Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm still dreaming of a Worms battle royal. Giant map with 100 worms, 10% of them move at the same time so you don't have to wait too long, and the maps gets smaller and smaller each turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I tweeted this at the devs because your idea is really good and now I have to have it, they responded in like 2 minutes flat.

https://twitter.com/wormsteam17/status/1049654017054400513?s=21

Worms battle royale when?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Someone please keep me from buying Dark Souls 1 the third time.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kinda

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm too stupid to change the control scheme in smash ultimate, ama

seriously: is this a bug? I change the control scheme, but it never applies to the game, only to the test mode when you define the controls. what am I missing???

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Last game control changes were tied to your name profile in the game, are you using your name for each thing you're doing?

Am I right in this beeing case sensitive? Then yeah, I guess I made an error there. Thank you, kind sir :)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

After some smash party I woke up today and found two joycons missing one shoulder button. I never knew the switch can randomly despawn them...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I suck at smashing.

But it's a lot of fun.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Related. Kind of want to get this for the kids, but it would just be button smashing/basic controls, without combos or anything. Would they still have fun or is this something you need like SF/Tekken combo skills? Also how hard is it to unlock characters? I'd hate for most of the characters to be locked for them.

Also thanks to everyone whose been answering all my random questions, I really appreciate it.

I think the worst part about Smash is actually getting into it. I never played Smash on the Gamecube...I think the first Smash I bought was for the Wii (U)??? And I completely, 100% did not understand what was going on. Played couple of matches, and completely lost interest.

Same thing with Smash Ultimate now. First couple of fights I didn't understand a single thing that was happening, and I was basically "button mashing", and didn't understand why I was sometimes winning and sometimes losing. But since I have some time to waste now over the holidays, I kept at it, and one thing helped me tremendously: picking one fighter and stick with him until I understand the game better. I'm currently playing the ghost adventure mode with Mario (switched to him after I couldn't win some fights with Kirby), and am getting better and better. I also helped a lot when I found out that there is a skill tree, and that it's sometimes better to pick ghosts/sub-ghosts on your own to fit your strengths/weaknesses, instead of auto-optimize.

Imo, the game is rather hard to get into (to understand what's happening), but with every "click" in your head the whole thing gets better and better. For example, I never was a fan of the combos you have to learn in stuff like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter....in Smash they somehow come naturally, not like MK or SF (or I guess Tekken, never played that).

Unlocking characters happens while you play. Either you play in the single player smash and you get challenged by a new character every couple of fights, or you play the "ghost adventure" mode, where you have basically travel a huge overworld map, fighting stuff and unlocking characters while you go (plus ghosts that boost you during a fight). I played for 15 hours now (mainly Ghost adventure mode), and have something like 40 characters unlocked, I'd say 2/3 of them through adventure mode, the rest through random challenges in smash mode.

e: also, what's important imo in ghost adventure mode, if you are stuck at a battle, simply go somewhere else. I had battles were I was 100% there are unwinnable for me. Tried them a dozen times, and never even got remotely close to winning. Ignore them until later. You'll come back with a better skillset, better ghosts that can negate the opponents strengths, and a better understanding of how to equip sub-ghosts. Some of the "100% I will NEVER win this"-battles I then won without even breaking a sweat, simply because I understood all of the mechanics much better.

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 28, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Talking about Smash: is there a spirit that negates the "during the fight, defence is weakened" effect? I am currently at one of those fights against three opponents, and I simply can't deal out enough damage fast enough before my defense is so low that I am kicked out of the stage easily. Problem is the opponents are basically the perfect counter for Mario, but I hesitate to switch to a different hero.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So I purchased some stuff when it was on sale...

Listening to the Iconoclasts soundtrack once again, now playing on the device this game was made for, filled me with determination.

Then I starter my first game of Into the Breach. gently caress.....I never thought there could something close (or worse) to Civ "on more turn"....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

This weekend, I finally found some time to play stuff I picked up during some sales over the last few months.
Conclusion:

The Iconoclasts soundtrack still is one of the best soundtracks ever, and I enjoy playing the game for the third time (it's cool, and good, has cool visuals, great music and I don't care if people say it's not a proper "Metroidvania"....game is good)

Into the Breach. It's....sorry, I have to play another round, it's so....sorry, must play more....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

HenryEx posted:

As long as you don't touch the Nintendo folder, it should be fine. As long as whatever OS you use doesn't automatically go in and re-set all the file property archive flags on all files on the SD or whatever, it'll be all right. I have little to no experience with OSes asided from Windows, but i'm assuming others wouldn't.

OS X: hold my beer while I create some .ds_store files for you
(not sure if it still does that on removable drives, never checked, but I remember the look on the face of the windows domain sysadmin when I accessed their fileserver with my Mac many, many years ago, and it created thousands of .ds_store files in every directory on the server and every windows user complained about them)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

I recieved a Switch for my birthday, now what?

Put it in your mouth

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

My Switch decided today that it no longer wants to connect to the internet. I always get "DNS-resolution failed". Of course, nothing has changed in my network, and every other machine can access the internet fine, domain resolution also works.

I already restarted it...

Sucks, because I want to claim my Smash plant. Anyone got an idea on how to fix this? (it's connected via WiFi)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Resetting the router did the trick....strange, every other device worked like a charm

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

For someone who REALLY struggled with Path of Pain in Hollow Knight (I didn't count the hours, but I guess it was > 5 trying, and I didn't have much fun with it): is Celeste for me or not?

Watching LPs tells me: it's NOT for you, but everyone says it's a must play.

I'm not good at hardcore platforming (see time it took me to beat Path of Pain)....should I stay away from Celeste?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Elman posted:

I didn't bother with Path of Pain, it seemed unfun and unnecessarily punishing. I still 100%ed Celeste, and Super Meatboy for that matter.

That's not to say it's easy, but at least it has constant checkpoints so if you die you'll respawn in the same spot to try again. And it has really tight controls (Hollow Knight is amazing, but it's no platformer).

Yeah, Path of Pain was the point for me where I realized that the hardmode stuff from Hollow Knight is not for me, simply because I didn't enjoy it in any way. Was tough to get through, that's why I haven't touched any of the DLC stuff yet (outside of the Hive, which IIRC was also DLC?). I love Hollow Knight though.

So I guess I'll give Celeste a try! I just wanted to make sure it's not "Hollow Knight: Path of Pain - The Game" Thanks you all :)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Out of interest in regard to the MP4 reboot: what do you all think is the chance that the studio went more and more into a "unchartered"-direction, like metroid but with story and super awesome set pieces, cutscenes etc. pp., and after the awesome success of Smash Nintendo (again) realized, that the best thing is to simply give the fans what they want, and thus they decided to reboot it?

I know, this is super far fetched, but I have been thinking about that for couple of days now. What could they have done to MP4 so that Nintendo pulls the plug? It must be something so fundamentaly wrong that you need a complete reboot, even by another studio.

Basically another "other M", but better.....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

pixaal posted:

It's pretty bad, jump scares and constant switching between your flashlight so you can see and your gun. DOS DOOM I & II are far better games, and more scary than cheap jump scares.

The Doom reboot called "DOOM" is fantastic though.

BFG Edition removes the switching between guns and flashlight

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Looper posted:

list the snes rpgs you like more than chrono trigger

Shadowrun

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Just bought Diablo3 as it was on sale.

drat does that game play well on the switch! I was quite skeptic, but it's awesome.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Huxley posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Link to the rear end

sounds like a Southpark game

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tom Gorman posted:

oh my god this would work so well

start with a huge map and the circle closes in after X amount of time

To this day I mantain my opinion that battle royale worms would be awesome. Make it so that like 25% of all worms move and shoot at the samte time.

e: Bomberman would also be awesome, though

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I already tweeted this idea at them months ago. I have now updated it

e: oh, wait, yeah, that was the tweet inspired by my post :)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah it was. Someone in house at Team 17 has to have thought of this. They can ride the BR wave and now the Tetris BR wave all the way to the bank, come on !

