Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

AdiaBOOtic posted:

You guys Im sad halloween is over and I have to change the threads back to normal boring names.

I still have a haunted car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I hope your family has a nice big banana cream pie for Thanksgiving.

That's a lot of implication.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My cheapo Canon 1DII just showed up. I checked the shutter actuations first... 613,000. Six hundred thousand loving pictures this thing has taken. That is amazing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Gingerbread House Music posted:

oops, my oil filter is really clean and covered in diesel.

That doesn't sounds right.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

(speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

Queue Archer meme: Do you want a ruined life? Because that's how you get a ruined life.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of the companies I now do paid work for replace cameras for their full timers at 1 million actuations. I think my jaw hit the ground when their guy they had sent to Aust to supervise the job I was at told me that... I thought I had my cameras working hard at 1900 photos that day but nope he did 6000. The next day I decided to ramp it up and did 2000 per camera, which was still 1500 behind him. Still, four of us over three days.... 40,000 photos for a fairly small event. These guys do Ironman events so on the really big days, you got some cameras doing 5 digit shutter clicks.

(Sports event photography. It pays the bills and 500-600 bucks to be bored and take photos all day? As a casual weekend gig thats pretty decent. It also helps break into more lucrative days)

It *is* pay for play tho. The better the kit you show up with, the more they ask you back and the better the spots they put you on.

How much did you pay for the 1D and also what other 1D's do you know are for sale?

Reverse order response -- I paid $90 for a 1DII with a 6 month warranty. I'm coming at this from a completely different perspective from yours.

You're doing awesome pro-level sports work, which is demanding and can absolutely use all of the features of a high-end, current camera. Nobody's going to need a 4'x6' print of what you're shooting, but you could print one up if you wanted. That resolution also gives you a shitload of flexibility to crop and edit in post.

HOWEVER, that does not reflect what I feel to be the other 95% of camera users, including myself. In the past 15 years there has been a multi-generational explosive evolution of camera tech, and some of the cast-offs are still very viable pieces. I started with buying a 5DII last year with 150k actuations on it for under $200. At that price, I have in my hands a full frame camera that shoots 21 megapixel images that will be every bit as good as a new camera. Strong statement, I'll stand by it.

The feel of a near-pro Canon in your hand is worlds beyond a Rebel or "x0"D. It's solid, it's fast, it feels more mechanically crafted.

Then, there's this 1DII. I was too cavalier when I bought it. I thought it was full frame, thinking that it was current the same time the 5D came out so it'd be full frame, but nope, it's a crop. That kinda changes my pans for it. Original thought was to go to Vegas with a full frame and a 50mm lens for under $150 to see what I could do. Now I think I'm going to go the ultimate insult and put a Sigma 28-90 on it and do the same thing. 50mm on a crop is just too narrow for me.

So, I'm going to shoot the balls off of the 1D and see what happens.

On the feel... well, a tired and beat 1D feels better than the 5D. It's like the difference between a 5D and the consumer models. The 1D is FAST in a way that is hard to quantify. It came to me with continuous high drive mode on and it takes four shots in the time it takes you to put your finger down and pull it up. It's truly impressive. And for $90... poo poo, everyone should have one.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 4, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Also not 100%, due to dribbling. To bring this full-circle, at Thanksgiving in ten years' time STR Jr is going to mention chocolate cream pie and his parents are just going to glare at each other.

Classy finish move. I hate it when metaphors are left unresolved.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sounds like you need to be designing some cross bracing. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I'm about to give that ballot a straight D.

I just D'ed my ballot so hard. I've never done that before, but literally, if it had a "D," then it was for me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

64bit_Dophins posted:

So Rob Zombie was the October theme, what should the November theme be?

My vote is for Underworld.

Still Dragula.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

And Ohio goes virtually all red. Citizens United needs to go, because the number of well-funded commercials and ads presented by shadow corporations was absurd.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

She gave me back the ring

:(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Guess you don't need a uterus to be hysterical.

I mean... You're not good, but you're better than that...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

That'll teach me to decree everything's fine then immediately go to bed.

It's okay, everything's fine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So you'd be fine with me voting for Trump I suppose. Funny how that works, I'm an idiot for not voting, but if I voted for a candidate YOU don't like I'm even worse lol.

Go ahead and think what you want I really don't care, I was just defending people like myself that chose not to vote this time :shrug:

Also I'm going to teach my son to do whatever he feels like doing and I'm not going to hold it against him either way :)

I don't care how you vote, I think you should vote, though. It's a civic responsibility, even though it may seem unnecessary or without merit. As another election comes and goes and the results are the opposite of what the majority of the actual voters voted, it will put more pressure on "the system" to encourage reform.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

To add to what Geog said, manufacturers have done a really good job in rustproofing their vehicles over the last 25 years. Yeah, your suspension components and underbody are going to get lovely to a degree, but nothing like if you were 100 miles North. Bottom line -- don't worry about your car's protection from the elements, focus on your own ability to drive in lovely conditions. That is a skill that will pay dividends.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So. There's a lot of gay and trans chat here lately. And I'm seeing it in other places closer to me, too. My cousin's daughter has been out for a number of years and she just told her dad that they're f2m. Dad is very religious and was okay with the gay, he's taking a bit of processing time for the next step. It's something I can't speak to directly, but I can understand the conflict from both sides.

Which leads to the Always Sunny finale last night. For such and awesomely ridiculous comedy show, they really pulled some poo poo out last night. I'm not going to spoiler it, but drat.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CornHolio posted:

Just got a call from my mom.

