Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ryonguy posted:

Dorks like him don't know how to buy aspirin.

Sure they do.

Just gotta ask Mom to pick some up for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

Aren't you that dumbass nobody that came into the last thread telling everybody they were wrong while never actually having an idea of their own

No no no, he had an idea, an amazing idea, a tremendous idea.

We were just never WORTHY of hearing it. I heard we got close, though!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I really, really want them to all start hyping up Battletoads or something, since they love their frogs, and then Microsoft is like "by the way all three Battletoads are either gay, trans, or super hardcore left wing. Which is which? Play the game to find out!"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

The point is though, that the ticket people know the ideology of the person they are working for, they know that Twitter's rules favor Nazis and bad actors in general

They don't necessarily know this. If you're doing a dead end job like that, you're desperate. Twitter's problems are known by people like us, but the average person who just thinks of Twitter as "that place where people talk at each other in little snippets" doesn't generally have any idea of that. Oh, sure, they know things like "people tend to be assholes there", and the like, but there hasn't been a huge public outcry about Twitter being alt-right friendly. There has been in our circles, but not in the general public at large.

Having a dead end job like that also makes you less likely to think critically about this stuff, because you just don't have the energy to.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

I extremely don't buy the idea that employees of Twitter aren't aware of these things

Unfortunately, that's how it is. Especially when you don't even have time to look at your phone at work. Especially when you're told to not discuss the specifics of your job with people outside of work. A lot of people just don't care enough, and retreat into a little bubble. After all, they work in conditions that grind them down, they don't have the energy to take time to look into these things, nor do they have the reason.

Like I said, there hasn't been a huge public outcry about this stuff. It is not common knowledge in the general public. People glance at the surface, shrug, and assume that's what's going on.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Ahahaha
https://twitter.com/BethElderkin/status/1119220972639354881?s=19

"The burden of proof is on the defendants"

Fun fact, the little Vic fanboys are now leaping all over Beth and telling her she's about to be sued for libeling and slandering him, too. You know, because that's how the law works.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

They don't seem to realize that they're the people Morrison was writing about with the department of Normalcy in the loving 80s.

They'd have to read comics to understand that. One thing that those assholes have proven is they haven't read poo poo.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Doom would totally be into that, he'd be tweeting about RICHARDS stealing Sue from him.

You're confusing Doom with Namor. There is no woman, or man, or any being, worthy of a romantic relationship with Doom. Doom may have dalliances, but in the end, there is none for Doom but DOOM!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I like how I report tweets with obvious death threats, hate speech, etc in them, and nothing gets done. Meanwhile, someone reports a tweet that "accidentally misgendered" someone due to bait EVS and other chuds have created, and Twitter falls all over itself to slap down the victim of the trap.

loving horrible system.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

social media's anti-conservative bias is real

if only this was true

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

i wonder what percentage of clickthrough on those posts are solely because the viwwer doesnt immediately notice it's not Comic Book News

I know I've done it once or twice.

It makes you feel really loving icky.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Anora posted:

SJW protected his account, looks like the chuds have nothing but free time.

I'm not really, but still a bit surprised twitter doesn't have some kind of protected account thing where you have to have someone actually verify all claims against an account.

You KNOW they'd just use it to protect the chuds. "Oh, these accounts generate a lot of heat, we should protect them. What do you mean, actual violations? Nah, it's just people upset they're being de-personed, who cares? The real money is in the Nazis!"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Viridiant posted:

Is he saying "Hello" while waggling his eyebrows or something. What's going on with this guy, I've never gotten into trouble saying hello to anyone. The worst they'll do is just not say anything back.

To some of these chuds, that's an insult. They need attention to live.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1134261492717641728

I suddenly realize I don't recall what EVS' signature looks like, but also don't have a hard time believing it.

It's the little pseudo-swastika in the lower right image.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

mallratcal posted:

lmao I wanted to think this person was a child but his profile says he was born in '94. :ughh:

Legally he might be an adult, but let's be honest, that's just an overgrown child.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the most amusing thing about her videos is that honestly they're pretty basic stuff. All they did by freaking out about it was give more attention to what probably otherwise would have been a relatively mild criticism series.

(Not to devalue the actual real-life harm caused to people and associated with her by the crazy people. Just saying the crazy people did the exact opposite of their intentions.)

Not so sure that's true; while they did give her a lot more exposure, they also made her into sort of an example of what happens to people who they don't approve of. Basically, they showed that even relatively mild criticism would be met with screaming and hollering and threatening and the gnashing of teeth. They sent a message: "This is what happens if you speak out".

The fact that the chuds were able to rile up that many people to try to ruin her life over essentially nothing is slightly terrifying. Which I think is part of the message they wanted to send. Sure, she's more famous because of them; but I figure at least a few voices were silenced by fear of retaliation from her example.

Thankfully, not everyone, but just because they seem to inadvertently shove someone into the spotlight, it doesn't mean things backfired.

I'm terrible at explaining my view, I hope someone understand what I mean.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

Largish for an anime con: they apparently had about 40K guests last year.

They STATED they had 40k guests. With no actual evidence. Video and pictorial evidence shows much lower estimated numbers.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Mr. Glum posted:

I am astonished how active these #istandwithvic guys are. You can't look at a Funimation Facebook or Twitter post (This includes Funi voice actors from DBZ, etc.) without a mass of replies saying how disappointed they are or how unprofessional every voice actor who has spoken out against Vic has been.

I know anime fans can be pretty hardcore, but to go against one of the biggest localizers and the biggest voices... all of the sake of one mediocre voice actor? I get that it's probably more CHUD bullshit than anime fans, but their persistence over this is pretty surprising to me.

