Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bardeh posted:

I can still see the group in my Steam list and there are a ton of people in it, but nobody in chat and I don't think I've seen any notifications or activity from it in yonks. I made this, if anyone wants to join and play some games sometime.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/UKMT

Just sent a request, my username's the same as on SA.

Edit: 299 is apparently slang for a cigarette on urban dictionary?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Gort posted:

How does that square with his previous comments to the tune of, "We'll give you extra negotiating time if there's a change in government"?

Strikes me a classic EU, in that once they have an agreement they will say anything publicly to help get it through.

If a new government came in I would expect them to talk cautiously at first but once they work out they are someone they can work with change their tune very quickly.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I accepted everyone who wanted in to the group. I'm not sure how to make it so everyone can do that, I'll fiddle with it later.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
can someone explain how the guardian went from exposing the NSA to being a propaganda outlet for intelligence agencies?

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2018/11/this-intentional-guardian-fake-news-story-proves-that-the-media-cant-be-trusted.html

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Let's have some nicer news, shall we?

BBC News posted:

A boy who sent a birthday card to his dad "in heaven" received a touching letter from the Royal Mail to say it had been delivered safely.

Jase Hyndman, seven, from West Lothian, received the letter assuring him his message to his father James had made it through the "difficult" journey.

His mother Teri Copland said: "I actually cannot state how emotional he is knowing his dad got his card.

"Royal Mail you've just restored my faith in humanity."

In response to Jase's envelope requesting to be sent to "heaven", Royal Mail's Sean Milligan said: "I just wanted to take this opportunity to contact you about how we succeeded in the delivery of your letter, to your dad in heaven.

"This was a difficult challenge avoiding stars and other galactic objects on route to heaven," the note added.

It concluded: "I will continue to do all I can to ensure delivery to heaven safely."

It'll be awkward when the kid tries to arrange for his Dad to visit in a few years, mind you.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Comrade Fakename posted:

My mum died so I probably won’t be receiving or giving presents with anyone and instead will be having Christmas alone. Good times!

Greetings fellow orphan, if you have more distant family or even friends, consider asking outright for invitations. People are pleased to help if they can, and even a short visit that breaks up the day can make it much more bearable.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

mila kunis posted:

can someone explain how the guardian went from exposing the NSA to being a propaganda outlet for intelligence agencies?

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2018/11/this-intentional-guardian-fake-news-story-proves-that-the-media-cant-be-trusted.html

If I remember correctly, they got hit pretty hard by GCHQ after the Snowden leaks and got the everliving gently caress scared out of them

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

mila kunis posted:

Maybe quit taking your news from a blog run by one weird dude who's still using an AOL email address and is very het up about people who say mean things about Vladimir Putin? Just a thought, la

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

Maybe quit taking your news from a blog run by one weird dude who's still using an AOL email address and is very het up about people who say mean things about Vladimir Putin? Just a thought, la

The general gist of it isn't wrong though is it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ian Austin has written an article in the guardian saying labour should vote for mays deal

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Trin Tragula posted:

yeah i way prefer reputable news sources like the guardian to this insane stuff detailing everything with links and sources

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

Hillary lost the US presidential election.

Well, hope that helps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

"You had a group of six to 10 boys wanting to show off in front of their friends, and that developed into kicks, karate kicks, punching and people jumping around sparring," he said.
Not only normal kicks but also curvy foreign kicks ban this filth.

kingturnip posted:

Let's have some nicer news, shall we?

It'll be awkward when the kid tries to arrange for his Dad to visit in a few years, mind you.
Daily Mail: Now EU's GDPR Lunacy Bans Prayer

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

Ian Austin has written an article in the guardian saying labour should vote for mays deal

That guy sounds like he sucks.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

"Tory-run Northamptonshire county council bailed out by government posted:

The government has in effect bailed out Tory-run Northamptonshire county council after giving it unprecedented permission to spend up to £60m of cash received from the sale of its HQ on funding day-to-day services.

