Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ended the night with 207 kids I believe. I texted my brother that lives in a small city in the middle of a neighborhood which is Halloween central and he had something like 500 or some drat thing. I think he tries to buy all his candy for the kids today so he has it for next year.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Your numbers are slightly off (LMP for ovulation window of mid-February would be late January, with subsequent due date around the sixth to ninth), but I applaud your attempt to gross out fellow posters.
It's my birthday next week. I never thought of when my parents got busy, ever. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Are they actually worse panels than other TVs from the same brand or are they just short of features compared to other models?

I always understood it was the later but high end electronic stores would say that the panels are seconds and stuff like that to scare people away from them, but when asked for some sort of proof they are substandard there never is any.

Or is there?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

shy boy from chess club posted:

My cat is fluffy and stripey

My jealousy burns with the rage of 1000 suns.

I've literally wanted a pet skunk ever since I was 5 years old :(

In other news, new company truck came in. 2019 Silverado LD. I should be driving this for a couple years. Not entirely surprisingly, gets noticeably better fuel economy than the smaller Tacoma that it's replacing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

STR posted:

That's a fuckload nicer than I expected for an LD! I was expecting a stripper model.
I know, I was pretty surprised too.

I knew from my fleet company it would be some sort of LT model (we don't get absolute stripper work trucks, 1 step up is typical) but imagine my surprise when I realized it was an LT2 (Z71) and not only that, a special edition package with power seats, remote start, dual zone climate, 110V AC plugs, LED fogs, posi-lock, full trailer package even including a good drat built in trailer brake controller.

Chev must be making some sweet, sweet deals for fleet operators on this carry-over model. You only have 1 choice of engine in them now too, a 5.3. The guys that got 17-18 models were all V6 powered basic LTs.

I was a little disappointed when I found out it wasn't going to be the new gen 2019 at first, but after seeing what I got, I'm pretty happy. Wasn't keen on white (we no longer have say on colors) but I think it looks pretty good with the body colored bumpers, grill, etc. I'm just glad to have a mostly usable rear seat instead of the smaller than kid size jump seats with suicide doors in the Taco.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hey, even a small banana can make a for a big cream pie.
Oh man

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

Funny, I would have thought that Elton John would be right up their alley, what with all the leather chaps, studs and tassels. (I never get tired of pointing out exactly how gay BDSM most wannabe bikers actually look. Not because *I* think gay is bad, but because they do - or claim to.)
Between them and all the 50-60 year old dentists, lawyers and real estate agents that need to buy a harley to go along with their HD shirts, belts, jackets, hats and wallets to show how young and tough they are.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

Man, the sellers have had more than half of our requested repairs completed. We might be able to close on the original date.
What did the engineer say about the bowing wall and the remediation? Not sure if you posted about it earlier or not.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If nothing else, removing the drywall will give the opportunity to see far better what's going on.

Hope it all works out for you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

So. house stuff. The service tech at one of the properties my wife worked at is having a rough time financially. He mentioned he was looking for side jobs and he's a licenced contractor so we're having him do the wall repair and he's gonna toss a quote at us to paint the whole house. He's also going to demo the french doors and wall up the hole. As we have access they've also given us the go ahead to start cleaning so I'm going over tomorrow to clear the junk out of the attic and garage.
Weren't the current owners doing the wall repair before possession? Or is this a different repair?

Rhyno posted:

Um, they gave us the key lock access code. So we have full access to the house.
While that might not be the best idea on their part (I would personally never do that), I would caution you about doing anything in the house before it's yours. If something goes sideways on the deal you don't want to have your own $$$ in it nor give them any avenue to come after you for anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Aren't those metric 340mm rims? I remember back in the 80s we had a few cars, mostly fords iirc, here in Canada that had metric tires and they were drat near impossible to get tires for. How is tire availability in other parts of the world today?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

cakesmith handyman posted:

14" as far as I can tell, the ones I'm watching on eBay anyway
Just be sure, the pic you linked shows a 340mm tire mounted on that one.

In other news, more confirmation I am possibly the worlds biggest manchild. Stopped by a grocery store on my way home for lunch. Ended up bringing this bucket of goodness home..... of which I am borderline addicted. Previously I have eaten so many of them at one time I have literally, with no exaggeration, caused my tongue to bleed.

I really need to learn to not go to the grocery store when I'm hungry :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good to know I'm not alone with lack of self control with some candies. I'm a total sucker for sour stuff, the more sour the better. The sweet/sour thing just does it for me. Those soothers are consistently the best I've found. Most other sour candies aren't sour hardly at all.

