Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

Jango wasn't Mandalorian. Boba was his clone, so neither was he.

Is this guy actually Mandalorian?

My guess is it's the guy with Boba's armor from the short interludes in the Aftermath trilogy.

(Which would mean no, he isn't a Mandalorian.)

Wait, when did Jango get defrocked from being Mandalorian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoy the story about Randy Stradley (when he was editor of the Star Wars books for Dark Horse) getting really tired of fans on the Internet demanding more Mandalorians so he eventually wrote one where the Mandalorians appear... in full retreat after losing a battle.

Was Boba Fett a big part of the marketing for ESB or ROTJ? He doesn't amount to much in either but I've heard he was heavily promoted much like Phasma in the new movies. They were both there to look cool and sell toys. :v:

Boba cultists were fully engaged right from the moment he appeared on the Holiday Special. I didn't understand it at the time, either.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

The movies have always been most important, though. My dad finally got seeing Solo recently on dvd and he said he was enjoying it until Darth Maul showed up because it completely took him out of the movie; said he had no idea where that came from. I told him he came back in the cartoons and he said it would've been nice if that had been explained in the movie, because as far as he's concerned Darth Maul has been dead since he was chopped in half and fell down a bottomless pit in 1999.

As I've said before, it doesn't strike me as terribly fair to make it incumbent on people to seek these things out so they understand what's going on in the movie they've bought their ticket for. My dad doesn't have the time or really the interest in watching children's cartoons to get the necessary backstory for the movie. In your opinion, is it unreasonable for him to be annoyed like that?

It's an enviable level of being protected from spoilers, though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I was really excited about Red Tails until I saw it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

cargohills posted:

The actress who voices her does TV too so they could just get her to come back if they were desperate to bring Sabine into live-action. (I very much doubt they'll do that with the Rebels characters, though.)

They'll absolutely be name-dropped, but I doubt actually featured.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

And, just like with the second-generation action figures, Luke's gotten all ripped.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Torra is the only actual kid on the squadron. Kaz is 19 or 20.

The Colossus also has a bunch of turrets but I think they got blown up the last time the platform got attacked by pirates.

We could see the turrets in the last episode but they didn't fire at the creature for... reasons.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Main plot's still pretty much a straight line, though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

I haven't watched any of Resistance yet, but is it going to continue the post IX storyline from this point on?

If there's a time skip between TLJ and Ep.IX, it might slot in there.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

RIP Hosnian Prime

And yep, the Colossus is a big ol' ship

We can see that it has ISD-style globes on the tower... and Captain Doza was an ex-Imperial...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, we've seen what the station looks like in full and it looks nothing like any of those ships. It being a mobile support base is most likely.

Have we, though? I got the distinct impression there was still more going down from what was on the schematics.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Disclaimer: I don't know where this is from.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

site posted:

That's how George Lucas would want it

Tbh having the only black woman on the show join the space fascists kinda pisses me off (and the way they just had kaz totally ignore the fact that the first order just blew up his home planet during the scene where she chooses to go, so the writers could get her on the ship, was just incredibly contrived), but at least the show as a whole picked up in those last few episodes

Understandable, but take heart in the fact that every person of color shown in a Space Fascist uniform makes the worst people rage.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's a cool poster, but I seriously doubt it's real.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I am immediately interested in whatever those little flat not-TIE fighters are in the FO inventory.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

site posted:

there was definitely a lot of filler crap and having the one girl go first order was uhhhhhhh

hope they end up using that cg style for other projects tho, would be a shame to let it go to waste

If by "Uhhhhhhhh" you mean, "the first really interesting plot point that happened."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DancinBrud posted:

Feels like a stretch, but who knows. That Twin Suns duel is so good. Probably a top 3 all-time lightsaber fight, in my opinion.

It certainly feels the most samurai-y, and those two things are probably not coincidental.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Good to know! I've always been more of a fan of the Rebellion era than Clone Wars, but I hear so many good things about Ahsoka so I want to see what her deal is.

Her deal is going from Jar-Jar II to best character in the course of about three years. It was the damndest thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Here's the quick look for Rise of the Skywalker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1T3HxHd7Y

I know its not TV, but I'm sure season 2 of Resistance will have some links to it.

I see B-wings!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Poe picks up BB8 and leaves the other Droid for Kaz, so after that episode it can be assumed that The first scenes of TFA are happening. Then we get the Hosian ganking which gives us exact time frame. So like not exactly the same time a TFA, but its close enough.

And we don't know if they killed the Entire Resistance, though I will agree that they are nearly destroyed at the end of TLJ, the majority of their command is gone and what we can assume is the bulk of their fleet is gone too.

I could see an episode where they go to Crait, find the remains of the battle. I was thinking maybe the McGuffin for this season will be that fleet of ISDs we see. Kaz hears about a rumor of a giant cache of GCW ships and races to find the info before the FO does, and then in RotSW we have a line "a Resistance cell found the coordinates to these".

