Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Argue posted:

Also, prediction: whenever they all end up back in the afterlife, Simone will be there (because time is meaningless and she was pulled from whenever she died). Or, this would probably not fit in with the themes of the show but I feel Simone is someone who would totally want to study all the scientific aspects of this whole deal if she were to find out.

My guess right now is that at some point they end up back in the afterlife, all having managed to become better people and are being sent as a group to the Good Place. Simone isn't with them however which leads to Chidi not wanting to take the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was so enamored with the glimpse I got of Ted Danson's awesome ponytail I didn't even realize it was him shouting that!

The part I loved about that was that Kamala just accepted all the praise like she really did save Tahani. I'm really hoping we see her in the afterlife at some point because I don't know if it'd be funnier if she wound up in the Good Place or the Bad Place.

Many of the criteria seem to be on the impact your actions had on other people rather than your intent. See Chidi going to the Bad Place despite always trying to do good and Mindy getting a buttload of good points for the good her foundation did after she died.

I can totally see Kamala going to the Good Place by the rules they use.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zil posted:

True, I just meant that he may not be able to avoid his natural instincts to be an absolute dick to anyone and everyone around him.

Natural tendencies to be a dick, or to do what is fun?

The best way to drag them down would be to be a fun friend who tells them "no you don't need to change you're all already perfect as you are now who wants some cocaine."

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tarlibone posted:

So let me get this straight:

This menu contains items like "Grand Canyon Dog: A two foot 'freedom' baguette, hollowed out and filled with hot dogs, mac & cheese, bacon and our world famous brown mustard and spicy wasabi chilli. Served with an onion ring tower and our world famous apple ranch dressing" and "Ol' Faithful: Every 10 minutes your water will fire a blast of our world famous beefy beef chilli into your mouth from a fire extinguisher. We will keeping [sic] firing until you tell us to stop!"... and your takeaway is that the prices are unrealistic?

(I'm just kidding. My takeaway was that they didn't use an Oxford comma, and there are other grammatical mistakes.)

That's actually what stood out to me as well.

Here's a worrying thought, on Earth Michael and Janet are mortal right? Is there any way they can accumulate good points given they know the rules?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Klungar posted:

They do indeed digitally merge shots of actors from different takes in over the shoulder and even side by side shots, according to their digital effects guy.

If I recall correctly MEJ hadn't even realised they had done that to a scene he was in.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Looking at the episode titles on Netflix, I'm really interested in episode 7: Reboot 445*

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

At the risk of extending this line of discussion, they actually have an interesting conversation on the podcast about if they feel okay talking about Wills bod.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

xerxus posted:

The group's motivation is no longer corrupt since they're trying to save people expecting to not get rewarded for it.

It's the opposite of Eleanor trying to score points to get into the good place. They're doing good despite "knowing" they're not getting points, which is precisely why they're gonna get points. (Unless they realize this and corrupts it again.)

Do they get a cut of good points given for acts done by people they motivated to do good, like some supernatural Amway?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Renaissance Spam posted:

I've been playing around with idea; namely that the bad place immortals are actually humans and this is all a "second level" of life where the sadistic bastards just stay there but those who question the system eventually move up the ladder towards whatever level 3 is.

I still keep coming back to the demons who insisted Chidi was someone they had worked with centuries earlier.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Jamil proves she is amazing once again.

:nws: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqFl4ODFu7s/ :nws:

https://twitter.com/taxmanwesman/status/1062025304414261248

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

General Dog posted:

Why does Eleanor never try to say “gently caress” or “poo poo” anymore

2+ years of trying to be a better person.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I kept trying to catch a glimpse of Janet's stunt double, and that hairstyle must be a huge benefit to anyone shooting an action scene, it was always flying around obscuring her face.

Good try, but I don't know if it's really accurate. Did Janet download the numbers on a roll of lottery tickets sent to a random convenience store? I think it's more likely that she knows everything, but sometimes the writers slip up or have to ignore that to make a scene work.

My personal unsubstantiated working theory is that she's a bit like a computer, and she's got a perfect knowledge of the area she's in loaded into RAM, but would have to access her cloud drive to get more than general info on stuff she doesn't have loaded.

When Janet was giving relationship counselling to Jason and Tahani she had to take a moment to process all the information about it and slip into a mode where she could properly use that information so it makes sense that even if Janet knows a bunch of facts about Dougs life she wouldn't put it all together into an understanding of what those facts actually mean in terms of a day to day human experience until she experienced it herself.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

Think of Mindy as maybe a pilot program for the psychological torture experiment. How horrible would it be to be told that you ALMOST made it into the Good Place, leaving you to linger forever alone in limbo, knowing every moment that any one teeny action you could have taken in your life that added even a couple good points might have tipped the scales and gotten you a ticket to eternal bliss?

There are some Christians who hold up this as their concept of what hell is.

Your torture is being told the rules of the universe and that you hosed up your chance to get into heaven and can never undo it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Apologies if this came up back when the episode first aired, but I just got linked to this solution to the Trolley Problem and it's absolutely perfect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

One of my end of show theories is that they will end up transforming the Bad Place from a place of punishment to one of rehabilitation and learning where everyone who arrives there gets taught to be better people.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pushing Daisies would have smashed a third season and I still hold out hope a decade+ later.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

D'archive Garden deserves all the awards for that.

