Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Waffle! posted:

You remember that Star Fox racing game that was rumoured two years ago? The one that fans have been all butt frustrated about because there hasn't been any updates on it? It's fake.

That's what they want us to think so they can double psyche us with a direct about next month, obvi.

I feel the Star Fox series has a lot of potential and continually falls flat on its face. Give me like a Shadows of the Empire in 2020 version of Star Fox, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh my god, Chrono Trigger DS is legit one of the best games I've ever played. I'm not into JRPGs at all, like pretty much every single one I've tried, I've bounced off.
Chrono Trigger is soo so good.

They need to port it to Switch so I can keep giving Square money for the same game over and over.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

RandomFerret posted:

I'm just sitting here thinking about how easy it would be to make a HD port of Megaman Legends. The flat cartoony textures would be such a quick job to upscale. There's even a PC port already available to base the code on. Boy would it ever be nice if somebody did that.

If they improve the camera and controls slightly I'd pay too much even if it were otherwise a straight port. I'd pay a stupid amount if they did a MML1/2 and Tron Bonne pack.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I predict that Earthbound stays dead. But they are making another solo peach adventure!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

bowmore posted:

they also announced that the metroid prime trilogy will be burger king exclusive

Finally there's a reason for there to be 3 Burgers within on square mile of my house!

Also is there a way for me to "git gud" at reflex based games at 29? I'm horrendous at like 90% of 2D platformers/metroidvania type games. I bought the legacy MegaMan collection and I'm getting absolutely stomped even with half cheating with the rewind button.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Noooo. Practice? It's learning to draw all over again.

Thanks all.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

If any of you are interested in some pretty okay budget games you should check out Rainsdowne Players and Hero Hours Contract. They're both less than $5 and have at least a few hours of content to enjoy.

Rainsdowne is like a weird rhythm/sim/adventure style game where you run a theatre. For the theater portion you pick your subjects and then have to dodge random objects being hurled at the stage. The other portion you wander around a small town to find more subject cards and get into general misadventures. That part plays more like an old SNES JRPG where you run around talking to pixel people and barge into homes and businesses without knocking.

I haven't gotten too terribly far into Hero Hours Contract but you play as magical girls trying to form a labor union. The main game play is a simple Fire Emblem like strategy game. Then you also get to wander around and talk to people to learn things and gain power ups.

If nothing else it's a nice shake up from the platformers and puzzle games that usually occupy the $5 and under slot.

They're both made by a man named Steve O'Gorman and unless mildly leftist sensibilities bother you (which is fair if they do, your business) I think they're solid games.

If you're mildly interested but don't want to even drop that level of cash you can wishlist them. Rainsdowne has gone on deep sale at least a couple of times and so I wouldn't be surprised if Heroes Hours did as well in the future.

Also if the seems to ad like or whatever let me know and I'll nuke the post. But I just genuinely enjoyed the games and wanted to plug them.

Bye!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Why are people in such a hurry to give Nintendo another $300+ dollars for essentially the same system? I mean the Lite at least filled a niche. Now they're just trying to get a few extra FPS and an inch or two of screen.

I hated how many weird variations of the DS/3DS their were.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

yellowyams posted:

i haven't played hhc yet, is the town exploration as substantial as in rainsdowne? because that was definitely the main thing i enjoyed rather than the theater minigames.

Haven't played enough to say. Though you do have a limit of social interactions between each mission which seems to tie into the boosts you get from your labor dispute.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The timeline of DS is wild. My memory makes it seem like the DSi came out in like 2010 at the death of the original DS. But it came out in 08 and had an XL companion a year later that I don't even remember.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

American McGay posted:

A 4K Switch makes no sense. A Switch Pro makes a lot of sense. Devs not named Nintendo are having a hell of a time putting out Switch games that run at 700p 30fps. You can only live off indie treasures for so long.

