Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Nice to hear that Gridman and Samurai Caliber have senses of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kaptain posted:

Yes. Sadly it's untranslated. Not to mention highschool girl lingo is harder to translate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuCr_xf8AYo
I found an incredibly rough translation of it:

1.1 posted:

"Rikka, do you have a minute?"
"So what is it?"
"We saw it last night."
"Oh, that."
"What were you doing with Hibiki Yuta? We will treat you if you are honest."
"It's not like I'm hiding anything."
"Then hurry, tell us."
"Last night, Hibiki-kun collapsed in front of my house, and he got amnesia/lost his memory..."
"Amnesia!?"
"It's not a big deal."
"It IS a big deal. I mean, amnesia, is it even real? That's pretty bad, isn't it?"
"But it's really not a big deal."
"By the way, why did he collapse in front of your house, isn't it weird?"
"Yeah, how did you and Yuta get into that 1 on 1 situation?"
"Ehh, it isn't that weird, you know?"
"She's definitely hiding something. Wait, did Rikka invite him to her house or something? Really?"
"No, it's not like that, really."
"Then what is it?"
"Ehh, it's just a coincidence, or something like that."
"You are SO BAD at lying! What the--you two aren't really dating, are you?"
"No, we aren't, I swear."
"I'm relieved that Yuta didn't get too close to Rikka. I mean, it's the *insert random nicknames here* Rikka."
"Okay, stop it."
"Then, Rikka, what did you eat this morning?"
"This morning? I think some green-colored fruit?"
"See???"
"It's not like that! It's my mom who prepared it!"
"Acting again, huh? As exptected of *insert more random nicknames here* Rikka. Rikka, you might not notice it, but you shouldn't be so tough, you know?"
"What do you mean by being tough?"
"By the way, are you and Yuta even that close?"
"No, not at all. I don't often talk to him, you know? Even when we are alone, we only talk a little."
"Mm hmm. So, what next?"
"I mean, that's it. I haven't talked to him since then."
"Oh... Well, it's Hibiki with the red hair after all."
"Yeah, bright red."
"It doesn't matter if it's red or anything."
"If I was a boy, I definitely wouldn't try my luck with Rikka."
"Me neither... if I'm a boy in this class, I would probably choose Akane."
"I know right! She's cute and popular with the boys. They'd definitely choose Akane."
"Yeah, I think I get it too."
"And Rikka has that aura of a girl who would probably go out with a workerman, that's just wrong. No, no, no, that can't be allowed."
"So Rikka, if you were asked right now, what is the price in your head?"
"Now? Hmm, 180,000 yen?"
"I didn't know you are that kind of person!"
"No, you got it wrong...!!!"
I'd like a cleaner and more accurate localisation, but the gist is that Rikka's friends are bantering with her about Yuta.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Someone put up a better translation of 1.1.

https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/10/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-11.html

Makes it clear they're ribbing Rikka with some background details.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSNmaMPzCQ
A sub of audio drama 3.3.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 25, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not quite as in-depth as those two, but there's a fair amount of production notes for the unfeatured characters.

(Not my translations; the "girl-power" talked about on #2 is more about being good at practical skills traditionally associated with women (however fairly), like cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc.; the "high school debut" on #11 means he's socially blossomed from being awkward in his younger years. You may have already known that but it's liner notes for some images I didn't feel like editing further.)

(Sorry about the edit and ruining your post, I was doing a double-check to see if this was really for this show. I found some proof! #11 is in this shot.

I guess what threw me off is that a lot of these characters are 2nd and 3rd years and the gang is in 1st year.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/10/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-44.html

Would like this over a video, but this is some post-episode follow-up for Rikka. She feels awful about the three guys that died and didn't want to bring it up with her friends. Also, she has an older brother.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Apparently the guy who commented on Akane's avatar was wrong and it wasn't Alien Baltan. Way to nerd gatekeeper via murder, Akane :v:

boredsatellite posted:

I think its actually something from Ultraman.
That's correct.

This is Alien Reguran.

This is Alien Baltan.

