Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Only Trump can lose a fight with a dead guy.

John Ashcroft begs to differ.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm expecting a cadaver synod before the 4th of July

"Old man yells at corpse"

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I very badly want to see see Trump do an impression of the McCain two thumbs up with the arms barely lifted.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JasonV posted:

Nikki Haley discovers that people in Finland not only have good health care, but they have twitter as well.

https://twitter.com/NikkiHaley/status/1108473913984647170

Your average American lives 20 miles or so from the place where they were born and precious few Americans live or know anyone who lives outside of the country.

If you told them that Finnish people grind the bones of people who can't afford healthcare to make their daily bread they would probably believe it unironically.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Your average American lives 20 miles or so from the place where they were born and precious few Americans live or know anyone who lives outside of the country.

If you told them that Finnish people grind the bones of people who can't afford healthcare to make their daily bread they would probably believe it unironically.

Wouldn't mandatory travel abroad be a wonderful thing? Like if we had a real state, whose purpose was to promote the general welfare. You'd get done with high school and spend a year or two circumnavigating the globe doing volunteer work and learning about how actual people live. Then go on to free college/trade school.

Full gay space communism now.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

JasonV posted:

Nikki Haley discovers that people in Finland not only have good health care, but they have twitter as well.

https://twitter.com/NikkiHaley/status/1108473913984647170

Brilliant job on Bernie's part because conservatives have been misunderstanding Finland's healthcare issues and it's been in conservative news outlets lately so he essentially got her to reply with some half-remembered conservative hit piece that makes her look like an idiot.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Wouldn't mandatory travel abroad be a wonderful thing? Like if we had a real state, whose purpose was to promote the general welfare. You'd get done with high school and spend a year or two circumnavigating the globe doing volunteer work and learning about how actual people live. Then go on to free college/trade school.

Full gay space communism now.

but people already go and survive the military meat grinder and a non zero amount of them are still or become pieces of poo poo.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

pseudanonymous posted:

Max Planck: "a new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

This is equally true of economics and politics. The problem is the boomers are going to doom everyone with them by not dying soon enough.

The boomers are dying, friend. The average age of a boomer is around 65 years old, and with that comes a mortality rate of 0.5%-2% per year (depending on individual circumstances). If we take the midpoint of 1.25% and apply that to the ~75 million boomers, we get an estimate of a little under a million boomers dying every year. That number will continue to go up - in ten years' time the mortality rate will be triple what it is currently.

So in 2020 there will be roughly 3 million fewer boomers than in 2016, and in 2024 there will be roughly 8 million fewer boomers than 2016. Their influence is rapidly waning.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Seph posted:

The boomers are dying, friend. The average age of a boomer is around 65 years old, and with that comes a mortality rate of 0.5%-2% per year (depending on individual circumstances). If we take the midpoint of 1.25% and apply that to the ~75 million boomers, we get an estimate of a little under a million boomers dying every year. That number will continue to go up - in ten years' time the mortality rate will be triple what it is currently.

So in 2020 there will be roughly 3 million fewer boomers than in 2016, and in 2024 there will be roughly 8 million fewer boomers than 2016. Their influence is rapidly waning.

Except they had kids and passed on their lovely ideas to them. See also: Maga teen chuds harassing native Indians and theatric grifters like Tomi Lahren.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

PhazonLink posted:

but people already go and survive the military meat grinder and a non zero amount of them are still or become pieces of poo poo.

Since when is the goal of the military to do volunteer work and learn about other cultures?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Except they had kids and passed on their lovely ideas to them. See also: Maga teen chuds harassing native Indians and theatric grifters like Tomi Lahren.

The worst part is those are a great proof of history happening first as tragedy, then as farce.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

I dream of a world where literally every response to Trump in every context by every person is "Just shut the gently caress up"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Seph posted:

and the commie boomers will outlive the rest because they aren't shoving McD's down their pie holes every day.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Elephant Ambush posted:

millennial whites are somewhat left of boomer whites

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Who do you think produced Millennials lol, did we just emerge from the ether? Some legendary lost tribe of more left wing nomads whose current whereabouts are unknown?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't understand people using one or two examples propped up by the media as evidence while simultaneously ignoring actual data that says the complete opposite.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1108770204312580097

the dumbest part isn't the inclusion of maduro but the fact we';re responsible for pol pot and saddam.

What was Saddam guilty of that Turkey isn't just as guilty of (gassing the Kurds)?

I'm seriously asking, I don't actually know. Other than invading Kuwait, he seemed to be a "model US ally" in the region.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Boomers on average are more conservative than subsequent generations, even when you account for the age differences. Of course there are lovely people in every generation, but the boomers are especially lovely (on average) and them dying will be a net gain for society.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Except all the research indicates this isn't true and your'e just being confused by social media amplifying the worst.

