Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Tibalt posted:

It doesn't actually fix the issue with the electoral college, it just changes the states you need to win.

It does reduce the outsized influence of those Vermont bastards though.

It would help the electoral college to some degree, in that the larger the house is the harder it is to win the presidency while losing the popular vote. It wouldn't fix the first-past-the-post issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

haveblue posted:

The electoral college could be nullified by the NPVIC, but how to get every state to pass it and continue to abide by it when it costs them power is left as an exercise for the reader.

You don't need every state to pass it

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

So isn't 2020 a pretty lovely map for the Senate too? If I'm not mistaken vulnerable Republican senators = Cordy Gardner(Col), Susan Collins (Maine), and Thom Tillis (North Carolina).

But the Dems also have like 3-4 (at least) vulnerable Senators in coin flip states.

I guess if there's a massive blue wave and the Dems keep building momentum maybe there could be some unexpected gains but if it didn't happen last night I'm struggling to see how it could happen in 2020 unless some Obama-like hope and change savant emerges.

Turns out every election is a lovely map for the Democrats in the Senate.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

No. You use the Senate to gerrymander the House districts, and thus depress voter turnout by making it look like nothing matters.

I should have been more clear, sorry.

What? House districts are gerrymandered by the states.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the most obvious solution to this problem is to try to find an issue in the democrats' wheelhouse that tests well in such areas

like, i dunno. medicare for all. minimum wage hikes.

I agree. There's a lot of people in this forum who've been banging the message that it's impossible to convince Republicans to vote Democratic and that elections are all about turning out your side. That may work in the House and for the presidency, but frankly it isn't going to work in the Senate. Democrats are going to have to find a way to convince R voters in these rural states that the Republican party does not have their best interests at heart. It's not easy but there isn't much of a choice.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Sure would have been nice to have taken the Senate.... Or at least closed the margin in case one or two Republicans found their spines

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

mdemone posted:

Have any Democrats managed to squeak out some noises about Sessions yet?

https://twitter.com/RepJerryNadler/status/1060259307567091713?s=20

(Top dem on the house judiciary committee)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Unfortunately the most important action that could be taken on gun control is to put liberals on SCOTUS so that at least sane states could start putting restrictions on guns.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
FUUUUUCK

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

KingNastidon posted:

And the left want it to be a white conservative as a political "win" that would justify criticism of conservative rhetoric and strengthen the case for gun control. We could just wait 12 hours for the shooter's actual identity rather than blindly speculating and hoping it's someone we don't like. Gives the bodies time to cool off a bit.

Maybe on the first point, but as to the case for gun control it doesn't matter who it is

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/1060533984902430720

Seems she was able to spend all night without going to the hospital. Hopefully a sign that it isn't too bad.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

eke out posted:

do y'all think fractured ribs means she's dead or something

it seems like something un-severe enough to where you don't even go to the hospital initially is probably not the life-and-death we're hosed crisis

When people are 85 falls are extremely serious. That's around the age my grandmother fell and she died a few weeks later.

That said, this one doesn't seem that bad, based on what we've heard. But we haven't heard a lot.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
If she gets out of the hospital, RGB needs to be in one of these for the rest of her life

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

Manchin was the deciding vote to put a massive anti-lgbt and anti-woman bigot on to the Supreme Court- where said bigot is promptly going to work very hard to take away rights from those groups. At the time support for Mansion was justified because he was necessary to flip the Senate, and like all mcgarty posters who objected I was lectured repeatedly on how flipping the Senate would justify all the ill that Manchin was doing.

What I am saying is that you might want to check your privilege there yt before you go lecturing about how Manchin is good, especially post Kacanaugh, Manchin is objectively not good- he is arguably necessary and support for him is potentially justifiable. But he is simply not good and you sound incredibly privileged/out of touch when you insist that he is.

This is false, he was not the deciding vote

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

No, he was literally the deciding vote. He should have at the very least forced the Republicans to do whatever they would have had to do to pass Kavanagh without him- instead he chose to be the deciding vote and to give one of the GOP Senators a hall pass.

When it came time to actually put the votes down on record Manchin was the deciding vote. That's what matters here.

50-48. If it were 49-49, Pence puts him in. That is not the deciding vote.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

When it came time to actually do the deed, he cast the deciding vote. That's what matters.

No, he chose to be the deciding vote (because he perceived personal gain in throwing LGBT/Women under the bus) instead of making Pence do it.

No one cares about your made up definition of a deciding vote. If he voted the other way Kavanaugh would still be confirmed. That is not "deciding."

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

VP only breaks the tie if it's 50-50

Nope.

Here's Pence breaking a 49-49 tie: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00040

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

I imagine its quite nice to live in such a privileged bubble that you can trivially sacrifice other people's liberties and rights for potential gains- and when it doesn't pan out you just kind of shrugg your shoulders and go "that's how the cookie crumbles". :shrug:

The ends are stupid and pointless when you don't actually get the ends.