I kind of get the appeal there but if they don't make every game at least playable undocked then there's going to be issues and so that makes me wonder what the max power we can really put on docked games is. I guess a lot of these Switch games are good at scaling, but we will see.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

What Nintendo needs to do is learn how to make joy sticks.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

American McGay posted:

I don't think anyone is asking them to occupy the same space. But personally it would be nice to play Witcher 3 on a Switch without having it look like absolute garbage. They're always 1 or 2 steps behind graphically, but they're very soon about to be 4 steps behind.

They did come in at a wild time, to be sure. But I don't know if a full step up is feasible without them getting into another gen as well.

What would be neat is if we could get an add-on to the Switch itself for like $150 or something. Like the N64 expansion pack. But I feel like that would be its own cluster.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Oh h*ck!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

KingSlime posted:

Sell your old console, man!! You don't need every generation of GBA + modded ones with IPS screens on permanent display.

Keeping the old one for a homebrew'd switch would be sick... But I also have a spare pixel 4a that I was going to turn into an emulation device and honestly I might be better off with that and a nice attachable controller

I'm still dropping 150-200 easy. The resell value will sink if something that big comes out probably.

I'm not against the existence of a Switch Pro I just worry about the implications for the other versions, especially the Lite which can't dock at all.

I'd probably buy a Pro and give the Switch to my sticky handed stepkids.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

quote:

Same. Though I still think that the limited battery life is a good thing for my playing time. It presents me with a good hard limit to respect. Though I've noticed that Dragon's Dogma eats that battery like nothing else has in ages. FF VII-IX would let me play for hours without issue.

Oh yeah, more than any other mobile I've used you can clearly tell which games suck your battery to death and which don't. I probably get like a minute and a half per percent playing Skyrim or Assassin's Creed vs. like 5+ hours if I play Collection of Mana or simpler indie games.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Spacebump posted:

My normal model PS4 can't run the latest Assassins Creed game at a playable frame rate. Having upgrades on a console sucks. One model is better because of situations like that.

It's definitely going to be developer dependent, to be sure. Like I could trust them doing some Witcher 3 bump ups or putting like 25% more power into BoTW2 without shafting the mobile players. But then I can also see Ubisoft putting like Far Cry 4 and 3 on the Switch Pro and having it melt someone's Switch Lite.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I don't want VR until I get Bradbury's The Veldt.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

JohnnyBme posted:

Do I need to play any other Paper Mario's before Origami king?

I've only played the Wii one and the N64 one. But that experience tells me no.

They seem largely disperate and the way each plays changes notably, for better or worse.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Do the 8BitDos connect with the Switch easily or do I have to use additional peripherals? I used their wireless controller dongle for Steam/Gamepass games and it seemed to kind of have issues forgetting my controllers occasionally.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Maybe I'll give one a swing!

Would be nice for the VC games and the more retro packs like Collection of Mana or the MegaMan Packs.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

American McGay posted:

Retro packs suck because they're the exact reason the NES/SNES Online lineups are trash.

The Castlevania pack is pretty good though.

I don't entirely disagree. But there are still a ton of games not in those line ups that I feel Nintendo could be offering that they don't. Idk. Maybe I'm a didiot.

Like why isn't Earthbound on there? Isn't that entirely Nintendo's baby? Where's Mario learns Number and Letters?!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

It feels like if they wanted to let it go they'd quit putting them on the Smash series. Instead it's just a dumb reminder to us about a series just enough people want.

I feel like they could get Harvest Moon, SimCity 2000 and SimEarth if they really wanted to: for example. Idk.

You telling me Blizzard's really holding tight to that Blackthorn claim? Or is that 2 mature 4 kids? Idk.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 29, 2020

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I'm super late and not saying anything anyone doesn't already know but I finally got back to Mario Odyssey and drat it's a good Mario game.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I'm still legislating for another Peach game.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/EGPRCHAMP/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Mario starts with M
Monday starts with M
Mother starts with M

Mother 3 HD announced!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Quote posted:

A game called "Earthworms" is on sale for a penny. It's a point-and-click adventure game. I can't tell if the dialogue is poorly translated or deliberately obtuse, but it really has an eccentric charm to it. There's an undercurrent of horror under the watercolor veneer. Worth a penny, imo.