MrSargent posted:

I don't understand people using one or two examples propped up by the media as evidence while simultaneously ignoring actual data that says the complete opposite.

I do. The problems with the US are hard, so you get these "nothing matters" takes that justify inaction.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MrSargent posted:

What I'm saying is that dead boomers don't take their garbage opinions with them.

Yes, things are getting better but "just wait for boomers to die" isn't a strategy for a better world.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grape posted:

Who do you think produced Millennials lol, did we just emerge from the ether? Some legendary lost tribe of more left wing nomads whose current whereabouts are unknown?

tbf my mother is Philadelphian so she's basically a Mad Max communist barbarian by inclination and sartorial style

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Elephant Ambush posted:

What I'm saying is that dead boomers don't take their garbage opinions with them.

Yes, things are getting better but "just wait for boomers to die" isn't a strategy for a better world.

They actually do seem to take some of that with them.

Nobody is relying on that as the *only* strategy though, and it's weird that you think that.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Waiting for the boomers to die isn't a strategy on its own, but it's certainly easier to paddle with the current than against it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It is irrational. They literally can't comprehend how badly everyone under 40 got hosed.

They’re very heavy on decorum because for some I guess that means a more elegant high class means of dealing with things. Elevating one’s self and being cool calm and collected while trying to solve disputes. The problem is the young can’t deal with them on that level and have to fight for some voice. Otherwise what they’ve done is enslave the younger generation and exploit them for their own gain like through college loans. They reaped the benefit of the Greatest Generation, went to the moon, then got doomsday cult and selfish as gently caress, sent the world to poo poo for future generations and got entitled in their older age refusing to progress. Or at least have vision and understand where the world is going.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its just nothing matterisms, the last few surveys and data collection efforts in the past years or so has been showing that younger generations trend more left then millennials. Turns out school shootings and knowing your future is going to be at risk due to climate change are pretty big factors.

Yes, kids still grow up conservative but its objectively less than before.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

millennial whites are somewhat left of boomer whites

White millennials are just as racist as their grandparents

I don't know why white people keep on repeating this myth, but it isn't true.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

A WAPO OP ED is not data.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Yeah, but luckily there's less of them now to gently caress things up.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Actually they aren't

I don't know why white peolpe keep on repeating this myth, but it isn't true.

Guess which one of us actually linked to data.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RuanGacho posted:

A WAPO OP ED is not data.

Have some data from the GSS then

Not really shocked that people are trying to downplay racism among white youth.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

There's a stark lack of data supporting that claim in that column.

How about some polling data on a good proxy question

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

MrSargent posted:

Since when is the goal of the military to do volunteer work and learn about other cultures?

In the Navy, at least, every port we hit had multiple volunteer opportunities to help local communities. The thing is though the people that go to them are already people that skew left, at least in my experience.

I think the other posters point though was many people in the military experience different cultures and see how other countries live. To say that all we have to do is send people overseas and that will fix the complaint of Americans not being cultured enough or too ignorant to give a poo poo is probably wrong though. Even in the full gay space communism scenario of sending everyone abroad youd still have a bunch of conservatives in the population.

Joke answer to that quote is how else do we learn where to bomb and what insurgencies to arm?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/EenaRuffini/status/1108855298679169024

gently caress these lunatics.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

twice burned ice posted:

There's a stark lack of data supporting that claim in that column.

in no world will arguing with CLB ever accomplish anything

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Do you not have "boomers" in your tree? Where does your enlightenment come from?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Seph posted:

Boomers on average are more conservative than subsequent generations, even when you account for the age differences. Of course there are lovely people in every generation, but the boomers are especially lovely (on average) and them dying will be a net gain for society.

And "boomers" on average are less conservative than their parents. And so it goes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

This is why it's so important to disaggregate Jewish people worldwide in general, and Jewish Americans in particular, from AIPAC and the Israel lobby. At this point the main thrust behind the Zionist apartheid movement is from American Evangelicals. That's probably a "duh" statement for most people here, but still, it deserves to be underlined, imo.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Reminder since it was 40 days and 40 nights ago:

"Before Middle East trip, Pompeo briefs religion reporters"

"In a 10-minute call, Pompeo said he was in his home state of Kansas the day before his trip to Kuwait City, Beirut and Jerusalem. The briefing was touted as a discussion about international religious freedom, which wasn’t one of the questions raised. At the start of the call, it was announced that it was for 'faith-based media.'"

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-middle-east/2019/03/19/before-middle-east-trip-pompeo-briefs-religion-reporters/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Imagine thinking for one moment that Donald loving Trump was the fulfillment of some biblical prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Imagine thinking for one moment that Donald loving Trump was the fulfillment of some biblical prophecy.

iunno, "revelations was about the decline of the Roman Empire, which is ultimately a cyclical process due to the moral failures of humanity" sounds about right