If you're surprised that some of the most hardcore anime fans are misogynistic fuckheads with tendencies to support the guy they wish they could be, I don't know what to tell you.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

props.

from a cartoon.

also everything else in there :yikes:

As was stated earlier in the thread, they're from a live action fan film he did. Where he, a 50ish year old man, played a 15 year old.

Yeah.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Is that duct tape?

Gotta make sure the mailbox's incriminating tattoos are covered up.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Please note, when confronted with that, Rekietta's entire defense was "my black friend said it was ok".

Yes, he actually tried to play that card.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Plus, it should be noted, IStandWithVic and Comicsgate are directly connected. The overlap between the two is very evident, the same people have skin in the game for both "movements", and the same sort of attempts at SLAPP lawsuits are going on.

It's hard to not discuss it when there are so many players who are involved in both, and the sheer amount of people who are aware of both.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

What's McFarlane like, anyway? Is he as up his own rear end as his work on Spawn and the like would suggest?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Paying real money for fake money to own the libs.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

do comics gaters on twitter seriously use the emoji for “water closet”, also known as the terlet?

Yeah. They say it stands for "War Campaign", their pseudo-Legion pro-EVS hitsquad. It's basically a bunch of incels screaming. So, #Comicsgate.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

:thejoke:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

What are you talking about, they'll get paid plenty!

In exposure!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wanderer posted:

Why do so many of these dipshits have to film their manifestos from their cars?

It's a difficult to identify spot with an enclosed interior, natural lighting, and makes them feel powerful behind the wheel of a vehicle. It removes the possibility of criticism from other people in the house, is relatively private, and if anyone comes calling for their unpaid bills they're already in their getaway vehicle.

In short, it's their safe space.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's pretty rich that the CGers almost uniformly point to the artistic peak of the medium as... the early Nineties, when comics sales were largely inflated by the speculation market and the resultant crash is directly responsible for there being only a few thousand comic stores nationwide.

The idea is that they don't see it as an artistic nadir that led to a speculator's boom and the resulting crash. They see it as the time when comics made the most money off of being comics. That is their entire criteria for success: How much money did you make?

They also have completely missed that the crash was American only. In other countries, comics remain a viable form of media for many different genres, age groups, and audiences.

Here in America, Dr. Fredric Wertham's "Seduction of the Innocent" was one of the main proponents of strangling the medium for literally decades. The damage is still obvious and widespread, and probably won't heal for another half century at least. Yet what CG and the like want isn't a return to the pre-censorship era of comics, where the medium was actually exploring different genres in America; they want a return to the stifled, tone deaf, neutered era where the only viable stories were good versus evil, where the protagonist was a hero who had to fight a villain.

Of course, they want the 90s nadir back too, but even those 90s comics could explore political and ethical themes beyond the norm. CG is basically the definition of that which they claim to hate: Censorship champions, who want to stamp out anything interesting or that goes against their common views. Stories that explore hard issues are scary.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Eh, some 90s comics were good. There was just such a huge glut of terrible ones that they tended to drown out the good stuff in our memories.

I'm not entirely sure we need to post in here whenever frog boy posts a dumb, self-aggrandizing comment though. I mean, he does it so frequently we'd never stop. It's not exactly industry news to hear "EVS still ten miles up his own rear end, licking his own spleen".

That's me, though. Keeping up to date on the projects these idiots are doing and getting the word out that, no, these assholes aren't pillars of the community, they're loving Nazis is still important.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The thing is, most of these idiots DO forget that. They think that 90s comics sold massive numbers because they were just SO GOOD, and then SJW stuff somehow made the entire comics industry vanish into the ether. Just poof, all the sales gone because Batman couldn't say the N-word.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I don't really think it's Comicsgate adjacent to want to make titty art or the like. It's Comicsgate adjacent when you start saying that all media should reflect your tastes in titty art, and that them not doing so is the work of the SJW conspiracy that exists only to destroy your right to titties.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Refresh my memory - Panders is the Archie Sonic guy?

Penders, and yeah, he's the guy who basically sued Archie for his Original Characters, and won because Archie's lawyers were essentially the equivalent of legal tapioca.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

There's an entire thread where he can be discussed more if you must, but something to know is that he has proudly stated that he considers his original character, Pepé-Le-Pew-but-He's-James-Bond, to have hosed an underaged teenager before Sonic could. Said OC was explicitly like 30. Said teenager was the female lead of the book and also like 15-16 and Sonic's love interest.

That is the kind of rear end in a top hat Penders is.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know they’re just chuds arguing in bad faith anyway, but... it’s a loving comedic comic book where the whole style is meant to be goofy as poo poo with everyone doing stupid expressions.

How are they so consistently bad at this poo poo?

They don't actually read or like comics.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Astribulus posted:

It seems even counting is beyond them. Why are there eight people in the seven?

Haha, silly Astribulus.

Women don't count as people to them.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

consider the fact that every tech billionaire from Steve Jobs [...] have extremely strict “no phones/no tablets” households for their own kids

yeah, look, i'm sorry this is how you had to find out, but...

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Politics are things that I don't agree with

It's exactly this.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

BoosterDuck posted:

comicsgate's been going on for 3 years and all they have to show for it are a bunch of crowdfunding campaigns that were supposed to fuel a cottage industry but I don't know if they actually are?

Depends on if you consider "maybe two guys' mortgages" a cottage industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Aaronicon posted:

It's at least a two cottages industry then

:golfclap: