laughably bad characterization I can recall.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmyes: I forgot about Big Berthas :doh: One of my favorite strategies was to sneak a T2 hovercraft builder out into a remote area and build a shitload of defenses and 2-3 Big Berthas. Enough of a threat they had to be dealt with, but not necessarily a big resource loss for me, and opponents always took big losses attacking my firebase.

:lol: why was TA kingdoms so bad

I don’t think this is the opinion of either side, but in my opinion hot take it was bad because the campaign was bad and the campaign was bad because it switched between factions frequently. Warcraft 3 had the same core flaw. As for multiplayer, that was completely irrelevant in the dark times prior to broadband internet or more specifically the ability to coexist with a landline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Dramicus posted:

Hey, that looks neat. I'll pick it up next time it's discounted.

It has a Let’s Play here on the forums.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987644

I highly recommend it. Highly underrated, it is not a timeless classic but I easily got 131 hours out of it.