If those four ships were the bulk of the Resistance fleet, I'm guessing things were pretty dire well before TLJ.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tomtrek posted:

This is interesting, it looks like the Rebels season 2 opener got changed for Disney+. Sam Witwer's Palpatine voice has been replaced by a new recording of Ian McDiarmid.

https://twitter.com/Rebels_TK421/status/1177632059893964805

I am OK with this, and I bet Crashdown is too.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh hey, his armor deflects blaster bolts

Phasma becomes even more pathetic in hindsight...

How long before he gets a lightsaber? I'm betting second season

Phasma having the only other set of armor proven effective...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Jar Jar owns in TCW, he was made for cartoons. The only thing is, sometimes the voice actor is... nowhere close.

...which is weird, since it's Ahmed Best reprising the role.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am extremely down for live-action amoral Indiana Jones in space.

I would be extremely further down for animated Aphra, but I certainly wouldn't reject a live-action one.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I really enjoyed episode 5 ok?

Like I knew cocky little poo poo would betray the Mando but I wanted to see him get his poo poo wrecked.(little poo poo not mandadlorian)

Also the cold open was fun and I liked in my head applying xwing rules (razorcrest has a stop on its dial and clearly took a fuel leak and damaged engine crit)

FFG better be getting on this.

I liked episode 5. It's always fun to see exactly how many Western tropes they can cram in to a half an hour.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm still not entirely sure if they mean "Razorcrest-class gunship" or if "Razorcrest" is that particular ship's name.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

tribbledirigible posted:

Wasn't that just Rogue One?

No, you're thinking of Star Wars: The Dirty Dozen.

Also, good to see the Porax P-38 still in use.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Did anyone spot the Colossus in the space battle? Allegedly it's there somewhere.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Zebulon posted:

I didn't notice it, but didn't know to look for it. The space battle scenes are extremely chaotic and messy. It's amazing you can pick out the Ghost in several of the scenes at all.

Shadow Caster, Sabine's friend's ship from Rebels, is also in there.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Wild Bunch, but it was a machine gun
Magnifiicent Seven (modern)
3:10 to Yuma
Last Samurai
The Gatling Gun

there are probably shitlods more. It's the 2 health bar big boss in any self respecting western

I was thinking Rooster Cogburn when he took over the gun in Ep.1, which would make Kate Hepburn the Mandalorian and John Wayne IG-11, and--hang on, let me get my pen...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

No idea about veracity, but the "Sabine and Ahsoka driving around in a van solving mysteries" we've opined about might be a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTUqKaKuk90

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Ahsoka, 97 years old and still alive and solving mysteries in a van with her new space family and the annoying force ghost of her space dad.

She finds a still-alive Barriss and they have brutal old person fight.

This guy gets it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Where's the love for Clone Wars animated movie Baby Jabba?

Elsewhere.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

There is something seriously loving weird with Lando's movement in Rebels. He, like, undulates.

The puppetry is the weakest part of the animated shows--nothing seems like it has weight or momentum, and their chosen method of giving complexity to mouth movements (having the characters' jaws move from side to side as they speak) is off-putting.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Rebels suddenly got pretty good somewhere mid-S2. I'm at the point where Kanan is fussing before meeting Hera's dad and I'm losing my poo poo. Did something change?

Edit: :laffo: Hera's French accent that's so fuckin weird

Hera codeswitching at her father remains one of my favorite moments in the show.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

:stare:

Is that how she's described in the book, or is that artistic license at work?

She's basically described as Space Luna Lovegood, so it's within tolerances.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

They really should have done more Kaz makes friends with the Aces episodes in season 1.

They should have done a lot of things in Season One.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Twelve episodes. I believe four for each arc.

We know there's four Bad Batch episodes as they released the unfinished reels. I thought Crystal Crisis would be another, but I don't see any scenes of it.

The second arc is probably Ahsoka's Walkabout, which was supposed to be about her navigating Coruscant's underworld and trying to adapt to not being a Jedi anymore. That fits better as a lead in to Siege of Mandalore.

It seems like a lot of the lead-in lorebuilding in Crystal Crisis is superfluous now with Rogue One existing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

So I did this and lo and behold he fairly-ambiguously eats it in a shuttle explosion, complete with pan-down-to-charred-helmet-cause-he's-totally-dead-guys

Bonus Ahsoka reacting to Anakin agreeing with Tarkin that Space Guantanamo Bay is a good idea, actually

Re-watching "The Wrong Jedi" made me thing that an opportunity was missed: Tarkin should have been Asoka's defender, not prosecutor--it would have put him returning a favor to Anakin and forecast the Tarkin-Vader association.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

Wasn't it a punishment for Vader that he had to follow Tarkin's lead on the Death Star? IIRC he was SEETHING about it

I never got that impression from the original. Vader kind of seethes 100% of the time anyway.