When you make a huge sacrifice and don't get anything in return, then yeah the sacrifice was not worth it. The reason our conversation is breaking down though is because you didn't make that sacrifice, other people did. Specifically LGBT and women. As you are none of those categories this is purely an intellectual exercise to you. You aren't going to directly suffer the consequences of what cabinet does to LGBT or reproductive rights so this is just like a game to you.

When his vote mattered and millions of people's healthcare was one the line, he voted the right way.

When his vote didn't matter, on Kavanugh, who would have been confirmed regardless, he voted the wrong way.

It's weird that you prefer the symbolic victories over the ones that materially affect people, while at the same time accusing those who prefer the material victories of living in a "privileged bubble."

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
How many Senate races are still undetermined? Looks like Florida will definitely be recounted.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Manchin filibustered the DREAM Act when every Democratic vote mattered because a few Republicans had crossed the aisle to support it.

I get what you're saying on ACA, but "Manchin only votes bad when it doesn't matter" is not strictly correct.

You're correct on that. He's not good, I think he's just less bad, in ways that can matter sometimes. Anyway no more Manchinchat.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
We should think about violent white guys, in terms of how to de-radicalize them. Too bad the Trump admin ended a program to do exactly that, right after the mail bombings.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

marshmonkey posted:

This thread perfectly illustrates why it’s futile to debate conservatives, chiefly that their “beliefs” will shift to suit their need to troll you: https://twitter.com/AmandaMarcotte/status/1060511898347692032

"Tribal epistemology" like this is definitely a feature of what's been happening on the right over the past decade
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/22/14762030/donald-trump-tribal-epistemology

quote:

Over time, this leads to what you might call tribal epistemology: Information is evaluated based not on conformity to common standards of evidence or correspondence to a common understanding of the world, but on whether it supports the tribe’s values and goals and is vouchsafed by tribal leaders. “Good for our side” and “true” begin to blur into one.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It's a shame the word "shill" has essentially become a gendered insult, because Jill rhymes with shill, and Dr. Stein is 100 percent a sell-out to the conspiracy elements of her party. Her earlier career is indicative that she's smart enough to know better, which means, ironically, that she's just the kind of politician people who are voting for her hate the most: a cynical opportunist.

Are you confusing "shill" with "shrill"? Because calling someone a "shill" isn't gendered at all to my knowledge.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

:woop: :woop: :woop:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

All the time? We just didn't have an overwhelming number of impeachable crimes going down during the Obama admin, and Bush was more of a "war crime" kind of guy

I dunno, this was pretty bad

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

There's a ton of climate change stuff in that posted agenda too.

I also suspect the talk of working with Trump is just that, talk. Maybe we can convince the orange idiot to work with us on some infrastructure bills because he likes putting his name on things! But, y'know, they're also going to be running multiple committee investigations into him so I don't think it's likely he'll be willing to try to work with Pelosi.

No need to speculate, it's basically spelled out right there that that's exactly what it is. Write up some reasonable bills and put the ball in the senate/trump's court. They either pass/sign it or they don't, either way the Dems look better for 2020.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

What fresh hell is this? Is he actually sending lawyers or just bragging on twitter?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1060996667942539264

I assume Mitch will continue to say that everything's fine and he see no need for such legislation all the way up until Trump fires Mueller, at which point he will note his concerns and continue to do nothing.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
This thread sometimes...

"Every vote should count and everyone should have the opportunity to vote" is both the morally correct position and beneficial to Democrats. There's no need to make some kind of devil's bargain here.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Worth noting that three more red states (Idaho, Nebraska and Utah) expanded Medicaid last week. Also with LePage out in Maine he can't stonewall their expansion anymore.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
https://twitter.com/PoliticsReid/status/1062133704229863426?s=20

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
John Dingell wants the Senate abolished:

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1069967043942891521?s=20

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
The lame duck session is a dumb idea that needs to be abolished

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Can't the incoming governor or state government just say "gently caress you, we are doing it anyway" when these fucks are out of power? It's not like they actually care about rules.

If Dems won control of the legislature then it wouldn't be an issue, but Republicans held control. The reason Republicans are doing this in the lame duck is they need the republican governor's signature before he's replaced with a democrat, who would veto.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Feels like I say this every week, but is his brain melting? That Blumenthal tweet is insane

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

goethe.cx posted:

I'm just saying I don't think there's anything inherently unsanitary about pee bottles, as long as you throw them out before they hit triple digits

e: uhhh wrong thread

:yikes:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Didn't expect this

https://twitter.com/dannowicki/status/1072564703119970304

I assume that the bill must be bad then?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

Actually pretty good and popular, iirc

Something good happening while republicans are in charge? Well I'll take it

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Is Mulvaney the guy who has like 10 jobs or am I thinking of someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Congratulations to the new Secretary of the Interior, Mick Mulvaney