Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Fish and Chimps posted:

I don't care, but neither does anybody else in my city apparently

Do you play any miniature games at all.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Fish and Chimps posted:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours

:holymoley:

What do you actually play.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

To all the people pimping RuneWars, would you say Legion is equally as good? I saw RuneWars have some life in my area initially, but its like almost completely dead now. Legion had insane hype at start, but it seems like people moved on from it right quick? I was interested in both, but if you are going to ask me to paint miniatures for a game I need to feel confident it will be played for years to come.

Doesn’t legion have an incredibly limited model range.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Imagined posted:

It's weird how, on the one hand, taken as a whole tabletop RPGs and miniature wargaming are doing better than ever. But if you zoom in to either segment it's really just two companies (Paizo/Wizards, GW/FFG) doing 98% of the business while everyone else fights for the scraps. It's like those monoculture crops where it's giving you bumper output but one blight and it's all gone. Healthier and yet also more vulnerable than ever.

Like what happens to the local FLGS if people as a whole suddenly decide they don't like Magic the Gathering.

This was a good post until the last sentence.

The whole reason that the big companies dominate their segments is that successful games have a massive network effect- once enough people like something, it takes an unbelievable amount of effort to make them all not like it. Magic got popular because it made a splash as a new kind of game back in the 90s, but its successful today because you can walk into a nerd store and find a community of people to play Magic with. It’s the same thing with D&D or warhammer- the big players have distribution and marketing that makes sure their playerbase has easy access to their products, and because the playerbase is big it becomes self sustaining to a degree.

GW a couple years ago showed us how it’s still possible to poison that well if you really try, but the resurgence shows how quickly it can be reactivated if you do things even half competently. Magic isn’t in a super great place right now (lots of bannings in standard a couple years ago, the pro tour is bleeding players to hearthstone and will be losing people to artifact because the money from blizzard/valve is much better), but wotc has plenty of runway to get things humming again.

The giant network effects are also why the smaller games will never be meaningful parts of most distributors/FLGs bottom lines. It takes a giant amount of money in marketing, outreach and distribution to launch a game that requires a community to sustain it, and that kind of capital just doesn’t exist for nerd games. Privateer Press probably came the closest to breaking through the Wotc/GW/FFG/Asmodee game store hegemony, but being the second biggest fish in the pond is way more precarious than being on top.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Seldom Posts posted:

Didn't WOTC recently make some kind of distribution change for MTG cards that is going to screw over FLGS's in favour of box stores and amazon?

Not really. They made a direct distribution deal with amazon and some other e-commerce retailers to sell booster boxes. The issue was that over the past couple years there were a number of high-volume 3p sellers on those platforms that were selling boxes for slightly over distributor cost (like $90 bux for a box of boosters) while MSRP was $125. No one was actually paying MSRP anyway.

Wotc cut out the middleman and negotiated a direct deal, and then cut a break to FLGs by including special unique foil rares in the kits to stores, so if you spend $100 or $110 on your box in store, you’ll get a special card that occasionally has substantial secondary market value. Or you can buy the box for $90 online and not get the card. It’s a reasonable solution to what was happening.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Boosters come from boxes :ssh:

They’re different SKUS at different MSRPs though, with very different customers. As a magic customer, you can buy a box of 36 boosters for $90 no problem, while individual boosters are between $3-4. If a store runs a $15 booster draft every week, after prize support they’re effectively selling booster boxes for $110.

The best analogue I can think of here is the difference between a convenience store selling loosies compared to a native rez selling cartons of smokes. They both have niches and customer bases, but the convenience store isn’t exactly losing their customers to the rez.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Len posted:

If I ever played in a store I probably would have considered it. But I've played Warmachine in a store exactly once. I did prime everything beforehand but 99% of my miniature game experience has been on kitchen tables with lots of proxies so :shrug: everyone enjoys the hobby in different ways

Nebalebadingdong posted:

even if you dislike painting, its pretty easy to do 3 color minimum, some zenithal highlighting, some nmm, mix a few custom glazes and do some wet blending, read some color theory, make a wet palette. i basically won a golden demon in about 25 minutes on my first ever mini.

Chill la Chill posted:

I’m arguing that it looks better to just use colored cubes anyway. You see these arguments in board games a lot cuz there’s a section of games that are just Kickstarters for minis with a game attached. The physical space looks awful since it’s just blobs of grey everywhere and the minis aren’t even needed to convey information that wooden cubes can’t already do.
EG: Rising sun

If you notice, the game already came with little rubber circles to put in the bases because they already knew that it would look like a mess on the board without painted minis.