The highly unusual move – accounting rules normally prevent councils using capital receipts in this way – means the crisis-hit authority is likely to escape falling into insolvency for the third time in less than a year.

Ministers gave the go-ahead for the bailout after commissioners sent in to run the council issued a stark warning that without a cash injection, Northamptonshire would be unable to meet its legal duties to run core services such as social care.

Opposition councillors called it a political move to save ministers from having to directly bail out the council. Labour group leader Mick Scrimshaw said: “It is clearly politics. The Conservative government did not want the political embarrassment and for that reason they have been allowed to use these capital receipts.”

Northamptonshire declared itself effectively bankrupt in February after it realised it could not balance its books. It declared insolvency again in July after a review revealed it had understated the extent of its financial problems. It must make good a £70m deficit by the end of March to avoid insolvency for a third time.

Although the council has already set in train a draconian cuts programme for the current financial year to try to overturn the £70m budget shortfall, the commissioners said this alone would not be enough to prevent insolvency.

In a report to the communities secretary, James Brokenshire, the commissioners Brian Roberts and Tony McArdle said the “extraordinary” scale of cuts to services needed in one year to fill the funding gap would breach councils’ legal obligations.

[...]

Rob Whiteman, the chief executive of the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, said the move was effectively a bailout for Northamptonshire. Although it went against accepted accountancy rules and practice, it could be justified on the grounds that the council was being abolished.

Northamptonshire is to be replaced by two unitary authorities under plans approved by ministers earlier this year after the inspectors’ report concluded that the council’s management and financial problems were so deep-rooted it could not be easily turned around.

Enabling the council to convert some of the £60m it received from the fire sale of its new state-of-the-art HQ earlier this year – just months after it moved in – will allow it to clear an underlying £35m revenue deficit, and removes the need for ministers to pump money into the council directly.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

V. Illych L. posted:

blah blah Tory Brexit is shite, if we cannot do better we oughtn't leave at all blah blah wash our hands blah blah disastrous negotiations regrettably we must choose the best of three bad choices blah blah

I reckon Labour will take this line and fight with all the other parties to stop Brexit. The questions after that though are: will it make any difference and what the gently caress do Labour campaign on in the following general election?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

who the hell even knows, politics went utterly mad at some point during the last decade

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol this is exactly why they weren't making cuts like they were told to

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

My mum died so I probably won’t be receiving or giving presents with anyone and instead will be having Christmas alone. Good times!

My condolences.

Tsietisin posted:

I understand how you feel as my mother, the last member of my family, is gravely ill and probably not going to last until Christmas. She has brain tumor and lung cancer.

I'm not sure how I'm managing to hold it together.

Very sorry to read this too.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 30, 2018

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

Wikileaks turned out to be a Russian psyop. Russia invaded Ukraine. Trump won the election. Brexit.

With the world in such a state, with state actors acting in bad faith as standard, as fascism returns to the world: Why wouldn't everyone else be just doing whatever?

The west has lacked strong ideals for decades now. Nothing mattered except the markets and people consuming. Turns out when you don't care about anything the rest of the world is going to exploit every aspect of your society. So today the guardian works for the NSA. In a couple of years plants may have taken over and it now works for Putin. Much like the BBC was just suddenly a Tory propaganda front one day. We blinked and it was like it had been this way all along.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Can you imagine the poor translator who has to try and make trump sound intelligible.

This a total tangent to nowhere but it wasnt until I started learning a new language as an adult, when I actually cared about it compared to learning french at school, that I realised how incredibly difficult and subjective translation is. So much of spoken language is based on idioms and commonly understand references that are impossible to directly translate and a bad translator can make a total hash of things without technically being wrong. That goes triple for diplomatic translators I imagine. What Im saying is Im fairly certain is that at some point a translator has probably either stopped or nearly started a war.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

namesake posted:

I reckon Labour will take this line and fight with all the other parties to stop Brexit. The questions after that though are: will it make any difference and what the gently caress do Labour campaign on in the following general election?

