Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Sorry I haven't been contributing much -- quoting myself from the other thread, regarding the video of Acosta viciously dismembering the white house intern, a fact which anyone can verify as easily as playing the embedded video in the tweets:

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/...genumber%3D6441

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1060374680991883265

This all made me realize that chuds make a point to consume fake news on purpose. They are proud that they consume fake news, because it demonstrates their loyalty even better than consuming real news supporting their team. It turning out fake is the point. They must remain loyal to the most undefeatable abuser they see.

Whoever said the whole country is experiencing Stockholm syndrome with how they're reacting today hit it on the nail. Personality psychology of abuse is pretty much the most useful lens through which to view American culture and media right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The people on top of course know this and plan and manufacture these incidents the right way for the masses who have cult-like tendencies and who want to demonstrate their loyalty, and the cycle continues. This one was apparently prepared for and thus staged:

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/st...genumber%3D6442

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There's also the whole ingroup / enemy aspect of this and the classification of Acosta as an enemy. And the enemy has been known to use this same hated tool (sex assault charges) against chuds, allegations which must have been unfounded, because it is more loyal to say that they must have been unfounded.

Therefore the injustice of this situation (seeing the video and seeing that the incident did not occur) is not merely lost on them, it is accepted as an irony and a justice because of accepting the prior, that he used this weapon of unfounded charges in the past on the chuds and the chuds are now using it on him. Their team got a win, gently caress the others. The truth isn't even a casualty of this logic, it's not even on the table.

The only way to deal with a chud is to win, by any definition. Winning with fake news or a weaponized story that is not even real just proves that you pulled all the weight (not the meritless story) through sheer force of loyalty and deserve all the credit for the victory.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's also like chuds are treating each event that transpires as though they are playing some video game that they're not really invested in, the plot of which they think is stupid, and they just want to select the right decisions to get to the end of the game faster. Often they employ a strategy guide (media talking points) to make their selection. We're all NPCs in their game and that's why they call us as such. The natural empathy people have sometimes for others, even outsiders, cannot break their delusion. Luckily we are slowly learning how to deny them empathy too enough to beat their stupid game and erase all their loot.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's a great answer. To piggyback on it with a shorter one, here's my guess:

The most un-narrativist human behavior is empiricism (use of the scientific method). Any time you're trusting the available evidence of your senses even against your own beliefs about reality, you're definitely not buying into a cult-like narrative.

I believe that is the best answer to your question because I believe its opposite form:

The most Narrativist behavior is fascism. Fascism, the opposite of communism, says a lot of specific things about society (placing value on the privileged few versus on the suffering masses) but let's ignore all that for a moment and take it as a philosophical statement: Every fascist idea boils down to "might makes right" -- and that right there is a pretty cult-like rejection of scientific reality.

Both fascists and Narrativists will ignore the information provided by their eyes and their ears if it helps them be more loyal to the narrative and to stay on the right side of the scariest most powerful members of the in-group (real or imagined). I believe Narrativists' apparent fear of the outgroup must only be considered in the context of an even greater fear of the consequences of going astray from the ingroup. A racist isn't truly afraid of the blacks based on any reasonable information, what they truly fear is how they'll be treated by the whites. A religious person doesn't sit all day trembling in fear of satan, they sit all day thinking of their fear of God. Narrativists give in to whatever delusions protect them from the abuse they imagine their in-group can unleash; in accepting these delusions they deny themselves information about the world, about any immutable reality they might share with others. They still see reality and in some sense they still believe it, but it's not important to them; they have committed to a lifelong plan of acting contrary to it to pacify their abusive culture, so they functionally are not living in reality.

Anyone behaving like a Narrativist is unable look at themselves and decide what they value (themselves to be happy, others to be happy, an end to suffering, systems to work well, etc.) and pursue those things from first principles; they are unable to disregard all prior assumptions to follow any sort of reasonable policy about collecting new information. They are too beaten down by Stockholm syndrome to pursue those things and process information normally. Those wants are replaced by a singular want, for their culture to win, for their leaders to win, even at their own expense. The result is a war on life and information itself -- a war on everyone but their abusive role models.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 02:39 on Nov 11, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also if you just want a concise operational definition of Narrativism, maybe it's "cult-like behavior found outside of cults"

