Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

a.lo posted:

Hey Nintendo guess what? I hear you are planning a new Switch already not even two years after the first.

That bothers me greatly. I am a big Nintendo fan and I have bought all of your products first day. Whenever amiibos were announced I was the first one on them. I went to Walmart early in the morning to get one of the first Wii U in America (I have a certificate of authenticity). I preordered the Switch when ot first announced and still to this day a proud Switch owner.

Now 2 years later and with a child on the way you announce a new Switch? I don't know what the price is but I can assure you with a child on the way money is going to be tight.

Is this what is to be expected now? Should I wait an additional two years for another Switch? Nintendo for the first time I am dissapointed.

Sir this is a McDonald's drive through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've never owned a mario party game but I'm considering springing for that bundle with the green and pink joycons when it comes out, it seems quite well pitched at people who were hemming and hawing about getting a couple of new joycons

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mega64 posted:

The “intended” way is to go to the stable near Death Mountain and buy Fireproof Potions from one of the NPCs there, then use them and maybe do the lizard side quest along the way to get the helmet.

But it’s BotW we’re talking about, so however you can get it done is valid.

The recipe for the elixirs is on the wall of the stable as well and running around the stable for a couple of minutes nets you plenty of fireproof lizards, you don't even have to pay the girl for them. Of course I have thousands of rupees from hoarding ore, so the expense would have been minimal, but I'm stocking the cash for ~reasons~

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

If you accumulate 30,000 rupees before you get to hateno town, will the camp Hudson builder actually take it off you for the house before he discounts it to 3,000?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

In BotW is there any other sensible way to get to the top of Akkala tower other than paragliding from the top of death mountain? Like I did it on my first playthrough and again now, it just makes the most sense. The glide ratio almost perfectly gets you there, and the tower itself is wrapped in corruption so I don't think you can scale it normally.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

One ever so slight irritation with BotW is that on my current playthrough even being careful not to gate myself out of them, I've managed to miss photographing a mighty lynel crusher. I know I can pay the guy for the photos but I was making a specific effort to do it all myself. I'd travelled to Faron early to get the red spear and crusher lynels there, then continued with the game, covering the east of the map, while periodically travelling back to Faron to see if the lynels had upgraded yet. When I got to Akkala and found blue lynels near the tech lab I travelled back to Faron and now all the lynels are fuckin white. I guess the threshold between blue and white lynels is much narrower than I thought.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 18, 2018

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Looking up the data, it's because of the guardian killing spree I went on after getting the ancient arrows. Just defeating the guardians around Akkala tower, the quarry and the labyrinth is enough to level the enemies twice and go straight from blue to white lynels.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

CommaToes posted:

So I bought a switch and got Mario Kart 8 and Overcooked 2 so I'd have something to play with my girlfriend, but I feel they're better served as multiplayer games.

Are there any good pick up and play for a little while and then put down type of games? Something where I can just play for a bit but still make progress? I realize this is a bit of a broad question, but I'd love suggestions.

Super Mario Odyssey is great for this, I played it on short bus journeys collecting a moon or two and feeling some accomplishment even in that short time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't find the last memory on the list (the one with just forest trees). I looked up where apples are found and searched Hyrule Field and Necluda but to no avail. And I can only find Pickago at Kakariko Village.

You've seriously never seen him at any of the stables?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Kly posted:

I just got zelda a day or two ago, got very sidetracked and ended up in some rainforest after using ice blocks to get to a way too hard combat trial shrine on an island. I spent about an hour in this jungle before finally finding the tower (which was on the opposite side of the area from where i came in) and i see this giant yellow serpent thing diving in and out of the water from where i JUST came from.

Was that thing there the entire time and i somehow missed it or did it just spawn when i turned on the tower?

It spawns at a certain time of day and travels round on a set schedule.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Thought you nerds might appreciate my pumpkin carving effort this year

Unfortunately it will soon degrade, much like the weapons in the game

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 1, 2018

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I don't understand how the physical games aren't considered portable

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Do you really not?