This is why I like the weird yard sale indie games that happen on occasion. You find a neat little weird title amongst the shovelware.

I'll check it out!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Len posted:

Wade into the comments and people are already reporting the leaks say there's a direct this week. They literally never learn so they?

I get enough of that from r/NintendoSwitch and that's where there's at least the lightest bit of moderation to hold the flood back some.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

What is the best place to just get like official Nintendo news into my veins without a lot of fluff articles and continual marketing tweets.

The Nintendo Twitter seems okay,but you get a lot of mobile game and ad posts in between. But that's been my usual go to.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Not a Children posted:

Gonintendo.com has been my go-to for literally 15 years now

This is almost comically undercomplicated for a site in 2020.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like it.

Seems a little more fleshy on desktop vs. the mobile page. But still very straight and to the point on a lot of stuff.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

SoR4 and RCG seem like fine beat 'em ups but we need the Scott Pilgrim game on modern consoles.

The world needs someone to do a good sequel to that Simpsons beat 'em up.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Rutibex posted:

the switch is a gameboy and playing FPS on a gameboy is dumb. the control nubs are too small

Playing most AAA on the portable screen is less than ideal and doubly so with FPS. It isn't too bad docked usually though.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Takoluka posted:

As a counterpoint, I have thoroughly enjoyed Turok 2 and Immortal Redneck in portable mode.

Wait Turok is on the switch?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

Another day has come and gone without finishing Xenoblade. Are there people who like their games to be like 30% beginning, 20% middle and then 50% end like this game is?

See also: Final Fantasy 15

Edit: Now it's a Mega Man style boss rush? What is this poo poo? I'm just hate-playing the game by now.

It's my favorite single player MMO!

Is this DE or 2? Or do they both kind of play like that? I just started DE the other day.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

The latest Mario 35th anniversary leak is “the Mario games are totally real and still coming out but they’re being pushed back.” I usually don’t follow video game leaks because they’re lame, and this is just more confirmation that they are lame (and almost always not true).

I feel like this Mario one has been going the entire year now. Good lord. At least there's some basis in reality for the Metroid Prime speculation, to my understanding. They haven't even said they're doing anything for Mario.

It's not like Nintendo was like. Woo boy! Big Mario announcement this year guys!

My most optimistic but still unlikely scenario is a bunch of Mario Switch games go on sale for $35. More than likely if there is a sale it'll be 35% instead, ehehehe.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's dumb to complain about subjects of conversation in a general chat thread, but I'd rather talk about how horny the Switch is, weapon durability, and really any other of the many subjects we've covered than mentioning leaks/leakers/ or dunking on them when they're inevitably wrong. It's as tired a subject as my complaint.

Good and Consequential Durability: Dark Cloud

Bad Durability: Breath of the Wild

*Stirs pot*

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

American McGay posted:

For years he was known as ValveNewsNetwork and originally tried to convince kids who loved TF2 that he was an official branch of Valve for press releases and new information.

Recently he's rebranded to NintendoNewsNetwork. I guess the Valve reservoirs have dried up these past few years.

That level of false representation seems like lawsuit city.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Spellman posted:

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but there's no multiplayer on the Switch version wtf

Felt ripped off tbh, I have the Steam version though which has it

Wait, what. I feel like Turok was one of the better multiplayer 64 games. Wild to not have the multiplayer. Especially if they're charging $20 for it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Nintendo still runs on 56k modems. That's why they don't like the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

quote:

Publishers moved from print to digital manuals to save print costs (and also to supply manuals for digital downloads) but they quickly realized that (or maybe, finally had the analytics to support) removing manuals that-nobody-reads would save on production costs in a market where costs keep rising and game prices don't.

I'm still salty that manuals are no more.

You also genuinely don't need them anymore. They used to be the place to put your backstory and controls. By the time we got to PS2 era games you were able to put most of that into the game without an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I like them for the flavor. But they are kind of an excessive item at this point. And the last couple gens have been mostly black and white 5 page manuals that tell you about seizures and how to start the game.

I also miss strategy guides but they're mostly extinct too between websites posting guides and the fact most games have tracking and mission markers now.