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
From another thread

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

post trump voters realizing that their childhoods never died under trump

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1070071249253093376

Strongman-type personalities are very appealing in times of socioeconomic or political crisis, as the population is less able to think rationally but is rather overcome with fear, or desire to draw strength from fantastical ideas. This happens to normal people in times of stress, or to people whose development has been stunted because of emotional injury. The problem is, the person who promises the impossible and states, “I alone can fix it,” and gives himself an A+ on his performance, is not a strong person who can deliver but the opposite. So Mr. Trump’s “base“ looks for someone to rescue them and their intense yearning does not allow them to see through his deception, while Mr. Trump senses better than anyone their needs (they are his) and makes use of them for his own benefit—even as he disdains his supporters for being so gullible. In this manner, they fulfill each other’s emotional needs in a mutually unhealthy way.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I've always had kind of a mental block on understanding reddit compared to twitter so for my part I'm glad to hear your material's going to be more visible and citeable on there. Specifically I think a big twitter thread written to expose each specific cult behavior you know of in depth with many examples could get a lot of traction, because it's readily citeable (retweetable) any time there is a current event that fits the pattern the tweet thread warns people of. Good luck

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's goddamn great news

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also just in case you've been out of the loop, this has been a weird week for CSPAM because the Trump Piss Tape dropped and seemingly only our forum has it or will talk about it

Link:

http://pissta.pe/ (NWS, and also morbid if you think about it)

An animation comparing it to recent footage of the same room in Moscow:

Mockup using the public floorplan and furniture arrangement from said recent footage:

Earliest source of it we can find on the internet:

https://archived.moe/b/thread/790068578/#790073144

So it looks like Roger Stone / disgrunted FBI agent / Kremlin / Nathan Fielder unceremoniously dropped it there and made no fanfare about it whatsoever until the CSPAM Trump thread happened to make a big fuss

More careful analysis can be found in the CSPAM Piss Tape Is Real thread starting around when it arrived there. Current consensus is that the clip is probably the real thing, and if not the expensive resources that went into it all but confirm that the real thing exists for them to go to this much trouble to try to mitigate it leaking.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823044&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=57

Even the least decorum-filled reporters so far have refused to touch this for fear of the file's unknown backstory ruining their careers

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Feb 2, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I do not think that anyone, blue checkmark or no, has compiled the above information into a twitter thread, much less all the other observations in our own thread about it. Instead of any carefully collected analysis, so far I think we've only tweeted it at reporters like it was some kind of shock video out of context and they've understandably dismissed it. Doing it right still remains to be done by anyone.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Sign me the gently caress up for some meds too while you're at it, I can't take this dumb week anymore

Prester Jane posted:

Not that caution isn't warranted and it's wouldn't be prudent to deliberately attack attract the attention of the alt right. My experience thus far however is that my identity as a self-aware schizophrenic transwoman raised in a cult is so unbelievably hilarious to them that they either just can't take me seriously or think I'm some sort of leftist TobleroneTriangular

lol nice

I do agree that we should expect to see twitter chuds eventually throwing all the terms around even more than our side does, in disingenuous and blatant acts of projection every time

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Feb 2, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also if it was really intellectualizing something completely obvious, we wouldn't have people who still fall for narratives and can't recognize the similarities between their narrative and another

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Or Funder (Scott Dworkin) who IIRC just straight up makes poo poo up that supports leftist narratives of uncovering crimes, and then keeps doing it and never answers for the past ones that never amounted to anything such as "existing in real life".

Are you talking about the Krassenstein brothers, no one would retweet them on purpose, IIRC they just sell dorky books with the superficial trappings of #Resistance

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Party Plane Jones posted:

there's the woebegotten fake krassenstein brother, ken klippenstein, who is actually a decent reporter who you might have confused them with

Ah I thought it was a parody account, definitely good though

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

drat like just reply with that and call it a day

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Could you make one that's much shorter, with bigger text, written with more accessible language? People have really low attention spans on twitter, and often, small screens as well.

More importantly than that, though... The first sentence of the explanation should get straight to the point in a jargon-free way (don't mention "Narrativist" or make any citations in the first sentence). Otherwise people will see it as containing jargon they're not "in" on or ready for and will stop reading, or worse, dismiss it as some random person's pet philosophy which no one wants to hear about.