Warheads can be pretty good though, but I prefer chewy candies over hard ones although I think they make chewy ones too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mewse posted:

I hadn't had a sugar binge in a while so I bought a big bag of M&Ms and ate the whole thing after lunch. I feel disgusting now. I am holding you personally accountable

I've got big shoulders dude.

cakesmith handyman posted:

One day I aspire to owning a computer good enough to run a first-person fallout game :allears:
What are you running for a main PC?

Fermented Tinal posted:

gently caress.

Not even 2 weeks old.
Well that's lovely. When I got a crack in my new 1 hour old windshield I was pretty pissed off. Can't imagine this. Hopefully your insurance can give you a replacement. We get it whenever we buy a brand new car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here's my drama today. Dr started me on some physio and muscle relaxants for my back a couple weeks back. Seem to be helping. I can even sleep now, more or less. Day or two after I started on the muscle relaxants, I noticed a rash start on my lower right back (basically right kidney area). Didn't think much of it as it wasn't terribly itchy, but rashes are unusual for me in general. Thought it was maybe a side effect of the medication or something so I didn't really think about it.

After a week it persisted, decided to make an appt to get it checked out as it changed color a bit, but did seem to get a bit smaller. Appt was this morning.

Show it to the doctor (early 30s dude, super nice cool guy), he kind of smiles at me and says
:science: Hey, you have chicken pox as a kid?
:) Think so. Pretty sure.
:science: Congrats. You have shingles!
:( Really? Are you sure it's not just a rash or side effect. It's not really even that itchy or bothers me much.
:science: Haha, yeah, I'm pretty sure. Consider yourself lucky. Bad news is that we need to catch it within about 3-4 days to do much about it, too late for anything now really. Good news is it hasn't bothered you much and it looks like it's going away. At 2 weeks it's pretty much run its course and will probably be mostly gone next week. Stay away from kids, but don't worry too much about it.
:( Thanks.

FFS. God drat shingles. That's something my 80 year old grandpa got :( Oh well. At least I'm not a scratchy mess.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's one of the things that made me so surprised. It's really not itchy or painful at all. If I scratch it, it might get slightly itchy for a moment, but doesn't stick around. Certainly not painful at all. Doctor seemed pretty darned sure though.

Although, a "rash" to hang around for 2 weeks is super unusual for me too, so IDKWTF.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ man, what a lovely deal all around :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Total guess with that molten aluminum, is it's head/block as the fluids catch fire along with all the plastics under the hood.

Another total guess from the wheel arch shape and wheels is Toyota. 4Runner maybe?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Queen Combat posted:

You really should freeze most of that. Refrigerated foods can have lives as short as 3 days.

My wife has a firm 4 day leftover rule for foods in the fridge. I'm closer to a week (and as far as I know never got sick from it). Her father, who is presently batching it because mom is away for a couple months, is still happily chowing down on a vat of Costco Potato Salad that's been in his fridge since something like Aug... maaaaybe Sept. I asked him how long it's been in there and his reply was "I might throw it out, it's tasting different now but I just add some hotsauce to it. :)"

Hey :canada: if you bought a CRT TV between 95-07, you can claim a chunk of free money.

http://www.crtclassactioncanada.ca/

No proof of purchase necessary.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey question to ask without wading into console-specific threads in games, and I kind of trust the hive mind here a little more....

I am thinking about getting a new video game console for myself and probably also buy one as a gift to my father in law for xmas this year. There are some good black friday deals on and coming up and not sure if I should stick with Sony or jump to MS.

We both presently use a PS3 as our main home entertainment hub but not necessarily handcuffed to Sony, although I do like the Gran Turismo series. We do both own a PS3 and various assorted games along with it, although it doesn't sound like there is backwards compatibility so I'm not sure if that has any value. Besides, it's not like the current PS3 has to be thrown away.

We both have 1080p TVs, is there any benefit going to one of the "upgraded" consoles like the PS4 Pro or Xbox X for 1080p?

Not a huge gamer, but probably would end up buy RDR2 right away for myself, and I'd probably look for car racing games for dad. He also likes pinball games (like Pinball Arcade - owns every season in PS3).