It's an incredibly petty thing to murder over (though that's sort of the idea, even if it was also the interruptions of her questioning and invasion of her personal space that pushed her over), but Akane's a serious kaiju fan.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 31, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Now there's a subtitled version for 4.4, if you like listening and reading at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YynDhzyeGs

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's supposedly some leaked spoilers (or more accurately synopses) floating around for the entire rest of the show. They're not too in-depth, though they give some idea of what's coming.
Just to compare whenever the official one's posted later (should be in several hours, I think?), though, here's what episode 5's supposed to have according to it: Swimsuit episode, new support gattai (Buster Gridman), new kaiju "Goyabeck"?

Also, some stuff from episode 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o45YLAa3Ir4

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Looks like the synopses may be on the level.

https://gridman.net/story/#/05

"Yuta and company head outside of the city for their field trip. Yuta, for the first time since having suffered from loss of memory, is excited. Yuta and the others enjoy their rafting down the river in the mountains until...?"

Of course, this would be the class trip mentioned in voice drama 3.3.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Not that I imagine they're suddenly hot for other people to make money off their IP, especially with the current success of Gridman, but that particular line's been on their website FAQ for 6 years now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It may not amount to anything, particularly since it doesn't directly involve Denkou Choujin Gridman, but an episode of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad had an episode which had the show's lead traveling to an alternate universe, where the usual student antagonist was a kind and caring person and another supporting character (student council president, daughter of the principal) was the one working with the villain instead. And of course, there's all the designs based on Transformer's Shattered Glass universe, which is a very deliberate inverse of the normal state of Transformers - Optimus Prime's eventual fate there was being found by the good shard of Unicron and transformed into the heroic (and no longer murderously psychotic) Nova Prime.

Like, I have doubts the show's creative team is planning on recreating any of that 1:1, but the influences might end up going deeper than names and designs.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/11/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-55.html

Calibur keeps cats because of course he does. :allears:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFI9sRtr-xU
And here's a subbed 5.5 video for your pleasure as well.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This show has the cutest details.

Max holding Calibur's swords out of the way of banging on the doorframe. :kimchi:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Not that Anosillus the Second was built up before her first real appearance, but she has been sneaking around in the background of earlier episodes. And, of course, the OP, which started running on the second episode (not sure if she had an in-episode appearance in that one).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My guess for next time is that Akane overcompensates on her kaiju of the week because she's more angry at Anti and Alexis co-opting her sense of control and will feel the need to reassert her "godhood".

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Been looking at the official episode previews every Monday, this week's extra clear that things aren't going to go as easily as the synopsis questions from the pictures.
https://gridman.net/story/#/08

quote:

ツツジ台高校では数年ぶりに学園祭が催されることになり、各所で準備が進められていた。アレクシスに利用されていると考えた裕太たちはアカネに対して説得を試みる。
Something like Azalea High school is hosting its cultural festival for the first time in several years, and preparations are going well thus far. Yuta believes that Alexis is manipulating Akane, so he tries to convince her to change.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Akane's plan was kind of a lotus eater scheme, or at least an attempt to win the Gridman Alliance over to her, but as much as the dreams were there to give them something they wanted (or at least what Akane thought they wanted) - a caring girlfriend for Yuta, the neglected friendship restored for Rikka, and interest from his crush for Utsumi - all of the dreams are really things AKANE wants; a significant other, a best friend to hang out with, a friend who she can genuinely nerd out with. All of them devoting their free time to Akane. Even beyond her "god whom everyone is designed to love" thing, she seems to have at least those two girls (Marusan and Seven) as her usual class friends - but they aren't super interested in kaiju like she is, they don't hang out with her after school, and, given they're the leads of a yuri story by the director, aren't likely to be romantically inclined towards her, either. That with the symbology of everyone else on the bus disappearing after Rikka tells Akane that she has lots of other friends, well. It's not like it's a closely guarded secret that Akane is desperately lonely.