There shouldn't be too many sentences after that first one, nor any with big formal words. It's twitter, people shitpost here. Rewrite it for that format as small as it can go without it missing the point. Just say what the concept is, including the nice efficient opener.

Leave all the disclaimers for another post. Confidently assert that compaction is a real concept, this is its real definition, and leave the word's origin and your defense of it for later replies when actually called on it. The presentation should demand the reader accept the definition as the universal, unequivocal meaning of the word if you really want to go through with inserting it into the world's lexicon.

edit: Also, crop the images better to remove the extra web browser poo poo and cut it off at nice paragraphs so you're not splitting paragraphs between images. If you want this to be the one tweet about this that spreads and makes a big impact then invest perfectionism into it

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Feb 6, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also, isn't the most easily-understood demonstration of compaction possble found in stories of failed prophecies from doomsday cults? The doomsday date comes and goes, and many members leave (the soft ones, the "water"). The ones who are left (the increasingly compact "ice") are the ones who will likely never leave, and increasingly radicalized after pushing the softies out. That visual seems essential when comparing to your other visual, the slush ball. I don't really make that mental pairing as well reading what you compared the slushball to (something more vague) in the current post.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 07:06 on Feb 6, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Cool

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I got confused because I'm seeing the phrase "learn to code" a lot during a programming job search, used a benign way, yet I remembered you had made a big deal about it on Twitter earlier this year so I finally went back and tried to find why.

Holy poo poo you were onto something. There's alt-right people going around on twitter and spamming the poo poo out of this, but not at all in the benign way that is normally seen. They're hiding behind the usual innocuousness of the phrase, and not even bothering to hide well. They're using it to discourage any left-wing writers and in several cases have paired it with threats. gently caress them.

For anyone who can stomach it look at the replies to one of her tweets about it:

https://twitter.com/prester_jane/status/1091506472058478592?lang=en

There you can see that by pointing out the narrative, Prester quickly absorbed the full focused cruelty of that group.

Context:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1090068240125054981

https://twitter.com/Prester_Jane/status/1090081462085287936

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Nevvy Z posted:

What do we call useful idiots who embrace the outernarrative whole heartedly ?

Liberals / centrists

That's who it's meant for too. The types of people who have no real ability (or enough of a spine) to categorize someone as willfully abusive or negotiating in bad faith, who fundamentally misunderstand the nature of power in politics, are the folks believing the outer narratives at their face value and easily falling for tricks like concern trolling.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Apr 11, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Prester Jane posted:

Cooperators have a very shallow grasp of their own beliefs and (quite naturally) presume everyone else operates the same as them. As a result they default to taking people at face value and rely on designated authority figures to identify and remove bad-faith actors. They further have a strong tendency to regard it as greatly innapropriate for themselves to identify bad-faith actors.

That reflects my experience exactly, good summary

Prester Jane posted:

Edit: when #Learntocode was launched on 4chan the Russian botnet was massively signal-boosting the harassment campaign.

Oooo about that, a lot of opinions have changed around here on russiagate. Not that there were not of botnets operating from russian IPs or that the mafia wasn't big in the botnet industry, but that other nations (Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc) and organizations (and individuals) were operating them too and interfering too, and it's probably best to just call it "the botnet". As Uglycat points out a lot of it isn't even "bots" per se but individuals running tons of accounts via persona management software.

But the point is, it's just "the botnet" now, and sticking "russian" on something is starting to be seen as synonymous with centrist media narratives that essentially became indistinguishable from Q-Anon, which doubled down when their prophecy (that Trump's arrest was eminent) failed upon the Mueller investigation's end. These are narratives that say there can be no way to fix things besides following the Russia story, finding something, and somehow the big Armageddon comes and reverses the 2016 election, all the appointments, puts Hillary back in charge, etc. while expecting the establishment to suddenly come around on the idea of prosecuting members of its own ruling class. The narratives are now seen as very harmful because they've successfully distracted the left from much easier ways to attack Trump. And have simultaneously provided a very easy target for chuds to point to for how easily the liberal media gets played by one thing. One poster suggests that the media was intentionally put on this wild goose chase by the CIA/FBI as a way of attacking both the media and Trump, by leaking just enough information to get them convinced that something big was happening behind the scenes legally and to expect a soft coup, or as they put it, the best way to grow mushrooms is to feed them poo poo and then keep them in the dark.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Except we saw it happen, just a page ago in her "learn to code" tweet thread

lol if you think that every single one of those trolls didn't hit "report" on her, knowing full well that it will successfully game the twitter moderation system

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What'd be ideal is for big name prof to interview her and write about her experience to "legitimize it" for journals and such. And maybe sell that idea to them in the first place using yet more third person accounts of her. Just open right away with other people's testimony, and it looks less like yet another framework that only its author has seen or paid notice to.

