Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Astroman posted:

I've been rewatching the entire show with my dad in anticipation of the movie, and while I don't think we'll be quite up to the end by Friday, we did just finish Season 2. Watching that finale, it blew me away how much plot happened in that one episode:

-Hearst arriving
-Wolcott getting his end
-EB selling the hotel to Hearst, followed by Hearst's "renovations"
-Al manipulating Hearst into ending the war among the Chinese and killing San Francisco Cocksucker Lee
-Adams proving his worth to Al both in the office and in the street, and making friends with Dan
-Alma and Ellsworth getting married
-Jane and Joanie becoming even better friends
-Bullock and Al successfully snowing over Jarry into a Yankton alliance on their terms
-Tolliver attempting(?) to blackmail Hearst
-Tolliver getting stabbed

The way it was all intercut by the wedding was masterful, reminding me of The Godfather. That is probably one of the best season finales in the history of tv.

I'm glad I rewatched because there's a lot of major stuff I just forgot, like William dying, Andy Cramed coming back as a minister, etc.

I finished my rewatch today and I feel like most episodes are pretty dense; not quite this dense, but so much happens in each one.

On my first watch I feel like my mind was all AL SWEARENGEN!! but this rewatch I appreciated much more other characters like Trixie, Doc Cochran, and Farnum. Also watching/reading interviews of the show I learned that the actor who played Farnum's sidekick Richardson was only there as an extra, but was noticed on the set and became a character on the show. Pretty cool!

The ending to the series bothered me a lot like it did many others but not so much this go around, and I don't know if that's because the movie is just about out to give more of a conclusion or knowing what was coming and feeling that the tone of the season 3 ending isn't out of line. But I wanted Hearst to get hosed, I hated him so goddamn much, loving cocksucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

SimonCat posted:

The whole point of Hearst, as a guilded age robber-baron, is that he's so wealthy he is untouchable and can do anything. It's not at all fair, but that's the reality of it.

Gilded-age cocksucking piece of poo poo, loving cocksucker. I knew poo poo wouldn't happen to him, but I still hoped.

This interview with Timothy Olyphant https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/timothy-olyphant-deadwood-the-movie-seth-bullock.html about the actor Garret Dillahunt that played two characters, Jack McCall and Francis Wolcott has a part in the movie:

quote:

I heard Dillahunt was in this. He was the only actor to play two roles on Deadwood, and now he’s got the trifecta.
He played Drunk Number Two! He didn’t even get top drunk! [Laughs.] Talk about a reason to call your agent. “Hey, why am I not Drunk Number One?”
Haha that's great. Will keep an eye out for him.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
It was lovely and satisfying, very happy with all of the movie. There’s a lot to like but I particularly enjoyed Calamity Jane’s part at the end, and Joannie’s line to her.
Also I plan to watch it a second time with the captioning on :)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

PerilPastry posted:

Was that loving Con Stapleton officiating?

I must admit I hated the flashbacks, but I can't imagine they weren't due to studio notes. Within the constraints of a short movie, the rest was everything I could have hoped for and more.

It sadly lent an extra poignancy to McShane's performance, yeah.

Yeah that was Con Stapleton! Hard to tell at first since he wasn't immediately befuddled by something.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Sand Monster posted:

Timothy Olyphant shares some funny David Milch stories from the show's run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih-AZizaB9w

MrMojok posted:

I didn’t know Welliver did impressions, but theee are great

https://youtu.be/fS_lE_AcD2k?si=bqzmq-m2SSWFTNoz

These are both great