Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was just gonna ask about TWEWY, is this a big deal? Never played but been into JRPGs lately so had that on my shortlist.

quote:

The World Ends With You: The Final Remix comes out on October 12 and apparently only allows touch controls while in handheld mode. According to the game’s Nintendo webpage, the game offers Joy-Con controls or touch controls, but seemingly not a combination of the two.. When the original released on the DS in 2007, a combination of face-button and touch controls were used so that players could direct the game’s two main characters simultaneously. The new version of the game apparently offloads this hybrid approach entirely, with users in Japan—where the game is already out—noting that the Joy-Con controls stop registering once they’re attached to the Switch. Unless the North American version is drastically different in some way, which based on reports from when the game was shown at PAX West it doesn’t, this means that in handheld mode it plays similar to the iOS port but with additional story content and a few other extra features.
Similar concerns about Mario Party in that link too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

a.lo posted:

it's for the switch dingus
Does the dingus work in handheld mode or only over Bluetooth

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just learned my 8bitdo SNES30 works on the Switch, this is so much better for Shovel Knight than even the Pro.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Pairing it sucks though, do you have a trick for that? I can only connect it when another controller is connected first so it always registers as player 2, then have to go to reorder controllers menu
Yeah I don't know of any, I didn't have a problem with it being controller 2, Shovel Knight didn't seem to care, but was annoyed once I wanted to go into sleep mode and had to grab the pro controller, out it down and then use that to turn it back on and re-pair the SNES30 to start playing again.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

there's a reason 90% of the player messages you'll see are like "try from behind"

Actually curious, what are the user messages and co-op/PvP like at launch on Switch?

Heath posted:

What is the most assless souls boss
Flexile Sentry

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I played Phantasy Star 4 via the Steam emulated version and vaguely enjoyed it, is the rest of the series worth getting into? I guess it's a different question of $2.50 in a Steam sale vs the $10 or whatever it'll be on Switch.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cool, thanks. JRPG is the genre I've gained the most affection for this gen between P5, DQXI and Octopath but it also seems like there's a lot of stuff that has some historical relevance that doesn't translate to actually worth playing now.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

Also what should I check out aside from Diablo and BotW and the other big-name titles (eg, Mario, Bayonetta, Xenoblade, Octopath)?
Mario is a must even if some people ultimately are less than wowed; the Bayonettas seem well-liked if you're into that kind of thing; Xenoblade and Octopath both are pretty divisive but praised for some specific aspects so a) make sure you're into JRPGs and b) check out if you're into the kind of JRPG that each is, watch some video or read a longer review before buying.

Mario x Rabbids is the one you didn't list that I think a lot of people would point you towards -- also a little divisive (some people didn't like its more there's-a-specific-right-answer puzzly take on XCOM) but probably more consensus liked than anything you mentioned other than Odyssey.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Speaking of which, is the onboard switch storage on an SD card that I would have to take out if I got a new one? Or is the 32 gigs or whatever hard storage?
That's internal, the SD is extra.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I thought Tressa and Alfyn best embodied the earnest "go see the world" spirit that was Octopath at its best and was glad I picked Tressa as my main; I'm not minmaxing or anything but once you get the last of her Merchant support skills and subclass her with Scholar you've got four elements (with the Scholar skills that hit everyone twice!) and three weapons at your disposal with half MP cost; equipping her for elemental attack she hits so goddamn hard.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

As an enthusiastic newcomer to JRPGs I thought the idea of one pivoted to put crafting at the center was appealing when I first learned of Atelier but then I watched a video of the one on Switch and like 30 seconds in schoolgirls were squealing as their alchemical experiments set their frilly dresses on fire and I slowly backed away from the computer.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Weedle posted:

If there’s any sign that Western culture is on a decline it’s that Windows 95 came with Hover and Windows 10 comes with Candy Crush.
Windows 10 doesn't even come with a Weezer video on the disc.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

John Lee posted:

Mike Jones!