Opinions for which way to go for the casual gamer? Online play is minimal, if any, we might sometimes play head-head in racing games but that hasn't happened in a long time. I see there is a good deal now for a One S bundle w/Forza.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, as I said not being a big gamer exclusives really has minor benefit to me, but it does seem the One S is the least powerful/capable of the 4 machines, so I'm going to rule that one out.

PS4 does seem to have the best/most recommendations going for it and since I plan on buying RDR2 immediately for myself, I'll probably look for a pro RDR2 bundle. A PS4 Slim + RDR2 will probably not be all that much cheaper assuming I can get a decent deal on a Pro.

I'll probably then get some sort of PS4 slim bundle of some sorts for father-in-law, unless the Pro is a really, really good deal as he'll never play RDR2 so it would be wasted on him.

Thanks for the help.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I kind of dabble in VR, but I have a fairly beefy home PC for that (1080ti w/Rift). Although, I could see myself trying PS4 VR if it's any good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mewse posted:

Is brown butter made from chocolate milk? Sounds disgusting
You know what toffee is like? Or a Skor bar? It's butter (and a shitload of sugar mind you in that case) but tastes fantastic. I make a big batch of home made almond roca this time of year which basically is like the worlds largest skor bar with almond bits, and it's soooooo loving good......

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Went to a new physical therapist today to do some work on my back.

Holy poo poo.

She wanted to check my psoas muscle. And by check I mean she reached into my abdomen, under my ribs (literally, I'm not exaggerating), around my organs and hunted around like she was checking what I ate for dinner last night by feel. If you've never had it done, it wasn't completely unbearable, close, but do-able, but it wasn't fun.

Saying to relax when it feels like your getting multiple shivs into your abdomen is easier said than done.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Suburban Dad posted:

I remember a PT doing this after I had my hips replaced. Holy poo poo I didn't think you could go much deeper into my guts. Felt like being stabbed (well, I imagine). Mine was tight too.
Exactly the same. For some stupid reason I was expecting something like massage therapy from her. I was wrong. Very wrong.

I see her again in 2 weeks, I suspect for similar treatment.

My Taekwondo instructor who recommended this PT to me texted me this AM to ask how I felt. She knew exactly what I was in store for as she has had it done many times by her and has really helped with movement. She didn't tell me the process though. Probably best I found out on my own anyhow LOL.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

He's old and frail and moving to the southern part of the state with his son. It's more likely a neighbor realized the house would shortly be sold and jacked the wood.

I'll probably do a silly video walk through of the house tomorrow for yous goons. I gotta run to Lowes and buy a matched lock set for three doors.

Congrats! If you're buying locks, Weiser smartkeys are pretty common now and pretty cool as you can basically key them yourself in the future. Have a guest coming and don't want to give them a house key? Key a lock to their key so they can use it and when they leave key it back to yours. They're kind of neat. Or, of course, keypads are becoming pretty common too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, there is all sorts of poo poo you can do now. Bluetooth locks, wifi so you can open with your phone, same thing with your garage door, it's pretty nuts.

In other news, decided on going the PS4 over Xbox. Just waiting for the black friday deals to start. Unfortunately there is really nothing for the PS4 Pro in :canada: that I can see, so I'm leaning towards buying dad a myself both slims. We don't have 4K TVs and probably won't be buying anything until the next gen comes out, so I'm leaning towards just sticking with the cheaper slim for that reason too.

I might try PS-VR but I'm not sure if the Pro makes enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. From the little bit of research I've done, other than loading times there really isn't much of a benefit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

We want to get the locks done asap for several reasons. All three doors use different keys and the elderly owner was unable to find the keys so there's some worry that there may be copies floating around. We won't have internet service at the house for at least two more weeks so I don't know if the smart lock will be an option. I think the basic keypad is our best bet then.

I'd personally go with a cheapo Weiser keypad on your front/main door, and just regular deadbolts for the rest. You can get smartlocks key systems for all of them... it might even be standard now. They make a really inexpensive keypad that doesn't even have a backup key cylinder (in case your batteries die or something) but that might not be a big deal if you have 2 other doors in the house so ymmv. And yeah, it *should* be super easy to do with the caveat that it's not out of the realm of possibility that an existing door might not have a standard cut-out. Measure the hole to be safe (IIRC 2.125" is standard?) or be extra thick/thin, but 99% chance it should be 5 minute procedure to change them.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The Pro is a bigly step up from the slims in a lot of ways beyond the 4k textures. I wouldn't buy anything but a Pro or an Xbox One X at this stage.
Can you advise what the key difference(s) are for regular gaming other than load times for the Pro? Genuinely appreciate it.

e: Found this.
https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-pro-vs-ps4-what-s-the-difference-1328341

Yeah, it seems like there are some general overall differences even @ 1080p

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 21, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Keypads are handy, and I've had homes with them, but I'd just use put one on the outside door you're going to use 99% of the time. My house has 4 outside doors but only 1 of them is pretty much the ONLY one used if I'm not coming in from the garage. In fact, I don't think I've even used a key on 2 of them since we moved in. They're only used when we've already been in the house. Of course, YMMV.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

QuarkMartial posted:

Welp. My parents make me want to drink. How about y'all's?