If the ending sequence is something of a record of "the real world", then combining that with the details from the Rikka dream and other episodes- they're 1st year students, and Rikka and Akane didn't know each other in middle school. They met near the beginning of school in spring (April, in other words, like Utsumi and Yuta), and the show is taking place in the second semester; September through October so far. Something happened that had the two of them drift apart - Akane brushes it off on the group date episode, but when they reach summer vacation in the dream, Rikka declines the invitation to go with her. Maybe that time was the spot of distress in the real past as well? The final shot of the ED is Rikka standing alone wearing a scarf - which suggests it's taking place beyond any of the depicted events thus far, in winter (plus, it doesn't have any of the filters the preceding scenes have).

I'm also curious if that brief sequence of Akane running against the train is tied to anything beyond a visual metaphor; the other points of interest so far about the train in the show are that it doesn't actually go anywhere when there's not an "outside" like the rafting trip, and people riding it get forced asleep.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Official preview for the next episode.
https://gridman.net/story/#/10

Synopsis: The days where Akane was absent from school and kaiju did not appear continued. The last kaiju made by Akane was swiftly defeated by Gridman and eerily stood back up.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Amazing that they could follow up on episode 9 like this.

Also, the spatial hints have been there all along, but they never deliberately drew attention to it before this episode.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A lot of stuff to take in, so just sorting my CIA document observations here.

There's Anti's exchange with Akane- Akane:"I don't like kaiju that resemble people. See? Those eyes... You have eyes like a person."
Anti: "And your eyes are--"
Akane:"Don't look."

Akane can't see Gridman on the computer monitor when they show her perspective, like how Rikka and Utsumi used to be incapable.
Alexis telling Akane that "Real humans don't actually sleep." right after she wakes from a dream.
For that matter, Akane's room being in the cybercity.
Why Alexis even wants Akane to keep making kaiju. He's never actually pushed her towards fighting Gridman, and he's not broken up about the maintenance kaiju being destroyed, either. If anything he seems pretty pleased with himself at her current state.

To pore back over existing references: Rikka still hasn't given Akane the card case she bought that has the Matrix of Leadership motif on it. It was still sitting in a Nova bag in her room last we've seen. Relevant to all the Shattered Glass Transformers-inspired designs, Akane is based on SG Optimus Prime, who eventually gets turned into Nova Prime which cures him of his madness and brings him to the side of heroes.
The custodian kaiju look like Venora, a kaiju from the end of the first season of Gridman, the Hyper Agent who released nerve gas that could tamper with Gridman's mind and memories.

Akane is similar to the original human antagonist of Gridman, the Hyper Agent, Takeshi, who fashioned the kaiju that Khan Digifier brought to life. He wore glasses, lived in a walled/gated home, was computer-savvy, and made kaiju to get revenge for a series of petty concerns. In one of the late episodes before the series climax, a person named "Takeo" appeared who looked like Takeshi, except he was kind and selfless, made friends with everyone, and went out of his way to save people in trouble. When Takeshi's main hacking scheme of the episode failed, he decided that everything was Takeo's fault and went to stab him with a box cutter identical to the one Akane has, but comes to the revelation that Takeo is literally actually just the ideal version of himself, someone he could be if he wasn't so... well, jealous and spiteful and petty. It's never completely clear how it happened, but Takeo had just manifested in the real world from the computer world. In SSSS.Gridman, Yuta and Akane both say there's something only they can do and both keep Ramune marbles--obviously there's the protagonist/antagonist parallels, but with everything else happening, it's not like Yuta being Akane's "Takeo" is too far-fetched a proposition.

One more :tinfoil: :Khan Digifier attempted to take over the real world via a tentacle; this is the concept art for that tentacle's head.