No. They're tiny. Anyone who is carrying their switch around presumably has a case, which will also have room for plenty of games in there. Like obviously I see how digital is preferable, especially for the smaller indie titles more suited to playing in smaller bursts and regularly swapping between them, but for the bigger mainstream games I play for hours at a time then it's really very little inconvenience to spend 10 seconds swapping a game card around. Especially when that game card can be bought a lot cheaper than digital releases and also retains its value if you want to sell it on.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Hence why I said it's for scrubs :smug:

'Why' following hence is totally redundant :smug:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Does anyone have experience ordering from aliexpress, regarding delivery times to Europe and more importantly authenticity of the product? I’m tempted by the 8bitdo SF30 and it’s a bit cheaper on there, and also it looks like the official model has changed slightly to resemble the SNES controller less. Plenty of sellers on aliexpress still have the better looking originals.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks to those who gave me advice about ordering the SF30 Pro from aliexpress. I ordered it because all the ones on German amazon came from China anyway. I’m hoping the price comes under the minimum threshold before they add fees and import tax into Luxembourg but even if they do I think it’ll be worth it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Amazon.co.uk sold Diablo 3 for the Switch for 25 £ so i caved in and got it...again...for another system...even though i already own it on other systems...You guys did this to me!
Need to finish Mario vs Rabbids quickly now before it gets here!

Hmm when was it at that price?

Meanwhile Mario Rabbids gold edition is currently £25, I'm thinking it's worth ordering it and having it delivered to my family home even though I won't be there to collect it until Christmas

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hmm when was it at that price?

Meanwhile Mario Rabbids gold edition is currently £25, I'm thinking it's worth ordering it and having it delivered to my family home even though I won't be there to collect it until Christmas

Someone tell me to do this please

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

...What reviews? The only official one is ign, and they say it's a great port with controls that work well once you get used to them. User reviews seem positive too apart from a few people hung up on the lack of multiplayer

Edit: and also general reviews from people like the poster above, complaining how it's worse than the last one but I thought this was a common phenomenon with each new civ

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 17, 2018

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I just got bayonetta 1 and 2 and started playing them for the first time and it’s a good job the gameplay is fun because the presentation is seriously annoying - big titty anime witches are one thing but the incredibly irritating sidekick and lovely cutscenes nearly made me switch it off before I even got to the actual game

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Takoluka posted:

It's literally "what if tank fighting was a school sport," and that's it. Like, what if World of Tanks was real and was fun IRL.

/

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Pierson posted:

I'm wavering between a 128GB and 200GB sd card with these deals. On the one hand the 200GB is only £10 extra but on the other hand when am I ever gonna be playing more than like three 'big' games on Switch at any time? Even major Switch games aren't generally THAT big.

Get the 200 and tell yourself it’s fine because it’s as cheap as the 128 is for most of the year. I just did. Also there’s shitloads of good indie stuff on the switch that will quickly add up.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Get the 256, it's the best value

Not in the uk it ain’t

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm someone who hasn't played a Doom game since Doom II...well, I hosed around on Doom 3 on that Xbox360 bundle game thing but that's about it. How does the new Switch game hold up? Are the controls pretty intuitive? Is it meant to be played in handheld mode or does it work better on the dock?

I don't have a Pro controller but am probably biting the bullet pretty soon.

I don’t have it on the switch but just get it, it’s a lot of fun and easy to pick up. Although I’d say if you have another console and can get it much cheaper for that then do that, unless you’re desperate to play it on the go. But if you’ve just got the switch then go wild, everyone says the gyro controls work well with it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I really liked the use of the Gamecube triggers in Rogue Leader - varying degrees of pressure controlled your speed, with the final click either opening or closing your ship's s-foils, if it had them

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

strategery posted:

Anyone actually own a switchcharge? 4x the battery and an actual good stand sounds good but concerned about bricking.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/switchcharge-a-battery-case-for-nintendo-switch#/

Battery packs don't brick switches, it's third party docks when the switch is pulling more power that creates issues

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Someone talk me into or out of buying broforce and rocket league for £9 each in the sale

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Andrast posted:

Both own a lot. Do it.

I have an Xbox I could get rocket league on but it's £15, are the better graphics worth the extra money or is the game fine on the switch

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks for the advice, I doubled down on rocketforce. I tried a little bit of warframe earlier, would I be right in saying it has a feel of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer? I played a lot of that back in the day and had a lot of fun with it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Ok I've missed a few games recently so didn't have much basis for comparison. That said it seems fun and I'm looking forward to playing some more!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It's 3am and I can't stop playing rocket league send help

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

It broke record U.S. sales for the history of Nintendo systems. Doesn't that show the exact opposite? :confused:

...when it was on sale, or included a game for the same price

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I bought Hollow Knight shortly after getting my Switch before summer and only played it for half an hour because I was distracted by Odyssey, Mario Kart and Zelda I also got at the same time, and I just got round to playing it again and uh, yeah, I see why you guys wouldn’t shut up about it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

KingSlime posted:

It's a solid little device, definitely the strongest portable ever made. But I can't argue with the notion that a console form factor would have offered more horsepower than a tablet configuration, something closer to PS4/xbone output.

