Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

and helpfully arrested the british mission. You know, the mission of the only country that actually tried to help.

Can you give me some more information about this ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

bold action rifles

I assume this is a typo, but it seems like something that could plausibly have been the name of something...

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
:magical: The more I look at it the dumber it gets.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

The reason the StG 44 was an evolutionary dead end is because everyone quickly realized that you could do what it did in a simpler way for less money.

Nazi Engineering.txt

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Nick Moran did a video on the early T-34s and their teething problems here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JbJuXE3JE

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

HEY GUNS posted:

those interpretations are cask-strength wedgewood, and peter wilson and i have dedicated our lives to saying she was wrong

Feel like expanding on this statement?

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Thank you. I wasn't sure exactly who and what the original comment applied to.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Koramei posted:

The presence/lack of domesticatable animals, which he stressed is specifically as based on the luck of geography determining which regions had them and which didn’t.

Also like I said I haven’t read it but that example of his racism sounds a lot like you either misinterpreting something or blowing some minor aside he put in to emphasize his counter narrative way out of proportion.

Yea, IIRC the point of that argument was that people who spend most of their time mastering the use of complex machinery, will be less skilled at improvising tools from random materials, compared to people who spend a lot of time making basic tools from scratch.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
On the whole aim for the weak points thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PL2HFLRMI0

Seems like soldiers were encouraged to try and supress tanks to make it easier for the dedicated anti-tank stuff to do its job

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
I believe the Nizhny Tagil factory complex was a licensed copy of River Rouge. So there is Albert Khan again.

That man was one of the most important persons for WW2 having the outcome it had.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
All fortifications in history can be looked at as you need X resources to take this area.

The effectiveness of fortifications in any specific time or place is dependent on how easy it is for an army of the time to amass X

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Among all the other things wrong with that rant, studies made by the Norwegian army indicate that the rate of sexual harassment goes down when the number of women in the units goes up.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
So apparently this is a thing now :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-XrDUBR6bE

Melodramatic presentation aside, what do you think about the historical parts of it ?

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

What you skip Iron Maiden entirely?

If Maiden has published videos on the historical background of their songs, please point me in that direction ASAP.

That aside, Sabaton is one of my favorite bands and the first video they put out was about a battle I never knew much about, so I wanted to see if there was any obvious flaws or slant I should look out for.

Arban fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 8, 2019

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I have no idea where you are from but here in Sweden there is a considerable overlap of not very progressive people who might not like other people (mostly brown) and Sabaton fans.

Which probably, no matter if your band is cool and good, is a direct consequence of putting out songs like Panzer Battallion.

I'm assuming those people just pretend songs like Rise of evil, Final solution and Wermacht dont exist ?
I'm not really paying that much attention to the metal scene these days, but last I looked there wheren't significantly more of those people among the Sabaton fanbase than other metal bands.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Siivola posted:

What part of those songs do you think a Nazi would object to?

The openly anti-Nazi message? The description of Nazis as fools who bought into the lies of a madman ?

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Siivola posted:

a History Channel take you can headbang to.

Fair.
I still hold that they have a lot more songs about Nazis getting there asses kicked than the other way around, and that Neo-Nazis are idiots.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

C.M. Kruger posted:

Somebody in the Airpower thread posted this the other day which is a nice illustration of the size difference:

And American submariners had ice cream machines, air conditioning, refrigeration and freezers, water distillers, laundry machines and plenty of bunk beds. The galley on a Gato class, according to a list I found, had "two griddles, a deep-fat fryer, two electric ovens, a electric mixer, and a two-gallon coffee urn." From what I can find U-Boats had, at most on the larger boats, three hot plates and two small electric ovens, a small refrigerator, a self-heating soup kettle, and a sink. (a feature like how economy cars will list "AM/FM radio" as a feature)

So imagine that, at the same time you've got Germans in harrowing Das Boot conditions in the Atlantic, there are a bunch of American submariners eating steak with french fries, and a sheet cake afterwards because they got a kill that day.

How many crew did they have? big difference there as well?

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
So, was there ever lawsuits over whether someone qualified as a habitual surrenderer or not?
Because that sounds like something that would happen.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks to the Aubrey-Martin novels, my go to is the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic era. Crews are so hard to come by press gangs are at work and prison hulks are emptied of prisoners - meanwhile every officer is trying to climb this ziggurat of rank which is insanely top heavy because seniority is almost everything, and there are all these dudes stuck ashore at half pay, trying to weedle themselves onto a ship where they might have good fortune/get promoted. The RN even had 'sessional lecturers' - officers who worked all the time but would never be promoted, because they were sailing transports or something. In 'Desolation Island', the gang gets saddled with an officer based on a real life one, who was a brilliant sailor but also a belligerent rear end who managed to get himself sent to the bottom of the lieutenant's list, so he's as old as Aubrey but still a Lt, and he's always crabbing about how lucky 'Lucky' Aubrey is.

Lots of people and events in those books are based on real life. Aubrey himself is heavily based on Thomas Chocrane IIRC

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

diesel sniffers

Never heard of these before, anyone got some info?

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Yeah the post war process of dealing with the Nazis was ... messy. Quisling and a score other high-ups getting tried and executed for treason is one thing, but there was quite a bit of vigilante mobs and people using the opportunities to settle personal scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Technology is one of several advantages one can have over ones opponent. whoever manages to get the most advantages and/or remove the enemy's advantages tend to be the winner.