My dad had open heart surgery two years ago and had two valves replaced because they were infected. They told him if they got re-infected, he would probably die.

He hasn't been feeling well, and his cardiologist thinks that's why.

gently caress.

Man, AI in general was on a reasonable run until lately, I thought we were going to avoid :fuck2018:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

Not looking forward to a 5-6 hour drive with a 1 year old

Screens in the headrest. Best thing we could have done was bought a Volvo XC90 with rear seat entertainment when my girl was a newborn. I heard way too many kid's shows while driving, but it kept the kids quiet. And quiet is better.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

And nomination for the worst picture in the history of internetdom goes to...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

It's a lexus LS400, why can't i shut these usleess parts of my brain off and figure out my problems :negative:

:ssh: it's not. (but close-ish)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, life goes on. Still sucks. I'd done a fairly good job weeding out the rotten people in my life, I didn't expect one of my inner circle to do lovely stuff.

My inner circle consists of about 8 people, including my wife, kids and parents. Anything outside of that? Suspect.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tomarse posted:

1) Write everything down in a letter. Don’t hold back.

2) Burn the letter

This can actually be quite cathartic.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

Its probably on the radius portion of the tire on the inside. It would be a bit difficult to properly patch... from the inside.

I would just jam a rope plug in it and see how long it lasts.

It'll last.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

He wears a mask, and his face grows to fit it. -- Orwell

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Chicken.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

(gave up trying to get it to embed a video with a start time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo&t=455s

I've had the same problem in reverse lately... can't get rid of the embedded start time.

That car needs a 'busa motor and it'd be the most fun thing ever.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Aren't those metric 340mm rims? I remember back in the 80s we had a few cars, mostly fords iirc, here in Canada that had metric tires and they were drat near impossible to get tires for. How is tire availability in other parts of the world today?

Yikes... Summit Racing has 340mm tires... at $300 each. :stare:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/coker-michelin-trx-tires/wheel-diameter/340mm/maximum-recommended-wheel-width/165mm

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fender Anarchist posted:

Boutta go get my face all covered in hot tranny fluid! :v:

AI has to be the most fluid subforum.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

you signed the title over but did you report the transfer to the state? thats how you free yourself from the liability that comes from situations like this

I think it all depends on the state, so there's no universal recommendation to be made, other than... find out what applies in your state and do it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

FFS. God drat shingles. That's something my 80 year old grandpa got :( Oh well. At least I'm not a scratchy mess.

I had a rash on my arm that came out of nowhere a couple years ago. Doctor immediately claimed it was shingles. It wasn't. It resolved in a week, but weird stuff (nobody ever figured out what it was, skin is strange). I hope yours isn't shingles, I've heard that poo poo hurts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

My wife's company catered a lunch for the local industry professionals and because of the poo poo weather a bunch of people couldn't make it so my fridge is now full of Chipotle catering.

Let's see a scale shot. :getin:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I want a new account theme but how can I possibly top inchi dickari

Save your money.

Queen Combat posted:

Professor: Credible sources are places like the National Institute of Health, papers accessed from the school's online library (like Pubmed, EBSCO, ProQuest), and your textbooks.

Student: Pulls from the NIH, the library, and the textbook.

Professor:

:psyduck:

Using your textbook as a source is both bad form and lazy. NIH Is a proper, peer-edited source.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 17, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

I did exactly as they asked, if you read the picture. Those are my sources for the single paragraph answer I gave to that particular question.

... I was agreeing with you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Wife probably has MS. Seeing neuro in February. gently caress.

meatpimp posted:

Man, AI in general was on a reasonable run until lately, I thought we were going to avoid :fuck2018:

Rhyno posted:

CHIPOTLE

I wanna see your scale, fat Rhyno.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Chinatown posted:

Not sure if this is the place but I got rear-ended by a very apologetic European coupe in a rental car yesterday. (Probably ~5mph?) Only a few scuffs on the bumper but I'm anal with my car and gently caress YOU. SO WHAT THAT YOU WERE LOOKING AT THE GPS. EAT A DICK.

Its almost buffable but I want to get it inspected. I have it on my dash cam. Any advice? Thanks.

I have non-garbage (USAA) insurance.

USAA is usually no-nonsense and will take care of you, but why shame the poor coupe?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

A 3 prostitute fight in Vegas left the biggest tumbleweave I've ever seen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

I love that I can be talking to someone and this comes up in casual conversation.

Thanks for making my life more interesting, MP.

I aim to please. Unfortunately, we got there just after the activity, but it was outside a CVS right across the street from the Bellagio. The CVS employee we were talking to had a picture of one of the combatants, so of course I had to take a picture of her picture. You'll notice that the woman is weave-less.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Ah, the old ménage à brawl.

If only I could have seen it. So many shows in Vegas.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 20, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

beanless or beaned chili?

That's the right way to ask... Because they are both chili. :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elmnt80 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEvxIiNl3rY

Give a gram of pure mdma, some gum, a freezer of icepacks and this game and I'd have a drat good weekend. :catdrugs:

This looks cool, but it reminds me of the first "3D games" where it was more of a tech demo than an actual game.

The poo poo that's going to come out of this tech, though, will be spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

Nashville was all about the hot chicken for me though.

I had never heard of "hot chicken" before this weekend and right now I'm goddamned mad that it is nowhere near me. I tried Hattie B's and it is absolutely sublime. Beautiful heat while still having a strong fried chicken taste... yummy.

http://hattieb.com/

• Locked thread