Vs.

Plus, look how classy that looks.

Then again, I play 18xx which prizes function over form. There’s actually a good comparison here with age of steam because you can use either minis or discs:

Vs

PrinnySquadron posted:

I never paint anything except occasionally putting a base coat on with spraypaint. Except for like, 2 Malifaux crews

Madurai posted:

I was perfectly happy gaming with cardboard counters and resent the fact that I'm expected to shell out for toys to non-enhance the experience.

Moola posted:

Suggesting people find a better hobby because they don't want to paint is very rude and exclusionary

Let people do.

My gf likes x-wing and a big part is that the models come pre-painted and assembled.

God these quotes are extremely loving illuminating.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

panascope posted:

People saying cubes are better than models make me sick, and should be made Coupons only.

Cubes are fine, but a pretty key component of most tabletop games is that building and painting the models is supposed to be an enjoyable part of the experience that you’re paying for. It’s like, the main reason a lot of tabletop games need something as abstract as tape measures or movement tools instead of just having a hex grid or something. It’s supposed to be fun to look at and gameplay is deliberately weakened to accommodate things looking cool.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Man, imagine the degree of self-ownage involved in spending money on a tabletop minis game, leaving it all in grey plastic, then spending months and/or years whining on message boards that the rules aren’t as tight as board games.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

I think some eurogame where cubes abstract tanks and games where the tanks are lovingly detailed models you are expected to paint are both valid, but very different hobbies. Ideally for the "no painting" crowd you have a retail model like Dust where you can buy premium pre-painted versions of the kits, but that's more of a boutique game and GW operates at such a scale to make that impractical.

It’s pretty much this, exactly. They both have their place.

I just thought a half dozen posters going “:smug: yeah I don’t build or paint models, I play grandpa hex and chit games” is pretty telling.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

The problem is GW started with a skirmish game using the 25mm minis from the RPGs they played, then never grew out of that scale (apart from scale creep up to currently 32mm) as their games bloated all the way up to 1 foot tall titan shin kicking competitions, and even worse managed to make it the standard in the minds of everyone, so every other game has to be that scale as well.

This goes back to the criticisms of wanting games to be what they aren’t. Warhammer is fundamentally a game that assigns rules to your model collection, not a fiddly space verisimilitude simulator.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

There's a middle ground between the two, no matter how hard 40k fans jam their fingers in their ears and scream fealty to the god emperor

There’s a middle ground, sure, but that middle ground isn’t Warhammer. That’s fine.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

And Warhammer isn't a good game, by any conceivable measure.

Show me on the Sigmarine where Warhammer hurt you so badly that you feel the need to post several volumes about how much it bothers you when others have fun with it.

Like, just play battle for North Africa or whatevs and enjoy making sure your Italians have enough water to boil their pasta.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
The Virgin NTrabbit: Mad Online because people enjoy games he doesn’t, probably voted Leave, responds to medium quality burns with sputtering and pathetic mewling.

The Chad tkwg: serene and accepting of all tabletop games in all their forms, blessed to be an American and will graciously vote England in as the 51st state to ensure they get food and Obamacare during the post-Brexit famine, enjoys both painting models and playing board games.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Tekopo posted:

serene and accepting of everything apart from unpainted minis? :confused:

The only person you’re hurting with unpainted plastic is yourself, friend. Why deny yourself the zen-like pleasure of applying acrylic paint to small figurines?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I mean I agree with you wrt painting but making a meme where you say that you accepting gaming in all its forms when you previously mass quoted people saying stuff like “unpainted is not a big deal” and “there’s ways to do no-effort painting” seems a bit weird to me

I thought it was perhaps a little telling that the people most infamously Very Mad About GW do not actually paint models, and clearly do not enjoy it. Perhaps that’s connected to their love of posting incessantly that warhams is a BRIGADE and not a PLATOON game, omg why can’t the people who play Warhammer understand that?????

We’ll have to do more research to be sure.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i paint and play mostly GW stuff, alot of people were joshing, you dont have to care irl about unpainted models because people play for lots of different reasons its called not being a butthole :angel:

I’m not owned! I’m not owned!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Two Beans posted:

I think it's telling that a lot of them have anime avs.

I’ll set the line at someone bringing up gundam models at 25 more posts.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Seldom Posts posted:

No, the point is that you can see who the crazy fanbois are and laugh at them.

What have I said that’s crazy, specifically? Here’s a nice outline of my beliefs:

1. Warhammer is fine
2. Hex-n-chit games are fine
3. Infinity and warmahordes are fine, but are at higher risk of collapse than market leader games

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Moola posted:

I like painting models

Some people don't

Both of these things is okay

Could you stop being a massive oval office for no discernable reason?