The same things Labour has already been campaigning about?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

jBrereton posted:

By calling a "free and fair vote" whose only aim is to return a different result, you are starting off from a reactionary premise while retaining the most trivial and least important aspect of democracy (the vote). It's peak neoliberalism.

Hugely in favour of this. Also a great money saver to help contribute to John McDonnell's Fully Costed Budget Programme.
how is voting the least important part of a democracy? can you even have one without it (or some other method of determining consensus)? like the debate and the engagement with politics and all that poo poo is also important but in order for the demos to cratise themselves surely they have to be consulted at some point?

and yeah the aim of the people agitating for it currently is to reverse the decision but if e.g. parliament tries to break a deadlock by seeking the public's approval for the deal instead of just saying "gently caress it, we voted down the PMs deal so no deal it is" then would that be undemocratic? what do you actually do in that situation? crash out even though no one really wants to but at least it could be interpreted as the will of the people? just another general election? presumably we have to hope no one tries to turn it into any kind of referendum on anything

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Random Integer posted:

This a total tangent to nowhere but it wasnt until I started learning a new language as an adult, when I actually cared about it compared to learning french at school, that I realised how incredibly difficult and subjective translation is. So much of spoken language is based on idioms and commonly understand references that are impossible to directly translate and a bad translator can make a total hash of things without technically being wrong. That goes triple for diplomatic translators I imagine. What Im saying is Im fairly certain is that at some point a translator has probably either stopped or nearly started a war.

When I had a spate abroad teaching English as a foreign language to adults, I used to explore this with students.
A good example was saying that something "just isn't cricket". We would pull that apart and then I would get them to think of phrases in Arabic (which I was learning) which had the same cultural baggage that wouldn't be appreciated in a straightforward translation.

One funny - I bought a dual English / Arabic text of Macbeth and where the English talks about moors (as in open, sparse uplands), the Arabic word chosen for the translation had used 'marina' (as in mooring boats). We had some fun with that!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/darryljoemurphy/status/1068490881341276161

:yikes:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Captain Fargle posted:

The same things Labour has already been campaigning about?

So a Labour government would put another bill to parliament to trigger article 50 as is the will of the people? That'll cause a huge amount of disarray during the campaign.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Kevinliptakcnn/status/1068526102979653632

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Random Integer posted:

A brother of an acquaintance of mine is (or at least was) a translator at the UN. Apparently he describes it as "high adrenaline" for the reasons you mention - getting the intention behind the language across is really important and not easy and they're under pressure to do it quickly.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Brony Car posted:

Donald Tusk kind of screwed Corbyn, didn’t he? It definitely ramps up the “May Deal or no Brexit!” framing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1068520777362825216

Nah. It's extremely typical EU behaviour. You will find that there's always a fudge to be made if people want it and you're important enough. The UK isn't Greece so you'll get one.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

XMNN posted:

how is voting the least important part of a democracy? can you even have one without it (or some other method of determining consensus)? like the debate and the engagement with politics and all that poo poo is also important but in order for the demos to cratise themselves surely they have to be consulted at some point?

and yeah the aim of the people agitating for it currently is to reverse the decision but if e.g. parliament tries to break a deadlock by seeking the public's approval for the deal instead of just saying "gently caress it, we voted down the PMs deal so no deal it is" then would that be undemocratic? what do you actually do in that situation? crash out even though no one really wants to but at least it could be interpreted as the will of the people? just another general election? presumably we have to hope no one tries to turn it into any kind of referendum on anything

Well we live in a representative democracy so technically anything that parliament decides on unless it's in direct contradiction of a manifesto promise (which people have implicitly voted for) is democratic? Ultimately though it's all shite because the elected representatives should in theory be representing the "will of the people" (I hate that phrase now) but the will of the people is wrong often - e.g. if we had a referendum on capital punishment or nuclear power or any number of other things the public would probably vote for The Bad Thing™ and that's why we elect MPs because in theory we are trusting them to decide poo poo like this, even if it doesn't match necessary with the populist viewpoint.