(Sorry again for my total lack of help this year, I didn't expect to suddenly leave student life, and then designing a course got to be really all consuming)

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Jun 18, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also, knowing academics, there is a huge fear of commitment or implied commitment by even acknowledging an e-mail, when it could potentially lead them down a research path besides the one they already have years of sunk cost into. Even if you're dangling the right answer right in front of someone they're going to want to stay the course and not branch down a different path or flip on another burner on their stove in their already panicked life. That's just the type of people who take the job. The incentives might need to line up just right for them to even open their eyes to a new idea

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's true that the academic world provides some opportunities to connect up your work to existing work on cults, and more case studies to read about. But connecting up the vocabularies and such is not strictly necessary to make your biggest impact. Don't feel that you need their endorsement at all to be valid in the modern social media driven world.

Besides that, academics has itself been part of the problem by producing a class of people who excessively believe in the power of formal education to fix everything.

This brings me to the problem of education that I've identified lately. Everyone likes learning, but no one likes "being educated".

People want to learn on their own. Minds are never changed by debate, but by life experience. We in here know that. Liberals do not know that. The mainstream liberal media wants to train you to be that friend who is in perpetual know-it-all mode explaining things to everyone, but the truth is no one likes that guy.

Strikingly, to "educate" others seems like the only rhetorical tool that centrists know. I just realized that it explains so much to think of it that way. The hallmark of a centrist is the misguided attempt to educate the unwilling, to educate their way out of the world's problems, while themselves lacking any other social tools. No understanding of power differences at the individual level, or irrecoverable failures at the institutional level, just a desire to "educate" without those tools.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
On that note I think I can now explain why it is that centrist liberals treat socialists and leftists worse than they treat the alt-right and nazis: They cannot figure out how to "educate" leftists better.

In their minds a right wing fundamentalist surely means well, but just doesn't know any better because of their unfortunately outdated church upbringing. Surely no one is "racist", just misinformed. Same goes for "selfish", "abusive", "oppressive", etc. All those poor individuals just haven't heard the truth of their hurtful actions yet.

Leftists though? They seem to know better, yet they choose to act up and break rules anyway. So they must be the worse ones. Attempts to educate a leftist always just result in embarrassment at finding they understood things perfectly well. Eventually, the centrists attribute malice to leftists where they absolutely refused to do so for right wingers! Centrists grew up in a world of rampant right wing authoritarianism, and because of that they cannot fathom calling out a right wing abuser for what they are, or applying a "label" to anyone, except to leftists who do not fall under their world's protections.

Naturally the centrists "bless your heart, you just don't understand" attitude comes off as very condescending and insulting to a right winger who understands that motives are at issue, not knowledge -- hence why the right responds with insults and hate to liberals, and reciprocate none of the goodwill. Most of all they despise liberals not for missing the point or even being insulting, but for being weaklings who don't understand they're in a world that runs on power, threat of force, monopoly, hegemony over capital, and respect -- and for being that world's ignorant rulebreakers.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 00:38 on Jul 5, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah me too, it's a super confusing issue.

Because it is both true that Russiagate has been transformed by the centrist media into a cop-worshiping institution-worshiping xenophobic cult --- and also true that large-scale activities (cultural pushes, psy-ops) are being attempted and occasionally discovered, done by a number of state actors (only one of which is the Kremlin).

No matter which of those two truths anyone speaks to, there's just no way to sound good right now when talking about Russia. It's probably best to just leave the actual word "Russia" out of every accusation from now on, because it's also associated with the whole Russian population (totally innocent people) and because it's transformed into a trigger word for baiting the media. The word has become totally separate from any specific action or group, and more of a badge identifying believers.