Team17, do it! Do Worms Royale, ffs!!!!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish more UIs had big words I could actually read

To this day I don't really know how to control RDR2 correctly, because all the ingame tutorial-type thingies were so small that I couldn't read them, and disappeared too quickly.

I obviously need games which I can hold close to my face for reading.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

My niece is getting a Switch for her birthday, and I assume she will mostly play it undocked. What again was that protective shell/grip that the thread agreed upon to beeing the best?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

Satisfye grip is the best in the market.

A thanks, that's it!!! Now let's check if it's available over here.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bulgakov posted:

ohhhh grip though. yeh I dunno. still gonna support spending a few bux on throwing one of those cheap glass things on the screen.

I was previously a screen protector sceptic :supaburn:

they good tho

Thank you too! English is not my native language, so I surely hosed up the question. I already got here the protective covers, though :)

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 22, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

drat, the Satisfye grip for my niece arrived today (it IS her birthday today, and she doesn't yet know she'll get a Nintendo switch + Mario Kart from her parents, Zelda from my mom/dad, and Mario Odyssey from my other brother).

I'd really like to keep that Elite Bundle, it's awesome ;) (got it for her, with another pair of joycons (Splatoon colors) so she can play along with her little sister, and a screen protector), drat I hope she'll be happy this afternoon ;)

Thank's thread for hinting me at the Satisfye stuff.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kilometers Davis posted:

I bought a Switch Pro Controller just now for $50 Amazon. Good move? I don’t mind the joycons at all but the Pro looks nice and chunky and semi-transparent so I couldn’t resist at a $20 discount. I might finally buy Mario Odyssey soon too.

Pro Controller is awesome and way above joycons, imo. I still have one of the first ones, though, where the d-pad sucks. But I still prefer it over joycons, allthough they give you the option to play without looking like a t-rex, which is nice sometimes with more relaxed games like Into the Breach and stuff.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Finished my first (in total fourth) run through Iconoclasts on the Switch. This game is so loving good. It might be lacking in regard to beeing a "top metroidvania", but the presentation plus the story plus the soundtrack is so good. If it's on sale or if you are looking for a pretty good gaming experience, I can only suggest to pick it up.

So, beeing spoiled by the soundtrack again and again, what should I play next? Undertale I finished every possible run, Celeste I am somewhere around 50% but I have to admit the soundtrack is not grabbing me like Iconoclasts. One of my favourite gaming soundtracks is Zelda, so I guess I should pick up Cadence of Hyrule? I am not that much into rythm games, but I adore good gaming soundtracks, so should I dive into that?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm really bad at this Cadence of Hyrule game, but I can't stop playing it. The music is so loving good, and it's so much fun to *missed a beat*

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Is there a Cadence of Hyrule thread which I can't find?

Because I'm stuck...and stupid....but mostly stuck

how the heck to I get over the "bridge" inside hyrule castle? I checked some youtube vids, and they all have hookshots and stuff, and I just traversed nearly the whole map in search of someone who sells me that or in search of a chest, but I'm out of luck

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Listen, Nintendo, it's simple: give me Axelay on the SNES, and I'll buy the overpriced Zelda gameboy game remake!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

When do Switch games usually unlock? When I buy Link's Awakening as a digital download, when will it unlock?

WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO RELIVE MY YOUTH???

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:argh:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

American McGay posted:

1st party titles are 12am Eastern.

If my timezone-knowledge works (which means putting it into google and hoping for the best) that means around 18:00 o`clock at my place. Sounds fine, dinner is overrated anyways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Your Computer posted:

hey is anyone else incredibly excited to play link's awakening? :dogcited:

my nipples explode with delight