That said, anything which the public disagrees with *AND* cares about enough will generally not get carried out by a representative democracy. Stuff like the death penalty, yeah if you asked the general public you might get back an answer that we should have it, BUT probably the majority of people will not express a preference strongly enough such that when the government bans it, they'll make much noise about it and that's kind of the key. So I guess we need to agitate against No Deal? I'd like to hope that if it looks like No Deal is a realistic prospect that poo poo will kick off in a huge way.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 30, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

namesake posted:

Campaign on reversing it and rejoining. People will be desperate for an out from the rolling disaster by then.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1068573123367202816

Good news, finally. Shocked to hear that the racist bully has family that live abroad. Never could have seen it coming.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jose posted:

:wall:

What, no emote? Savages.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Ian Austin blocked me for calling him Little Shite Dudley

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Well we live in a representative democracy so technically anything that parliament decides on unless it's in direct contradiction of a manifesto promise (which people have implicitly voted for) is democratic? Ultimately though it's all shite because the elected representatives should in theory be representing the "will of the people" (I hate that phrase now) but the will of the people is wrong often - e.g. if we had a referendum on capital punishment or nuclear power or any number of other things the public would probably vote for The Bad Thing™ and that's why we elect MPs because in theory we are trusting them to decide poo poo like this, even if it doesn't match necessary with the populist viewpoint.

That said, anything which the public disagrees with *AND* cares about enough will generally not get carried out by a representative democracy. Stuff like the death penalty, yeah if you asked the general public you might get back an answer that we should have it, BUT probably the majority of people will not express a preference strongly enough such that when the government bans it, they'll make much noise about it and that's kind of the key. So I guess we need to agitate against No Deal? I'd like to hope that if it looks like No Deal is a realistic prospect that poo poo will kick off in a huge way.

I sort of hope parliament does just go "gently caress it" and cancels the whole thing. They won't, and if they did it would probably go very very poorly for a lot of people with an unpatriotic amount of consonants of their name (although still less so than if we leave and they then get blamed that the Empire doesn't magically reconstitute itself), but in a perfect world they'd actually do their jobs - Parliament is sovereign in the UK, and that's the end of it. Referenda have no part in our constitution and leaving is self-evidently national suicide.

At the very least they need to get an actual vote passed saying "gently caress no deal, if we can't settle on anything we stay in" and work from there.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Gort posted:

How does that square with his previous comments to the tune of, "We'll give you extra negotiating time if there's a change in government"?

The EUs primary concern is with the withdrawal agreement (the future relationship statement is for the future after all) and the primary complaint with that is the backstop agreement which the EU unsprisingly insists is the best possible offer they are willing to give on the matter.

The two remained tangled together because they will be voted on together but as far as the EU is concerned the terms of the actual divorce and transition which necessarily excludss the post-transition relationship is fully squared away to their satisfaction and shade being thrown at the terms of the backstop will be given extremely short shrift

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junior G-man posted:

Nah. It's extremely typical EU behaviour. You will find that there's always a fudge to be made if people want it and you're important enough. The UK isn't Greece so you'll get one.

Like, if Labour says 'actually we want to stay 100% in the single market', I can see that happening. But what does Labour want that May's deal doesn't get them? They won't even answer the phone to "pay less and no backstop" imo

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1068573123367202816

Good news, finally. Shocked to hear that the racist bully has family that live abroad. Never could have seen it coming.
The loving state of those comments.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dave48533915/status/1068580963356209152

while I don't condone hounding a child until he's fearful of his life, no matter how much of a hateful racist poo poo he is, maybe he might learn that his actions have consequences from all this. (lol of course he won't, and all of this is fuel for the 'why do the forriners get special treatment' fire)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It'd be brilliant if racists got hounded by hundreds of men, they might not be racist for a bit