And here's one of the last stills of the OP.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Official preview for the next episode.
https://gridman.net/story/#/11

Synopsis: A ceiling covers the city and a different morning dawns. Having lost Gridman, many kaiju begin to appear within the city. Akane quietly overlooks the city.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/12/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-1010.html

In case you weren't keeping up with the translation releases, before 11 comes out. This one sounds to be placed between Utsumi talking to Yuta again and the kaiju attack afterwards.
Utsumi gets totally busted. Hass and Namiko aren't dismayed one bit that neither one is showing interest in them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'd seen the speculation about Yuta being Gridman all along, though most of them focused on him being him wholesale, and not just occupying an existing body. That said, there's clearly still something important about Yuta the person that we won't know until next episode, apparently. Also, gently caress you Alexis.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh right, official previews for the last episode.

https://gridman.net/story/#/12

Synopsis (not really spoilery, but in case someone hasn't seen the previous episode yet): Yuta and Gridman have awoken and became one true figure. The hearts of all are connected and the final battle begins.

The episode's name is Awakening, just like the first episode, but every title 'til now has had a dividing dot in the title characters; this one doesn't. Reference provided for episode 1.

Also, the BDs apparently have a bonus voice drama: 2.9.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
:unsmith:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Related to Akane and the end sequence: the live-action girl at the end is played Yume Miyamoto, Rikka's voice actress.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 22, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ultraklystron posted:

Well, that kind of seals the deal, especially given the role reversal in the dream with in a dream episode.
Actually scratch that, apparently it's Akane Sakanoue instead; she played Asuna Yamase in Ultraman X
My bad. :shobon:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Part of the original concept of Denkou Choujin Gridman was that there are multiple realities; the "Real World" which is our universe, more or less; the "Computer World", an adjacent dimension accessible from and tied to, well, computers of the Real World; and the "Hyper World" which, while never shown, is where Gridman originates as a member some kind of law-eforcing/peacekeeping organization, and is adjacent to the Computer World. The original series villain, Khan Digifier, was a criminal who escaped from Hyper World and used the human antagonist of the show, Takeshi, as an intermediary to cause havoc across the Computer World with kaiju he created in the Real World (that got digitized by Khan). The Computer World is a "real" place, with its own inhabitants (including native kaiju), though they're pretty rarely seen as the action is usually focused on the Real World being disrupted by Takeshi messing with the Computer World (and then Gridman fixing things in the process of defeating the kaiju of the week; Fixer Beam is actually one of the most common tools of his arsenal).

Apparently, Alexis Kerib is from a fourth world, the Makai World. While they've left plenty of speculative space, I take the events to mean that through Alexis's intervention, Akane was able to create an ideal facsimile of the Real World in the Computer World. But she's not the omnipotent kind of god - after making things, her only means of "editing" is through lethal kaiju application. And once given life, her creations are kind of left to their own devices - they have free will, despite their intended initial states of "loving Akane". Yuta seems to have been chosen by Gridman not only due to being close to Akane spatially in class, but because he wasn't fixated on her (crushing on Rikka instead). Meanwhile, Anosillus the 2nd is the daughter of one of the original residents of the Computer World (a kaiju that Gridman saved in the original show) which, along with the parent Anosillus appearing, probably means to point to Akane's work being an overlay/rework of Computer World. Everything continues on without Akane's direct intervention because it's as "real" as anything else.

Everything works as a metaphor for Akane's own self and problems, too, of course; at minimum because she based everything on what she knows. In this sense, her dream with Rikka and the ED are very, very probably based on her history in the Real World. Everything fell apart in the Rikka dream at summer, Akane's world is in perpetual "summer" despite the months, Akane tells Yuta she likes graveyards in the summer. Perhaps in the Real World, some trauma around summertime drove her to Alexis? When her heart is healed and she leaves, it's winter. Rikka is seen alone in the ED in a winter scene. (Whether it's relevant or not, the limited edition cover pack for buying the whole BD collection on Amazon is Rikka and Akane in winter clothes.) Still, there's a lot of room left for interpretation (say, if you read Alexis as Akane's depression, then you note that he's only sealed and not destroyed). Any which way, hopefully Akane can love herself.

chiasaur11 posted:

In the end, he's still a kaiju. But one that believes in paying his debts.