Or didn't you hear the first time?
2018 Mike Jones gives out his Friend Code in his songs

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For the second controller do people suggest another joycon or going with a pro controller?
I'd say definitely Pro unless you specifically want the ability to split the Joy-Cons to have four controllers for multiplayer (in games that support that).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That looks sweet as hell but I'd like to see a third party get their hands on one and verify their claims about the USB spec and being safe from bricking before putting any money down.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

so since the game doesn't want to tell me yet, what's all this poo poo for that i'm picking up in the overworld or whatever in Mario + Rabbids?
Coins are for upgrades, occasionally you find a weapon that isn't otherwise purchasable (no big deal if you miss one) and the other stuff is just music/art for the gallery if we're talking about the same things?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Turn-based combat. Out of combat hit gets you initiative. The turn based combat is interactive during enemy's turn. I wanted to say JRPG but I don't know if that's quite right and didn't want to embarrass myself. It's been ages since I've played a turn-based RPG.
Yeah the first two at least are common in JRPGs. Octopath is turn-based combat but the encounters randomly occur as you walk on the map, so you can't initiate them; going first is a diceroll with some skills or items that can increase your chances I think. It's a very cool take on the turn-based combat so you might want to check that out.

Neither on Switch yet but you should keep your eye on the (confirmed but no release date) Dragon Quest XI and (just speculated but not baselessly) Persona 5 ports, which both feature turn-based combat with a reward for striking the enemy to initiate combat. (None of those offer anything active for the player to do on the enemy's turn though, if I understand you right.)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

Are eShop sales frequent throughout the year or is it worth stocking up further during these holiday sales? There are a few games I would buy on sale now if the alternative is waiting until next winter for them to drop again.
I would say it's of course no Steam and not quite on the level of PSN but eShop sales do happen more than everyone expects, if that makes sense? No guarantee the things you want will go on sale in the timeframe you're expecting and "on sale" might mean 30% off rather than 60% but yeah, sales come at a rate that was surprising to me, and cover both big first-party stuff and indies. Speaking for myself if I'm stocked up on stuff to play when something I'm ambivalent on goes on sale I just pass and wait for the next one.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sudden Javelin posted:

Is Lego Harry Potter prone to crashing or should I start to worry about my Switch?
I don't think anybody has a straight answer; Nintendo and Netflix both say they're obviously interested but never specify what the hangup is, presumably some licensing term so blame whichever party you'd like. YouTube only came recently.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Humble Store is selling digital Switch and 3DS games now, only in the US. Small selection of Switch but includes the big AAA Nintendo stuff and some indies. Nothing discounted right now but that's another place to keep an eye on and hypothetically maybe a Humble Switch Bundle in the future? PS3/4 bundles happen occasionally but they're usually pretty lame selections of like all THQ stuff.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anyone seen anything more specific on Slay the Spire's port beyond "early 2019"? Trying it on Steam after it got mentioned in another thread and liked it but it seems :siren: perfect for Switch and don't really mind waiting if it's around baseball season when my Switch spends a lot more time in my hands so I might just refund it. e: just one more turn'ed myself past two hours so I'm keeping it but still curious, could see myself double-dipping

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 19, 2019

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lawlicaust posted:

"Early Access" for PC ends next week and the game will be in full release. It showed up on nintendo's site a few days ago as a Switch title. I'm guessing it will be out in the next month or so.

In the mean time, absolutely play the PC version and then play the PC version with mods. The mods are really good especially some of the new class ones.
Sounds good, will probably grab it on Switch too. Very fun but could use a few more classes (mostly I just suck at it).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Scrap Dragon posted:

So I made the mistake of trying out the Octopath Traveler demo and uh... turns out it’s real good

How often does this game go on sale? :shepspends:
It's starting to turn up in physical and digital sales in the $40 range at about the rate you'd expect for how old it is, i.e. you might be waiting a month or two but it'll get there if you're looking.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Argue posted:

A lot of people play exclusively in handheld mode. (Incidentally, there's also a lot who exclusively play in TV mode, and then there's the majority of us, who like to ~switch~ things up), so yeah, it's totally fine in handheld.
Specifically here's that data from Nintendo (over a year old though)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t even need a Switch to play the latest version.