The only possible flaw with that episode is that the humans seemed remarkably chill regarding the fact they were apparently now dead and in the afterlife with magical Janet powers. Eleanor is the only one with any afterlife memories after all, the others have only seen a couple of portal doors up to this point.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There's a video up on the Good Place Facebook page where D'Arcy talks about making this episode and we see some of the footage from the practise version they made with the cast actually playing out their roles.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oh poo poo, that's Schur's twitter account? I keep seeing things pop up from it and had no idea.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

guys guys!

Mindy Saint Claire

:aaaaa:

Holy shirt.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't get why people are trying to figure out the logic of how time flows there when the entire point of their explanation was that it shouldn't make sense to us.

It's like asking what the current time is in the Good Place series on anyones individual screen right now. It could be before any of them died, it could be the last episode, it could be the last episode and then straight after a clip of the 121st reboot depending on what someone plays.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, a casual Australian viewer could not even realise it's an NBC Shoe, each episode even starts with a "Netflix Originals" card.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

On the subject of episode lengths, they've mentioned on the podcast they have different length versions of episodes. On Netflix are we getting the longest ones?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For anyone in their 20s it totally would be though.

Hell, I'm mid 30s and I have only seen a handful of Cheers here and there.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tequila25 posted:

Obligatory “We’re in the Bad Place!”

That is so perfect.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

pwn posted:

It may be a case of the Casablanca Effect, where the show was so groundbreaking that its influence has become entrenched in the fabric of those shows which have succeeded it, thus rendering it unremarkable to a new viewer.

This is like me and Seinfeld. I never watched it when it was first airing, and now going back while I can recognize that it must have been amazing for its time and had a lot of influence, I've seen other shows do the same things better now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

team overhead smash posted:

It seems more like the Good Place committee is ineffectual and bureaucratic but very much about thinking and being aware of the harm they are causing and certainly non-hypocritical. They're spending several hundred years to slowly work through the process of an investigation to a ridiculously rigorous degree so that they make sure it it unfailingly good without any unforseesen negative consequences.

It's slow and ineffective by any normal timescale, but completely in line with the universe's moral system where people have to beware of unintended knock-on effects of their actions.

You can even raise philosophical questions that justify their caution and long consideration times.

Chidi argued that since his memories were erased, he wasn't the same person who had previously fallen in love with Eleanor. So when you determine someone actually belongs in the Good Place and not the Bad Place, just erase their memories and reboot them there. At that point you essentially have two different people, one who was in the Bad Place, one in the Good Place. As a trolley problem style question, isn't it a worthy tradeoff that one person spends a few extra decades in the Bad Place they don't deserve so that you can ensure someone else gets to spend infinitely longer in the Good Place they do deserve?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oasx posted:

Given that we now know the system is flawed, I wonder how many of the four humans would still end up in the bad place under a more fair system (the people they were in episode 1).
Eleanor is a bad person but does she deserve to be tortured for eternity? Chidi is fundementally a good person who just has a little trouble making a decision from time to time, he should be in the good place.

Define fair.

All that said, they're lucky that Shaun seems to be really spiteful since if he had just let Michael's experiment play put on Earth they would have all ended up in the Bad Place after naturally dying.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Do people have guesses for the end of the season? If it's anything like the last two finales things are gonna get shaken up a lot again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Given that the Good Place hasn't had anyone new admitted for so long they probably haven't needed any new Janets for that long either and the Janet warehouse has got a bit neglected.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

double nine posted:

And the finale ends continues mid-way with Michael replaced by VikiMichael.

The fact we didn't see Michael tell Eleanor about that definitely makes me think it will come up again.

Also given that the trial is to last a year and have no resets I wonder what happens to the new humans if they figure out they aren't in the real Good Place.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarcEvanJackson/status/1087150333699051520

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, some revelation about Michael being a fallen angel with amnesia would end up confusing.

It would either be a case of neither he nor anyone else knew it, in which case it hasn't had any influence on the past few seasons, or the other demon higher ups knew and didn't get any alarm bells when a fallen angel started talking about his own Good Place but it's really for torture honest.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ashpanash posted:

Henry from Party Down.

Helmsman of the Defiant in First Contact.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Here's one I've just been thinking about.

Why did Tahani have no memory of her death in season 1? It's explained as the brain often forgets to protect itself, but that seems like too generous a thing for someone in any variation of the Bad Place. Was part of Michael's original plan that he would introduce it to Tahani down the line if he needed to knock her down a peg?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Harrow posted:

This all depends on how involves Schur is going to be in this new show. He's not very directly involved in Brooklyn Nine-Nine anymore, for example, but he is with The Good Place. He might be creating the new show but then stepping back to producing after the pilot or something. Or maybe he's going to leave more of The Good Place showrunning to one of the other writers, who knows.

In the latest podcast he talks about how his attitude towards writers when it comes to bug scenes is to avoid giving them more direction than necessary and is very complimentary towards Megan Amran and her writing. I wouldn't be surprised if we see her taking on more creative control.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Which scenes had bugs?

Was meant to say big. Whoops.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Coco13 posted:

A long time ago, Chidi and Eleanor used to be more than just friends, but he hasn't thought of her lately at all.

Is that too long for a S4 thread title?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The only real problem with Jason is that they showed us his home and he actually seems to come from a cartoon world. All the other characters seem to have grown up in our world, where as Jason literally comes from a place with monster truck taxis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For anyone needing a fix, D'Arcy Carden is part of a pretty good skit on Last Week Tonight this week.