And the word discounts the actions of several other governments known to interfere in our culture and elections in equally major and equally illegal ways (Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc). Who can blame all the other world governments from trying to subvert ours right now, when it's currently this weakened, the populace this easily scammed, the voters this susceptible to totally moronic movements like Trump-ism, Musk-ism/Bitcoin, etc. It's America's fault, specifically our institutions' faults, for failing that disastrously in the first place. Russia-gate is primarily used by the media as a distraction from the fact that our own institutions are working against our own people and need to be overthrown.

There's a CSPAM thread for Russiagate skepticism and they would have a field day with the above post, as evidence-backed as some assertions are. I recommend checking it (the Mueller believers thread) extensively to see how deep into cult territory the media goes the *other* way -- on the anti-Russia side. Observe the narrative dysphoria and compaction that resulted immediately upon the Mueller report being released, when they all said it was being suppressed, because it was going to spell Trump's doom immediately and he'd be replaced on a day of reckoning. The belief that on that day the cops and institutional leaders would turn on their own because of the letter of the law, lol.

Anyway, maybe the Kremlin runs QAnon. I don't know, it's a complex situation and I'm not read up. All I know is it's fine to wonder aloud if specific bad actors are behind specific events, but it has to be done with full acknowledgement of the weird cultural backdrop (MSNBC) that it's happening in.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Jul 10, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Pope Guilty posted:

BuzzFeed just this morning released a recording of Russian government spooks secretly meeting with representatives of Italy's largest right-wing party to discuss funnelling millions of dollars in Russian oil money into funding that party. Putin and his people are actively doing shady conspiracy poo poo to advance the cause of fascism in many countries. Reflexive dismissal is no longer justifiable.

Sure Russia's doing it, but they're not the only government doing it to us, even to the same degree. Our institutions won't save us from it and frankly they shouldn't have been weak to it in the first place. Being woke to the attacks on our country will not save our institutions (only re-making them from scratch will) -- nor are our institutions sound enough for us to expect them to withstand attack anymore. Attacks on America are a predictable symptom of a dying America, not the cause. The cause is that our institutions are poison and our economy is poison, and redirect any efforts to repair them incrementally into protecting their own leaders and poisoning us better.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Prester, Sheng-ji Yang is another russiagate skeptic like myself and you're going to likely continue to get frustrated (and frustrating) reactions from russiagate skeptics for a while. As such, it's worth it to figure out that exactly their message is and whether you need to combat it, or acknowledge their points but still deflect them somehow, or maybe not even that.

I'm not sure if you saw my post but I really do recommend going through the Mueller believers thread from page 1 to at least see what the messaging is in there (that it resembles a cult movement).

Once you look at Maddow's show as a doomsday cult you might yourself then find that you're unable to un-see it.

The concepts of narrativism explain the entire style of CNN and MSNBC's modern sensational attention-grabbing ratings-grabbing message, especially when taken as a snapshot from a couple months ago during the Mueller Report frenzy and subsequent liberal letdown afterwards, and the absolute refusal of parties like Maddow to acknowledge the poor predictions and misdirections of her movement, not even missing a beat to spin the narrative much deeper to make up for it. It's straight out of your textbook.

I think you'll be less frustrated by today if you open the Mueller believers thread just to take some time to laugh at the crazier and worse parts of that truther movement. No one should be able to paint you with the same brush without you being armed with the knowledge of what that brush is.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Jul 10, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
And posts like the one right above are frustrating too but shitposts are just a necessary part of CSPAM not devolving into nothing but easily trolled D&D style longposts. You gotta be able to take that sort of thing here. I know you can. Getting disrespected a bit doesn't mean your efforts are worth any less. This thread has helped a lot of people see why people act the way they do and what's going on in the right wing. Don't let anything discourage your mission.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Chokes McGee posted:

did this thread get moved from d&d or something because this is like actual scholarly debate and I think CSPAM is too dumb for it

I mean I know I am

I'm basically over here going :shuckyes: and looking to see who ate sixers for Shenji so I know who to keep an eye on

It was a D&D thread and the usual suspects came in and trolled Prester with super long but bad-faith posts in the usual way until it was unreadable. Then when the mods started targetting her but not them she ragequit and I told her CSPAM would be a lot more welcoming because we don't put up with concern trolls and will shitpost them the gently caress out of here, and are overall more aligned with her anyway by hating both right wing cults and centrist platitudes

It "belongs" in D&D insofar as effort threads do -- but not insofar as SA culture goes, and those guys already ruined it by being assholes

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Jul 11, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Prester Jane posted:

I worked really hard to lead by example and set a tone in that thread that really encourage people to just go with ideas and see where it took us, have a bunch of discussions about those ideas, and then try to bring it back to Earth.