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Dance-2019-Wii-Standard/dp/B07DDD9CPN/
I do a double-take every time I see one of those in a store.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's a demo for it on the eShop, it's huge and covers the first 5+ hours of the game or so.
Oh thanks, I've always read every post about LoR with interest but never even thought to check if there was a demo.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Google the jumpgate, the thing is dope
Had anyone done a Benson Leung style deep dive on these to confirm they won't brick anything no matter what in the future?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

my buddy Superfly posted:

Downwell is extremely good and is only 3 dollars
"3 bucks? Never heard of that but like two positive posts are all I need to try anything at that price." new tab, pull up the eShop, 90 seconds later I pick up the Switch, start it, see the Devolver logo... yep good decision.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Have not actually gotten that far in the game but I loving love every one of the palette and background options in Downwell. This has to be the best $3 I ever spent.

Whats the minmax upgrades and weapons? Laser weapon feels most powerful to me paired with buying some extra charges, otherwise I need the laser sight upgrade.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Downwell loving slaps. It's like somebody time traveled to make an NES game that today we still speak of with reverence. It's $3, loving buy it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anybody got that Tetris 99 explanation reddit link handy? https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/aqgmwk/how_to_win_at_tetris_99_battle_royale_mechanics/

This is really fun except for the occasional game where you just get targeted by like six people early and have a screen full of garbage before you know what's happening.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 17, 2019

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ariong posted:

Don’t you DARE use any logical fallacies in this Video Game Debate.
Sir you have attempted an invalid Mariodus ponens

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Aww poo poo I wasn't thinking anything of the posts about how the Switch wifi sucks cause I wasn't taxing it too much, just Tetris 99 and a few downloads but tried the free Splatoon 2 today and disconnected from four of the five matches I managed to get into. Don't have an Ethernet option in this room and I'm not gonna bother with powerline plus the Switch adapter but at least I learned enough to keep from buying this or Mario Kart or Smash unless I intend to get a lot out of singleplayer/local. Game seems fun though.

I know the PS4 wifi is reviled too but I never have trouble with AC7 online. Just netcode?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Scorched Earth clone, 2d with modern QoL, skinned with Nintendo IP -- Bullet Bills, Pickachu lightning attacks, Bob-ombs, Link firing arrows, etc.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gone Home but it's... Wario figuring out that ... Jigglypuff is ... poly.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I knew Redbox was experimenting with Switch games but just noticed NSMBUD was available at basically every box near me -- and zero of the other Switch games they offer. Had a free code so tried it out today and the to me the art looks a lot better in motion than the overly clean, lifeless style it appeared to be in screenshots. Gameplay's fun but god do they need to get rid of lives once and for all and just zap you back to the last checkpoint. Cleared the first two worlds and kinda hit a brick wall at either of the options for the next one, ice or water worlds.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

How does that work? What kind of case do the games come in?
Same as a DVD/game case, just a little plastic bit in the middle that secures the Switch cart instead of the spindle for a disc to fit on.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mslxyJGjyZY

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

I knew he was top tier, but holy loving poo poo...
God waiting for them to drop an I down the hole was like edging

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Weird cause today I went back to MxR for the first time in months and immediately remembered how everyone thought the BEEP-0 control was so weird and I would have never given it a second thought if it wasn't already a topic of conversation? Like if I was describing the game to someone from scratch I wouldn't even think to mention that part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I hadn't heard of it but that review pushed all my buttons and I went to the eShop to at least wishlist if not buy but lol servers dead.