If you don’t like this thread, vote 1 and move on!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Moola posted:

I like this thread when people are chatting and not being weird stuck up combative assholes about plastic toys

I see you’re new here.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Someone make a post about the petty bickering and whining in the counters-and-chits community so we can move past the petty bickering and whining from the toy community, please.

Realtalk I dabble in historicals and went out to a convention once. There were enough guys in outright fascist shirts and jackets that I :yikes:’d out of there and only bust out my table for friends now. I’d imagine the hex-n-chit community has, uh, similar demographics.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Well that’s a bit hard cuz this time the 40k people came in with an agenda from the get go. Also boom3 and leperflesh aren’t posting in it.

The death threads started because people kept shitposting in the GW threads that GWs death was imminent

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ilor posted:

The worst I've ever seen was a dude (who also did Civil War re-enactments) wearing his Confederate Artillery Officer's kepi to a game. I think that one's less cringe-worthy than some fucker in a full SS get-up.

But there are utter loving chodes throughout the wargaming community. Look at the Nazi-themed Imperial Guard armies or Confederate Space Marines you occasionally see popping up on Instagram. Historicals may draw those kinds of people more overtly, but it's not like they aren't present elsewhere. The important part is making sure to call their racist poo poo out as unacceptable regardless of venue.

Yeah, I think there’s sort of a continuum of vidya games > warhams > historicals > hex-n-chit where the groggier you get the more you’re likely to find straight up unrepentant nazis for some reason (maybe something where the more niche a community is the more it feels like it can’t alienate any of its members?). Bash the fash wherever you find him etc etc etc.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Reading The Myth of the Eastern Front was sobering to me. Some of the stuff about the wargaming community is not as relevant anymore or potentially exaggerated but it’s undoubted that the romancers had an influence on the hobby

I’ve never played flames of war but I understand it’s mostly about gritty serious veteran nazis and their technically superior weapons against slavering asiatic hordes.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Moola posted:

I like this thread when people are chatting and not being weird stuck up combative assholes about plastic toys

:thunk:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

vkeios posted:

I was literally slapping paint on a miniature that I assembled like half a year ago and I discovered this.
im not certain if I'll bother taking it off tbqh

p.s. painting sucks, I never needed to do it for my gunpla, why can't these miniature companies start getting good at plastic.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I’ll set the line at someone bringing up gundam models at 25 more posts.

76 posts!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

vkeios posted:

Around $15 USD

why would you spend any money at all on this.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Imagine being like “games workshop games are bad but advanced squad leader and anime rules.”

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

People defend buying 25-35 dollar unassembled un painted glue required 1 inch tall unarticulated single figures for a game and act like they are cool and make excuses when the game is poo poo.

Everything is true.

What’s your favorite anime

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

You seem to be very upset that someone could not like a company, or a thing, except the things you don't like, here in the death thread.

The death thread stopped being funny or worthwhile a couple years ago and the latest incarnation is unironic cheering for anime and the most obtuse games known to humanity.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

Can you guys stop making GBS threads up the best thread on the forum? TIA.

:allears: this is the best post I’ve ever read.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

GW stock is crashin down

Just like the rest of the global markets

:fire:

Pull a leperflesh and write a thousand words about publically available documents that anyone with half a brain could read and comprehend.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

What thread are you reading, because this one has pretty much been people going "huh, GW doesn't suck as much anymore" and then discussing other parts of the wargame industry being hosed up and weird.

Slam sector scrunts JoJo gundams!!!!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

knights on horses with lances you jerks :colbert:

Pike and Shotte is probably my favorite rank and flank game, if you’re willing to be the booster in your area for it. Rules are based off of Warmaster because it’s written by Rick Priestly.

If you just want a fantasy game with cavalry, Age of Sigmar is probably the most widespread.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

If I was going to do Sigmar I would probably end up doing lots of Black Knights and Grave Guard

The spookghost army has some :discourse: sculpts.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

vkeios posted:

But holy poo poo I’m never gonna put in that effort.

M

L

Y

P

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I want to pick up Black Powder 2 for maximum button color arguments.

I adore black powder but for horsies specifically P&S is better because the rock/paper/scissors interplay of pike blocks, sword/axe/etc infantry and cavalry is so great.

Infantry/artillery definitely reigns supreme in BP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Titans are just giant scrunts, so you should be ashamed to like them

Hahaha scrunts! Epic!!!