His one eye being blue like a lot of the normal people of Akane's world seems to point to him being at least half-human now :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
That was always one of the conceits of the original Gridman show anyway. It's a Real Place with Real Individuals, even if it's a digital reality, and it's possible for crossover between the Human and Computer dimensions in either direction by means of the aid of someone from a third dimension, Hyper World (where Gridman and allies are from, but also the main villain of the live action; Alexis was apparently from elsewhere). Even if Akane had traveled there in her sleep somehow, her presence was also real.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

Actually Alexis was only from the sequel, the original villain was named Khan Digifier (or Kilokhan in the American adaptation Syber Squad).
That's what I meant, sorry I was unclear. Khan was from Hyper World.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's way too soon to have a really good sample size of clues with the limited screen time, but Chise is already kind of curious to me. No one except Koyomi interacts with Chise in the episode. In the ending, the only time Chise is alone in frame with anyone else is just looking at some girls talking/laughing together the foreground while pressing the piano key. Even when the group is collecting at the end of the sequence, there's no particular indication that Minami or Yomogi are acknowledging Chise since Koyomi's right there, too. The TV program in the room in their introduction scene discuss tombs being dismantled and a new "grave", and Chise reminds Koyomi of a memorial. Most of the scenes focusing on the ankhs transition to or from Chise (the only one that doesn't is when Yomogi is being chased by Gauma and there's a transition to Minami walking down the street - which is also the only time she's not looking at them as part of the transition). Not sure exactly where this line of reasoning goes - if Chise's a ghost or a figment of Koyomi's imagination or something (maybe Chise's the student that committed suicide?). The only implication Chise's even been seen by anyone else is Koyomi saying that "the police get nosy when I walk around with you" which... if he's walking around talking to empty space (from others' perspectives), then he'd still look pretty strange to police.

Anyway, this is the kind of wild speculation that can be easily cleared up in a single episode. Just eagerly awaiting the next one.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Her followup line "no one believes we're cousins" implies more that the police think he's taking advantage of a young girl.
True, though in the wild theory that line wouldn't matter so much.

For a less wild observation:

Ibblebibble posted:

Here's a more high-res picture at least, from the official twitter:

https://twitter.com/SSSS_PROJECT/status/1258675506540494850
Now that we've had a bit of show, looking back at this promo art shows a silhouette on the tower that's not Yume (other shots of the tower in the show don't have shapes between the antennae). I wonder if that's meant to be Kano, or another character (possibly the antagonist?) we've yet to meet.

Lastly, for fun: the Denkou Choujin Gridman episode where the Dragonic Cannon was introduced (later part of Dyna Dragon) had it based on some Chinese artifacts found with a mummy (that gets reanimated as part of the monster of the week plot, naturally). And, well, the bag that Gauma's carrying and its contents...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Just like Gridman, Dynazenon is having voice dramas after its episodes with small talk that features the minor characters more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Wva9jrCWY
https://pastebin.com/LmSabUMc
This pastebin's not perfect (translated by ear by someone not confident in all the words, and doesn't assign speaker names) but you can get the basic gist - it's the extended conversation of Yomogi and his group of friends from the beginning of the episode, after they spotted Minami.

Yomogi's pretty kashiwaguilty.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Artum posted:

Gauma probably is related to the gridman mummy then with all the stuff tied to it.
So the story of the mummy in Gridman was that he was a man who could control dragons and met a princess and fell in love with her. He fought for her country and promised to marry her. After saving the country, though, the rest of her family, fearing the man's power, secretly poisoned the man's drink without telling the princess they were doing this. When he was dead, the princess put the artifacts in his coffin (like the dragon statue) and killed herself to follow him into death. (The revived mummy confuses Yuka, the main girl of the cast, for his princess for the episode.)

Apparently the part of the television program that Chise and Koyomi are talking over in their first scene mentions a tomb being robbed (by four people?).

...Y'know, the mummy's supposed to be Chinese, but ankhs being involved in this story...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
AND the mummy guy had a promise to keep because of love, naturally.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Where is this one showing? Evidently not CR or Funi.
https://www.funimation.com/shows/ssssdynazenon/?qid=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm glad Chise is real and is a friend.