I tried to go off in a direction with an idea at the end of the page before last and you didn't reply :shrug: The "wtf is all this about" posts just get more engagement. If you want, it's possible to leave them unacknowledged and move on.

There are a lot of "wtf is all this about" posts and "how do you know that" posts here now that it's in CSPAM, because to them it's new. Probably one of the tradeoffs of moving here; it was kind of trading a familiar and well-versed in-group to a much larger out-group. With the higher traffic here comes a much higher number of people who haven't read your stories or know your background or concepts but who feel free to talk anyway.

It's probably easier said than done to just refrain from engaging with people who aren't regulars, repetitive though it may be, because how else can an idea grow but without new recruits. Harder still because it's impossible to stop anyone from just dropping in and leaving low-effort questions and thoughts anyway, due to CSPAM's unrestrained culture and chat-like pace. The thread probably won't go back to feel of a "small in-group" as long as it's so visible here, but maybe that's not a bad thing. There's also benefits of being in CSPAM (no centrists). It beats reading fishmech posts (and the replies from anyone who takes the bait), trust me.

*For the sake of not making the thread seem tense, this post's first sentence is not meant to be a callout -- no harm done, the post didn't need a reply. Just trying to think up a possible model for why it's different here.

Prester Jane posted:

Ever since I started this thread instead of trying to take is trusting thoughts and see where they go or make my case from usual positions, most of what I've gotten his either critiques on how I'm proceeding on this work, recommendations on how I need to stop what I'm doing on the work and get as close to a university education is possible first, endless list of things I should be doing or ways I should be doing this or that, and I haven't hardly been able to complete a thought.

...this stuff might be a symptom of some of the previously dedicated people not following you out of D&D to here -- if so, why didn't they and can they be brought here? Plus the effects of the much higher traffic CSPAM gets which would maybe outnumber them.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Jul 17, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Makes sense, the internet makes you stupid and Americans all have it now

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's a great interview because it demonstrates the only way to get through to people caught up in a movement. Not with debates or big revelatory evidence that you think is most damning, that never works --- but rather setting them up with actual lived experiences.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Aardark posted:

Swooping in to say so-and-so was right based on some vague prediction is a classic right wing idiot tactic.

No, it's a cult tactic. This thread is about studying cult behaviors and has established repeatedly that they're not limited to the right wing, case in point the Mueller report worshipping centrists. Even those on the far left are susceptible to cult behaviors because all human brains are, but we at least have some humility and self-reflection about it since we are bothering to study them in the first place. Lurk more.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Prester Jane posted:

I saw the original, and I just don't even know what to say.

I did too

Helsing I just want to say I think (hope) you might be overestimating how we in here react to PJ's theories a bit. I mean we like her metaphors and stories a lot, but if she were to just up and declare tomorrow that some element about the Russiagate conspiracy is definitely going to happen or was going on in secret, I don't think anyone here would bite. In fact most posters that I've read here have agreed with you that there is a US media movement about Russia that itself is far more influential, well funded, and dangerous than Russian efforts. Folks in CSPAM are a little bit more cautious about information than elsewhere.

Willie Tomg your reading list recommendation would go over better by actually including stuff from it and not being weirdly hostile. It's easy, just don't be weird, people. It sounds like a pretty relevant and good read though.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Aug 9, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
We could do it like the ending of this

https://vimeo.com/202443968

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Economics is taught as a narrative

MiddleOne posted:

I'm halfway convinced that econ101 is just some psy-op to misinform as many people as possible about how economics works. Particularly law and business students since they are the ones most likely to never get to delve any deeper.

comedyblissoption posted:

all of neoclassical economics, the predominant western economic school, is a psyop

comedyblissoption posted:

like, they had to crush classical economics and decry its foundations as naive or debunked b/c the claims and the implications were very troubling for capitalists, often with prominent classical economists themselves heavily criticizing certain rentier capitalist activities, so they could fund and create a neoclassical school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Wasn't The Family one and the same with Epstein's sex trafficking ring or an even more expansive and horrible one with more money behind it

Back when it was in the news I remember hearing that's how they recruited (and later, probably blackmailed)