Non. Stop. Talking.
Welcome to my world.

I love her dearly, but drat, my mother literally cannot go 30 seconds without saying something. This includes if we're all together watching a movie. I'll literally put the movie on pause, look at her and say "Mom, say what you need to say, and then let's watch the movie OK?" she'll get her nose out of joint, say FINE, we'll start watching the movie.

5 minutes later, starts again. :psyduck:

I cannot understand how someone has to talk about nothing all the time. No, I really don't care about hearing how your neighbors 4 doors down (that I literally don't even know) how their daughter in law is being a bitch to them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

The ceilings and walls will be different paints, that was where my taping question originated. I dont fancy the idea of taping that off but will of there's no other option.

Tape it where you can. If you can't cut well it will look terrible just like how a terrible fill job on cracks/chips will probably look worse than just leaving it.

Protip - Make sure you clean the walls well. Try to pull the baseboards if you can, you will probably need to if you are laying that laminate anyhow. You don't have to be so careful painting .. but if you are really ambitious, new baseboards make a huge difference in the aesthetics of a house and really don't cost much. If you seal the top of the baseboard against the wall gyproc (make SURE you use paint compatible sealant, if not the paint will not stick to it worth a poo poo) it'll look extra pro.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Charles posted:

What about asbestos?

Asbestos was the big concern on builds up until about 1960 and pretty much completely banned in the 70s.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Really? I did not know that. Gotta protect the :quebec: industry.

I thought the only asbestos poo poo we even had the potential of up here in a house of that vintage was flooring like linoleum.

Learn something every day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Galler posted:

A power roller will save a ton of time and effort. I got one of these plus the roller attachment and it made painting 5 rooms a breeze. Getting it setup and then cleaning it when you're done takes a bit so ideally you would paint multiple rooms at once but I did one room at a time and it was still worth it.

Power rollers really do work well., I totally forgot about those. I bought a fairly inexpensive Wagner unit and it was fine. A real time saver.

Good call with the white/light baseboards. I might have missed it, but where you just going to paint your old ones or replace it? If you want to replace the baseboards to even just a plain 3"-4" baseboard, don't even have to have a profile/molded shape, it will make a big difference. They don't cost much either. Here is our living room as our house was just getting finished off. Sorry for the crappy cell pic, and the walls look darker than they really are but it's more of a warmer, light taupe. I like how the light baseboards/trim contrast.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 25, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Adiabatic posted:

Yay Mars lander made it!

First "good" image (not including the initial ones with the dust cap)

This stuff blows me away

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, that's a nice picture. I guess cameras have improved since the last time we chucked a robot at the rustball.
The cameras do seem to improve each new probe.

Interesting fact: The lens dust cover was/is still on for this photo. The descent camera which relayed the first image was clobbered with dust, but this one isn't bad at all. Can't help but think it will be even better once they pop it off.

They were discussing that MRO was passing above insight when it was descending, so there is a chance there might be a good shot of it descending, just like they grabbed an image of Curiosity on descent.

And that kind of poo poo is impressive as gently caress.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fermented Tinal posted:

Windshield on the rental got hit by a rock and chipped with some minor cracking.

$690 to replace.

This is karma for bragging about my low af insurance isn't it?

Where do you live? Prices like that are typically found in areas with public insurance. When I lived in BC I was quoted $650 for my windshield, got the exact same one in Alberta for $240

e: somehow missed the rental part. You would get hosed on that one way or another. Will your credit card help out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dagen H posted:

I want to replace my slow old POS refurb Dell Optiplex 755 with a newer (used) laptop. Internet and occasionally Netflix, no gaming or live streaming. What specs should I be looking for? Any specific recommendations?
If you want to stay with windows and can ante up the price, the surface pro is a pretty decent laptop tablet combo.

• Locked thread