Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

That tweet makes me irrationally angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

The centrist media spin against AOC is pretty incredible. She has an interview, is misquoted, and now that misquote is being used to write lovely opeds.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

eyebeem posted:

I'm 36 and I've been doing the "ok" sign since I was a kid. I don't even think about it before I do it.

It being a white power symbol is something I've literally never seen outside of Somethingawful, and I'd wager none of my friends/family would have any idea that its a "thing."

I'm 34 and I've literally never done the Okay sign except when I was playing the circle game.

My anecdotal evidence cancels yours out!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Popete posted:

Not necessarily though. Minnesota/Wisconsin/Illinois/Michigan can all lean quite liberal. You could say Great Lakes though and that would be a much more liberal political sub-region in the Midwest.

I think theres probably an enormous brain drain problem in those places, at least Wisconsin. We've gone from a pretty progressive state when I was growing up to steadily more conservative. Evers barely won the governorship, and the house and Senate are both co trolled by conservatives. I mean Scott Walker won 3 elections here. Granted Tammy Baldwin won her reelection but I think a lot of that has to do with Leah Vulkmir (sp) being an awful candidate. I see a ton of my liberal friends fleeing the state and unless you're in Milwaukee or Madison you're in conservative hell.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone expects Wisconsin to go Blue in 2020, but I wouldn't be certain.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Haha had to :sever: with some people I've been playing games with for a couple of years because they were vehemently defending alt-right gateways like pewdiepie. To be honest I've always known they were on the right of the political spectrum and it's always been exhausting dealing with most of them but I didn't think it would come to a point where I'd rather just not ever talk to them again.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Syfe posted:

I find it galling that governments around the world still continue to allow the sale/use training of weapons which have one design, to kill other people.

I understand the ones that have a hunting purpose, that's different, those people actually use those guns. Generally, usually, on hunting. For me it seems to be the perplexing issue of, why buy something that has a very specific use without ever using it. It's human nature to want to use it, you've bought it, considered what it does. They don't buy them because they're all secretly super engineers who appreciate the solid engineering of this mass death machine. It's because someday they're going to not be able to resist trying it out.

Can you imagine buying a crockpot, but you never use it, you tell people about it, it's a major hobby even, you show people when they come over. Go over it's uses and settings and poo poo. But hey, it's not going to get used. As somebody who has bought games for collecting purposes I even know that when it's the only copy I have, I can sit there and mull over opening it. I no longer even collect to that degree, I just open it and play the goddamn thing. But a gun that's sole purpose is to wound/maim/kill other people, then there is only one kind of mulling that has to occur. I guarantee that just owning a non-hunting gun that never gets used causes all sorts of psychosis to bubble forth.

So it's really sad to see governments either shrug or vehemently defend the right to have their constituents boil a personal mental illness around murder.

Most people that have a ton of ARs do use them. They shoot them all the time, whether it be at the range or on their own land. I understand your point is 'these are made for killing people' but a lot of gun owners see that as a worst case scenario and find it fun to target shoot. Obviously this isnt an excuse for semi auto rifles to be available for sale or exist in any capacity, but to say they arent used is kind of disingenuous.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Syfe posted:

Perhaps, I am talking about their use in specific. Though I can see your point, to me basically hobbiest guns should be for hunting, I barely feel okay about handgun ranges for the fun of it, I personally feel it's a thin line. But I'll admit I don't delve too deep personally into the hobby to know how safe that one is from some level of mental illness.

But honestly, once you start getting into bigger and more complex weapons and peripherals, where more and more it divorces from handguns at the range to just weapons testing and training. This doubles down with other things in our culture as well that I think perpetuate the illusions of grandeur with killing sprees. But I still feel like, with an AR, with something more, you're not hobbying anymore. You don't buy a gun that can kill x people a minute to shoot at the range for funzies, and even if people do just quietly enjoy them, the amount of ticking time bombs it creates to allow the private sale of those weapons in your culture, is just not worth it. (unless it's a conservative politician of course, where their illusion of grandeur seems to be controlling those mentally ill masses)

The thing with a lot of hobbies is the deeper you go and more into it you are the more complex or esoteric it becomes. This is true whether you collect video games (hey guys anyone ever see a spectrum before?/check out my monster rig with crossfire graphics cards) or guns (hey guys check out all this tacticool poo poo I have on my AR/look at this mini14 I have from vietnam). I know this sounds absolutely insane if you're from a country with actual gun laws, and that's because it is.

I dont disagree with you. My position is melt them all down but I have to play by the rules we currently have, so maybe we could start curbstomping anything that can chamber more then 5 rounds because who the gently caress needs a 20 round magazine unless you're doing a mass shooting?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

TheScott2K posted:

If you're contending that target shooting isn't an obvious fig leaf for the obvious hero fantasy that powers American "gun culture" I'm all ears. If you're just being a contrarian shitass then have fun producing white noise, I guess.

I'm fairly confident that sporting Clay's and skeet shooting arent hero fantasies.

Are there people that head to indoor ranges and aim for headshots and poo poo? Yes and they're mostly idiots.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

PT6A posted:

Can we all agree that guns and explosives of various sorts are pretty fun and that's not in itself evidence of a mental problem?

Of course. Well I mean I can, but judging from how this discussion is going down, and past discussions in this thread about this, I dont think you'll get the buy in you're looking for.

PT6A posted:

That doesn't mean the fun is worth the risk they pose to society, though, and saying "I want to keep my guns because they're fun, gently caress the consequences"

I dont think any of the gun owners in this thread are saying that. There are people that say that though, and I agree, its hosed. The last time my brother was in town we had a 'discussion' about this, and after telling him how cool it was that his niece and nephew have to go through active shooter drills and that not affecting them I point blank asked him if his gun rights trumped all the dead. He said it did, so yea, hes hosed in the head regarding guns.

I think where posters lose the thread are when they paint all gun owners with an incredibly broad brush and think because I shoot sporting clays with an over and under because it's fun and helps prepare me for bird hunting that I'm also constantly thinking of murdering everyone. Its gross and the posters in here are better than that.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Besesoth posted:

So this is what "all ears" looks like. :nallears: There's an exciting amount of "I've just decided that I'm right" in the thread today because everyone's found a group of people they can sneer at while still seeming like they're leftist.

This is par for the course in this thread. Everytime posting in here goes into the direction of guns when Trump news is slow it turns into this, and I'm a dude who's position is literally 'melt all guns'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

MrSargent posted:

Since when is the goal of the military to do volunteer work and learn about other cultures?

In the Navy, at least, every port we hit had multiple volunteer opportunities to help local communities. The thing is though the people that go to them are already people that skew left, at least in my experience.

I think the other posters point though was many people in the military experience different cultures and see how other countries live. To say that all we have to do is send people overseas and that will fix the complaint of Americans not being cultured enough or too ignorant to give a poo poo is probably wrong though. Even in the full gay space communism scenario of sending everyone abroad youd still have a bunch of conservatives in the population.

Joke answer to that quote is how else do we learn where to bomb and what insurgencies to arm?