And if they had done that, there would be absolutely nothing distinguishing the platform and you wouldn't have had nearly as much support across the spectrum for porting games to it, which would have stopped it appealing to anyone but the usual Nintendo nerds. Zelda and Mario would have sold a decent amount of consoles initially but sales would have nosedived after. They really struck gold with the hardware.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Can't attest to those pads, but I did receive my SN30 Pro recently and not having had a 3rd party controller since the days of the N64 I'm very impressed with this. It's just a really nice and well made bit of kit, doesn't feel cheap or knockoff at all but is nice and light and portable and the D pad feels great with Hollow Knight.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I don't want much feedback or any spoilers but as much as I've sung hollow knight's praises, I'm at a point which is just frustratingly terrible rather than just very difficult.

I figure I'm very close to the endgame, having unlocked all the dreamers and the full nail/dream nail, having most of the charms, all but 1 of the worms etc and I'm going around the map finding all the secrets and things previously gated to me before I fight what I assume is the final boss. I've enjoyed most of the challenging parts very much, always feeling like there were very high thresholds of skill required for some of the bosses but that ultimately any time I failed was down to not being good enough or having an appropriate set of charms.

However, I'm in the dream of the one King's guard way down near the hidden stag station. The platforming puzzles with instadeath grinders and thorns on all sides and absolutely minute tolerances to succeed loving blow. It's just antifun game design, compared to the artfulness of most of the rest of it. I know that whatever I'll get at the end of it probably isn't necessary to finish the game but I don't want to just ignore the challenge.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

That's actually my least favorite thing about using headphones with a PS4. Having to plug into the controller feels way more in the way than just having a jack on the console itself like the Switch does.

....you'd rather plug your headphones into the ps4?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Re: Hollow Knight, thanks for all the comments and pointers

My angst last night may have been borne out of the fact I was playing while tired and my coordination sucked, as I flipped the next couple of switches in the White Palace very quickly today. However now I’ve found the route to the path of pain and it’s kinda drawing me in. I’ve made some progress at reliably getting a decent ways in, and keep on pushing, although it’s obviously not easy. My question is if I want to ignore it and take the easier route, can I come back and attempt it again on this save file, or will I lose the opportunity forever (thus also the chance to 112% it) once I leave the dream? I don’t wanna know anything about whether the payoff is ‘worth it’ or anything like that, just if I have the option to go back to it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

No instead you apparently sit 1 metre away from the tv like a saucer eyed gremlin

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I fear the Path of Pain has become a Sisyphean task for me. I don’t remember a time I wasn’t pogoing off saw blades and dashing through minute gaps in contrived seemingly endless thorny caverns. A litany of vanquished foes has faded into distant memory. My only enemy now is myself. It has utterly consumed me.

I jest but it’s actually quite zen for me, which is weird because I absolutely balk at this kind of gameplay usually. It’s both a blessing and a curse that there are fairly regular soul statues breaking up the route; in that it makes the possibility of completion just maddeningly tangible enough to keep me going. My main concern is that until I finish it, it’s literally all I can play on my switch as I can’t quit the game and lose the progress. I made steady progress through about 4 or 5 statues last night until I hit a metaphorical and also physical wall of thorns and blades, which is where I’m still at tonight. The gradual swelling of the soundtrack with additional layers of music gives some impetus and gravitas to the slow progression. Even each failed run doesn’t feel like a loss, as I return with a slightly more honed idea of how to continue, the muscle memory incrementally more ingrained into my hands.

I don’t want to know how far I am or how much is left, I’m avoiding any guides or walkthroughs for this. I just wanted to share where I’m at with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Knorth posted:

Good luck small ghost and godspeed

So I just finished it, I assume, and dropped into a cavern with a couple of enemies. I bounced around dodging their hits and whittling them down, until I was struck and killed in one hit and sent right back to the bench at the start of the whole loving thing. My earlier zen evaporated, immediately supplanted by a core of white hot rage. I wasn’t fully healing because I didn’t expect to run into any fights, and I guess I must have dropped down to 2 health before the ‘succesful’ run.